Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I remember the first issue of the 90s X-Files series shooting up in price (to a massive $30! (shut up, I was like 12)) after I chose not to buy it despite being an X-Files fan and my comic shop at the time having it as their staff pick of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I

bobkatt013 posted:

Expect Alias to go on sale later this year when the show comes out.
It's not on Comixology, so unless they decide to add the whole thing, I don't know if that will be the case. The Pulse is there, though, so they might stick with that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Is it the Dark Horse stuff?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

Image Eisner nominees sale!
https://www.comixology.com/2015-Image-Eisner-Nominee-Sale/page/6360

50% off anything from Saga, Walking Dead, The Wicked & the Divine, Southern Bastards, Pretty Deadly, or Madman released before 3/25/15. Hooray!

But no Avengers: The Crossing :(

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

New Humble KIDS Comics Bundle. Includes some fun stuff like Axe Cop, Lumberjanes, and an Usagi Yojimbo book.

https://www.humblebundle.com/books

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Fandango sent me a code for some free comics for buying a ticket to see Avengers tonight. #1s of Captain America, Hulk, Hawkeye, Superior Iron Man, Black Widow, Avengers Origins: Quicksilver & the Scarlet Witch, and Thor: God of Thunder.

Then they sent me another.

https://marvel.com/redeem
FNDAAOURRMUV

First come, first serve, obviously.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wetworks #1? That's random. Is there a Wetworks Convergence book?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get on that Locke & Key if you haven't.

I'm getting Planet Hulk since I haven't read it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It has some fun moments, but it's mostly the latter.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, they've done some here and there. When Daredevil relaunched they did an entire miniseries in the format.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shawn posted:

So the physical book does Marcus' intro like this and you miss out on the updating bio:

Original:

Yo, it's 2015. You can upgrade from Windows 2000 now.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I saw a guy using a handset connected to his phone one day in public. I assumed people just got those as gag gifts.

Doesn't switching to Classic in Windows 7 disable the desktop hardware acceleration making everything slower?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marvel is likely out, too, since they have their own service.

Everything else is going to depend on individual creators.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Zachack posted:

I thought DC can't really do a service like that due to how they structured contracts. The Marvel contract stuff that let them screw Kirby is the same thing that lets them have an Unlimited service because the creators basically get no (or minimal) say over what's done with the books. I don't know how something like Image would work since it's massively creator-owned - if, say, Fraction said no then that's that for his comics.

I would hope a sort of rights collector would appear, though, as a money-making venture by scooping up old rights to various long out of print stuff for cheap and getting a good rate out of Amazon for the whole thing. A lot of euro comics, Heavy Metal, comic strips, etc.
DC's "problematic" (read: favorable to creators) contracts only applied to a pretty specific time period before collections were really a thing. Even still, the issue is generally that DC wouldn't make enough money to make reprints of those comics worth the cost of printing, especially since a lot of them would have to be recolored, or at least re-separated for modern printing. Simply doling out cost-free digital editions *shouldn't* be a problem. There's a little up-front on converting to Comixology's guided view, but I bet a lot of those comics are already on there.

As for Image, yeah, it's almost certainly going to come down to individual creators. Image owns NOTHING they publish, and I doubt they structured their contracts to specifically allow for all-you-can-eat style distribution. They'd probably have to add new terms to the contracts before anything can be added.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Then why hasn't DC ever offered a catalog service or whatever the proper term is for a thing like MU?
It still costs a lot to get that up and running. MU is still not great and it's been around awhile. Offloading that cost to Comixology avoids all of that.

I should note I'm speculating, but it's definitely the older contracts that are the issue, not the more modern ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, the point I'm thinking in my head and haven't actually stated is that if they choose not to be part of this, it's not the contracts holding them back, it's probably just a corporate decision.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Space Fish posted:

If your library has Hoopla Comics service, be on the lookout for DC adding 200 books throughout the summer. 18 titles so far, some New 52, lots of popular Batman trades, first volumes Sandman, Fables, Preacher for now.... could get really good!

