Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The simplest way I've found to wrap one's head around the peculiar politics found in the Pacific Northwest is;

This is the far edge of Western Civilization.

Any further west, and it stops being Western. When people want to get away from the current community or culture they find themselves in, the Pacific Northwest is where they eventually end up. Hippies, anti-vacation, vegans, anarchists, survivalists, hipsters, and pretty much a ton of people who didn't like the way things were where they came from and are more or less happy to be left alone to do what ever they want here.

Seriously, the whole cliche of Californians or whoever moving here is because half the people you might bump into in Oregon and Washington weren't born here. They all move here because in the minds of many Americans, the Pacific Northwest is still a sort of a Terra Nullius. A place where they can go and get a cabin in the woods and live off the grid. Be the most pretentious hipster without getting called out. Practice a wacky religion without being run out of town. It's weird, but militant vegans and paranoid gun nuts move here for pretty much the same reason.

illrepute posted:

e: The difference is geographical, also! Washington and Oregon have insanely cool different biomes.

This attracts quite a diverse group too. Oregon ranges from temperate rainforest near the coast to a salt flat in the Alvord Desert. And in between are fertile valleys, a volcanic mountain range, and rolling grass lands. All that to chose from, and without hurricanes or blizzards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Eh Portlandia basically just makes fun of the hippies/lefter leaning weirdos and ignores that even in Portland itself there is an entire other realm of reactionary wackos that are as or more extreme. I guess the hippies and the hipsters are inoffensive compared to a literal skinheads.

The best is when the two sides mix.

Well, most of those on the other end of the spectrum from Portlandia's hippies and hipsters have moved across the river to Vancouver. It's basically a refugee camp for bitter Republicans who want to live in a state with no income tax and be within driving distance of a state with no sales tax. They also complained about the light rail on the Columbia River Crossing because it would bring blacks crime.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

It isn't just Clark or Clackamas county, eastern Portland is also quite a different mixed bag.

Mixed bag for sure. Eastern Portland on out to Gresham has become a sort of dumping ground for all those pushed out by gentrification, and the general rise in home prices.

quote:

It isn't like Tigard or Beaverton are really that liberal either.

Some of the suburbs outside of Portland get a bad rap. While they may not be "liberal" in the left wing politics sense, they can often be more diverse and many are home to thriving minority communities. While Korean Christians, Indian business owners, and Mexican laborers might not be liberal by Portland hippy standards, they sure aren't conservative by CPAC standards.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ardennes posted:

There are immigrant communities in Beaverton and in Washington County in general, but it is in general pretty white bread as a whole including aggressive police, lots of nimbyism and plenty of big boxes. Overall, if you want to see something interesting you go to Portland, if you want to see a cop in a Dodge Chargers make loops around a Best Buy, you go to Beaverton.

The politics are a real mixed bag too, there is a real recent surge against public transit and while Washington County is very modestly Democrat, it is by thin margin. The western extensions of Beaverton are pretty grim too, they way overbuilt a bunch of really cheap looking housing and there is very little open space or public services to speak of.

Washington County gets deserves a lot of the reputation it gets, there are some good restaurants here and there but eh, give me those hippies at least they can brew some beer.

I lived in Los Angeles for a year. I work with plenty of recent immigrants from other states. It is really easy to get used to the local skew of the political spectrum to the point that one forgets just how conservative the rest of the country can be.

Oregon passed a same sex marriage ban by 57%. Utah passed their's with 66%, and Texas with a bit over 76%. Also, Oregon and Washington are some of the least religious states in the country. So while the conservatives here might bitch about mass transit, at least they aren't trying to ban abortion or contraceptives, or teach Creationism in public schools.

I find it both awesome and hilarious that people around here can still sort of beat themselves up for not being liberal enough, given that the conservatives here are pretty much just people that complain about taxes. I guess that is part of them being a mixed bag too. The hate for taxes is about all they can agree enough on to get enough votes to pass anything.

