Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zapjackson
May 21, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Nah. The trouble with over thinking something supposed to be conversational like a video game podcast or video game forum post is self-evident with the new Besties format.

Making an effort to be nice isn't overthinking, it's just thinking.

This thread will undoubtedly show that some people just aren't super into the idea of another "3-4 dudes don't prepare, then talk about what video games they've been playing" podcast. The Besties guys are trying different things, which is what you have to do if you want to advance the form.

I think it's admirable, especially given the amount of poo poo that gets heaped on them for having the gall to produce some free entertainment for us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Woffle posted:

*AHEM* :angel:

If anyone has thoughts about The Forrest of Fallen Giants that they want to share with Bonfireside Chat, please send them to us by Saturday at 11AM PST. We'll be joined by CJ from the excellent and fun Twin Humanities Podcast.

https://www.duckfeed.tv/contact

Stop shoving your stupid agenda down our throats by mostly talking about things that you're interested in, Gary.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Pasco posted:

I will never get tired of / understand the arguments about Don't Starve on VGHD :allears:

Maybe we'll just make a supercut of those for the next episode -- we recorded a show last week and lost mine and Kevin's audio in a crash, and then we re-recorded later and lost Riff's audio to a corrupted SD card.

I'm gonna try to thread something stupid together.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

Wow, a mythical "only listens to the podcast never visits the web site" unicorn has stepped out of the forest.

I can't tell if this is sarcastic or not. Like, not in an I'm being a dick sense, but I honestly don't know. I only listen to the Bombcast. I never go to the site except in the rare instances where a Google search about a particular dev directs me to one of its wiki pages.

It doesn't seem like that would be a rarity. I don't really watch video content on the Internet, and I always figured that's a trait a lot of podcast listeners would share.

Sorry about the audio quality weirdness on the last VGHD. We recorded on different gear and I had to edit it on earbuds. I'll try to re-render it when things get back to normal.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

EC posted:

I had a great time doing this. I don't know how Gary and Kole keep up with their podcasting schedule, we recorded for 2.5 hours and I was pretty wiped out at the end, mentally.

Kole is secretly a set of identical octuplets and Gary has a horrifying machine that makes clones of himself that only live long enough to record a single hour of podcast.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I don't think, nor did I say, that "kids today are too dumb to install Minecraft mods". I just challenge the carelessly tossed-off assumption that "everybody who plays Minecraft uses mods," because I just don't think it's true.

In this, as in all things, I could be wrong. I don't think anybody on either side really has the data to back it up.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Ulta posted:

I am guessing but can no way confirm, that everyone records locally and then they sync in editting. Having a single recorder is generally easier, but you'll always have sound degradation.

Yeah, we record each end locally and then I mix them in editing.

I saw a talk a few years ago by Adam Lisagor where he demonstrated the process of editing You Look Nice Today (which I never knew until then was done via Skype.) He went nuts editing practically every sentence of it for maximum punchiness, even to the point where he'd edit laughs from earlier in the episode if he felt like a later joke didn't get a good enough reaction. It was madness, but given how good the finished product was, it must've been the good kind of madness.

MBMBAM is another one -- I think Griffin spends a TON of time making it not sound like they're in different places.

My editing job is made a lot easier by the fact that only one person is remote.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Al! posted:

Probably my favorite thing about Video Games Hotdog is Kevin's increasing exasperation with Zack's sign off.

He doesn't know what good is.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Have any games podcasts talked about Wasteland 2, yet?

The last Quarter to Three episode was mostly about it.

I think it's kinda below the radar of a lot of the bigger casts. Man it's good, though, for my money.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Ulta posted:

Zak (and anyone who disagrees with the following)

Contact is the worst movie of all time. It is worse than The Spirit or any Uwe Boll movie. It is a poo poo movie with a poo poo message. Also it's weird because I talked about how lovely it was a day before, so I guess my dad is an alien and also 18 hours of dad jokes.