Oh, and this Image sale? Wytches, Descender, Bitch Planet, Kaptara, and The Fade Out have all been good to me. I'm going in on the first trade of ODY-C for $5, call out any of your favorites and tempt me into succumbing!
I've only read the stuff you've mentioned, so I can't really add anything. Spread was interesting, but didn't grab me. Might read better in chunks. I got on ODY-C when it started and it seems like something that DEFINITELY reads better in trades, so I'm holding off until it's further along. Gorgeous art, but reading the Odyssey in monthly chunks is not ideal.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

onefish posted:

Check out No Mercy (Alex de Campi writing, Carla Speed McNeil on art) for a seriously under-the-radar non-superhero, non-supernatural comic that's doing some cool stuff and has super high potential. Maybe one for people who dig Ms. Marvel, but have no real need to stay all-ages or superhero or mainstream. (It has some of the same attention to "how teens are with technology," but is getting Lord-of-the-Flies dark quick.)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/alex-de-campi-shows-no-mercy-to-teenagers-in-latest-series
https://www.comixology.com/No-Mercy-1/digital-comic/211084

What if I don't think Archie vs. Predator (also by de Campi) is that good except for the spectacle?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Crisis on Infinite Earths is the biggest one, but it's nearly impenetrable for someone familiar with DC, never mind a newbie. If you want a cool story, get the 52 trades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Yeah I picked it up, but I have only a passing familiarity with DC, I hope I'm not completely at sea.
Not really much you need to know beyond Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all inactive at that point for various reasons (Superman is depowered, Batman takes the Robins on a journey of self-discovery, and I don't recall what Diana's deal was) so various other heroes are trying to fill the gaps left by them. Also there's a pretty big gap in what the series started as and what it eventually became, but I only read it as it came out, so I'm not sure how much, if at all, that shows up while reading through it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really liked Runaways (the first issue - haven't read the second yet). It's not the old Runaways, which might be what people are complaining about.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Considering people read comics on their phones, I don't see why you couldn't read them on an iPad Mini.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because then you might accidentally buy The Titans.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don't buy a tablet that you need to root to use.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because internal memory is vastly faster and more reliable than any SD card available. Also that whole thing where if you are buying something to break it as soon as it's out of the package, you bought the wrong thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

gfanikf posted:

Some Fantastic Four stuff is currently on sale. BOOKS OF DOOM :doom: :gaz: is currently $3.99 so now you have no excuse for not having it.

Thanks for the heads up. Def gonna snag that.

Also, get Singles Club for sure. I'm not totally in love with Phonogram vol 1 but vol 2 is fantastic.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The crossover issues are pretty vital to the story, so yeah, get them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dsmif posted:

As far as I can tell, No and No.

The email tells you to use the web browser, which now has smart lists and the new library browsing from the iOS and Android apps, but still only in SD.

It's pretty dog poo poo to be honest. I hate the way content is used to enforce hardware lock in.

Maybe someday DC and/or Marvel will go DRM free, but once again it seems that the pirates get a better experience than the paying customers.
Honestly, even with the hassles with Comixology, it's still vastly easier than piracy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I forget why Bone was banned, but I think it was because it depicts sexuality. I also know when it was colorized, Scholastic asked Jeff Smith to change beer to butterbeer or root beer or something and he refused.

Anyway, this is a fantastic bundle.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also an Uber sale: $20 for everything that's been published to date. I really like the book, though the art is uneven, though the original "regular" artist has less than half of the issues currently out and won't be back.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The main complaints I hear about DMZ are "UGH this isn't what MY New York is like!!" and "Brian Wood is an rear end in a top hat!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hot take: buy We3. Then give your pets plenty of treats :unsmith:

My cat has cancer, so he's already getting all the attention I can give him. I think now would be a bad time to re-read We3.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's one I'll be skipping.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The hardcover, at least, has some added pages, but nothing essential.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gaz-L posted:

I believe that run has the story where Silver Age Supergirl crashes on regular DC Earth and immediately tries to push Earth out of the way of a meteor. This appears to everyone else, and due to the relative masses involved basically IS, her doing a really long, intense handstand.

What I'm saying is it's a good comic.

1) Why didn't she move the meteor?

2) Ignoring that, why isn't this in the funny panels thread?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've read literally none of the IDW stuff, but something called Star Slammers by Walt Simonson can't possibly be bad.

The Cornell Wolverine series aren't bad, but I'm not sure I can really recommend it, either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Has anyone read Dead Boy Detectives? Is it any good? I'm going to get Death and Books of Magic, regardless.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Man, unless the Year 1, DK1, and DK2 collections have a ton of extra material in them, it makes no sense at all to get them over the single issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Secret Love was okay. Certainly worth a buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Archer & Armstrong; Ivar, Timewalker.