Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Vitamin P posted:

A mate is doing a presentation thing for a film course about characters adapted from other mediums, has chosen Doctor Doom and is panicking because it's on in two days.

She's asked me for particularly interesting/resonant stories about the character, all I can think of is the one where he tells a reporter his story then locks her up. Anyone got some prime Doom books?

Fantastic Four #258.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Erik Larsen drew Aunt May like the Crypt-Keeper.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Thank God that story wasn't simultaneous with Capwolf.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Sandman can't be the reformed drinking buddy of the Thing because Lee and Ditko had him as a villain, so he has to have been faking it all along in a way that would make Vince McMahon blush.

*sigh* I wish that was the excuse he'd used...

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Is his skin literally unbreakable or is he invulnerable like Superman is invulnerable (I.e. If he gets hit hard enough)?

He alive, dammit.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

If Rogue touches Nightcrawler, does she turn blue and demon-ey?

She has before.

E: Beaten like Xavier by his stepdad.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Archyduke posted:

But was he wrong???

He was not.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Should have gotten Wolverine to suggest it. He can say it so strikingly.

*hands Ben a slip of paper with a name on it* "THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, MORPH!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

There may be a spanking or two in there, honestly. I don't think they meet a black man until the 70s.

Black Panther, 1966. He kicks their asses just to show he can.

e: Beaten like the FF in issue 52.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Clamknuckle posted:

Are the Blob's powers gravity related?

More inertia-related, I'd say. I believe if you destabilize whatever he's standing on, he'll fall.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I think I've seen Storm or somebody explain "sterile" as people whose X-gene should be activating but isn't. But I dunno.

What I'm wondering is, what the hell is M-Pox? Do stupid people just think the Terrigen's effects on mutants is somehow contagious?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ah, Deathmate Red. The book that didn't single-handedly kill the '90s speculator market, but serves as a good headstone for it anyway.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Kirby and Simon's romance work (i.e., inventing the genre of romance comics) was at DC, right?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

And all the unambiguously villainous stuff (extraordinary rendition to an extradimensional prison for an unspecified term, psychotic criminals as hero-hunters, immediately try to kill Spider-Man when you just *think* he might defect) was in the main Civil War series too, which is why the "it's the fault of the tie-ins" never held water for me.

The whole thing was botched from beginning to end.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ror posted:

For single issues, the second Beasts of Burden story "Lost" also deserves a mention.

I have the Beasts of Burden HC, and like half the stories in that thing are loving designed to destroy you emotionally.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

qntm posted:

That was kind of the joke, Millar portrayed the weird Wanda/Pietro relationship relatively subtly in Ultimates I and II.

"Relatively" being the operative word.

And there was still no point to it beyond "Ha ha, twincest! I'm a grown man with a 13-year-old's sense of humor!"

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Nope, it's straight to print. Although I imagine there will be a same-day digital edition as well.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

He was pretty cool right up through Crisis on Infinite Earths. And historically cool for the twenty or so years after that.

Then Infinite Crisis happened. And then Countdown to Final Crisis Happened. And then Final Crisis: Legion of Three Worlds happened.

So the "inconsistently written" bit is technically true, just not in the way that person meant. And all of the "inconsistent" stuff has come from basically one guy, who had a terrible idea to bring back a character who didn't need to be brought back and ran with it, despite pretty much the entire audience telling him to stop.

Geoff Johns is terrible, is what I'm saying.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

This is not a clone, not an imposter, not mind control, not someone else acting through Steve. This really is Steve Rogers, Captain America himself.

So I guess either they're lying/twisting words or it isn't really the Red Skull's fault after all.

They also said Peter Parker was never going to be Spider-Man again and there was totally not a planned ending where he came back.

They were lying then, too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

zoux posted:

It really drags on and on.

Pretty weak ending, too.

A character who hasn't even been in the story up to now comes in out of nowhere, and then the war is just over.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

The Question IRL posted:

So here's my question.
Vibrinium ended up on Earth after a meteor crashed into it. And the biggest part landed in Wakanda and made them super great.
And another lot landed in the Antarctic and that stuff disolves metal so it has a different name. And presumably smaller deposits landed elsewhere on the Earth.

But everyone treats it like Wakanda is the only source for it.

So my question is this...
If it landed on Earth from space, presumably it came from SOMEWHERE*.

So like shouldn't there be a planet of this stuff out in Space. Has anyone done a plot based on that?

