Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.

Nevvy Z posted:

Shogo is a boy. Not an all-female team.

I still don't get why Jubilee, a Chinese-American, gave her kid a Japanese name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I am so loving happy to see Aaron finally gone from the X-Men and in favor of Yost to boot! Now if only Bendis could leave and Marvel brings back Carey to replace him.

That's not to say I think Aaron's a bad writer, I love Ghost Rider. Just that I think his X-Men stuff has been really bad.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

J-Man X posted:

I feel pretty comfortable saying that this week's X-Men Legacy #300 is already one of my favorite standalone X-Men stories.

Yeah I came in here to say that. It's hands down one of the best single issue X-Men stories, or hell X-Men stories in general, ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

HorseRenoir posted:

Also, seconding the love for Legacy #300. Not sure who wrote what for that issue, but all of it was stellar.

I'd assume the JGS bits were Spurrier, Carey did the Age of X section, and Gage did the Mimic/Weapon Omega part.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Um, X-Men Legacy #300 was really good. Guess I should read the Mike Carey run, huh?

Carey's run is like five years long (since it's Adjectiveless until the title becomes Legacy post-Messiah Complex) and it's all really good for the most part. His run starts on 188 and goes to 260.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Yet another Bendis UXM issue where he just dicks around and stretches out the SHIELD vs X mystery.

Bendis' X-Men is like post-time skip Flowers of Evil where you keep thinking it's working towards some big bomb that shakes everything up, it keeps looking like it's setting that bomb up, but the bomb is a dud and nothing happens and it's just really boring.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Because he has a habit of not following up on the subplots he makes. It isn't something new. Aside not knowing how to write different character voices, respecting character development other writers have done, or even making good stories (how quick people forget BotA), Bendis has showed with his Avengers run that most of the time he just clashes toys together in an improvised subplot and immediately forgets about it.

In all fairness to BotA (and I mean I did the write up in the lovely runs thread so I hate it), the way I've always heard it was that it was originally something Aaron came up with and the editors decided to make it an anniversary event across the whole line. I don't think it would've been a good story either way but yeah.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Actually who is the X-Men group editor now that Lowe is on the Spider-Man books?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

After everything Carey did to fix Brubaker and Whedon's messes we're really already back to THE EVIL DARK SECRETS of Xavier you won't believe exist.

What if, and bear with me here because this is truly uncharted territory, what if Charles Xavier... was secretly an rear end in a top hat?! Did I blow your mind? Did I shatter your view of a saintly figure?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

As bad as Bendis' stuff is it's not as dumb as Adjectiveless just kind of haphazardly resurrecting Selene and Madelyne Pryor just because. Like not even the weird/dumb "psychic ghost" stuff they've done to use Maddy, straight up fully alive again which you think would be kind of a big deal and not shoved into an arc where the main villain is some kind of combination of Sublime's sister and Lady Deathstrike.

I wanted to like that book so much and it started strong but after the first few issues it turned into a giant turd.

Suben fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 10, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Reading both this run and Disassembled so close together you get to fully experience the terriblness of just how Marvel didn't know how to handle Magneto for years.

Is there truth to the story of Quesada cornering Morrison at SDCC in '04 and screaming at him for being ungrateful after Morrison announced his DC exclusivity? It's always made me half-wonder if the immediate dismantling of Morrison's stuff (the reversal started immediately and his status quo was destroyed within a year) wasn't at least partially fueled by petty revenge (in concert with Quesada's already kinda childish/dumb Three Genies).

Rick posted:

It's not that I don't like Magneto as a villain, it's that I think his story arc as a villain ran its natural course (other than if he was permanently killed, the only thing that could happen was he was redeemed) and my problem is when lesser writers decide to have him twirl a mustache because they can't think of anything else to do. That isn't to say there still aren't some really good stories out there that could be told with Magneto as a villain, but it's going to have to be built to and we're far away at the moment.

Really I think it's that nobody is ever going to buy Magneto as a pure villain again. The image of him being a man constantly walking the thin line between hero and villain, ultimately noble and respected but whose emotions and fiery nature get the better of him, is just way too entrenched for people to accept anything else.

Waterhaul posted:

The thing with real life metaphors for the X-Men and a character like Magneto is they are both things that can be done but just take that extra bit of effort to do well. There's contradictions in how they work but with the effort you can do a lot of fun things with them, even have something worthwhile to say with them.

