Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WEREWAIF posted:

Why doesn't someone just shoot Spider-man in the heart with a gun? He would drop dead. No more spider-man. We'd all be safer.

Worked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Are there any collections out there of the pre-JLI Elongated Man stuff? The old backups and his earlier appearances?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

His points that you should try to own the property you work on is great. Marvel/DC killing comics is where it gets hyperbolic. I doubt Walking Dead would be on the TV if comic book movies weren't already a thing.

I'm not sure why you think that. Walking Dead got on TV to capitalize off the zombie craze, not because it was a comic book property. A lot of people who watch it don't even know there's a comic.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SiKboy posted:

In the interests of pedantry; Its possible it was billy batson that was killed by the nuke rather than captain marvel, because he detonates the bomb (which is a futuristic supernuke rather than a conventional nuke) by shouting Shazam.

Marvels Wonder Man would survive a nuke, worst case scenario he is atomised and has to reconstitute himself from ionic energy.

To add to this, Captain Marvel canonically has survived nukes before. Back in the Fawcett era in fact there was a story where Captain Marvel was literally the only being on Earth to survive a nuclear world war and was forced to watch in horror as people died of radiation sickness and nuclear blasts around him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 16, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What was the Batman comic from a while back that had the Bats in it that had funny faces and Batman terribly hiding behind things? I know it's been posted before.

Injustice?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That sounds to me like a kind of desperate attempt to patch up whatever hole the Nu52 left in his plans.

God, the Nu52 Booster thing up there with Wally for most depressing result of Barry Allen's giant space fuckup

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prefect posted:

If somebody were to describe Alan Moore's work (Watchmen in particular) as "cryptofascist propaganda", what would be the best way to gently dissuade them?

By pointing out that the fascist characters are not the characters you're supposed to support. You're not supposed to come away from Watchmen and go "Boy, those were sure some good decisions!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chinaman7000 posted:

Bigfoot Hitler is my favorite cryptofacist.

He's no Starfish Hitler.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

I always took it as Damien having a massive crush on Stephanie, and being ten, so not knowing any way to deal with that other than dialing up the brattiness to 11. And then he tried the same poo poo on Kara (awww, Damien's got a type!) and she picked him up by the scruff of the neck and yelled at him about being respectful to women, because I'm-a-sorta-terrifying-assassin-kid cuts absolutely no ice with an invulnerable Kryptonian.

I guess Damien's type is the daughters of supervillains. Just like his dad. Multiversity backs this up.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Whatever happened to the Green Lantern Simon Baz?

He basically got shunted off to Unimportant Land as is to be expected because he is like fifth in line when it comes to Green Lanterns From Earth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Well, it's not an awful idea to have a backup in case the ring runs out of juice on a long mission...

That is his logic. It's just that if you're on a long mission and your battery runs out of juice a handgun with what, one clip, is probably going to be only slightly more useful that harsh language.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

Identity Crisis was one of the very first comics I read, and I remember finding it a very solid detective story, but now I can understand how people could be pissed about the story's consequences and treatment of characters. What was the general reaction at the time it came out?

Also, did Ralph and Sue come back in a more traditional portrayal for New 52?

No. Sue was still murdered (and probably raped) and Ralph is a crazy person who keeps a shrine to her and works for supervillains.

It loving sucks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

It's been a while since I read it, what was the backlash over?

Basically it's an attempt to make the universe more 'mature' primarily through the mediums of rape and violence. It takes lighthearted and good-natured characters and subjects them to atrocities in order to make things feel more Real and Serious. It guts the characters of Ralph and Sue Dibny, forces Dr. Light to forever be Dr. Rape, ends up turning Tim Drake into Yet Another Bat Orphan and Jean Lorning just ends up a mess.

On top of that it's a bad murder mystery with an inane reveal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

This is super interesting to me because one of the main thing that separates DC from Marvel, in my head, is that DC cares about its fictional history. I love James Robinson's Starman run, and I'm just finishing Johns' JSA. These titles, along with things like JSA: Golden Age and DC: New Frontier, pay homage to the company's past in some lovely, lovely ways. And they're good stories in and of themselves, so that new readers can get what they're all about without having actually read the older comics.

