Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FredMSloniker posted:

So, uh, did they write Lois out or something? Because the whole 'Superman and Wonder Woman are an item' thing never worked for me.

Superman falling in love with some Godlike superhuman as opposed to "just" a "normal" human being is actually really depressing to me. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do you get Aquaman angry enough to guest star in a gritty Batman comic?

Batman and Robin Aquaman #29

So is that one whale that got hung a convicted murderer or something?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Zombie Tsunami posted:

Wonder if its a visual reference to this. Elephant killed its trainer at a circus stop in Erwin, TN.

:stare:

What message did they think they were sending to the other elephants....? :psyduck:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Now that I think of it, I don't recall ever seeing Mojo show up in a single What If issue.

The Watcher is a snob and would never admit to Watching anything as crass as Mojo TV

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Either those magnetic gloves are drawing the pistols to Jango INCREDIBLY slowly, or Count Dooku (that is Dooku, right?) is talking like Alvin the Chipmunk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

muscles like this? posted:

No, he just blew the helmet up.

Wolverine ends up cutting Magneto's head off shortly after this.

And if I remember right, literally one issue after Morrison's run finished, this was retconned :sigh:

I loved Morrison's X-Men run, if only for bringing in such a varied cast of weird/ugly/strange mutants to mingle in with the usual supermodels.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

The Slavers arc has probably the most hosed up deaths for all the main big bads. The final one in particular is pretty hardcore :stare:

I loved the Up is Down, Black is White arc because the villain miscalculated so badly and he gets hosed over so horribly for it. "Hmmm, I'll dig up Castle's family's remains and piss on them! He'll be super angry and do dumb poo poo and I'll easily kill him." and then the Punisher just calmly murders dozens of people every single night so that even the villain's own gang tells him to gently caress off because they're so scared.

I can't think of anything more chilling than Frank's final words to that guy (Nicky?). He takes him out into the forest, gutshoots him, and tells him,"You made it personal, but all that bought you was some extra pain before you die." :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

Also that was essentially another Garth "boy do I fuckin' hate superheroes" Ennis book so Thor was pretty much doomed to failure regardless.

It's a while since I read it but I'm pretty sure it ends with Thor collecting a team of people from throughout time who successfully fought or had ancestors who fought the Vikings and then proceeding to just beat the poo poo out of the zombie vikings? Or something about the main bad guy's bloodline being the key to his weakness?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dammit Who? posted:

any more than Doctor Doom can be sure he's Doctor Doom.

I can see Doctor Doom wiping Hydra out completely in a fit of pique over this statement.

Doom: Now who would deny Doom is Doom!?!
Hydra: We never said you weren't? And how does this help? This makes no sense at all :gonk:
Doom: SILENCE! :doom:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have no idea what needs to be spoilered here since the movies have been out for awhile now, but figured I'd err on the side of caution.

Captain America 2 was so refreshing, especially after Avengers so casually included stuff like mass surveillance and both exposed and celebrated the way Fury manipulated the Avengers to get them to do what he wanted. Having Winter Soldier then come out and acknowledge that actually this poo poo was terrifying and have a literal Nazi tell Captain America,"Yeah, we basically won because everything went our way in the end" had real impact, and resetting the board by having Cap/Widow/Falcon expose SHIELD and take down the helicarriers was great.

Very disappointing to hear the show has apparently missed this message.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Heresiarch posted:

Dug up a scan so I wouldn't have to find the issue in my longboxes. Seriously, this was one of my favorite comics moments for decades.

Dark Phoenix: HOW DARE YO.... wow, that looks like a REALLY comfortable couch!
Darkseid: I know, right! :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wanderer posted:

As somebody who shares that general look and ancestry, both Tim and Harry are basically the Generic White UK Teenager. It's always fun to watch a Potterhead discover Books of Magic and get all worked up about it for a day or so.

People always claimed Harry loved Ginny or Hermione or Luna or whatever, but I always knew he was profoundly in love with Pandora. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"It was designed by the late Professor X, shortly before his tragic death."

Hmmm, no they're gonna need to be more specific than that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

McSpanky posted:

Doing blatantly inexplicable stuff like flying and reading minds is one thing, but now they're just wiping their asses with the things the rest of us rely on for a stable spacetime continuum :argh:

This is how all the Marvel super-scientists feel whenever Reed comes over and asks in a kind of half-patronizing tone,"So what little project you working on today, buddy? Awww isn't that cute, my daughter was working on that while we were potty training her :3:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Opopanax posted:

If someone called him out on it Reed would just alter the laws of physics to lower the Planck temperature

He could use his time machine to go back and rewrite all the history books and specifically alter everybody's memory EXCEPT for that one dude, so he'd be left spluttering when he continues to insist Reed was wrong but everybody and everything disagrees with him.