But overall, I'll take Beaverton cops over any southern California suburb. And I work with people who are in no hurry to move back to California, New Jersey, Louisiana, or Georgia.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

The-Mole posted:

If you want a lot of white supremacists, you want like Medford or Roseburg or the Washington/Idaho border.

To put it into perspective, Medford and Roseburg are a 100 miles from anything.

Nut jobs trying to set up shop in way out in the middle of nowhere aren't limited to white racists either.

And Indian guru and his follower attempted to create a a town, and when the locals started complaining they tried to just take over the local government, going so far as to spread salmonella in near by restaurants.

More recently was an alleged terrorist training camp with ties to al-Qaeda.

Beat around the brush here, and you can find wackos of all stripes.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

OwlBot 2000 posted:

There was a pro-Rajneeshi poster around here just a few months ago. I'm not even joking.

The compound they built was eventually bought by a Christian group and turned into a summer camp. My sister worked there for awhile and I got to stay the night and get a tour of the place during the off season. The reason there was on off season tour was actually to show the place off to the locals. The people out there are so paranoid that they are suspicious of even an overtly Christian summer camp.

And the place is seriously in the middle of nowhere. It has an airstrip, which isn't all that unusual for ranches out there. The cult upgraded it to handle small cargo planes, and the camp still maintains it because it is the only way to get people out for medical attention in a timely manner. It is hours of driving to get to a decent hospital.

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 13, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

Having never even heard of the story before, I have to say that it's kind of noteworthy that the journalist is hooraying when state lawmakers came out in droves to oppose an Indian mystic starting up a commune in rural Oregon, but doesn't blink an eye at the Protestant youth camp that replaced it.

If the Christian camp operated like the Rajneeshis did, they would probably get the attention of the state lawmakers too.

One of the things they did, in order to take over the local government by more legal means was to pick up homeless people from all over the US, bring them to Oregon, and registered them to vote. As soon as they had enough votes to start forming a legit city they gave these people the boot, dumping a few thousand people on Oregon's already notorious homeless problem.

And even with all that, the state more or less let them be until it blew up into major issues of tax dodging, immigration fraud, and what has been called the first biological weapon attack in the US. All in all, Oregon was far more tolerant of them then they should have been in hindsight.

Also, when you see the local media referencing "land use" as a hot topic around this, what they are getting at is water, which is a huge issue east of the Cascades. It is a big part of why the 2 halves of Oregon and Washington can be so different in terms of politics. One side sees politics as managing water, farms and range land. The other side is busy with urban sprawl, big business and international trade.

Kaal posted:

Mmm I'd have to disagree here. Oregon has had its race issues, but they are largely overblown in popular imagination.
While Oregon has had a checkered racial history and it has a ways to go in terms of broadening its racial diversity, particularly outside the Willamette Valley corridor, the image of it as this silently racist state of whites is essentially a fiction.

Yah, this is one of those points where Oregon can be ridiculously liberal. It doesn't have a past that is really any more racist than any other part of the US. And there are states that were far more ruthless in their racism. But there is a hell of a lot of hand wringing here over what racism there has been. Meanwhile, you have places like modern day Arizona going out of there way to round up Hispanics, and New York City deliberately targeting minorities for stop-and-frisk.

The fact that people around here can be critical about not being diverse enough is bona fides for being more liberal than average.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

...and it is utterly convenient that those arguments were uniformly dropped when the good Christians at Young Life moved in and set up a commune of their own.

But Younglife isn't running a commune. It's a summer camp.

And I'll preface what I'm about to say with this. I'm not a Christian. I was traveling back from visiting relatives in Tri-Cities when I got the opportunity to visit the Big Muddy Ranch, and Christian camp or not, I wasn't going to pass up the chance to check out a such a controversial place. They were running tours for the locals because the locals are still suspicious and wanted to see the place for themselves.

