Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah as a huge fan of Year One and all that early years Batman that came out in the 80s and 90s I had held off on zero year for a long time. I finally caved and read it and it might really be better than Year One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Reading Zero Year made me admit to myself that I'm actually tired of reading about Batman fighting mobsters. It was a hard thing to do. Thanks to this thread for praising it so much, that's what finally got me to read it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Didn't they used to call Alfred "Jeeves" over the radios at some point? I remember somebody called him that just because every butler is basically a Jeeves and it ended up sticking. Maybe that was on the cartoon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Cassandra Cain was something really radical at the time. Not only was she a minority character she was also mute, at least for a while. There hadn't been a Batgirl for years at that point, and suddenly here was this creepy one with her face stitched shut. It was a great cover image. At the time I wasn't a big fan of DC comics, but seeing that at a comic store made me do a double-take and think maybe I should check it out. She was driven and focused in a way that very few Batfamily members were. She used to say that she wanted to be Batman someday. Not Batgirl or Batwoman but Batman. She wanted to be the star and didn't buy that she had to be a literal man to do it. Boiling her popularity down to "petite asian girl in a gimp suit" is the dumbest thing I've read in a while. That might be all you see in the character but that really says more about you than Cass.

At first she was this incredible fighter but it had cost her the ability to interact with others in any kind of nonviolent way, but as the character went on they gradually removed all her disabilities, because I guess writing a comic about a character that can't talk is hard, and people got lazy and didn't know what to do with her. She eventually got shuffled off to Hong Kong during Batman Inc despite only recently learning English, but hey she's Asian so close enough.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Sorry I'm kind of defensive about Cass.

You're completely right in that she never really got the stories she deserved though.

The New52 is only a few years old though so a lot of people other than Dustin Nguyen and Tumblr remember Cass. Not nearly as many people as are carrying a torch for Stephanie but she's mentioned pretty frequently when people complain about characters who've been lost to the reboot.

I think since Wally and Stephanie have both shown back up recently Cass is on a lot of people's minds lately.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I honestly would have been pretty happy to reset back to Dick as Robin and Babs as Batgirl and just let people do new things. I mean I love Tim and Damian (don't give a single gently caress about Jason) but the way they did it was so half-assed. It's hard not to cry sexism when Jason fuckin' Todd's in the mix but Cass Cain who was legally adopted by Bruce Wayne is completely forbidden.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I was about 10 when Batman Returns came out. I remember there was some kind of behind the scenes special on TV that made some comment about explaining how they got Michelle Pfeiffer into that suit, and my mom wouldn't let me watch it and at the time I didn't understand why.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I loving hate Hush so much.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Is this a different Legends of the Dark Knight series because I thought it started with Shaman which is kind of a weak Year One coattail rider but nothing at all like that happens in it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's great

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman's been dead for a while, good to hear DC is going to stop Weekend at Bernie's-ing it at least.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well at least they didn't leave Starfire's costume the way it's normally drawn.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

Ok, so the type of person who doesn't think Death Of the Family is the most retarded rear end poo poo ever is basically the most casual of casual fan. Got it.

Also it's called a Trade Paperback, and Batman has had a kid for years now. Have someone explain the New 52 to you, sometime if you want to go cross eyed.

Cool post. Unrelated, but does anyone else notice how nobody wants to get into comics anymore. It's like the industry is slowly dying in an incestuous, insular miasma and the only people reading them are the same people who have been reading their whole life. Maybe it's just me but it feels like theres never any new comics fans being made. Wonder why

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

The heads of DC have specifically said that their target audience is 40 year old men who remember these characters from their childhoods. Then they let David Goyer make fun of those same people by doing poo poo like saying anyone who's ever heard of (not just likes, but has even HEARD OF) Martian Manhunter is a "virgin loser" at press conferences they hold. That's got to be a huge part of it.

Marvel is trying their damndest to expand their audience, but despite their movies it doesn't seem to be working, though.