Do you guys think we'll get more titles like this, considering how wonky New 52 continuity is?

DC's problem is that it does both. It cares about its fictional history but it is also embarrassed by it. Not always. You have writers like Morrison who love every stupid bit of it. You just have a lot of writers who are like "no, Aquaman is a serious badass" or frantic attempts to lampshade older stories or attempts to 'serious up' silly characters. IC was sort of the apex of they're "we're serious adult comics, MOM" era.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Brad Meltzer is actually a really great dude, and isn't embarrassed by silver age comics in the least. He just wrote a lovely mystery that was propped up by some really great character moments. The book is worth reading just for the characters talking to eachother. Ralph talking to Firehawk, Superman and his mom, Ollie and Flash, Ollie and Hal, everything with Batman, even Firestorm's out of nowhere death had a good emotional punch.

Shame about all the Sue and Jean stuff though.

The entire story's basis is embarrassment over silver age. It is based on the idea that these villains changing, reforming or just being silly is the result of systemic brainwashing to hide their horrific violence.

Brad Meltzer can be a great dude but that doesn't mean the core thesis of his story wasn't "what if all this not-horrible stuff was just covering up mature adult rape and violence?!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Sue Dibny is murdered while preparing to tell her husband she's pregnant" is never going to be a good story because it relies on making GBS threads on a character for shock value. There's not really any way you can get around that. It's a bad story and a bad end to the character not just because it is viscerally unpleasant but because it is lazy as gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

Lazy but effective for large swaths of the readers.

Not really except in the barest sense. It could have been literally any character in that role. (And in fact they do basically the same thing to Lois in Injustice.) It's just plain bad writing.

It's 'effective' in that it featured a pregnant woman being murdered and her husband being sad but that is something that will get a response in any situation. It's pretty telling that a lot of defense of it boils down to "I didn't know these characters but it was sad."

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 22, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Secret Identity is an infinitely better Superboy Prime story than The Personification of Comics Self-Loathing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

Greg Rucka asked Geoff Johns about his penchant for dismemberment, and Johns said he didn't see it as a big deal because he grew up playing Mortal Kombat. I guess that's why it never bothered me. He's a guy that has obvious affection for every character he writes, so I never really see the violence as particularly mean spirited.

Does... does Geoff Johns realize that even Mortal Kombat doesn't actually make the violence canonical except in rare circumstances?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Die Laughing posted:

People don't play Mortal Kombat for the story. Besides Gavok probably. Didn't he write the "rate every MK character ever" article that my phone couldn't navigate?

The last two Mortal Kombat games seem to disagree with you there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

How Identity Crisis actually should have ended:

In the final issue Sue Dibny comes out of hiding. She sheepishly admits that this was all her plotting the next of Ralph's Birthday Mysteries but it sort of got out of hand. Tim Drake's dad also pops out and awkwardly rubs the back of his head, admitting that he was in on it. Everyone has a good laugh, freeze frame.

It has precedent in canon, she once faked an alien invasion for one of Ralph's birthday mysteries. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Charlie better be in the bottom 10.

I think you spelled top 10 wrong.

Gavok posted:

Hell no. Charlie Nash is a Barry Allen/Bucky Barnes hybrid of a character who looks like cartoon Egon, does one-handed Sonic Booms and will not loving die no matter how many times M. Bison tries to wipe him out. Plus he's the only entertaining part of the terrible Chun-Li movie, even if it's because Chris Klein is so terrible that it loops around into him being amazing.

Nah, Charlie's in the top ten.

See! This guy gets it.

And he's a zombie now too!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I just think taking a guy who's entire gimmick is being a rough and tumble soldier who fights with military training and GUTS and then saying "but his friend who taught him those moves is WAY COOLER and wears fashion glasses and is pleasingly skinny and adds stylish flair to the moves and is a total bishie" is terrible.

... what? Charlie is beefy as hell, he just wears a big-rear end jacket.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

Gavok: Can you just rate the Street Fighter characters on how awesome/not awesome they were in the live action movie? Thanks.