Like I said, I visited in the off-season (October), and all they had was a small maintenance staff. They don't run a city of 7000 people year round. The current owners also do everything to follow local laws, and had to sink a lot of money into bringing everything they could up to code. When I visited the place, the shopping center the Rajneeshees built was closed off because the current owners hadn't spent the money to have licensed electricians and plumbers go over the whole thing to make it legal to use.

The Rajneeshees on the other hand tried to take over the local government to change the laws to suit them. They didn't get any permits to start building apartments and roads and waste water treatment. And when challenged about it, they tried to dodge it by declaring themselves to be their own city. Oregon gave a lot of leeway to an organization that was pretty blatant in thumbing its nose at both the letter and spirit of the law. If they had kept to themselves while following the law, they would have been left alone, like so many other wacky communes spread around Oregon that never make the news. There is a full time nudist colony in rural Washington county, but most people don't know that because they otherwise abide by the laws and don't bug the neighbors. There is a Buddhist monastery in rural Columbia county, but no one is trying to drive them out because they keep to themselves without flouting local laws.

It really is not as simple as picking on Indian mystics while ignoring Protestant Christians. Not only are the Christians not running a full on city, but they aren't trying to drive locals out of government to run the county as they please.

It also helps that the Christian summer camp isn't running it's own police force.

http://photos.oregonlive.com/photo-essay/2011/04/rajneesh_-_life_on_the_ranch.html#photo-9480192

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

xrunner posted:

Im curious about the current controversy between the local hip-hop scene and the police. Clearly, a hip-hop scene isn't automatically black, but a lot of stereotyping and negativity towards such a scene will be based on anti-black prejudices. I'm not into hip-hop so I don't know much beyond the basics that there has been a lot of concern that the city has been targeting shows and the like. Last weekend a club was shut down for being overcapacity which I've never heard of happening in the fiveish years I've lived here. Also, a few months ago a local artist moved to NYC and said he refused to perform in portland ever again because of police targeting. If anyone more familiar with this issue could weigh in on it, I'd be pretty appreciative.

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2014/03/illmaculate_leaves_blue_monk_w.html

I heard about that. Not into the local hip-hop scene myself, but I have a friend who is. And he's told me that, being Portland, most of the people that attend hip-hop shows here are white. The owners/operators of that particular venue are white. The reports of police talking about people there with "known gang ties" does smack or racism. But police sitting outside, or going into venues, is not all that unusual. I've had friends in the past who were into the local punk scene who bitched about cops showing up and tossing around accusations of ties to skinhead groups.

The guy who made a big show of leaving for NYC left me scratching my head. I could understand going there to further his career, being a much bigger city with a major music industry. But trying to avoid racist cops? NYC basically said they target minorities because "they commit more crimes", even though their own reports show that over 80% of the people they stop-and-frisk are totally innocent. Portland cops might be racist, but at least the department isn't all "we officially target minorities, deal with it".

I just chalk it up as another case of people here being both awesome and hilarious in their extreme sensitivity to issues. I'm glad people are making a stink out of it because it is a problem that needs to be discussed. I'm also laughing at the guy giving a big "gently caress you" while moving to a place with far more notoriously racist cops.

statim posted:

Pretty much this. For example for 3x days I stayed at the Wolf Creek Radical Faerie Sanctuary, which is a neo-pagan queer mecca and exactly as weird as that implies. This place is way down in southern very rural Oregon, 40 minutes to any town with a big box store and 3+hours from Portland. At one point I decided to walk into the little town of Wolf Creek approx 6 miles away and a car just stopped next to me and two local dudes offered me a ride into town. They were completely chill but when they found out where I was staying the only problem was them being almost overly accepting, like in a "oh that's so awesome for you!!" well meant but sort of condescending too.

Side note: That place is just something else, very cool and also hilariously bizarre.

It comes with the territory of living in a place where half the people you bump into are recent transplants that came here specifically to live the lifestyle of their dreams. It can be hard not to sound condescending when you've heard it all. Especially when so many people reach the same conclusion of "move to Oregon" from so many different starting points. "Oh, you moved here because it's a Mecca for...", right-wing survivalists, off-the-grid organic farms, deep-fried/vegan/fusion cuisine, high-tech, artisan, Christian yoga.

glowing-fish posted:

So does anyone have any thoughts about marijuana legalization in Oregon? I imagine that it is going to follow suit in legalization. Washington and Oregon have very similar electorates, and the consensus about why legalization failed in Oregon in 2012 was that the bill was badly written and promoted. If Oregon has the same type of campaign as Washington did in 2012, it seems to be probable it would pass.

A lot of serious pot heads voted 'No' on the recent bill because they were happier living with the current lax enforcement rather then some un-elected marijuana board and state controlled distribution. Keep in mind, current laws put possession of under an ounce as a violation, which is on par with parking tickets and typically only enforced as something the cops slap you with if you are already causing trouble. And the medical marijuana laws here don't allow for dispensaries, so much of the legal and illegal marijuana sales go through the same informal market.

Given the revenue Colorado is already bringing in, and what Washington is projected to bring in, I also expect Oregon to go full legalization soon, over the wishes of the hippies who would rather deal in the current gray market than pay taxes for pot from a liquor store.

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 14, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Rusty posted:

Portland is really white, and maybe it's just that sometimes the only exposure people have to the black community is through news reports of gang shootings and the like, and possibly most of the police interaction withy the black community is the same. Anyway, just my observations, so it may not be much different from cities with higher minority populations, but it seems like it.

From my experience living in LA for a bit, and conversation with people from elsewhere, the attention given to this sort of stuff is bigger here than other places.

In many other cities, a minority getting shot by the cops is not news. The media won't cover it unless there is something sensational about it, and being unarmed isn't sensational. Hip-hop concerts being raided is not news worthy, and not worth an investigation.

Again, I think this sort of hyper-sensitivity (relative to the rest of the US) is awesome. Small minority groups getting attention for these kinds of abuse is a good thing. I'm glad stuff like that raises eyebrows here, because I've seen places where much larger minority groups get abuses heaped on them and not only is nothing reported about it, but people generally treat it as a "good start" rather than a problem.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Ernie Muppari posted:

I wish some people would stop being such jerks about Cascadian culture.

Sounds like an excuse to protest.

The usual 'Waterfront Park to Pioneer Courthouse Square' route, or should we try blocking up a bridge with bicycles?

Not tomorrow though. Sounds like this Saturday is already booked by The White Man March and an Anti-Fascist counter protest. :munch:

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Here To Help posted:

They didn't regularly treat their drinking water, apparently to no ill effect (!) for decades (!!!) and had only recently begun to do so.

You can get away with this on fast moving mountain streams, but I wouldn't recommend it. Those little filter pumps are worth the piece of mind, because abdominal cramps and diarrhea are the worst when you are backpacking.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
Vancouver Washington is also where a lot of Portland conservative flee to. That way, they can have the job opportunities of a big-ish city, no income tax as a Washington resident and hop across the river to buy stuff without sales taxes in Oregon. Also a lot of failed business owners who go there for more favorable capital gains taxes when they liquidate. They also had a huge problem with people in SW Washington registering their cars in Oregon because it was much cheaper for a while. Washington ended up lowering their registration fees. Portland's right wing radio celebrity, Lars Larson, moved to Vancouver after trying to avoid property taxes in Portland by living on a houseboat.

In general, it is a hub for the gently caress-you-got-mine types. And not surprisingly, they vote for gently caress-you-got-mine policies and politicians.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

etalian posted:

Sort of the Spock beard equivalent contrasting town similar to Colorado Springs vs Denver.

This sort of things can be found all over the US. Be it conservative/liberal, rich/poor, white/minority.

Here it can be a bit more contentious because the two are in different states, so they can't just have disputes settles by a single state's courts or legislature.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

LGD posted:

It's not that bad for people who actually live in Portland.

