Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Bolivar posted:

Terrorism kind of requires a reason and that reason to be communicated to the people.

Unless this was some sort of test for a more ambitious attack later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

The Casualty posted:

There are redundancies in virtually every avionic, hydraulic, and electromechanical system on a modern airliner. In event of main generator loss, large aircraft such as these are typically equipped with ram-air turbines which can be extended into the airstream and provide juice for the critical systems. However, auxiliary power won't matter if your aircraft has the tail fall off, or a primary fuel tank explode. Catastrophic failure of the severity we are likely seeing here leave no time for the crew to attempt to save the aircraft.

Stupid question, but how do you deploy the turbines if the power fails? Do they have a hand crank or something?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
I just watched the press conference with a spokesman from Malaysia. 20 minutes that boiled down to "We don't have a clue, your guess is as good as ours."

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

AKA Pseudonym posted:

If plane crashes can be seen as a random sampling then it must be pretty rare because I don't think I've ever heard of this happening before.

Seth McFarlane missed his flight, which later ended up bringing down the South Tower.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Overwined posted:

At this point is there anything believable about what the Malaysian military might say?

I was actually surprised to learn they have an actual air force. I'd like to see what they have.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

redshirt posted:

I hope there's some Vietnamese or something living on that huge garbage island.

They could collect rainwater, fish, grow some plants in plastic gardens. Plenty of material for building some huts and skiffs.

Sounds pretty sweet, actually.

Sounds sort of like the plot from this film.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

rocket_man38 posted:

See: the horrible episode entitled "the 37s" from Star Trek Voyager.

Over the course of the summer Mrs. Genesplicer and I spend a lot of time in our art studio. We have a DVD player out there, and we play lots of movie and TV series while arting. One thing we watch is the entirety of Star Trek, from TOS to DS9. "The 37's" is one of the few episodes that we actually skip.

Also, the plane is still missing.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

James Polk posted:

I often wonder that. If you're in the back of the plane there'd be like 1 whole second where you see the front of the plane collapsing toward you obliterating everyone, followed by the force of your body getting crushed extremely quickly, and then nothing.

However, in this case, it seems possible that the passengers knew there was something wrong for several hours, that there was a good chance they were going to die at any moment, and there was nothing they could do about it. If I were in that position, it would probably ruin the last little bit of my life.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

mstrkrft posted:

Guys, it's gone.

No. it is somewhere. we just don't have the faintest clue where.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

mstrkrft posted:

But really though how is this still considered "breaking news" on CNN? It's gone.

They lost their "Developing Story" and "Update!" tiles, so they have to use "Breaking News" for everything.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Angela Christine posted:

They left The Land of the Free, so I doubt they were real americans.

But they were business people out figuring ways of exploiting brown people and their resources, so they were real Americans.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
Latest conspiracy theory:

China placed the pingers that have been detected. Just pingers, painted grey and placed in fake rocks. They will never be found, but will delay the search even longer while the ships look for wreckage that is not there. All the time the Chinese have access to the actual plane and passengers, which landed under their control at an undisclosed location. The passengers are now making iPhones at Foxconn.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Lobok posted:

I wonder who's going to find it first: Aquaman or Superman.

In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming. With a Boeing 777.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
The plane will not be found for a very long time. It will eventually be found, decades from now, when some group is looking for something totally unrelated to this crash, and comes across the wreck, simply by chance. It will be a big news story for a day or two, some artifacts will be recovered to prove it is the flight, but by that time the bodies will be gone, and there will be nothing left that could prove what really happened. Event the Black boxes will be useless after so long in the brine. It will become a minor source of curiosity for a short time, then will be swept away by the latest scandal, terrorist attack or pandemic.

Or they will find it, and everybody will be zombies, still thrashing, but strapped in their seats amidst the wreckage.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
This will be one of those mysteries that gets answered about 100 years from now when some oceanographic team is mapping the ocean floor for some other reason and stumbles upon the wreckage. Either that, or the memo from some janitor at Groom Lake will surface and let slip that it has been stored there for decades.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam
So, in the future, is this going to end up creating a legend of the "Malaysia Triangle"? Will people start looking for other "Mysterious Disappearances" that have occurred in the past to bolster their claims that this is a cursed stretch of ocean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

Total Clam

Chinatown posted:

Still gone guys.

I gave it another hour. Any progress?

• Locked thread