It's actually kind of frustrating that Marvel have moved away from attempting to push the X-Men in an interesting direction the last few years (with say the exception of Legacy) in favor of "they are just superheroes so deal with it".

I think the superhero direction would be fine if we were still under the Morrison-era status quo. The metaphor is always going to be fairly loose (due to existing in a superhero universe and all) and not exact but "mutants are people as much as anybody else; learn to accept that they're here to stay or get left in the dust and viewed as a dinosaur" works fine with the evolution of views regarding race, sexuality, etc. Younger generations will probably be more alright with it growing up in a more integrated world, there will be people who will be uncomfortable, and there will be the batshit bigots who become more and more ostracized.

I'd be fine with the X-Men being slowly accepted as heroes in their own right as just part of a gradual shift. But, well, that's been gone for close to ten years at this point.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I've never read that Excalibur run since I have a crippling allergy to later day Claremont. What happened in Excalibur exactly?

Claremont created the hippest character ever: a rebellious goth girl who controls ghosts named Wicked.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Polaris's outfit at this point is really weird, its like a girl decided to cosplay as the Joker, but a female joker that is also a fetish superhero.

Also sucked the Juggernaut into his head. BTW, that was really brutal, Cain was actually a good guy, and that poor fish kid ruined it and got himself killed, sending Cain into a massive guilt spiral where he sacrificed himself.

And then Frank Tieri decided that he hated "Huggernaut" and tried to make him a villain again.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The thing that's really irritating me with Marvel right now is the "television seasons" mindset they're taking. Books get a year, year and a half and then they're relaunched. New creative team? Relaunch. New direction? Relaunch. I'm sick to loving death of constant relaunches and if the sales of the Marvel Now! 2 stuff (at least the Diamond numbers from Comichron) are anything to go by it looks like they've started completely killing the New #1 gimmick with that poo poo too. Avengers World is, so far, the best of the new number 1's with 86k. Everything else seems to fall around the 40k-50k range give or take. Avengers Undercover and Iron Patriot are the lowest of any Now book (first or second wave) so far debuting at 31k and when you're doing like 10k+ worse than loving Morbius' debut you're DOA.

Of course some of those books like Ms. Marvel and ANGR might be doing just as good if not better in digital but digital sales numbers aren't released so if Marvel says they're doing well digitally you just have to take their word for it.

Suben fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 14, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

The correct answer is who cares because it's gonna lead to Greg Rucka writing Scott and his dad having space adventures.

If a character dies you should probably give a reason as to why they're back even if it's something as dumb as "dead by your standards" (Colossus should've stayed dead).

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

Jason Aaron isn't done with the X books and is just taking a break to do Original Sin so maybe expect Kyle and Yost to only be on Amazing temporarily? Would make sense given his last issue of Amazing was just set up.

I really thought we were (well I was) finally rid of him too. :sigh:

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

The problem with Storm is that she's just a pile of "Strong" characteristics and not much more than that. She's a virtual goddess, a queen, a former street urchin (but this makes her crafty), she's powerful, a good hand-to-hand fighter, a leader, etc. The problem, of course, is that on the surface that makes for a cool character but in practice it's actually detrimental because there's nothing there for the reader to get hooked into as a driving motivation. Maybe Pak can change that though, who knows?

It's a more extreme version of the problem Carol's had under KSD. I think there's a good character beat under there (that was sort of touched on in both Busiek's run and House of M) of someone who has all the potential, and the desire, in the world to be one of the best heroes but has to constantly struggle with self-doubt that holds her back but she's going to keep plugging away anyway. That's a relatable hook for a lot of people I think. But under KSD she's just been made into someone who's strong and awesome and the best and we're constantly told this, please view her as inspirational. The best description I've seen of current Carol is that she's not a character, she's a hashtag.

Storm doesn't even really have that though. She's never really had the same struggles as a character that Carol's had. She's strong and beautiful and competent and everyone wants her with no seeming character flaw to counter it.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Decius posted:

Thor has a host of flaws - stubborn, not very bright, too trusting, the subtlety of a brick wall, getting riled up easily, getting drunk too often.
KSD tried to add flaws to Captain Marvel that aren't alcoholism, but they were all artificial - not able to fly/use powers too much and then amnesia (always a bad idea). That doesn't make an interesting downside to a good character, although she is better in Avengers Assemble and Hickman's Avenger books.
Storm doesn't even have that though. At most she's unable to accept others challenging her authority, and even that is pretty inconsistent.