[fart noise]

The book is good. Her dad wasn't an alien. Maybe you just didn't understand the story. [second fart noise]

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

al-azad posted:

His criticisms on the pacing and UI are grounded but by calling it a "hotkey based interface" he establishes both the conceit and solution to the design. All those steps he listed can be done in half the time by using the hotkeys provided. Space selects/deselects the entire party. The function keys select your individual party members. The number keys select their skills. And perception is always active, there's no reason to turn it off.

The specific thing I was talking about was a situation where there is a locked door, and an NPC gives you the key to it, say as a quest reward.

The process for opening that door is:

1) Go to the character's inventory who got the key.
2) Right click the key, click [Assign to Hotkey].
3) Go back out to the main interface.
4) Hit the hotkey number associated with the key or click its icon.
5) Click the door.

Minor problem with 1: You're not always sure which character got the key. The party's inventory is pretty fungible. Maybe step 1) takes 6 keystrokes because it happened to be your sixth guy who turned in the quest.
Minor problem with 2: Every single key in the game has the exact same inventory icon.

I understand the interface, and I like the way skills get applied to the world in general. I just observed that this particular thing, and a few other things like it (objects in the world with only one possible action that can be performed on them, in a way that isn't a puzzle or a mechanically interesting thing) were handled a little clunkily.

zapjackson fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Oct 5, 2014

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Kevin (from Video Games Hot Dog) used one of those lights when he was living in Chicago. I think the voodoo concerns are overblown. I mean, everybody admits that the SUN does stuff, and this is a device that simulates the sun in obviously real and measurable ways. It'd be like saying that artificial lights used to grow plants are a scam.

This is relevant to the thread because it is about a video game podcaster.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

bobservo posted:

Hey dudes, Retronauts is coming back for another season, and this time around, we'll be backed by Patreon—also, we're partnering with USgamer. Apologies in advance for this shameful plug.

Pledged! Can't wait for the new season.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

For the guy who was asking about Jim Crawford guesting on Video Games Hot Dog, we had him on again yesterday. Episode 174.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

That's actually not an outlandish theory. Not sure if this is his reasoning, but among a subset of IM and higher level players (who still like chess, natch), the thought is that chess relies too much on memorizing opening lines, and that the advantage tends to go to who has memorized the most variety and to the max depth of various openings, rather than who is the best strategic / tactical player. Hence such things as Bobby Fisher's invention of Chess960

David Sirlin talked about this some on the first episode of his new podcast, which I like a lot so far. It's very much design-focused, so if that's your thing, then... maybe it's your thing.

Might be worth adding to next year's podcast post if it sticks around. Though it's not specifically about video games...

http://www.sirlin.net/posts/podcast-sirlin-on-game-design

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I got to the Capra Demon, and that's where I gave up.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

al-azad posted:

Yoshi's Island ... practically no challenge outside of the secret worlds.

This is where some of the opinion disconnect comes from, I think. I played Yoshi's Island for the first time as an adult, and found it to be incredibly difficult. And... like... maybe I'm just an old man baby, but I 100%ed Super Mario World, I can regularly beat Spelunky, I beat a ton of punishing NES platformers as a kid -- this is the kind of game I'm normally able to get good at. But after I died like fifty times on a fairly straightforward platforming challenge in the first castle, I just wasn't having fun because it was too hard and I was making zero progress.

Granted, I only gave it a couple of hours, but maybe none of the charming things about it are charming to me because I'm too busy being angry that I missed a goddamned platform again because of the stupid floaty jump, or jumping into a pit on purpose because that stupid goddamned obnoxious baby is making his annoying goddamned panicky baby noises just outside of reach of my stupid floaty jump. Jesus, I'm getting pissed off and stressed out now just remembering that baby.

It's just weird. Sometimes on forums I see people say "Yoshi's Island is hard," and there's a big chorus of "No it's not!" I wonder if there's some particular execution blind spot that some platformer players have. Come to think of it, I often avoided getting the Yoshis in SMW because I found them so clunky to control. Maybe that's why I don't have the muscle memory for this.