DC is lovely as hell with their marketing and their public presence and pretty much everything these days but that doesn't remotely mean you need to piss on the commoners from your grognard tower. I didnt even like Death of the Family but seeing a non-comics reader read a comic and be that enthusiastic about it I cant help but feel good. This guy is sure having more fun reading Batman than I am and I dont know about you but I read comics to have fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

TheJoker138 posted:

If the answer to why people don't seem to get into comics anymore is "some rear end in a top hat on the internet might make fun of them" then it's a wonder people are even bothering to get out of bed anymore because you can't do a loving thing without some rear end in a top hat on the internet making fun of you. Rereading it my post before came off a bit more hostile than I meant it to though. Also if it wasn't for people insulting other people's tastes this forum would have about 1/3 of the posts that it currently does.

When you put it that way. Thank god you were here to be a condescending shithead to a stranger. God knows those 2/3 of awful posts in BSS are the most precious resource the forum has. Its also completely inevitable that someone would be an rear end in a top hat to this dude, which is why you were literally the only person in the thread doing it. The internet is an untamed wasteland, better toughen up if you want to talk about Batman around these parts.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

My favorite off the beaten path Batman stuff is The Man who Laughs, Batman and the Monster Men, and Batman and the Mad Monk. They're all modern day retellings of old Batman stories from the 1940s, they're all really good and fit really well in between Year One and Long Halloween.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One are also both very fun reads. They were just re-released in a single trade too.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It does seem a little hard to believe that the court would just sit back and watch Gotham turn into Lord of the Flies but ultimately it's the question of "where is Hawkeye during winter soldier". The answer to both is "the story they wanted to tell didn't need them".

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finally caught up on Batman and Eternal. Endgame is pretty poo poo, honestly. I guess it's cool that Joker has a face again but it's pretty much the same horror movie vibe as DotF except instead of Jason Vorhees it's Night of the Living Dead. It's also nearly impossible to buy Batman and Joker as this ultimate adversarial pair, locked in a death spiral, when how many times have they possibly gone head to head in the four years Batman has even existed? Even putting aside the "big twist" because it will undoubtedly not resolve anything, Joker will be presumed dead at the end, and they will go right back to never knowing for sure whether it was true or not, blah blah blah.

I don't think Snyder waited long enough between his big epic Joker stories. There should have maybe been a few more low-stakes, one or two issue Joker adventures somewhere in there.

Eternal has some good stuff in it. I really wasn't expecting a Gates of Gotham reference though it's pretty obvious they're going to hit every single Batman rogue in some way before the end of it. I like how they've handled Stephanie even though making her mom villainous is kind of a poo poo move considering the old continuity. Stephanie and Selena is going to be a pretty interesting story I feel like.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah maybe I didnt phrase that well, I think it's a bad idea to ever explicitly nail down the Joker's origin, that was one of the few things I didn't enjoy about Zero Year, but when they make such a ludicrous, potentially game-changing reveal like the one in Endgame it makes me roll my eyes because I know it's not going to matter one way or the other.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batman is the biggest mary sue in the history of fiction. I say this as a huge Batman fan.

And DC absolutely has tried to ramp up the other Bat-villains to be more threatening, wasn't there a story where Mad Hatter made a bunch of people drown themselves for no real reason other than "whoa look at this BAD GUY"? But rather than making them omniscient in the case of Joker it just results in a constant grimdark arms race to see who can rack up the most dead civilians before Batman kicks their teeth in.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

Bruce going to meet the Joker AS BRUCE and doing nothing to hide his appearance probably didn't help, either. God, that was stupid.

But he actually seems surprised in Endgame when Joker knows who he is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I hope Eternal keeps going long enough that it starts looping back around to the villains they've already been through. Like in six months, holy poo poo, it really was Hush! A week later, no wait, it's the Riddler!