I don't even think the amnesia is a bad idea in and of itself. It just should've been done at the beginning of the series (maybe even between issues or something, whatever). That way you allow Carol to act as something of a POV character for the new readers you're trying to attract and you can now explore Carol, her history, and what the legacy of the name Captain Marvel means and have Carol grow from that while introducing these concepts to the new readers.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Young Jean implying that she would be totally into old Scott was creepy as gently caress.

Everything about Young Jean is creepy as gently caress.

Also, it's hard to think of a more unlikable character in cape comics (or X-Men comics at least) than Kitty... which would be fine if we were actually supposed to not like her instead of thinking she's awesome.

Suben fucked around with this message at 18:57 on May 1, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Good news: Wood is off X-Men after #17.

Bad news: He's being replaced by loving Marc Guggenheim UGGGGGGGGH.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Like they don't have anyone else they can call up? Carey just did an OGN for them. Liu? Some new up and coming writer? Anyone!

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Is that good news because it got terrible or because of the stuff that came out about him?
I stopped reading after the Battle For The Atom, for no good reason, but I liked it up to that point. Especially the issue with Jubilee and Wolverine hanging out.

Why not both? But in terms of pure creative, because the book took a giant nosedive in quality as soon as BotA started.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

I hate Bendis' X-Men, the future Brotherhood and everything associated with BotA, the worst X-Men story ever.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Chuck Austen says hello

I'll contend that it's worse than anything Austen wrote. There's at least some kind of logic, stupid as it might be, in something like The Draco and you can kind of see what Austen was doing. Battle of the Atom makes no sense whatsoever, is awful from start to finish and of course has a non-ending that means all of this dumb poo poo is going to be (and is now) revisited.

Also all of the dumb poo poo at the end of the story where Wolverine basically says everyone he killed doesn't matter and Kitty yells at everyone for being awful jerks for trying to send the O5 back and not making it their decision after being shown that basically time will destroy itself if one of them dies. I'd like Kitty a whole lot better if we were actually supposed to think she's selfish and stuck-up instead of thinking we're supposed to think she's cool for those reasons.

Suben fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 15, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hahaha, Death of Wolverine will apparently have holofoil covers thus further proving my theory that the '90s never actually went away.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

OldTennisCourt posted:

What's the general thread thoughts on the Magneto series? I've been picking it up and really enjoying it. I like the idea of Magneto being this wandering death bringer to people who gently caress with Mutants. Sort of like a mutant Punisher.

It's easily the best thing Bunn's written at Marvel.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Northstar and his husband have a pretty healthy relationship, I think. The book they were featured in was powerfully boring so it's hard to be sure.

I liked the part where Liu spent most of her run building up Karma and Warbird as a thing and then a few weeks after Astonishing ends Amazing #1 comes out and Warbird's pretty much wanting to jump on Iceman's dick and her deal with Karma is never mentioned again.

Also the healthiest X-Men relationship was Jubilee and Tim Drake. Shame that couldn't continue past Marvel vs. DC for obvious reasons.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

They are really pushing Quentin to become a full fledged Xmen.

I know and it's terrible.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Cabbit posted:

Screw you it is. We could use more telepaths who aren't there for Scott Summers to alternatively pine over or be related to. The closest we've got is Hellion, who's just a telekinetic and only really shows up when one of the kids needs to be an rear end in a top hat or get maimed.

Sure. However Quire is really annoying and I hate him.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

d00gZ posted:

I loved Kathryn Immonen on Hellcat but I'm getting kind of tired of every story she writes being HEY LOOK SUPER WACKY!!!!

Immonen's pretty much a writer of two extremes. Either her ADHD style works and you get Hellcat, or it doesn't and you get Pixie Strikes Back. There's really no middle ground.

Edit: I honestly think "wacky high concept" is sort of an overplayed thing at Marvel in general though IMO and it's the main reason I absolutely hate Aaron's X-Men run.

Suben fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 22, 2014

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

IMO bringing back 616 Blink was a pretty clear sign that the Exiles brand and everything associated with it is so poisoned that it's going to be a long time before we ever see the "real" Blink (which is kind of funny to think that an alternate version is basically THE version) again.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

She came from a dystopian future.

A way to show dystopian is to have the women all look really butch.

Lesbians are stereotyped as all being butch.

There ya go.

I kind of like that she's always bad a bit of a butch look though which sets her apart from most other female heroes. That period during the Claremont/Davis Uncanny run from like ten years back where she was running around in short skirts and looking "sexy" was lame.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

Bringing the topic back to X-Men...