Oh also I really don't like the way it looks. I can admit that this is probably because my overall aesthetic sense is underdeveloped, and maybe red-green deficiency has something to do with it, but when I look at a screen of that game, I absolutely cannot distinguish between foreground and background objects. I can't stand the chunky weird inconsistently-sized pixels. It doesn't read as intentional to me, it just looks like a lovely 90s digitization. It is ugly to me in the same way that Hotline Miami is ugly, but HM is that way on purpose.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Haha. When Jake described Star Wars Episode 1 as the thing that made him stop being so blindly enthusiastic about new entries in beloved franchises, I thought "Oh man. I remember when Zelda 2 did that exact thing for me."

I also remember thinking that it super-weirdly ripped off the Rambo NES game in a bunch of minor presentational ways, and then later learning that Zelda 2 came out first in Japan, and then feeling dumb, because it's like how Warhammer totally ripped off Blizzard.

I don't think Zelda 2 is necessarily a bad game, I just don't think it's a very good Zelda game. I guess it depends on which parts of the Zelda experience you consider to be the core.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Donkey Kong 3 is pretty fun. It's definitely the best video game about hitting an ape in the butt with bug spray.

I think DKC looks okay but I did not have fun playing it.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

probably late on this but I fully support the REM podcast that WOFF wants to do, as it would be amazing

Heh, yeah, me too. Podcasting at Night? P. Central Cast? Pod Pod Hummingbird. Umm. Poddy Casty People.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I like and continue to listen to the Bombcast because

a) I think the hosts are funny and clever and quick-witted,
b) Jeff's "controversial" opinions are often identical to mine, and therefore 100% correct,
c) Brad's voice is like a warm blanket soaked in expensive brandy,
d) they talk about big popular games and industry stuff, a lot of which I would otherwise just not ever hear about.

I would describe it to an interested but unfamiliar party as being a mainstream games podcast with the directness, levity and format you'd usually associate with an indie games podcast. Also as being very long, so if you don't have a lot of podcast time in your week then I can see why you might skip it.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Pasco posted:

I think some of the VGHD guys read the thread:

What's with the background Jeff Goldblum around 19 minutes into this weeks cast? And will it be a recurring feature?

Riff's text message notification is that clip of Ian Malcolm laughing in Jurassic Park.

The text he got was from Jeff Goldblum. It said "Heh heh hawwww, heh heh heh."

I think the thing I like the most about Dan Ryckert is how readily he admits when he doesn't know something. This is a thing I wish more people did. A lot of people are self-conscious about it and it gets in the way of learning and understanding.

That was the rest of Jeff's text. I guess he was reading this thread.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Woffle posted:

Anyone want to request a genre for us to bring back by talking about how it's dead?

BBS door games please.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Yeah, what's wrong with the RSS feed?

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

Fawf posted:

The truth hurts sometimes. Going back to the same dungeon repeatedly with the payoff being "oh boy now I can get to the bottom of this shithole in half the time" blew rear end.

No way, man. Going back into the same space with new tools to traverse it more efficiently was really great.

Speaking of great, y'know what was great? Having Gary from Duckfeed on the most recent episode of Video Games Hot Dog.

The only bad thing about Phantom Hourglass was the control scheme.

Speaking of bad, y'know what was bad? Yoshi's Island.

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

I like to bring positivity to the table. :/

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

While you're adding Jim to the roster for Video Games Hot Dog, it'd be cool if you wanna link up our twitters to our names.

Zack Johnson @zapjackson
Kevin Simmons @puzzletheory
Riff Conner @rifflesby
Jim Crawford @mogwai_poet

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

MASTUR.BAT
REPRODUCTIVE.SYS

Goofy Remo is best Remo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zapjackson
May 21, 2012

ja2ke posted:

If you want to be my hero, co-list Tone Control and Designer Notes as more or less the same show, as Designer Notes is almost the same show as Tone Control but is 1) hosted by Soren Johnson instead of Steve Gaynor, and 2) actually still publishing episodes.

Don't ever change that description of VGHD because I think it kinda irks zack.

No way, I love it the most.

• Locked thread