Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uthor posted:

One day sale of Terry Moore's Echo today.

Totally jumped on this. I just finished catching up on Rachel Rising and rereading Strangers in Paradise.

That's when I figured I should read Echo and bam, a sale 2 days later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
gently caress yeah, there's a Grant Morrison Vertigo sale on Comixology.

It includes Doom Patrol, The Filth, Flex Mentallo, Seaguy, We3, Joe The Barbarian, Kid Eternity, Vinanarama, his Hellblazer issues and his Swamp Thing issues.

The only thing missing is The Invisibles, but that was on sale earlier (this year?)

Anyway, massive wallet damage here as the only things I already had digitally were The Filth and the Hellblazer issues. And outside of Flex Mentallo and We3, I haven't read any of this stuff.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I didn't see it mentioned but there's also a Marvel trades sale, including the first volume of Bendis/Maleev Daredevil, Jenkins/Lee Inhumans and the first volume of Captain Marvel (the 2012 series).

I'd recommend all three to people who don't use MU. In particular, that Daredevil trade is great value as it nets you 20 issues of a run I love for 10 bucks.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Space Fish posted:

Dark Horse is having a Cyber Monday sale: 50% off all digital comics, which really means 50% off their usual digital prices, with discounted bundles, to boot!

Example: MIND MGMT, which everyone should read, is normally priced at $4 for the latest issue, $2 for back issues. Today, the series is $1 per issue, with bundles of six issues going for ~$5. You can also see this with The Goon, with 4-issue bundles priced at $3 apiece.

It's a smorgasbord, I tell ya!

DHCYBER14 adds another 10% off actually!
Edit: it says "newsletter subscribers only". No idea if it actually checks.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

TheManWithNoName posted:

DC adds like 20-30 older books every week to Comixology. I'm sure it will be up there eventually.

If they could hurry the gently caress up and release the rest of Unknown Soldier while they're at it.
I read the 5 issues they have and thought "that was a nice mini-series but the Ennis one was better" before realizing it wasn't a mini.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
FWIW, I just noticed the current Uncanny X-Men sale apparently stacks in a weird way with the Marvel code.
I didn't look too much into it but basically, when adding these $1 X-books on top of $2 books already in your basket, the $2 books will be marked down to 0.
I think the order in which books are added matters.

I didn't try to optimize this or particularly exploit it, I just noticed it when my basket jumped like 5 bucks after adding the X-Men issues on sale. I figured "why not" and checked out.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Another great DD sale with Waid's first series and a bunch of $5 collections.
The only thing I wouldn't recommend there is the Smith/Quesada collection. I think it's an okayish arc but it's simply a notch below the rest.

While Miller and Bendis have become staples, I must stress that Waid's is great as well. I picked that bundle the last time it went on sale. That's when I realized it was the greatest current book I hadn't been reading. There's a lot of heart in this book.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
That bundle made me remember I had already bought a few Wheel of Time issues on sale for some hardcore braid tugging action but never got around to reading them.

Still, it's a steal. It's like these Submit bundles every now and then where you're bound to discover some good books you wouldn't have read otherwise.

Speaking of which, I'm still hoping for these Humble Bundles to eventually get Comixology codes, like they do for Steam.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I'm trying very hard to remember any story arc from Avengers 300+ that I'd reread today and I'm failing just as hard.

I'm tempted by the 201-300 bundle though, as I have fond memories of that period and don't like MU. Plus, I already have the first 200 issues anyway. I already have the Under Siege issues though, got them during the crazy buy one get one Marvel sale.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I like the fresh coat of paint but it doesn't really solve anything about arcs or custom lists. I'd love to be able to isolate some crossovers from their series just to read them on the side. Hell, it looks like they got rid of the Story Arcs view altogether.

I have one single reader issue I hope gets solved with each update, and that's a "fit to height" option for spreads. I read books in portrait mode on my iPad, with single pages displayed fully and I'd love to not have to zoom in every time there's a two page spread. Reading Torso for example is a pain in the rear end because a large number of pages are considered spreads, so you keep changing pages and zooming in.

Also, gently caress that unread metric they introduced with this update. That poo poo is more depressing than my Steam library. :doom:

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Not a fan of tilting TBH.