My God, this is how Doom happened, isn't it? :aaa:

Edit: For content. Remind me never to make fun of the size of Thor's hammer.

The Mighty Thor, V1 #142

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 1, 2014

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SirDan3k posted:

Marvel cant afford a cork board with the names of dead characters push-pined to it, not if the want to keep the one bathroom open.

They can't afford a cork board with "Uncle Ben" push-pinned into it? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Aquaman is probably doing some Atlantean magic or something.

It's a Guardians of the Galaxy/Justice League crossover. Rocket came up with the plan for the armor and an integral part of that plan was that he needed Aquaman's hand.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm just imagining Batman beating the crap out of some inmate who tried to shank another one, and the poor guy is crying,"But I'm already in prison! :gonk:"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also in the games you can literally murder characters to end each battle, and it doesn't stop them from coming back!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Joe Fisto posted:

In the first issue all the gods are killed. Thor is resurrected as some sort of draugr and begins to kick rear end.

Issue 1: Thor is killed.
Issue 2: Now they've pissed off Thor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

Not sure but think its Fantastic Four: The World's Greatest Comic Magazine

That art is just stunning, wow.

Is it John Buscema? He was always a favorite of mine and that looks like his work to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I thought they gave him his proper costume back but I guess this is just an Elseworld based on the description. Oh well, it still looks great. :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Everything Counts posted:

So when did Joker learn that Bruce is Batman? How many villains is that now who have figured out his identity?

I did like how it was handled with the Riddler. Paraphrased:

Riddler: I know that Bruce Wayne is Batman, and I'm gonna tell everyone unless you work for me from now on :smug:
Batman: Here's a riddle for you.... what use is a riddle when everybody knows the answer?
Riddler: I... uhh... I..... :aaa:
Batman: That's right, you ain't telling nobody poo poo :clint:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Juggernaut is the hero we need (to kill Cyclops).

I haven't read X-Men in awhile, is Cyke still running around flashing X-Symbols with his arms like the adorably dorky militant cult leader he became at the end of X-Men vs Avengers? :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TwoPair posted:

but make no mistake, he dead.

So.... back in 3 months or 6?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Was there ever a space ghost rider who like rode a space shuttle with... fire... coming out...

I didnt think this through

Yeah, his eyes were blue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reminds me a little of one of my favorite bits from Grant Morrison and Howard Porter's run on JLA:

From the Rock of Ages storyline, issue #14

"He's in your head, you big, ugly moron" :hellyeah:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My Philippe, look how you've grown!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Then watch both Bill & Ted movies.

No particular reason why, just I think they're both really neat films :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

WickedHate posted:

observing mortals to see if their worthy of blessing

Spoiler alert: We're not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

If Medusa is there, I presume someone can call Black Bolt.

Every time they call he never says anything though :mad:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

mind the walrus posted:

Tv geek guy was far and away the best. I remember they had an irregular comic book geek and if I recall he would wipe the floor with anyone because 99 people out of 100, especially in 2000 our so didn't know poo poo about comics.

"Here is your question...... is Jean Grey dead?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thanos: Yessssss I'm finally dead, yes! FINALL-
Death: Go home, fuckboy.
Thanos: Goddammit.... :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That whole issue loving owned god drat I loved that story.

The whole run was superb, probably the best FF was since Waid/Weiringo, better in a lot of ways.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Goddamn I loved that issue of DC One Million :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Iron Man: Hey Thor is back? I'm gonna go tell this Thunder God how things are gonna be from now on and make sure he understands I'm his Boss now!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was that before or after Tony "reset" his brain so he lost the registry information and also conveniently forgot all the actions and choices he made during Civil War itself?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I didn't read the Cosmic line, but doesn't Thanos end up being revered as a God in the cancerverse because he brought longed-for death to them at last? Which I think is a cool as poo poo idea.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Retro Futurist posted:

Very much the opposite.

Well, clearly I need to read the Cosmic line then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Savage Sword of Conan was the loving best.

I remember they also did a What If...? where Thor gets sent back to the Hyborian Age and meets Conan. After the requisite fight/team-up (Thor's power is greatly reduced) they travel to the mountain where Crom lives and climb it so Thor can ask to be returned to his own time. They climb for what seems like forever until even Conan can't go any further, so Thor continues alone. Crom casts Thor out as an intruder in his domain so he returns to Conan who tells him he was only gone for seconds. They have some more adventures and Thor ends up dying, and the story ends with Conan climbing Crom's mountain again. I forget exactly how the line goes but it was something like,"On that day Conan climbed a mountain no mere mortal could climb.... and on that day Conan of Cimmeria become something more than mortal." :black101: