Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

The-Mole posted:

If you want a lot of white supremacists, you want like Medford or Roseburg or the Washington/Idaho border. I dunno as much about Washington, but Oregon was a seriously racist place despite its geographical location. The KKK was huge here, a hundred years ago and the bigotry runs pretty deep in certain areas. Unfortunately, there is still some pretty loving deep bigotry left here. Hell, the racist language in the state constitution was only removed 5 or 10 years ago, iirc.

Don't forget the laws we had explicitly forbidding black people from settling in the state for decades (and then the laws that just made it stupid hard which we had for even more decades). :eng99:

The-Mole posted:

Even here in groovy, liberal Eugene, when an African-American woman ran for city council (a decade ago or so), she got so many death threats that she dropped out of the race. Sometimes I wish people here would stop worrying about vaccinations and CIA-mind-control black helicopters and deal with some of the real world problems.

I grew up in Eugene, and that shouldn't surprise me; pretty much the instant you leave the UO or LCC campuses you stop seeing non-white (and non-40+ yo) people entirely, but gently caress.

Ardennes posted:

Recently, Portland has started a pilot program where they first start charging people for minor crimes (loitering, littering), issue a summons for them and when they fail to show up, issue arrest warrants for them. So basically the grant strategy of Portland political and business elite is to more or less just fill the jails with people for even the most minor crimes. In addition, There is also a 3 month waiting period for shelters because there simply aren't enough for them even for families on the street. We'll see how this grand plan does into action.

For loving serious? What, are they just going to arrest half of everyone who goes downtown?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Well not the paying customers obviously (they will just ticket people who look homeless). It is a way to get around to the now dead "sit-lie" law that was declared unconstitutional, which theoretically would allow police to roust anyone who "sits or lies" on the sidewalk. Ever since it was struck down, downtown businesses have been trying to find a way to get around it and the new pilot program is the latest example. On big thing is that the business community absolutely hates kids who arrive during the summer downtown and wants them gone with no exceptions.

"Portlandia" is not as liberal as advertised.

Oh obviously, you don't want all that riff-raff getting in the way of the important strip club related business people do there.

Ardennes posted:

As far as Eugene, I get a kick out of the "no bus expansion" signs. To be honest, Eugene seems kind of a empty town even for its relative smallish size. There just doesn't seem to be a lot going on there period especially for a college town, some strip malls, housing and maybe a handful of bars.

Woah woah woah, I haven't really paid attention to Eugenian politics since I moved away, please tell me more about how the hill-people are upset that there might be more busses. :D

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

sullat posted:

Wasn't 2013 the first year in quite some time that the PPD managed to make it through without killing some unarmed minority? Maybe things are changing, but they do a pretty good job of quashing any oversight or review of their actions.

I can't say for certain whether they managed to not kill any "unarmed" and/or non-white people, but I remember that they totally killed two mentally ill-people who only really seemed to be dangerous to themselves last year so...pretty much business as usual here.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

From my experience living in LA for a bit, and conversation with people from elsewhere, the attention given to this sort of stuff is bigger here than other places.

In many other cities, a minority getting shot by the cops is not news. The media won't cover it unless there is something sensational about it, and being unarmed isn't sensational. Hip-hop concerts being raided is not news worthy, and not worth an investigation.

Again, I think this sort of hyper-sensitivity (relative to the rest of the US) is awesome. Small minority groups getting attention for these kinds of abuse is a good thing. I'm glad stuff like that raises eyebrows here, because I've seen places where much larger minority groups get abuses heaped on them and not only is nothing reported about it, but people generally treat it as a "good start" rather than a problem.

Which is kind of the thing to keep in mind, while a lot of us lefty-loons in the PNW might get a bit hyperbolic about how pervasive bigotry is here, we get hyperbolic in part because it would be really easy to just ignore the actual problems that exist here.

The-Mole posted:

Complaining is the official pass-time of the Pacific NW.