It probably doesn't amount to much but my Arkham Knight copy came with a leaflet about the digital comic. If you redeem the code BATMAN on Comixology you'll get the first three issues.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

The comic is a conservative wet dream and they talk all about how awesome Israel is and how abortions are powering the witches since its killing babies.
While these two things are in the book and Willingham is a hardcore conservative, I didn't think his opinions seeped very much into the book, honestly. As someone who doesn't share his opinions, I've been enjoying the book for over a decade.
Whatever makes people comfortable, obviously.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
It looks like Marvel finally got their poo poo together and are releasing digital books at the same time as DC's, I just got my sub notifications for Ms Marvel and American Vampire at the same time, and all of this week's book can be purchased on Comixology, even if they don't appear on the front page.

I didn't have any Marvel sub last week so it could be old news but that's pretty nice.

Completely unrelated but I recently tried the CBR reader Chunky Comic Reader and it might be the best one I've tried yet. I typically use these for all that Humble Bundle stuff I hoard and it's pretty convenient to be able to download the books from the app. It doesn't aim to do what ComicRack does with its library and reading list management but it works great as a versatile CBR reader when you want to pick a book on the spot. It's the only one I've found that allows to define isolated books as manga and lets you use landscape to always have two pages displayed.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

hadji murad posted:

How long does it take for prices to drop from 3.99 to 1.99 for Marvel books?

I'm missing Secret Avengers 8 which is about 8 months old but still full price.
It takes about a year. They don't work like other publishers who drop prices for single issues, they usually drop the price of entire arcs for a given series.
Typically, looking at recently reduced Marvel books, I see Captain Marvel #1-5. That's from spring/summer last year.

I assume this is all because they don't want to be in a situation where their digital trades cost more than separate issues.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

zoux posted:

Valiant has an insanely good deal on "Groupees" (which I've never heard of).

Related, you can't import outside CBRs into the Comixology app, can you?

Good deal indeed. It's essentially the Valiant Humble Bundle with more stuff in it. I might buy just for the X-O trades beyond Volume 3, as that's where the Humble Bundle stopped.

And no, you can't import non-CMX books into Comixology. In an ideal world, bundles would give you Comixology codes, like games do with Steam, but sadly I don't see that happening.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Bought the Groupees bundle and amateurish doesn't begin to describe it:
- some X-O trades are PDF only, no CBZ.
- they actually loving zipped their CBZ files. That makes them unusable when directly downloaded on an iPad while having zero benefit for anyone - zipping a zip file is useless.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

LordPants posted:

Part of me wants to check out some of that Dark Horse superhero stuff like X.
I'm going to give Nexus and Grendel a try. I've been meaning to for twenty years and this sale just reminded me of both books.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Uthor posted:

It's this week's issue of E is for Extinction. Says it can't find a server. Tried two computers, both on the same network. I dropped them an email. I'll see if they get to me in less than a few weeks like last time.
It's the one book from this week I haven't redeemed yet, I'm getting the usual Wednesday error where they tell you to contact them if it doesn't work 24 hours later. It usually sorts itself out quickly, but this one seems to be taking a bit more time.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
The only way this sale could have been more aggressive would have been to add trades for Sandman, Lucifer and The Invisibles. I'm trying hard to not check how much I've blown last week and today.

Scalped was on my short list of things I really wanted to get digitally. I remember regretting passing on a sale a couple of years ago.

With this and Astro City down, all that is left on that list is Planetary and Moore's Swamp Thing run.

Zachack posted:

I think Scalped and Sweet Tooth hold up the best throughout their runs. Hellblazer through at least issue 100 is very solid.

If anything I think it's easier to unrecommend in this case, to which I would say 100 bullets and Ex machina, with a caution on DMZ (never read, heard iffy things).
I would disagree on 100 bullets, I think it's a phenomenal run, but Ex Machina was a disappointment. It starts with a great premise, has its moments but falls a bit flat IMO. It's still a very enjoyable book though.

I read the 4 or 5 first trades of DMZ and completely lost interest along the way. That was before I got the memo about Wood.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I just saw the Marvel sales and started laughing nervously. Seriously, three great sales back to back.

Last time they did this, I grabbed collections as some of them are great value. You just have to find an even number of them. Obviously, if you're fine with the MU model, this is mostly irrelevant.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

New Mutants is collected in the first New Mutant Classic trade though. So it might be better to get the Classic trade alongside another one (which I did the last time they had a BOGO sale).

If you really want to be cheap about it and game the system though, there's an ongoing Marvel sale with #1 issues discounted at $.99. Some were initially $3.99 and they're counted as $3.99 issues for the BOGO sale.
That means you can get Death of Captain Marvel and God Loves Man Kills (alongside two #1 issues) for two bucks. This already happened last time and I'm honestly surprised they haven't fixed it.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Yeah, people should get Journey Into Mystery. That whole run was fantastic.

And yes, Fear Itself 7.3 is a must read in Bru's Winter Soldier timeline. Another one (7.2?) is important to Fraction's Thor IIRC.
I missed both at the time as I had written off Fear Itself as putrid bullshit, and ended up being super confused.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
They're bound to run out of great sales at some point.
I'm glad I already own most of this stuff or I'd be pretty hosed.
Nice to see The Return of Bruce Wayne finally on sale!

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

onefish posted:

Anyone have takes on The Filth and Seaguy?

(I have medium patience for Morrison, at least as I've experienced his work so far. WE3 is one of my favorite comics, and I thought All-Star Superman was pretty much a blast, too. I thought his New X-Men and Batman runs were pretty good--you know, *interesting*, at least, even if some of the storytelling choices seemed goofy. Haven't read The Invisibles/Doom Patrol/Flex Mentallo/Animal Man, but they seem like long runs to commit to when I've been "eh" on some of his most acclaimed work--especially since I think I'd be less interested in mystical/meta stuff than just in new, cool ideas executed in an interesting way.)

I'm not sure you'd like The Filth.
Maybe give Seven Soldiers a try? If you do, go with the trades, to avoid having to deal with the reading order.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
I grabbed a few of these fanficy omnibuses, like the legacy stuff, the Thrawn trilogy and Dark Empire.
I remember reading that stuff on release when I was a teenager and thinking the coloring sucked. Twenty years later, I'm kind of bracing myself on that front.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Other posted:

Are you from outside the US? Viz's stuff won't show up on comixology's site unless you have an American IP address. You can proxy to buy it all just fine
That's what I used to do to bypass their geoblocking, but that new Kindle workaround is easier, and gets you a Kindle copy. My Kindle account was already set to US anyway.

It's weird how that Kindle/Comixology account sharing has changed my buying habits, and I tend to buy a lot of things on Amazon rather than Comixology, just for that extra (and utterly useless) Kindle copy.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
This is going to sound completely random, and it's not even a sale, but holy poo poo, Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom : Triumph and Torment is finally available digitally.

I remember we discussed it last year (probably in the Avengers thread) and I complained about its digital absence.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
As usual, bear in mind the B1G2 sale combines in weird ways with ongoing sales.

Basically, if you buy a $4 book that's already on sale for $1 and have another $4 book in your basket, there's a chance they'll combine to have two $4 books for a grand total of $1.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.
Alternatively to the B1G2 Comixology sale, they're doing 50% off digital comics on Amazon, which is great for trades if you were interested in only one.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Rirse posted:

Don't the trades show up on Comixology after doing this?
Yeah.
As long as the page says "Kindle+Comixology", they do. AFAIK, most of the stuff is on both sides, which is what makes this such a good alternative.

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Here's the header. So that's "Rebirth #1"s (essentially #0 issues,) and actual Rebirth series #1's. The new Hanna-Barbera comics like The Flintstones should be covered. Can't find out for sure since I've already bought 'em all.

https://www.comixology.com/DC-Buy-One-Get-One-Sale/page/13251?ref=c2l0ZS9pbmRleC9kZXNrdG9wL2xhcmdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw

e: Vertigo and Mad work too. Sheriff of Babylon!

Yeah, Sheriff of Babylon is the one thing I went straight to, having recently read King's Vision and Omega Men runs, and being pretty impressed. The code works on all 12 issues.

I would have loved to splurge money on Dysart's Unknown Soldier if DC could be bothered to release more than six issues digitally.

FWIW, they've been adding a shitload of Fourth World singles over the past few months, ranging from the classic Kirby stuff to the Simonson Orion series. I'm still holding out on these because I'd rather get the collections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PelvicNerve
May 29, 2003

That'll be the day.

bobkatt013 posted:

Uncanny X-men the complete series is on sale. I highly suggest Giant sized, 94-180, 410- 443
The sale lasts until next year, so I'd wait a bit in case we get a Marvel BOGO promo in the next two weeks.