Yup. The daily traffic jam from the north end of the 405 to the Interstate Bridge isn't something that really bothers people who live in Portland. Unless Vancouver wants to help fund a much bigger bridge, one with light rail that they'll use, or pay some tolls, they can spend an hour a day sitting in traffic.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Xylorjax posted:

They can already take 205.

If you're just interested in moving stuff between Seattle, Portland, and on south, 205 is already the better option, because it bypasses Vancouver and the more congested areas of Portland completely.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

highme posted:

I had a long reply about how 205 isn't really less congested then 5, and is also 10 miles longer, but the new Something app doesn't seem to save replies.

Anyway, the gist was, a lot of the FYGMers live east of I-205, which causes issues. And as somebody who drives too loving much, traffic here isn't really that bad.

It was in the context of trucking companies moving stuff up and down the I-5 corridor. And the FYGM sort of plays into that because shipping companies have been picking up cheap properties out that way. FedEx Ground recently built a new hub to serve the Portland area, and built it out in Troutdale.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Kaal posted:

All that money, including the money that will spent shifting us over to the federal system, comes from a federal grant.

It's about time we got to waste some federal funds.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

Maybe it only seems that way, due to latitude? We do get pretty much the same weather.

Being more inland probably makes the drier days seem drier. I'd bet Seattle is more prone to fog than Portland

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

If nothing else, it would be beneficial to visit during winter before you make the decision to move to Oregon or Washington. The weather during those months isn't quite constant rain, so much as it is gloomy and gray, and it would be best if you knew ahead of time whether you could stand it being like that for half the year.

This is good advice.

People who grew up in the PNW take the clouds and wet for granted. But I've met many people who have moved here from sunny states that just couldn't get use to the weather here. It is almost like it causes a kind of claustrophobia.

Also, while the rain isn't constant, the clouds and cool temperature means that things will stay wet all day long.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Gerund posted:

The weather is quite nice for light-sensitive eyes. Hardly anyone wears sunglasses other than on sunny days, and I see more tuques with sport decals than ballcaps.

I wear a ballcap more to keep the rain of my glasses than to keep the sun out of my eyes.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
And if you go in September, you mind find a treat popping up out of the moss.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno, some people are just like that. I used to know a woman who told me that if only the pay were better, she'd be content to work as a dishwasher.

The stress of trying to live on so little pay is what often makes these sorts of jobs unbearable rather than merely boring.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

What im getting at is that read regs doesnt seem to be working out for potential sellers thus far.

This is pretty much just a universal problem with small businesses. There pretty much are no requirements for starting your own business beyond paying some fees.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The whole region has an interesting history

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Reason posted:

Whats the easiest way to get married with as little officials involved as possible in WA state?

From what Computer Parts posted, it looks pretty similar to Oregon.

My marriage involved finding a "minster" who specialized in doing weddings at his vineyard. He was willing to just do a quick "ceremony" on his lunch break on a weekday, and our parents were the witnesses for the paperwork. Not much muss or fuss. I just asked for him to sign the paperwork, but he felt like washing up, putting on a tie, and giving a fairly quick exchange of vows. We weren't religious and didn't want to inflict a boring ceremony on our friends, or cough up the cash to rent a church.

So if it is all about just getting officially married as quick and easy as possible, file for a marriage license and start calling around for people who advertise that they do marriages, and more than likely you'll find someone willing to do a small and short notice ceremony (after the mandatory 3 day wait).

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

In Washington, you can actually just get one of your buddies (or parents, for that matter) to get ordained as a minister online. It's free.

Just make sure they get the paperwork right.

Last I checked, you can do that in Oregon, but they have to file with the county so they have a record of them being a minster, and that is probably more of a pain than just finding one of the many people who are in the minister-for-hire business. You can find them in the Yellow Pages and the like under "Wedding Ministers".

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

seiferguy posted:

My brother and his wife got married by a judge (a friend of my dad) with just the parents in attendance as witnesses. You can always go to court for marriage for something quick and easy.

Depends. The reason I ended up finding a for hire wedding minister is because the county clerk told me that local judges were booked solid for the next month and a half, and I would have to come in everyday and wait outside the court room in the hope that something would finish up early and the judge didn't use the opportunity to just go home early.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

xrunner posted:

That said, I work out in McMinnville and it's night and day different than Portland. Like others said, Beaverton is just a generic American suburb, but once you get a bit into the willamette valley the character changes.

Ah yes, McMinnville. Home to the second largest UFO celebration in the country.

xrunner posted:

I mean, there are interesting differences between the south and out here, but for the most part people are still culturally the same as other parts of the country. Although, maybe if I ran with the 22 year old crowd my perspective would be different. Or maybe I'm just indoctrinated.

The US does have a sort of wide ranging "middle class white" culture that can be found everywhere. You can chat with white collar office drones about that same TV shows at a chain restaurant in New York, Georgia, Minnesota or California. And if you just insulate yourself to that relatively narrow demographic, it is pretty easy to fool yourself into thinking that this is the culture of everyone in the US outside of tiny ethnic enclaves. But really, that culture has no roots beyond the 1950's.

I'm not saying it isn't real. Just that it appears more ubiquitous than it really is. It is wealthy and mobile enough that it presents itself nearly everywhere, but is often surrounded by local cultures that sees much of mainstream white middle class culture as alien, other, or just out of their reach.

One of the things that makes Portland so interesting is that it is a very white city with a sizable population of people who are very vocal about eschewing this sort of mainstream middle class white culture. It is easy to just ignore rural, working class, ethnic and religious communities and their cultures. You can just fly over them or avoid their part of town. But Portland sort of forces yuppies out of their comfort zone with a bunch of seemingly well-to-do white people who are proud about not owning a TV, or drinking Coors Light, or eating at McDonalds, or shopping at big-box stores. And then they make a TV show about those zanny people from Portland.

Something that just occurred to me;

Would a show like Portlandia work if it wasn't based on otherwise generically White Americans? If instead it was based on a city with a strong Black, Hispanic, Asian or Jewish culture? Like, you could easily take many of those skits and make them horribly racist stereotypes by replacing the eccentric shop keepers with Koreans or Jews, or the the peculiar tastes in food and art with those of Hispanics or African-Americans.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

800peepee51doodoo posted:

The problem is that all of that infill is being built for rich, middle-class white people and doesn't seem to be doing anything to alleviate spiraling housing costs

If you want cheap rent, you end up heading out to Hillsboro or Gresham. And so long as Portland is a trendy place to live in, this will not change outside outside of efforts by the city government to set housing aside specifically for low income people.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

xrunner posted:

Yeah. I-5 through Portland is a mess. The fact that there are no southbound ramps between downtown and 99? The fact that the curves back up traffic even more than a three lane interstate already would? The fact that the I-5 and I-405 merger on the bridge is nonsensical? What about the 84 and 5 merger on the east side? Hope you like two lanes (one of which is an exit only lane). Portland's highways are awful but, at the same time, they don't have any room to expand. It's not just issues with eminent domain. How is it geographically possible to add a lane through the curves? Or getting onto 5 north from 84? We're stuck with the highways we have. Relieving local demand seems like the best response.

There is also a lot of research that shows that adding lanes only solves congestion to a point. Eventually people see that traffic isn't an issue and they drive more, filling the new lanes up with more cars until the congestion returns.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

xrunner posted:

Yes. I've seen this research too. I guess I really just think that instead of trying to solve our (unsolvable) highway problem, we need to just figure out how to make the highways undesirable for local traffic.

Local traffic on the freeways during rush hour isn't the issue. In the evening, half the cars stuck on I-5 NB north of the 405 have Washington plates.

On the south bound, if it is backed up in the curves, it is often backed up into Tigard, Tualatin, and sometimes all the way to Willsonville.

On the 405, all the back up is people trying to get onto 26 to get out to Beaverton and Hillsboro.