Well that too, but that's just because it's so lame here, like, it's not real enough man.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

I wish some people would stop being such jerks about Cascadian culture.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

sullat posted:

Hey Portlanders! Don't forget to pay the art tax, lest our opera-goes be seated on off-brand velvet pillows, and use inferior opera glasses in this season's shows.

Uuuuuugh, that thing's such a deceptive pile of poo poo. I would've ended up voting for it if my boyfriend hadn't mentioned that it was a flat tax, which surprised me because I'd somehow managed to read multiple articles on it beforehand without finding that out. Surprise surprise, when it passes we find out the money doesn't so much go to schools as it does to places that schools might potentiallysend students on field-trips (places that weren't hurting for lack of money either), and the process of finding out if you need to pay it (much less actually doing so) is needlessly complicated/obscure while also consuming a full third of the funds collected through bureaucracy (at best).

I mean, it's not the worst because it's only $35, but it's still weirdly skeevey, and more of a pain in the rear end to deal with than it has any reason to be.

Kaal posted:

Well that and mostly so that K-5 students get art and music teachers.

http://www.portlandoregon.gov/revenue/60079

Woah woah woah, most of the money actually does go to schools? :psyboom:

Well, that makes me feel less annoyed by the whole thing...still a little grumpy about it being a flat tax though.

Knifefan posted:

Leave it to Portland to implement the most regressive tax possible. I paid mine last year and they somehow managed to not record my payment, sent me a notice, and when I sent them a receipt for on-time payment I was only credited me with $35(leaving the late payment charges). Between the water fluoridation and the arts tax there is apparently no ceiling on the idiotic bullshit Portland voters will pass in a referendum.

Don't forget the other thing last year (that didn't pass thank gently caress) that was well meaning, but also stupid, Cascadians teaming up with Portland industry to try and put corporations in charge of regulating water quality instead of the city (seriously, the hell?) because a reservoir was probably going to be shut down otherwise. :v:

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 19, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

What was the reason we didn't just go with the federal exchange in the first place? I've never really understood why we needed to pay contractors to make something that already existed.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Not sure where else to put this so since it happened at PSU I guess this gift is for you, PNW thread!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7cwWegXCU

Its a video of anarchists/leftists shouting down another anarchist/leftist for writing a paper saying "Uh, maybe we shouldn't shout down our fellow radicals?"

Bonus irony: this was filmed by some local right winger who shows up to events to document "crazy liberals". The talk being given was about informants in radical circles. I just...I don't even...*shakes head*

Yeah...I had to go find the article in question and I'm still not sure what even.

From what I can tell it's just another chapter in a stupid little slapfight between the author/friends and people who disagree with them on some relatively minor organizational issues (or...not maybe?), with your usual "herp-derp stupid SJWs" types thrown in as the shitcream frosting on this sadass cupcake-cake.

Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Gerund posted:

In leftist organizing, LGBT communities, and even in the 'smart' hobbies such as rational skeptics, there are still a lot of the same lovely attitudes towards sexual predation, unwanted sexual advances and abuse between subordinates.

So what happened here is basically the people that thought that they were the ones on the "right side of history" and believed that all they had to do was stand still and drag the rest of the world to them are being confronted with the reality that the healing and cultural change necessary to reach what they believe in is going to be a dramatic change from what they were comfortable with.

To domestic violence in the LGBT community specifically, there is a silent horror between the abused and the larger community because everyone involved is afraid to ask for help from the 'straight' authorities. Because when the culture at large has been under assault for 'unclean living', there is a pressure to present a strong image to the wider world- even if this means sheltering lovely people doing lovely things to their victims and targets because they are strong leaders or members of the community.

The PSU panel would have worked a lot better if they'd not, y'know, lacked empathy and a solid anti-rape and anti-abuse procedure within the movement. The only person that writes "Under this theory, the survivor, and the survivor alone, has the right to make demands, while the rest of us are duty-bound to enact sanctions without question." is someone that is utterly loving clueless about sexual predation within unequal power dynamics.

