Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dawgstar posted:

So Johns did for the Speed Force what he also did for the Lantern rings?

None of this is Johns. Flash needs a new writer and let it be soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wally from pre-52 and current day murderer due to heroes in crisis and Wally who was inspired by the flash tv show and currently on teen titans

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bessantj posted:

That's a hell of a thing. What is in people's opinion the most convoluted storyline from the big two? (I'm sure Manga has had some legendary convoluted storylines.) Though I haven't read it Clone Saga always sounded convoluted.

The crossing is the best

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

To get an idea about the clone saga look up house of Reilly

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bessantj posted:

I thought that she had imagined them and due to her powers they "came to life" but were never real. What versions have there been?

They became hands for a villain. Later on their souls were reborn and are Wiccan and speed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Uthor posted:

Picked up Lois Lane #1. Haven't read any DC in forever. Are we supposed to know what this refers to?

The stuff happening in Bendis run

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

This actually brings up a question. The Human Torch (Jim Hammond) had a teenage sidekick, was he also an android or whatever? Did he ever come back?

He was human. He died then returned and now is an inhuman

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Roth posted:

Very important question: Why does Tony wear his Iron Man helmet in the hot tub?

He was multitasking and doing cleanup

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bessantj posted:

It's that pervasive? I suppose if it's that way in movies, music etc why not comics.

An awesome batwoman run was cut short since dc said batwoman and her girlfriend could get engaged but not married. DC had a no marriage rule

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The hulk in the 90s was Peter David and some of the best Hulk

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Knightfall was April 1993 – August 1994.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Nessus posted:

Did Geoff Johns do this one too? Didn't Moore and co. only come up with the Green and the Red?

Nope mark miller during his swamp thing run along with others that followed him. Most of the parliaments were around before the new 52.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 7, 2019

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Selachian posted:

Back when Giffen and DeMatteis were writing Justice League, there were a lot of fan complaints about writing characters out of character for the sake of jokes -- like writing Captain Marvel (Shazam), who allegedly has the Wisdom of Solomon, as rather dim but relentlessly nice.

Since Dennis O’Neil has written him Captain Marvel has Billy’s mind and he is not a separate personality.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I was at #17 or so if I remember right. But it went through several writers and artists before that.

Then when he left they got arrow creators to write it but they left quickly and everything they did was ignored (bringing in Felicity)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Yeah GA is one of the few titles that was inarguably improved by going from the New 52 status quo to the Rebirth one

Yet they kept the same writer

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Selachian posted:

Angel, Iceman, and Beast were part of the "New Defenders" team, albeit only briefly because the book was canceled a couple years later.

So they could go to x-factor

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Isn't this where The Flash's kids come from? Bart's parents?

Yes since iris was from the future and after the trial he went there before he died

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

A friend asked and I realized I don't know. Where is Tim Drake in Rebirth? I know New 52 kinda was like "Everything that happened in Batman still did, just in 5 years" but I don't know if Rebirth kept that momentum up. Is he with the Titans?

I am assuming Damian is Robin.

He is in young justice.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Remember when Byrne was like gently caress all the runs after the first of doom patrol, even though the creator said the only person who got them was Morrison, and introduced in one of the worst stupidest jla storyline

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Claytor posted:

Bart didn't catch on, then a short lived "Waid does Wally again" run didn't catch on either for some reason.

One Year Later was maybe DC's most exciting attempt to shake things up and move forward since Crisis on Infinite Earths, and within two years they seemed fully committed to rolling back to the pre-Crisis status quo at all costs. Still don't get it.

Loeb and Johns were bring back precrisis ideas for years before and also during the one year later.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, actually, here's a question, during my recent Wonder Woman binge there was a part during, I think, Simone's run, where the Doomsday-alike villain does something to Donna with the lasso and it makes her freak out and attack Diana, blaming her for Terry and their kids dying... Obviously it's meant to be a delusion, but if there any reason that would make sense to her in-story? Was Diana around at the time they died?

If I remember correctly it’s the why didn’t you save my family?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Isn't like Lois Lane the only person that's ever really worked out for (maybe Mary Jane Watson, but the devil's in the details of whether or not that relationship has been a positive thing in her life)

Animal man’s family had that little hiccup pre52 but then post their son did die. However they are still together.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Dawgstar posted:

isn't there there's at least one person who's had their memories altered and is living out the rest of their life on like Krakoa's south beach and possibly feeling vaguely confused?

