Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't even know how to use guided view. I have it enabled but stuff just opens regular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

SALE TIME

Moon Knight is today's Marvel's sale. Ends at 11pm EST tonight. The Huston run was well liked around BSS despite the Finch art and a good jump on point if you want to know more about the character. The Bendis/Maleev run is...interesting. It's got some good Maleev art but I didn't really like the changes Bendis made and the treatment of Echo in the series. Mileage may vary and I think the first issue is a good example of what to expect from it.

He launches today in Marvel Heroes. Nice timing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's coincidence in the game though, since he just happened to be done faster than Doctor Strange.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Are there any other good Ultimate Spider-Man stories not included in the bundle? It seems to just be USM/UCSM and Cataclysm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Senor Candle posted:

Man who would buy an Art(ists) Edition of something on the iPad? I thought the whole point of those was that they were huge so you got to see what the original art looked like in all it's glory.

Paper doesn't have a retina display.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I bought an issue through the app once.

It cost more and didn't actually get added to my account until 3 days later.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

EVGA Longoria posted:

I bought issues through the app constantly.

The delay was because the app store screwed up and probably a one time thing, but the higher cost is always there.

Teenage Fansub posted:

With not having a store on IOS, but keeping it on Android, this has to be to stop paying Apple fees on in-app purchases.

I read a while ago that there's a decent percentage more going to Comixology, the comic companies, creators if done over a browser.

Of course. Apple charges like 30% or something, I think.

Edit: Apparently so does Google, but that's with their billing API. Maybe Android allows you to use your own to save on costs? I've never used the Android one.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 26, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shameless posted:

I'm pretty narked about this. I rarely switch the PC on nowadays and all my purchases are made through the ios app.

And I'm happy to call bullshit on any statements of "more money for the creators", I doubt they'd see another penny for sales.

Comixology.com works fine in the iPad's built in Safari.

EVGA Longoria posted:

It costs exactly the same.

By Apples rules, it HAS to cost the same. There's no higher price, Comixology just gets less money.

Apple charges tax.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you can still do it on Android it must not be a cost issue.

Maybe Apple decided to be arbitrary assholes again now that they're owned by a competitor.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sarchasm posted:

On average, about how much time has been added to each purchase by this update?

Couple of minutes for individual books, but it saves time on multiple.

The one legitimate argument I saw was that now you can't use iTunes credit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

vtlock posted:

Not to turn this into an argument about the tablet business, but there are countless sources which show that iOS generates far more revenue than any of the other mobile platforms, regardless of raw marketshare. This is perhaps the ballsiest part of Amazon's move to remove the iOS store component. Comixology was a top grossing app every Wednesday, which means Amazon could now be leaving a fair amount of that money on the table. It is also much more difficult for a casual fan to stumble into new titles.

People buying weekly releases aren't going anywhere.

It's the impulse buys they lost.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It depends which 7 inch tablet. An iPad Mini probably works, but I can't see the aspect ratio of a Nexus 7 being very good for reading comics.

An iPad Air, or I suppose that Samsung tablet they keep advertising, would be the best choice though. I still have to zoom occasionally on my Air but that's because Comixology puts 2 page spreads together, which is better than splitting them anyway. Normal single pages are fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

IIRC we didn't get any last year. Don't know why that isn't a priority. Probably because FCBD is primarily a retail thing?

Yeah, the point of FCBD is to get people into stores so most of them don't come out digitally.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Comixology has the 2010-13 'X-Men' on sale right now. 42 issue bundle, $40.

Is that run any good? I remember them starting it off with a vampire story so that's not a good sign.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Why does Marvel Unlimited (iPad) jump to the last page when you use the next issue button? Who could possibly want that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new Comixology app is loving awful.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The most useful list, unread, is on the bottom and there are no new download/unread markers on the series list.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Much like how Prime or Kindle Unlimited don't offer every single show/movie/book they have, you'd get a curated selection of big hits, fun curios and Sturgeon's Law bullshit.

Edit: If any publisher's likely to be iffy about it, it's DC, considering they've had every opportunity to do something like this before, and resolutely haven't.

If they were smart they'd take the opportunity to get the benefits of Marvel Unlimited without having to do any of the work.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Not really much you need to know beyond Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are all inactive at that point for various reasons (Superman is depowered, Batman takes the Robins on a journey of self-discovery, and I don't recall what Diana's deal was) so various other heroes are trying to fill the gaps left by them. Also there's a pretty big gap in what the series started as and what it eventually became, but I only read it as it came out, so I'm not sure how much, if at all, that shows up while reading through it.

Wonder Woman just retired to take a government job.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

Has anyone else read the new Runaways? Is it as bad as people have apparently made out it is and is there any first impressions on the new Civil War thing?. Can anyone tell me if Drones is any good? Also for my sins I'm considering getting 21st Century Tank Girl, maybe Halloween Man and George Perez's Sirens too but that's on part 4 of 6 so I might see if it's collected, it's not like I'm short of comics to read right now.

It's just a name, it's a silly detention story in a superpower school.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, is #2 already out? I don't get home for another hour.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's probably cover dated at least 6 months ago.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This is nothing compared to X-Men naming.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

All I want is to be able to read an event in order. If I'm reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers it should go from one to the other for me automatically. I would totally pay extra for that

It sorts your library by release order (or has the option to anyway), so it should do that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you go with a 9-10 inch tablet make sure it's at least 1080p. For example Samsung sells some Galaxy Tabs at 1024x768 which isn't going to look nice at all.

An iPad is always a safe bet of course.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't actually recall having quality issues when zooming in. Are you reading streamed issues, or ones you've downloaded for offline viewing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think I could pay $100/month and still save a lot right now, but that will taper off with Secret Wars ending.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zoux posted:

Image has the first volume of Morning Glories for free today. Is that series any good, looks like yet another special person academy story to me.

I like it but your enjoyment depends how long you can stand to be LOST style strung along.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I've had issues with it not continuing downloads that stop because the app or iPad was closed.

I've had to pause and unpause them to get it going again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She only cameos once, she's not part of the main team.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is Sixth Gun any good? I've seen people discuss it here but I can't recall if it was positively or not.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Have you ever felt that Star Wars was good, but missing dragon autofellatio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also they do "but that's a story for another time" a whole drat lot.