Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Since this is the closest thing we have to a chat thread, and I really don't think this warrants its own thread:

Why are we so unbelievably obsessed with pointing out sexual content in anime and getting morally outraged about it? That seems to be the main reason anyone dislikes shows around here; when people turn on a show because it's just straight up bad, it just kind of stops getting discussed, but if it has too many panty shots or gratuitous titties (even if it's otherwise kinda decent, like Kill la Kill or *monogatari), OH NO THIS IS DESTROYING MY FRAGILE MORAL FIBER, BETTER RUN TO THE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN ABOUT IT. Hell, even stuff like the VN thread (where you'd think people would be a lot more chill, given the nature of the beast) has people bending over backwards to say how much they hate sex scenes in things and how every sex scene ever is literally Hitler for existing.

It's not even an SA thing as a whole. You don't see trashy cable shows like Spartacus or DaVinci's Demons being essentially (or even explicitly) banned from discussion in TVIV because they have too much sex in them. Under the Skin, a movie that is largely being marketed on the premise "Scarlett Johansson is naked in this movie," has an active thread in CineD where people are civilly discussing the movie rather than bitching about how terrible it is that it has nudity in it (and if you want to make the argument that UtS' nudity isn't as gratuitous as most anime nudity, there's a horror movie thread where someone asked for recommendations for necrophilia movies without getting chased out). Games actually went in the explicit opposite direction from this and banned any discussion of these kind of issues for a while, though I haven't really ventured in there that much lately so I'm not sure if that's still the case. Why is ADTRW the only subforum that's this terrified of sex in the stuff we consume?

Is it just because we really really really don't want to be /a/ or something? I mean, that's retarded, but at least it kind of makes sense.

(I probably sound more angry about this than I actually am, because my usual word choice always makes me sound pissed off. Honestly I'm just really confused. It's late, though, and I don't feel like rewriting this, so until tomorrow at least, :dealwithit:)

e: Actually, the more I think about it, we just seem to have this weird undercurrent of self-loathing for liking anime, like we're not allowed to like stuff that other anime fans like, and if we do it's clearly because they like it for the wrong reasons whereas we are the Intellectual Master Race. Why are we so ashamed of liking what we like? :wtc:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Squidster posted:

Because most mainstream media with sexual content involve adults of consenting age, hth

And yet the Game of Thrones thread stays open.

e: A major plot point in GoT, from early on in the story, is that a young girl gets kidnapped by a barbarian lord and brutally raped until she turns into a badass Chosen One. I'm not super familiar with it so I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure she's still like 14 in the show (even if the actress is over 18, which is really really beside the point).

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 28, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

I also dislike the fanservice in Game of Thrones. I won't stop watching a show because of fanservice though.

And fanservice is an important point of discussion, because there are so many anime shows that rely solely on fanservice and nothing else. That's why shows without it are 1) special and 2) commendable, because they don't rely on a cheap crutch.

Your mindset isn't really the one I'm talking about. I'm talking about stuff like the Kill la Kill thread being total garbage for a good while because the show had the nerve to have underboob in it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Jesus, I really should not have started that derail. Mea culpa. :stare:

Zorak posted:

Its the anime season thread, not the WickedIcon reminds us why he's been probated and banned four dozen times for being a colossal weirdo thread, that's why.

Is there any way I can talk to you in private without buying PMs?

holy poo poo it HAS been four dozen times, jesus christ I have been on here for too long

e: v Did not even notice, thanks.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 29, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Grim Up North posted:

JoJo: Highly problematic and misogenistic on the outside, plain fun and with a heart of gold on the inside.

Don't do this

e: Also jesus, from looking it up it sounds like kinda forgetting to keep up with KLK after roughly episode 10 was a good choice. :stare:

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Apr 30, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Going back to this season, I think I'm going to drop Captain Earth. I just don't have the patience for that type of show anymore I guess, it just feels more dumb than usual. Like why do they insist on having such inane technobabble? It makes it feel like something the characters from Chuunibyo would write.

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet, but from what I know of the show, isn't that :thejoke:?

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
The weirdest part is, some of the changes actually make total sense. Translating the names of his gadgets, for example, isn't a weird 4kids-like edit, it's just good localization. And I mean, they're just Anglicizing the original names instead of making up completely new ones (even if it did result in "Noby" and "Big G").

And then loving pancakes and first-aid pizza.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Pretty much the only thing I can think of that I've gone out of my way to watch dubbed recently was FMA: Brotherhood, and that's largely because I saw a few episodes of the 2003 show on Adult Swim as a kid and it's really hard for me to separate the characters from their dub voices. Same reason why I can't watch DBZ or G Gundam subbed, really.

e: That said, I'm surprised KLK is getting a dub so fast. It's a pretty good show, but it's also niche as gently caress, and I'd be surprised if it even sells very well; I'm pretty sure if they tried to get it on Toonami, Williams Street's response would just be a flat "gently caress no."

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 15, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This has already been their response when asked about the possibility.

Yeah pretty much what I thought. I have a nasty feeling that whoever's dubbing Kill la Kill is gonna take a major bath on it.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I really don't think that's gonna go over as well as they think it will. :cripes:

ninja-edit to clarify: Obviously the uncut version is a good thing, but given that nostalgia is 99% of why Sailor Moon is a thing again, I'm pretty sure the new dub and the new voice cast aren't gonna leave people very happy.

I realize I'm armchair CEOing here, but if they couldn't find the old voice actors or most of them weren't willing to come back, they should really just release the uncut versions sub-only and release the lovely old DiC dub as a special thing like Funimation did with the Rock the Dragon DBZ box set. It's a loving long series (and thus probably pretty drat expensive to redub) and the bulk of the people who care are gonna be the ones who get mad about it, it's like they're just asking to lose a shitload of money on this.

actual-edit: Also the way they're releasing it on streaming is batshit retarded

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 17, 2014

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

The Black Stones posted:

I don't know what's absolutely batshit retarded about the way they're releasing it. Want to clarify on that?

Releasing it 2 episodes at a time? :psyduck: For a new show, or even one that wasn't 75% filler and 200 episodes long, I could understand that, but this show is ancient, I'm assuming they're gonna be putting it up sub-only since they'll be outpacing the DVD/BD releases, and there's going to be spans of several weeks at a time where they're not really putting anything worthwhile up.

I dunno, maybe I'm just spoiled by stuff like Toei just unceremoniously putting all of Hokuto no Ken up on streaming and Bandai streaming pretty much everything Gundam-related (even if they rotate what series are currently streaming), but this seems like a really oddball way to handle it at best and a straight-up terrible decision at worst.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

Huh, presumably this'll be the first time the un-cut version has officially been released here. I don't think we ever got it on DVD anyway, the only release it ever saw was good old Mangle Entertainment VHS.

I mean, you're not actually missing anything with the cut version, literally the only thing that got taken out was a 30-second attempted rape scene.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
How the gently caress is JoJo at the bottom of both of those lists? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
JoJo is basically the only thing worth watching this season, :dealwithit: nerds

(also Knights of Sidonia but if you don't live in Japan you're using :filez: to watch it and that's not cool)

• Locked thread