OH! Okay, so that's actually what this is about and I wasn't just totally misreading things, yeah in that case I'm gonna' have to side with the people shutting down the panel. I've literally never in my life met someone arguing for "healthy skepticism" of accusations of abuse in leftist circles who wasn't just clueless at best.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

sullat posted:

So, I guess we get to keep our water supply or something? Never really did figure out what the point of that ballot measure was.

From what I recall: Corporate assholes thought they could leverage the perceived discontent of many Portlanders over water rates to take control over water away from the city itself, and give it to a :airquote:non-partisan:airquote: elected council which, due to the way it was supposed to be structured, would've been very easy for said corporate assholes to influence (like, "this is an unpaid position that people who've ever worked with the city or utilities are expressly forbidden from being a part of" easy).

TBH I was pretty worried after seeing people flip their poo poo over fluoridation and pass the Regressive Tax.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

glowing-fish posted:

So who thinks the entire E. coli reservoir scare is a false flag operation to get Portland water under corporate control?

:tinfoil:

That's just what Big Water wants you to think!

glowing-fish posted:

As wonky as I am, I can't really work myself up over water bureau issues, although I know there are many people who do. Is there anyone who can give a one paragraph description of the politics of Portland's water supply?

From what I've read it's mainly people who're grumpy that they have to pay comparatively more money than people in other cities do for water/sewer services, with a dash of actual scandal over the city using some water/sewer funds for non-water, non-sewer purposes over the last couple years.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

tk posted:

Doubtful. He likely has to agree to not move the team in order for the sale to be approved.

Can't they just be the Seattle Los Angeles Clippers?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Ballmer and NBA teams can please remain outside of Cascadia from now on. Both concepts are most welcome to me.

But he's even got the word "ball" in his name! How can you allow such mascot potential to be wasted?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Stanos posted:

The best idea in a chaotic shooting situation: untrained people pulling out their guns to return fire.

As clearly demonstrated by laser tag arenas and paintball parks nationwide.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Oregon placed the blame on Oracle, the organization the state health authority hired to build our exchange, and our governor told everyone a few months ago that we were probably going to sue them. Except today, Oracle sued Oregon. It doesn't help that Oregon was extremely loving stupid about this contract, but Oracle is a pretty incompetent organization so I'm having a really tough time picking a side here.

The side that isn't loving Oracle.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Jobs are a little harder to come by here than in other major cities but the flip side of that is that its a lot easier to get by with less. Its not like a sink or swim, hustle or die city like SF or NYC. One of the stereotypes about Portland that I've found to be true is that there are a lot of slackers working part time, under the table, or seasonal work just to cruise through (I'm one of these). Its pretty easy to do for the most part if you have any skills and/or contacts, although it is getting harder, at least if you want to live west of 40th

Although, I'm pretty sure that's going to change in the next ~10 years if the rapid gentrification of areas like SE and North continue. Portland's going to be a lot less attractive without a bunch of relatively cheap housing along major bus/train lines available for rent by groups of 20-somethings.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

xrunner posted:

This is very true. And anti-development voices are starting to get louder. It's actually a tricky issue, too, because so much of the character around mt tabor is the old craftsman homes and yards. But it's also where people want to live. Expect rents and property values in that area to really go up in the next decade. Same with around Alberta. It's the new NW 21st.

On the plus side, my place is doing its part to keep those down. :v:

Fer serious though, I'm almost certain that my place is getting sold to a company that'll replace it with an expensive quadruplex the moment my 70-something year old landlords kick the bucket.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

I have mixed feelings about infill, too, but it seems that the alternative would be for the single-family houses to continue to explode in value. When new housing is blocked, after some time the only people living in the existing stock would be the rich, and middle-class white people who (depending on the neighborhood) bought anytime between the seventies and the turn of the millennium. It's not like the rate of people moving to the city is going to slow down any time soon, absent another recession.

Well yeah, it'd be pretty great if all those new buildings contained new apartments that actual humans could afford to live in...but I'm pretty sure they're mostly in the vain of ~$1,600+/month studio apartments for rich 20-somethings (and also don't have on-site parking because that will somehow magic away everyone's cars they already own).

