Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Malachite_Dragon posted:

So, status quo has reasserted itself? Or is that not Megatron?

Robots in Disguise was part of IDW's old TF continuity, although that is Galvatron (who was distinct from Megatron in that series).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, Dave Mazucchelli will absolutely draw Kingpin putting somebody's face on backwards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

seaborgium posted:

She was specifically raised in Egypt I believe, at least for most of her time in the comics. Maybe they changed it at some point.

Storm's history's always been basically 'born in New York, raised in Egypt' if it helps. I think her dad was American and her mom Kenyan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

seaborgium posted:

Ahh, ok. All I ever remembered was that she was a street urchin in Cairo.

Understandable. That's what gets the most play, aside from the 'worshiped as a goddess' thing (which gets a lot less now).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Honestly, while I usually like timeskips for whatever reason, the one in One Piece really killed my momentum and interest. I've been going through it on the Jump app, but now I'm kind of forcing myself to get back to it, rather than being compelled to. That, and original Franky was, indeed, perfection.

Honestly that did the exact same thing to me. Nami and Robin's redesigns don't really help either, nor do their role in the story to when I finally dropped off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Joe Fisto posted:

Is there any explanation on how Harley is a prisoner at Belle Reve w/the Suicide Squad and also everywhere else?

Originally Suicide Squad took play before her series, I believe, and now... kinda in between, I guess?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Elfface posted:

He should cut off Joker's legs. Much less threatening, and doesn't break the rule on killing.

I'm suddenly reminded of Jim Valentino's Shadowhawk who would break people's spines, although I guess would hit too close to home with Bruce.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

oriongates posted:

Manga can have it's own negative cycles they can fall into, mostly long-running shonen titles (and a few other titles like Detective Conan) where it enters its own sort of stasis where storylines repeat but with bigger numbers or arbitrarily larger stakes.

Also manga creators can be at the mercy of their editors to a ridiculous degree.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

He stood alone at Gjallerbru and that is enough.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wouldn't that just be Kirby dots?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Who's Freddy?

Captain Marvel Jr.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Captain Marvel is a 12 year old boy who turns into a grown rear end adult when he says Shazam? Why is there a teenage Captain Marvel? Is he like a middle aged dude who turn into a super powered teen when he says Shazam? A toddler who turns into a teenager?

Because Billy shared the wizard's power with Mary and Freddie, now his foster brother and sister in the current continuity. Also his other foster siblings whose names I forget but were in the movie.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Double post but the new Black Widow series is really good and gorgeous.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Moulson's is Canadian isn't it? That'd be recognizable to most Americans.

That's Puck's favorite beer, for whatever it's worth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

A female Turtle? The return of Venus?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. They brought back (sort of) the Mighty Mutanimals.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

The mighty mutanimal books rule.

Do we have a version of Wingnut and Screwloose?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurdiak posted:

I cannot recommend those books enough.

So just start at the first issue and go? (Perhaps ideally waiting for a Comixology sale?)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

As of right now Part One is complete but they haven't said when Part Two will start. They've been putting it out in collected volumes but if you're in America the best way to read it is by signing up for Viz's Shonen Jump service as it is just $1.99 a month and you have everything available from the get go. You also get access to a bunch of currently running and classic series like One Piece, One Punch Man, Demon Slayer, Dragon Ball/Z/Super and JJBA up to Diamond is Unbreakable.

That remains a truly absurd deal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

The other bonkers part is how they're putting out current stuff literally days after it drops in Japan. No more waiting weeks/months for official translations or having to go through a scanlation group that adds a bunch of swears for some reason.

So Kishimoto didn't want Naruto to swear like a sailor? Huge if true! (I kid, that was always super annoying.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/paulsmithdraws/status/1351568518534344709

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shiori Experience is hitting all the tropes, in a good way.

Kurt Cobain just showed up.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, for a space horse with a magic hammer it's hard to think of a time when they've dropped the ball with Bill.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. Modern stuff is at its worst because it has catered heavily to that but the concept has been around for years. Escaflowne is an isekai and it owns.

El-Hazard, too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Infinitum posted:

Isekai stories typically have the protagonist die and be reincarnated + gain fantastic powers.

And they are so often done in by being hit by a truck (usually the protagonist is trying to save somebody to do one good thing in their lives) it is not thought that it is the same truck and its name is Truck-kun.

The best isekai is of course KonoSuba where the protagonist was trying to save a girl from being hit by a tractor but didn't realize how slow it was going and was in no danger of hitting her and then promptly dying of shock in such a way even the doctor and his family couldn't help but laugh at him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It might help to note that the above is called 'Kaiju Number 8' to make it easier to search for and so you do not, as I did, spend a while being very confused at the turn Naoki Urasawa's taut psychological thriller takes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

i also don't think jubilee can split atoms and destroy the universe with infinite atomic bombs or whatever the gently caress people thought

Was Jubilee one of the 'she could destroy the world' mutants at one point?

I only ask because like everybody could be at one point. "One day Skin could COVER THE ENTIRE EARTH IN HIS SKIN."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/MarvelDailyArt/status/1309363766371418112

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How Wonderful! posted:

That arc was a ton of fun, he really made Dr. Octopus' arms look menacing in a way nobody really had before. Say what you will about some of the narrative elements of the whole thing but I think his Doc Ock is one of the great comic book glow ups of the 90s.

Sadly it became another episode in the slap fight between Larsen and Peter David, but I liked it too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

Nope, previously it was Argonite. Which is similar, but not the same as the element Argon.
Just like how Kryptonite is similar but nor the same as the element Krypton.

Look, Gru really wanted to write for DC but never got the chance, okay?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

And then Taylor did Injustice 2 which is even better.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CannonFodder posted:

Is Plastic Man ever shown without the goggles?

At least once, in JLA #52. They'd been separated into their civilian identities and superhero identities for reasons that escape me and Eel beat up Bruce Wayne.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

10 Beers posted:

There's a great scene in Marauders where Callisto meets up with them. She throws a knife at Storm, who catches it, then hug and say hi. Pyro is watching open-mouthed and says something like "They just throw knives at each other's faces! No wonder we never beat them." Everyone forgets how badass Storm is.

Which makes the whole 'Madeline Pryor was making Cyclops hold back in the fight' explanation annoying as anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

Born Again is so loving good. I think, as a whole, Bendis' run on Daredevil might be better than Frank Miller's, but as a single story Born Again is probably the best. It's very weird that no adaptation of Daredevil has tried to do a straight adaptation of it. I guess season 3 of the Netlfix show was a version of it?

If somebody called Born Again the best Daredevil story, best Marvel story or even best comics story I don't know I would argue much.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Is there a story reason as to why Betsy is Asian again?

That's just how Mahmud Asrar draws. She's still white.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Although one mild thing with More Than Meets The Eye, Megatron doesn't show up for Reasons until a little ways into the book. Still good and you should read the whole thing, though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BooDooBoo posted:

That's Guzzle, The Wreckers don't tend to get well-known characters, other than Springer.

It took ages to get an Impactor figure.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Hayden Panettiere's character work at a comic store for a while?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's also the show that made Marvel decision makers believe Jeph Loeb was capable of running the MCU's tv wing.

Was Loeb Heroes' showrunner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ManiacClown posted:

One thing I've learned is that if Jeph Loeb is involved in any meaningful capacity, expect the finished product to crash and burn. In fact, Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine taught me to assume that if anyone involved in Lost is involved you should assume the product will also be late, possibly unbelievably so.

I still hold a grudge for Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. "Kids don't like serialized storytelling." Well, maybe not when you do it, but they were fine with it up until you came on the show.