The real mastermind was Crazy Quilt all along

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Flameingblack posted:

These range from silly to absolute great.

Not this though what the gently caress is it even

Thats one of the cooler ones actually despite the "Team Neko"

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well yeah, if she's not Oracle nobody has a clue what to do with Barbara. I swear the first year or so of the new 52 felt like there was a flying coffee cup flashback every issue because getting shot is pretty much the only other thing anybody can remember about her.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It is pretty good but it is also only been like, five issues out of almost forty since she became Batgirl again.

And yes, aside from the photographic memory thing the character does feel a lot more like Steph to me.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I generally like Snyder but at this point I'm just going to conclude that he's poo poo at writing the Joker. The cave isn't safe? You just did that, like DotF was like...yesterday, dogg. Quit acting like you've been writing Joker stories for decades and every one you do is some huge capstone to the characters. I see all these gruesome Capullo covers and it's like, yeah, cool, dude's a great artist. Didn't we just do this poo poo? I have to double check to see, is this a DotF cover that I forgot about, or is this a new Batman.

I'm really fuckin burned out on huge apocalyptic Batman stories, I guess.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Don't forget about that completely forgettable three(?)-issue Clayface story that happens between Joker attacks. I cant even remember now if that happened before Zero Year or after it.

I'm torn on Eternal because the actual plot is dumb as gently caress but drat if I'm not loving the way they're reintroducing Stephanie. Mob boss Selina is also really dope. Is her book good now? I remember it being among the absolute worst of the Batfamily books when the new52 launched. What issue does she start being a bad rear end mobster?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Harper's pretty awesome, imo.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Harper's in no way taken over as Bruce's field partner. She's been mostly under Tim's supervision, it's not like she's going out on patrol with him. She's getting better and proving her usefulness and both in Eternal and Batman there's huge apocalyptic scenarios going on where Bruce needs all the help he can get. He just deputized Bane and the rest of the rogues in Endgame for cryin out loud.

Especially since both storylines apparently take place before Damian's resurrection which leaves Bruce without one clear solid 'partner'.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Snyder's run has been like, three arcs. DotF explicitly involved the entire family, Zero Year happened before any of his sidekicks even existed, and I guess Court of Owls did have him working mostly solo. I dont think you can really say he always writes Batman working alone. Again, Batman is working with Penguin, Ivy and Mr. Freeze so I dont know why him working with Harper is so upsetting. He's clearly up against the wall.

They're getting development because they're undefined, new characters. Readers know who Tim and Jason and Barbara are, and everyone but Tim has their own book to develop in, anyway.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Finally catching up on post-Williams Batwoman. Holy hell this book got terrible faster than I've ever seen a book get terrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman was good to begin with, though

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Not saying he was as good as Rucka's work on the character but it was a comic I looked forward to every month. Then bam, she's in outer space for some Goddamn reason.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It needs a real clear direction and a solid creative team if it ever gets going again. And she needs to not be a vampire, or at least know she's a vampire.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Batman /Appleseed crossover nobody wanted is here!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Does Gordon know who batgirl is in this continuity? If not he might still go after her.

Alternatively the cover is lying and robo bat will just track Batgirl down to team up with her or something.

Alternatively alternatively, it's the sentient Barbara ai powering the robo bat.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The chaos with the traffic lights and everything was definitely his doing but I'm pretty sure he's still working for someone.

Edit: it's going to be Dan Didio

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Short of literally erasing the New 52 from existence and pretending like nothing ever changed, of course.

If they wanted to reference Killing Joke without betraying the current spirit of Batgirl they should do a cover with Babs doing the famous "Smile!" cover, holding up her phone, with a picture of Joker in bat-cuffs or whatever on the screen. It's the simplest most obvious thing. You reference the classic story everyone just can't get enough of but the hero gets to turn the tables on the villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Yeah, I was being facetious. They've leaned in hard and they don't really have a choice but to ride on through and see where it goes.

• Locked thread