Are the First Class comics good? There are quite a bunch of them... They're all-ages, right? I really wish Marvel kept making digest-sized stuff. More often than not, those are the comics I want to read, with little reliance on continuity and the worst excesses of mainline comics.

(I mean, Marvel Adventures Spider-Man had a really neat reinterpretation of Emma Frost which managed to eliminate the baggage associated with her, but that's another topic)

First Class is pretty good because Jeff Parker's a good writer.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

X-Cutioner's Song is better than Battle of the Atom, things actually happen in it between the 1st and last issues.

Being better than Battle of the Atom isn't really an accomplishment.

Rhyno posted:

It's original, old school X-Force and has work by pre spawn Greg Capullo which is very clean and decent looking artwork. There's a ton of sub plots that are introduced that never get any resolution so be prepared for that as well.

Oh and Cable's not in that arc.

I'll go out on a limb and say '90s X-Force isn't that bad. Is it a GREAT comic? Not really but I think it's readable enough outside of constantly getting caught up in '90s X-Men Crossover Madness. Nicieza's run is alright, Loeb's is readable, Moore has the road trip arc which is one of my favorite X-Men stories even if it gets a bit eh near the end with the Reignfire origin which was dumb but, well, Reignfire was a dumb mess to begin with.

Then Counter-X starts and Ellis turns them into a black ops team (a superhero team being described as "black ops" is not always but usually a big indicator to just stay away) and naturally brings in his self-insert Pete Wisdom and it's garbage until Milligan/Allred.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

PaybackJack posted:

wacky new 90s costumes

Speaking of X-Force and '90s costumes, the "pilot" outfit (for lack of a term, the blue/yellow bomber jacket, goggles, etc. one) is Cannonball's best costume and should come back. :colbert:

Cannonball has had some awful costumes though.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

It's not the name, it was design. Guido's look in the 90s was awful.

I always took his look as a shot at Liefeld and other '90s misshapen muscle artists but he was around before the '90s so I guess probably not?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Probably Magic posted:

Raze could've been an interesting character since Logan and Raven are pretty strange people whose kid would be weird, but he's just written as a blue Sabertooth. Missed opportunity there.

Raze would be better if he wasn't a villain I think. Just make him more of a self-interested, flamboyant dude going around and saving the day in the pursuit of fame, money excitement, etc. like a non-lovely Daken or something and it would've improved him tenfold.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Unmature posted:

This thread needs some positivity.

I just read Schism and it kicked rear end. I hope Regenesis is as good. I also read the first issue of X-Men, the all girl one and liked it. It's a good issue, not great, but I hear it picks up. All the next X-Men are the women so even if it's not a super fun book like WatX or ANX it should still be interesting.

Schism sucked and the status quo it brought is one of the worst things to ever happen to the X-Men.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Unmature posted:

You must be so much fun to be around.

Schism and its status quo is just another extension of the same stupid "heroes vs. heroes; heroes are nothing but bickering rear end in a top hat babies" garbage that's been running through Marvel in the close to 10 years since Civil War only magnified because the characters also tend to act even dumber which makes for terrible reading. I mean like it if you want but I'm really sick of that stuff overall at this point and its led to some of my absolute least favorite X-Men stories (BotA, AvX, basically the entirety of Bendis' and Aaron's X-Men writing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I know I'm generalizing, and I can't really blame people for being dismayed with Bendis, but sometimes I get the feeling that the only thing that could please some of you guys is if every comic reverted back to being perpetually stuck in the silver age.

My favorite X-Men period is the Morrison era. They were both trying out different concepts with books like X-Statix (pop culture satire), District X (detective drama), Exiles (an ongoing What If? comic with a continuous cast), New Mutants/Academy X (high school soap opera), New X-Men (meta commentary on the nature of the X-Men as a franchise), etc. Plus the minority metaphor got pulled into the modern day and as a result it felt like things were actually advancing both conceptually for the franchise and for mutants in-story.

Was it perfect or was all of it good? Of course not, there was plenty of dumb poo poo (Austen's run, NYX, Weapon X), iffy story arcs or whatever but I appreciated trying new things. And you could kind of see it as something of a more optimistic time that showed the potential for a better future long down the road for mutants even if things were still rough in the immediate present.

As much as I hated AvX the ending gave me hope that maybe we could go back a little bit to that since now you have lots of new mutants and mutants are a thing again. But nope, it just added a couple of fairly bad new characters and things have been trudging along the same way they have for the last few years.

• Locked thread