Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Ebenezer posted:

The new MU app update added guided view... its called Smart Panel. You have to activate/deactivate it through the cog icon in the toolbar. It's not controlled by double-tapping the screen like Comixology's app.

It's a pimple on the rear end of ComiXology's version though.

I never touch it on my iPad but the guided view is pretty slick for those times you want to read comics on your phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Be sure to buy Johnny Ryan's Angry Youth while you're on their web store, those are the best comics on the whole goddamn platform.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Here's a very well-thought-out editorial (by Gerry Conway) on why the changes Amazon brought to ComiXology are so disappointing.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Trast posted:

That article seems to very "the sky is falling" when at most it just added another step to buying a comic for Ipad users. Also you can't tell me Apple wouldn't have done the same thing to the android platforms if they'd bought Comixology.

He quite succinctly addresses both of those points within the article, though it's certainly a matter of opinion. I suppose you either agree or disagree with the concern, time will tell how it all sorts out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

On average, about how much time has been added to each purchase by this update?

This isn't the issue at hand whatsoever.

Syrinxx posted:

The problem with this article, and it's a common one around the internet, is the assumption that Apple will stay on top of the heap in tablet marketshare. Well they aren't any more, not even close. He doesn't mention that the integrated store and impulse buying options are alive and well on Android, which speaks more to the lovely walled garden Apple has created than some evil plans by Amazon to sell more Kindles.

This is a good point to an extent, but raw market share isn't indicative of where the digital comic dollars are being spent. It's not exactly a trade secret either that the battle being waged here and now is between Apple and Amazon, regardless of what the future may bring.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Sarchasm posted:

Pardon the hell out of me for being curious.

I'm sorry man that came out wrong. Didn't mean to be a prick about it.

But I personally already find myself less likely to pick up new comics with these changes. After less than a week. For all the reasons others have mentioned, even knowing how simple it is to hop over to the website, it's just not the same as being in-app and impulse buying the next issue. If in-the-know-geeks are already feeling like this it really is a shame that they've added this layer of inaccessibility for newer, less committed readers. I think as dedicated comic-reading goons it's easy to overlook how stuff like this is a barrier to the average reader.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm in Denmark and I can't buy it, but I really want to :smith:

The biggest crime in comics is not putting out every one of Stokoe's books in the most lavish hardcovers imaginable. gently caress if I'm going to sully his art by viewing it in a lovely mass market paperback.

Yeah, like hadji murad suggested, just get a VPN up and running. If you look on the App Store for "Tunnel Bear", you can download the free app and it will run you through the steps to set up a free VPN on your iOS device. You get something like 1GB free per month, I use it almost exclusively for browsing the ComiXology New Releases each week to pick up stuff they geo-block (which for whatever reason happens to be a ton of comics I'm interested in). You can make the purchase with the VPN running, then turn it off and download your books, so the actual bandwidth of the downloads doesn't count against your free monthly total.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Does anyone remember when that free $5 from ComiXology expires?

VVV good lookin' out, thanks.

Fly Ricky fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 17, 2014

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
American Flagg is an absolute classic, and it was almost prophetic when viewed from today's perspective. The 12 issues contained in that bundle are the main story, and by far the best part of the series. Chaykin dropped out about halfway through that 50 issue run anyways. Definitely worth the $10.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Today's free ComiXology book is Jason's Werewolves of Montpellier. 50-pages, complete self-contained story. If you aren't familiar with his work pick this up and prepare to be wowed. Surprised they threw this in amongst the usual Issue #1s they tend to give away.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

SlothBear posted:

And I take it this is bad because those are bad? Genuinely asking I've never read them before.

If you've got a real hard-on for Infinity Gems stuff War isn't that bad. Crusade is terrible no matter who you are. You really want to be impressed by how lovely Infinity books can be pick up Infinity Abyss.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Any quick and dirty recommendations for one-off issues to even out a purchase?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Goddamn it now I need another to even this out.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

JoshTheStampede posted:

I'm thinking of grabbing the 2011-present Larry Hama revival of the original, anyone know if it's good? I remember loving the old ones growing up but don't really have a desire to read through all 155 issues of it again.

They're very similar to the original run. Don't expect much modernization; IMO that's a good thing (I'm reading it for nostalgia value), but to each his own. The Dreadnocks still drink "grape soda", etc. Almost any of the other G.I. Joe stuff IDW has put out is more accessible and entertaining unless you have strong nostalgia for the original run. It started pretty strong, there were some great arcs in the middle, it kinda of dragged around trades ~9-11ish (my memory may be off though), but it's picked up nicely as of late.

Honestly it reads a lot better of you set aside the time to revisit the original run before you dive in. Which holds up remarkably well if you ask me.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

Played around.

VPN, signed out, cheap price.

VPN, signed in, regular price.

Me, SOL.

That's weird, because I've been able to view/purchase from this sale just fine. iPhone, Chrome, no VPN, home wifi and Softbank 4G.

Still working as of this post.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

I have multiple accounts. This one (US) uses a Japanese credit card. Is this the problem you think?

No, I used Japanese credit card myself to purchase stuff from the sale. My account has an alternate (not primary) US address attached to it though...

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Are some of those IDW collections not available on ComiXology or am I misreading the titles?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

X-O posted:

YACReader is what you want if you're on iOS.

This was a fantastic recommendation, thanks.

My only problem with it is that while browsing my remote library it's not showing any covers. Is this normal? After importing, the cover shows up in my iPad library.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

hadji murad posted:

I guess because my Comixology account is linked to my American account I can get it.

I’m a Canadian in Japan but I’ve been a member for years.

Yeah I only ever use a VPN to see the comics that are region-locked out of here. Which includes Transformers. :argh:

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Thanks a ton for this heads up. Some good poo poo in there.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve heard of people comparing both the Marvel and DC comic services and always wondered why they weren’t just using ComiXology.

Was there some benefit to joining Marvel/DC Unlimited over just ComiXology?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Uthor posted:

I don't know much about DC's offering, but Marvel Unlimited gives access to almost everything, but six months behind.

ComiXology Unlimited is mostly just the first arc of stuff. It's more designed as a teaser to get you to buy the rest of the books.

poo poo I find this out right as they’re closing.:(

But thanks for the info. That sounds like a great service, and no-brainer thinking about it. I’d probably sub to both companies if Marvel didn’t shut it down.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Lobok posted:

ComiXology Unlimited? It isn't available everywhere, for one.

Edit: gently caress, beaten

I’m not in the U.S. and I had a trial of it. But that was quite a while ago; I may have used a VPN. :shrug:

blast0rama posted:

Marvel Unlimited isn’t the Marvel Digital Shop.

Marvel Unlimited remains open.

The Marvel digital shop was a store to buy individual issues and trade digitally as they came out, a’la ComiXology.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Has YAC Reader been eclipsed then? I bought it back when it was the suggested reader and it’s a little counter-intuitive at times.