But then spots 1-5 are taken up by Balrog.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Do you mean Bison? Or Japanese Bison? Or was Bison Vega in Japanese? Because they couldn't just swap the names, they rotated them all.

Right, that guy. Dictator.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

redbackground posted:

I've only made my way down about 10 characters, but uh, sounds as if Mortal Kombat 4 was Not Very Good.

There is a reason that MK3 is the last one anyone meaningfully cared about before MK9.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

Two of the three 3d Castlevania games were actually good, just not great. Two of Four if you count the n64 games as two different ones instead of one and an expansion pack.

I can't actually figure out which ones you mean because even at the minimum there were five 3D Castlevanias.

Castlevania 64, LoI, CoD, LoS and LoS2.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Maltose posted:

I will totally cop to forgetting Lord of Shadows even existed.

I honestly assumed you'd remembered that and forgot the PS2 ones!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Were pre Comics Code comics actually lurid and shocking or is that just 50's era moral panic?

Kind of both. They probably wouldn't shock you now but cultural standards have changed.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

The original comics code rules were ridiculous. No the word "horror"! No werewolves!

Not arguing with that at all.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Were kids really buying Crime Tales of Suspense?

Absolutely. A lot of the big stuff at the time was crime or cowboy or whatnot.

I mean kids these days buy Grand Theft Auto or whatnot, the difference isn't really that big.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Everblight posted:

What are some compelling, interesting stories, anectdotes or jokes about Mirror Master, Captain loving Cold and literal "Reverse Flash"?

... There's quite a few? The Rogues actually were established as an interesting set of villains who united and tried very carefully to balance their crimes with avoiding attracting too much attention and had a semi-friendly semi-antagonistic relationship with the Flash. They are actually some incredibly dynamic characters when used well. Reverse Flash has a lot of interesting stories depending on the version you're talking about since he plays off The Flash. (The Return of Barry Allen is actually a great Reverse Flash story for example.)

Someone mentioning a good set of villains and you go "they have silly names! They must suck" kind makes you look like an rear end in a top hat by the way.

Also beyond that:

Captain Marvel has a fantastic set of villains. They're campier than Superman (though I'd argue not Batman) but Dr. Sivana, Black Adam, Mr. Mind and various others have all been used in extremely good stories.

Also the Suicide Squad, which is primarily made up of villains, has done a great job defining characters. Captain Boomerang (another Flash villain) for example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 20, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I honestly think villains are more interesting when they have motivations beyond "I wanna murder that guy."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

I just finished The Long Halloween and loved the hell out of it, but about ten minutes after I put the book down I thought "wait - what ACTUALLY happens on NYE?" Did I miss something explaining it? The book keeps pointing out that Harvey's hair was wet but introducing a second killer doesn't seem to make any sense when the "victim" shows up later completely un-killed.

She misunderstood who the real killer was. Harvey just had wet hair.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Good" Loki's story has always been to some degree about the fact that fans will not allow characters to change. It is not the sole thing the story is about but Loki being forced to struggle with the expectations of who he is vs what he wants to become has been a fairly central element of the character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HorseHeadBed posted:

While a lot of the Superman 2000 pitch seemed to make sense from a narrative point of view, I don't see any justification for making Supes more powerful. I mean, isn't one of the inherent problems with Superman that he's basically a god fighting mortals? They say they're making him 3x stronger and more intelligent, but don't really say why...

This story basically sounds like proto All-Star Superman so you can read that to get an idea of it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ultragonk posted:

It is very strange, I've found it easier to get Marvel back issues than DC back issues.

In general do Marvel outsell DC or is it the other way round?
What are the more popular titles? I bet Batman and X-Men are very popular for their respective companies.

The most successful heroes in general are Spider-Man and Batman respectively.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cyphoderus posted:

Did this happen?

It didn't happen instantly but guess who doesn't exist anymore?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Wally is black" is fine, it's just like the decided "Wally is black" must go hand-in-hand with both making a completely new character and making that character a giant checklist of stereotypes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Speaking of Speedball, did anything actually come of him after New Warriors? I know they were setting up a plotline with him before the book got canned but I'm curious if anything picked up on that.