Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I'm curious why people are buying these comics when Marvel Unlimited has them for $10 a month? I can see doing it for new comics or comics that they haven't put up yet, but it seems silly.

Is it because you can only have ten downloaded at a time on a device?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
See I hate guided few and have a kindle Fire that is just about the size of a comic book so viewing the issues on it is perfect. That said I also don't use the app, but link directly from the site and while navigating can be a pain it is usually fine when I zoom in.

I guess I'm just lucky and haven't run into any problems except them not having all the issues of Daredevil volume one :shrug:

Edit: I did remember I tired the app on my Iphone for a second and it is hot garbage. Everything takes forever to load.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 19, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

zoux posted:

Those six trades are all of Morrison's Doom Patrol right? If I know literally nothing about DP besides its pantheonic status, am I gonna be lost?

Saying this as a guy who read it without knowing anything at the time of reading it. Not really. A couple of things are referenced here or there that are not need to know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I see the first IDW Ghostbusters comic is on sale on Comixology. Is it any good?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Dunbar posted:

Besides what everyone else has said, MU doesn't have literally everything. There are issues you can buy digitally that aren't on MU. I'm going to have to buy some if I want to read all of Infinity Gauntlet with the tie ins, I think.

Don't worry they will add them when Avengers: Infinity comes out. :v:

I agree it is the thing I dislike about MU. They have next to nothing of old Ghost Rider, Punisher, Silver Surfer, or cosmic marvel in general. Want anything from the 90's that isn't the main Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man? Good luck.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

ZRM posted:

If anyone is interested in manga, looks like there is a Hunter X Hunter sale, 5 dollars a pop. Supposedly it's a really good manga so if you were holding out, might be the time to stock up on them.

It is good, but unfinished and will never be finished.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Uthor posted:

I always thought comic publishers or local shops should team up with theaters to give out free comics, at least for the first couple of shows or at the midnight showing of a big release. With digital comics, publishers should totally give out free downloads to the first issue of the relevant storyline. It'd hardly cost anything and would at least get a few people to download comiXology for the first time.

One of my local comic shops does this for midnight releases for comic book movies. The theater lets everyone in earlier than usual and the comic shop people do trivia and contests. After the movie is over they hold like a post party where people can come and play games at the store (Thursdays are usually game nights all night anyway). I know after the first Avengers movie they had a post party at a local bar.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

zoux posted:

This guy made a searchable database of all Marvel Unlimited titles.

https://nightcrawler-m.herokuapp.com/

I have given this a whirl the last couple of days and it works worse than the Marvel Unlimited website for searching. When you click on a title and it synces up, the issues are typically out of order and you have to figure out which links led where. I think the best use of this would be some sperg going through and syncing everything up and clicking every link to see what books are on MU, but not listed. There are a few like the last 10 issues of Priests Black Panther.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Uthor posted:

comiXology Unlimted!
https://www.comixology.com/unlimited

$5.99/month, all you can read.

I don't see a list of publishers on the site, but Bleeding Cool is saying "Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Oni, Archie, Valiant, Fantagraphics and more".

This is cool so far. Lots of indies and comics I would never be able to read without this unlimited option. It will be interesting to see if they add books or if it just stays like this. Although the mobile app is terrible for reading the comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

AlmightyBob posted:

Honestly if you like what comixology unlimited has, check out your library's hoopla collection. I live in a poor rear end county and my library has a better selection than comixology unlimited. All of the walking dead, and hellboy, and lumberjanes, and saga, and tons of other stuff. And none of this first volume only poo poo either. Also, tons of DC (mostly new 52 and then anything batman and or superman)

Mine has a ton of manga, but very little DC and Marvel. Almost no indies.

Edit: I misread this. Will have to check out hoopla.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Uthor posted:

comiXology Unlimted!
https://www.comixology.com/unlimited

$5.99/month, all you can read.

I don't see a list of publishers on the site, but Bleeding Cool is saying "Image, Dark Horse, IDW, Boom, Oni, Archie, Valiant, Fantagraphics and more".

The phone app for comixology is much easier to search for unlimited comics. It is a mystery as to why. You have "borrow" 50 different items at a time.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

AlmightyBob posted:

The comixolgy ceo says the only first volumes in unlimited is on purpose to drive sales. gently caress that poo poo.

Oh cool. Will only need the service for the first free month.

Man that is too bad. Modern Archie comics are fantastic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

zoux posted:

Has anyone found a complete series yet? They said their plan was to rotate poo poo in and out so I wonder if the model is to have full runs move in and out while keeping early volumes always available.

However if it is like it is now, yeah it's not even worth the six bucks. Any brand new people to comics that get hooked in by CU are going to quickly find that with comics you want the whole thing.

Too bad too, I was really hoping they'd come out with something cool.

A number of mini series or small series are complete. Bomb Queen was one.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

zoux posted:

It would be a good ~goon project~ to mention poo poo you see that is a full run on CU, but I don't know where the best place to curate it would be. Who reads ops anymore?

Who updates them anymore?

It really is going to be an introduction service to get people hooked.

Edit: signed up for that hoopla and only get 4 borrows a month.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 25, 2016

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Uthor posted:

I updated this one twice this week!