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Cicero posted:

Right, but isn't that because developers are so limited in how much they can build? Like, if you were only allowed to sell 50 cars a year as a dealership, obviously you would do the most luxurious cars you could get away with, because making decent profits on low-margin product requires scale. There seems to be this weird idea that some people have that dreaded developers will only ever build luxury developments anywhere, when clearly in places with low cost of living some companies must build middle-class apartments and houses (either that or middle-class housing is just the high-end housing that was built thirty years ago).

Uh...yeah, they're limited because building apartments is expensive, and generally you're not going to want to spend that much money on construction/maintenance unless you expect to get a lot back in return. Housing for the non-rich is less potentially profitable, that's why you usually only see companies deciding to create more if they get at least some of the initial construction funds from elsewhere (like the city or state).

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Cicero posted:

Right, but demand for high-end housing isn't infinite. Once the lower-hanging fruit is taken, it seems like developers would still prefer making some profit via building middle-class housing rather than doing nothing.

That's assuming that those developers are either A. stuck building housing in 1 city or B. interested in long term profit.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Hedera Helix posted:

Trains use less energy during operation than buses, and can carry more people.

And make me less motion sick.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Vavrek posted:

I hope it doesn't take that long for repairs/replacement to happen. :ohdear:

It takes that long.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Tutta Bella owned, thanks goons! It would absolutely fit in with the heterosexual pizzas I had in Naples.

what's even the point of a hetero pizza?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

xrunner posted:

Why? I say absolutely nothing I wouldn't say in real life. I use the same filter in my online interactions that I use In my day to day life. I find it somewhat liberating. Hth.

Edit: I'm neither a demon or a politician. You're not going to find anyone who "my true name" has any power over. Honestly. I'm sick of the identity paranoia on the internet. It's just really not that serious.

It's less that most people are scared because they have terrible secrets waiting to be uncovered, and more that a lot of people who know them in real life might be credulous enough to believe whatever random thing some rear end in a top hat on the internet decides to say about them.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

whyleftismfailed.png

wow trannies are really powerful

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

The Constitution Party are some creepy motherfuckers.

I remember years ago when a Local News Man ran as a Constitution party candidate he had these commercials where he yammered about "illegal citizens".

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Winkle-Daddy posted:

Is "pioneering pastor" code for "too racist and terrible for most churches"?

yes but also too crazy

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

well none of this would be a problem if you guys in washington had just banned guns full stop

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Javid posted:

Now your estate can sue the seller! What an improvement.

see that's why the better option is just banning all guns

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

have i mentioned in the last few posts that i'd like to ban all guns forever?

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

move to canada?

move to canada

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Looks like the boy had free access to family weapons. Not sure what a background check would have accomplished.

and that's why ban all guns

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

oxbrain posted:

Mandatory background checks for owning a teenager.

ban young white males

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

I find it interesting how much of the handwringing over GMOs boils down to the idea that Monsanto et al. are engaging in the least profitable food adulteration campaign ever.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Ditocoaf posted:

This seems like a red herring in our debate about legally requiring something on food labels.

oh no

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

mod sassinator posted:

Holy LOL, if that isn't pacific_northwest.jpg I don't know what is. Old Volvo (although Subaru would be better), Northface jackets, frivolous service animal (in a god drat grocery store)... yep it checks out.

I think that might just be a dog in a sweater.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

anthonypants posted:

Frivolous service animals have gotten us to the point where "emotional support pig" was in the news just a few weeks ago.

awww

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

its best just to not have animals

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

foobardog posted:

including humans

yes, this is reasonable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

effectual posted:

Well the point of my dog (shih tsu) is that it's hypo-allergenic, since the rest of my family is allergic. Also I work in a grocery store myself and love to pet the dogs people bring in. They're cleaner than most other stuff I touch (wash vegetables before you eat them, seriously).

but why would i want to wash something that's sat in crates on trucks and warehouses and on moist shelves without sneeze guards for days on end?

• Locked thread