Rockslide

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

So what is the Nexus in the Marvel universe? I'm told it's a thing I'm supposed to know about.

It’s a giant sized man thing

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were retconned to no longer being mutants nor Magneto's kids, that combined with the "no more mutants" thing makes them her very unpopular among the mutants.

Yet her son is still welcomed

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

All of Alan Moore’s miracle man has been reprinted so it’s something to do with gaimans or something else

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The best thing about the crossing was it lead to avengers forever in which it said everything from that poo poo was space phantoms. Avengers forever is so so good and it’s a shame songbird ain’t in anything.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Beast turned 30 in like 1992!

That’s how many crimes against humanity he committed this year!!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I thought it was Chameleon's scheme? or did they do it twice? I'm talking about the 90s time they did it.

Chameleon was just a henchman. It was all Harry beyond the grave. Who knows what the original plan was as the clone saga was about to begin. It’s very possible the original plan was for them to be the actual parents but then they decided clone time so had to get rid of them

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lobok posted:

It just didn't sit right emotionally. He had a cool death but then finding out it was his plan all along it felt like we were supposed to go "oh right, gently caress that guy I guess?"

I always felt more pity. It’s a reminder how hosed in the head he was when he was in goblin mode and the damage his father did. He did a good man, but he still did a bunch of crazy poo poo in his last days

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

On this topic, I got around to reading the Marvel Pride thing recently, and I feel like they're still not quite willing to make the jump with Kitty/Kate. There's that story with Prodigy and Speed in the special and Prodigy is relating that being able to experience Kitty's feelings of attraction for Colossus and realise they were very similar to his own was a big part of him realising he was bi, but like, it seems like an obvious extension of that beat to bring up her being into girls and him also feeling an echo of his own experience there too.

It feels like the closer to 'your aunt could name them' a superhero is, the more cagey the Big Two are about having them be visibly queer. (see also "Superman is bi (but not that one)" or "Robin is pan (kinda)")

For a bit more content in this thread, that special also had a Mystique/Destiny story that implies Destiny is literally meant to be The Irene Adler and that Professor James Moriarty exists in the 616. Has this ever been referenced before?

Clive Reston who was Shang-chi ally, father was hinted to be bond and his great uncle Sherlock Holmes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

And Cerebro was used to find the All-New, All-Different X-Men in the story.

They met in college, married, and had Legion all before the X-Men formed. The recent retcon hasn't changed any of that.

You are thinking of ultimate, as she is not the mother of legion. She is of proteus, but they were involved in college and was his finance before she left him for a scot

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Cornwind Evil posted:

Reminds me of how in the famous X-Men arcade game, for some reason, they decided to give Juggernaut a giant fuckoff cannon.

Almost as odd as when he showed up as a boss in the Captain America and the Avengers arcade game beat 'em up. Considering virtually all the other villains who showed up were either individual member of the Avengers villains (Red Skull, Crossbones, Mandarin, Living Laser) or united as a team Avengers villains (Whirlwind, Grim Reaper, Ultron), he really stuck out.

But not as much as the Wizard, who also appeared in said game as a boss. Juggernaut at least has branched out a fair number of times to fight others besides the X-Men (heck, one of Spider Man's more famous mini stories featured him); I don't think the Wizard has EVER fought anyone who wasn't somehow tied to the Fantastic Four. Basically, imagine if in the X-Men game, that in the second to last level, instead of fighting four Pyro clones, you fought Master Pandemonium.

With baby hands?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, didn't they make it explicit that he'd only been Batman for 5 years at the very start of New 52 Batman? 4 Robins in 5 years, one of which died.

And then within the first year another one did as well

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Beerdeer posted:

Is there a book that’s really considered the first “modern” book? Like that leaves behind the narration boxes and lovely art from the 90s? Is it Ultimate Spider-Man?

And Bagley was the artist for Amazing Spider-Man in the 90s

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I AM GRANDO posted:

I’m reading old Spiderman comics and noticed that issue 181 is just a recap of Spiderman’s origin and an introduction to the current supporting cast. I guess it’s because they figured that the readership aged out every so often and the new kids needed a recap. Are there other issues like that? I’d enjoy comparing different takes on a task like that across 20 years or so.

There used to be a lot like that and I am pretty sure it’s a way to get an issue out monthly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Alaois posted:

was that before or after X2 and the "have you ever tried not being a mutant?" scene

Well before as Chuck was the writer of Uncanny when x-men came out. In fact the episode with the crucifixion was released close to opening day