You might be the only person on SA. Thank you for your service.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Uthor posted:

Yeah, sounds like comiXology Unlimited is aimed toward getting new buyers on board. I don't see it becoming a big source of income for them if there is little reason to continue your subscription beyond a month or two.

http://comicsalliance.com/comixology-unlimited-david-steinberger-interview/

Setting that bar high for DC if they decide to do an unlimited. Which they need to. I want to read Young All-Stars drat it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
How often does Comixology give out discount codes?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

N52 Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman

What is good out of it? I thought I've seen that all of WW is garbage, but all of Aquaman is good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Did DC do any specials this week? I'm hoping I missed something.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Marvel Unlimited just added a feature that automatically marks books you read and read. :eyepop:

The technology today I tell ya!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Asnorban posted:

Finally! No more lying in bed at night not trusting that I had read an issue.

In a few years we may have pull lists also.

Lol the update broke the app.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I've been digging into Marvel Unlimited for the past two months and after finishing the entire Ultimates comic line I look outwards and see all that is available too me.

I noticed this thread and just wanted to what up. Anything people want to comment on about it?

I've been reading the original Uncanny X-men trying to work up onto the Cris Claremont runs but I see that they don't have the Uncanny X-men annuals, thats a bummer

Yeah there are significant gaps in X-Men and most of the 90s are missing entirely for almost everything. It is fantastic and I read a ton each week.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
It isn't everything? :(

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

pastis posted:

Let me rephrase-- do I have to do anything for the Amazon-purchased books to show up in the iOS Comixology app now?

I think you can use Amazon gift cards on comixology.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Anime_Otaku posted:

DC comics BOGOF ends tomorrow: https://www.comixology.co.uk/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/11527?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC90YWJsZXQvc21hbGxDYXJvdXNlbA

What's good, particularly the event stuff. I already got 52 but I'm a newish reader as far as DC goes because I got into comics through the MCU so tend to stick to them though I've been reading Suicide Squad, Harley Quinn and got the Rebirth #1s of Hellblazer and Batgirl & The Birds of Prey.

Side note: I'm in a wheelchair so I'm kind of into the "idea" of Oracle, is there anything on Comixology that's good with her in it?

You have the weekly 52 series?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Anime_Otaku posted:

I got the first one (I think, one plot line was Renee Montoya working with The Question) as trades probably in a similar sale.

Well if you are looking for events. Crisis on infinite earths and kingdom Come are both good.

52 was the follow up to infinite Crisis and the lead ins and minis to that event. If you liked 52 you might like those. The Booster Gold series was the successor to 52 and is a good series.

If you like suicide squad there is the 80s/90s series that is supposed to be good. I just bought half of it myself. You could also check out secret six which is a good villian team.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

hadji murad posted:

I have some of that Nova run because it was an awesome Cosmic run, what else is essential in it?

Which Nova run?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Roth posted:

How is Comixology on smart phones? Because I've got University starting on Monday, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to start taking advantage of sales on there, so I have something to read in between classes.

the app blows.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Roth posted:

Ah, is it bad to the point of not even bothering? Come to think of it, Marvel Unlimited does seem appealing as well.

my advice would be to get a kindle. the comixology app works best on it and you can read marvel unlimited through the browser.

Both apps are awful on smart phones. I also hate guided views

Edit: marvel unlimited would be your best bet if you want to read marvel without too big of a wallet hit.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Roth posted:

I can probably make do with my phone for now until I can get a kindle.

marvel unlimited does have the huge drawback that you can not load comics unless connected to wifi, but you can download 10 at a time to read offline.

comixology you can download as long as you have bought the comic.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm trying to think of a comic emergency and I cant't.

Somebody claims Jan spun to the left when Hank hit her. She clearly spun off to the right.

Need to show that ingrate.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Roth posted:

I'm just here to report that Marvel Unlimited works pretty well on my phone. Not perfect, and I'd obviously prefer a kindle, but reading the original Fantastic Four comics has worked pretty well on it so far.

Before you maybe buy the kindle I want to warn that the unlimited app does not work on the kindle unless you side load.

You have to use the silk browser.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

OhFunny posted:

Are the comics on MU in HD now or still low res?

What do you mean? It always looks clean and crisp to me.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

That green arrow sale looks to have the Grell stuff too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
They added the first half of 1980 moon knight series to MU. I think all of Frankenstein's monster, werewolf by night, and man-thing (Gerber) finally.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Rirse posted:

Do you think DC will have a sale this week, or they just sitting out of this?

DC enjoys having their products being incredibly inaccessible.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Avoid that dc sale. Very bad :sad:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Comixology has an Infinite Crisis sale for DC this week. The countdown to, the 4 minis and corresponding one shots are all good.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Teenage Fansub posted:

https://www.comixology.com/Justice-League-of-America-Sale/page/14019?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
For some reason it's mostly all that post-Infinite Crisis JLA stuff, but scroll down. The 2015 Black Canary series was a lot of fun with neat Annie Wu art. There's 90's The Ray, All-New Atom, the original Omega Men, a couple classic Lobo issues.
Weird sale.

Nice. I'm getting 90s ray, 90s suicide squad, and OG Omega Men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

Schneider Heim posted:

Is the Ellis Justice League book any good from the sale?

It is not.