But I guess that all gets back to the housing situation in Portland. But I don't think they can really solve that, because these commuters likely won't settle for less than a detached home with a generous yard for as little money as possible.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

MAX lines to Vancouver, Tigard/Tualatin, and Hillsboro via 26 would help a great deal with this, but... well, you know.

There is already a MAX line out to the far end of Hillsboro. There is now the WES, a diesel train, that runs from the MAX line in Beaverton all the way to Willsonville. I'm not sure on how much any of those are utilized.

And we can't run light rail to Vancouver because of fleet footed negroes ARE TAXES.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

anthonypants posted:

I've never heard of Dick's apart from the one that's already here, but people will not shut up about In-n-Out.

An In-n-Out would make mad cash in Portland, but only because of the novelty.

I lived in LA for a year, and In-n-Out is pretty good. Definitely better than McDonalds or Burger King. But everything is relative, and the LA area is loaded with awesome mom n pop burger joints. Part of the reason they have a "secret menu" is just to keep up with all the oddball things people expect by being surrounded by thousands of little burger joints that offer all sorts of oddball things.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009
The craziest tourist/shopper thing I've seen from Canadians are chartered buses pulling into the Fry's in Wilsonville, and watching them cramming TVs and laptops into the baggage compartments.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That does sound odd. Speaking of that Fry's, I've often wondered why it seems to be the only one in the state. It seems like Eugene could support one quite readily, but there really isn't anything left down here but Best Buy and the various OfficeDepotMax stores. I buy most of my tech mail-order, anyway, but having a Fry's would be nice as an option.

For the average person, Best Buy has everything they could want from a Fry's. And as you mention, it is so easy to get things through the mail.

The only reason I get anything at Fry's is because of their very liberal return policy. So if it is something that is likely to be dead-on-arrival or not work as expected, or a pain to ship back (like a 42" TV), Fry's is great.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Probably soul food.

Po'Shines up in North Portland.

The wings they serve with their chicken and waffles are bigger than most places chicken legs. And they got mac n cheese, hushpuppies, catfish fried or blackened.

edit;

Ardennes posted:

As for politics, I don't think anything recently has come up. It looks like MJ is going to be legalized I guess?

Plans to build a coal terminal, bringing it in by train from Wyoming to be shipped to Asia, have been shut down.

http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/index.ssf/2014/08/oregon_department_of_state_lan_1.html

And shootings and gang problems seem to be on the rise in Portland.

http://www.opb.org/news/article/portland-meeting-to-battle-gun-violence/

Beowulfs_Ghost fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 19, 2014

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

Error 404 posted:

TBH this happens in Oregon too, it's just so far down the list of "reasons everybody loses their goddamn minds at the sight of snow." that it doesn't get brought up as often.

Yah, driving in the snow isn't hard. Driving on a sheet of lumpy ice with a dusting of snow on it is what leads to everyone crashing into everything.

Part of it is that the temperature swings in and out of freezing through the day. We just don't get those weeks of steady below freezing temperatures like the inland states. So the snow will melt and refreeze, and the slush on the roads tuns to solid ice.

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

I'm kind of curious, why did they completely disband instead of just getting a new leader? Is shut so hosed up and lawsuit prone that the best option is to just shut it all down?

The article on it made it sound like it was partly a money issue. Mars Hill, as an organization, has to liquidate to pay bills and wages.

It also sounded like is was party because many of the sermons were broadcast from one location to all the other churches. Without Driscoll being broadcasted to projectors in 15 churches all at once, those other churches are going to have to get their own pastors and do their own sermons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beowulfs_Ghost
Nov 6, 2009

effectual posted:

Apple pickers? A bunch of them got scared off a year or 2 ago (and the farmers sure as poo poo aren't raising wages) so fruit was rotting off the trees.

I remember that. It was bad enough that the state government was offering prisoners to make sure the apples were harvested.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/133205973.html

• Locked thread