Kelly Sue DeConnick, in her second volume of Captain Marvel. Carol squared off against Star-Lord's dad over a vibranium deposit on a planet that had been settled by refugees from the Builders' war.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

There's a couple more trades of BuckyCap after Reborn, too.

The stuff after Steve takes the suit back is... not great.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Follow the monthly solicits and take notes?

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

If it started with USM I could see it being a Bendis decision. He would have had some pretty big pull at that point and he does love his decompression

My brain is telling me it was a Jemas thing, but it can't provide citations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I liked All-New Hawkeye.
I was sad to see it so short.

It was half as long as Fraction's run, it just all came out on time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Crisis basically pioneered the "some cool moments strung together with stupid, ponderous bollocks" style of event comics writing.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Diamond publishes their direct sales numbers. They're available on comichron.com. Comic Beat does a monthly analysis of the numbers comparing to previous sales that's pretty good.

Technically, ICV2 makes estimates of the sales numbers based on the sales rankings Diamond releases. Pretty much every pro triple-swears that these estimates are always wrong, but they can still show general trends pretty well.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

prefect posted:

Was it something Resurrection Man was okay with, or was it like when people throw Bruce Banner out of helicopters so that he will become useful?

Most definitely the latter.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Ultron Mark XII, also known as "Mark". Very pathos-y, because of course he dies saving everybody from another Ultron.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

WickedHate posted:

No one's said the original Thunderbolts minus Zemo yet?

Moonstone's arguable, but the rest of them, yeah. Especially Songbird.

Rogue's stayed good, too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I regard Infinite Crisis as crap. It's obnoxiously edgelordy, you can see all the spots where they decided to veer in a different direction at the last minute, and the meta-commentary falls apart when you remember that the writer is one of the people who spent the last 2-3 years real time making the DCU so stupidly grimdark in the first place.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Oh hey it's time for the next unscheduled reminder that Gerber's Defenders is a best run contender for every character involved including Doctor Strange.

Especially Chondu the Mystic.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Sort of. If I remember correctly he appeared like Darkseid appeared in Jimmy Olson, as iron man just dealt with his lackies. He was soon in Warlock loving around and beating almost all the avengers

Yeah, it was basically, "Hey, Jim, do a fill-in on Iron Man for us," and Starlin went, "OK" and turned in a story about Drax, Moondragon, and Thanos that also had Iron Man in a supporting role.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

I'm pretty sure those Spectacular Spideys are DeMatties and Buscema, and that's always good stuff.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

NorgLyle posted:

Those are possibly some of the all-time worst Avengers issues, not in the sense of being offensive or insulting but just for hilarious amounts of :effort: . At one point the team is like The Captain, Reed Richards, Sue Storm and some random Eternal doofus.

Gilgamesh, the Forgotten One.

His nickname was and is entirely accurate.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Selachian posted:

Didn't she lose Sunfire's powers (as well as her memories) when she got wiped by touching baby Hope Summers during the "Messiah Complex" arc?

That or during the whole supervirus thing that happened right before that.

Mike Carey basically reset her to "just power-stealing" during his run on X-Men & X-Men: Legacy. And then she, like, absorbed Wonder Man during Remender's Uncanny Avengers, so she's got ionic powers now, too.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Selachian posted:

There's a friendly version of the Toyman, but he's not the same person as the original Toyman, Winslow Schott, so it's not really a reformation.

Also the friendly Toyman was revealed to be a robot created by the original Toyman because Geoff Johns loving refuses to let the rest of us have the things we like.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Rhyno posted:

The Asian kid was a robot?

According to Action 865.

Wiki says the New 52 version is a real boy, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Up until very recently, the digital codes were for a digital version of the book you bought. Marvel just changed that to now having one code in all the books for a week or month that lets you download some selected back issues. It's a sop to brick-and-mortar stores.

As for eBay, some people who bought physical copies and didn't care about the digital ones would auction them off (emailing the code to the winner) to recoup some of the cost of the physical book. Which is probably another reason Marvel changed their policy.

I have no idea what tearing the sticker off does to the physical comic's resale value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Spider-man's strength has gone down considerably since the 70s. He used to be able to take out The Avengers or The X-men by himself, now he'd get obliterated if he tried to take Colossus in a straight fight.

Strength isn't the only thing that matters in fights. Spidey wins most of his fights due to speed/agility and his webbing. If he just stood there and traded punches, Colossus would crush his skull with the first one, but he's gonna be jumping around.

Spidey's always been in the 10-ish ton range as far as strength goes.