Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

So you're saying that Oregonians are racist because there was slavery in the South? How does that make any sense? I'm not really sure what you're trying to say.

I think that fundamentally you're conflating racial diversity with how many black people there are, and that is a real disservice to the 25% of Americans who are neither white nor black.

Im curious about the current controversy between the local hip-hop scene and the police. Clearly, a hip-hop scene isn't automatically black, but a lot of stereotyping and negativity towards such a scene will be based on anti-black prejudices. I'm not into hip-hop so I don't know much beyond the basics that there has been a lot of concern that the city has been targeting shows and the like. Last weekend a club was shut down for being overcapacity which I've never heard of happening in the fiveish years I've lived here. Also, a few months ago a local artist moved to NYC and said he refused to perform in portland ever again because of police targeting. If anyone more familiar with this issue could weigh in on it, I'd be pretty appreciative.

http://www.oregonlive.com/multimedia/index.ssf/2014/03/illmaculate_leaves_blue_monk_w.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

I'm not intimately familiar with Portland police, but Oregon police are pretty notorious for targeting progressive youths (being as the police forces are the last true bastion of conservative power in the state). In Eugene that means raiding co-op/metal shows and attacking protesters, in Corvallis that means constant vice patrols through student neighborhoods and targeting punk street kids, and in Portland that means intimidating hip hop/gay warehouse events with overwhelming force. And I'm sure Ashland would have its own problems if the police department there wasn't such a chaotic shitshow and mostly focused on either combating California drug traffickers or being bribed by them. I would say that age and politics probably has a lot more to do with it than race.

It sounds like the City Auditors Office will be stepping in to take a look at things, and recently they've shown a willingness to tangle with the Portland Police Bureau, so perhaps something will come of that.

http://www.wweek.com/portland/blog-31327-portland_cops_treatment_of_hip_hop_shows_will_be_investigated_in_wake_of_blue_monk_incident.html
http://www.opb.org/radio/programs/thinkoutloud/segment/are-hip-hop-shows-targeted-by-portland-police/

See, the interesting thing is I go out a lot. I've been inside seriously over-crowded venues but I've never seen a police officer come inside. That includes some pretty wild metal and punk shows. I don't know, maybe I just missed them, but I've also never seen a street lined with cops in that part of town. The owners and attendees may have been mostly white, but even still, the type of prejudice that led the cops there could easily come from stereotypes that hip-hop is a black gangster culture.

I'm also glad the city is looking into it. Portland police (apparently oregon police generally) really need to be reigned in.

And now that it's mentioned, it is kind of funny that the guy gave racist cops as his reason for moving to NYC without any appear ant irony.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

1) There is really no reason Target, McDonald's, Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc. can't begin paying a $15/hr minimum wage immediately. A phase-in is appropriate for small businesses, but the big boys can absorb the additional cost without a problem. And if they can't, well, then, gently caress 'em.

2) The problem with this is that $15/hr + tips is only "crazy-high" if you're working 40-hour weeks, which service employees pretty much never are. It's not extreme for restaurants, especially for the ones that get a phase-in.

3) Absolutely. The shenanigans they pull with "exempt" employees are loving bullshit.

4) A phase-in is more than fair for small businesses.

Like Washington, Oregon requires bartenders, busers, and waitstaff make at least minimum wage. It's liberating in a small way. I usually tip 15 to 20% but if I get really awful service I don't feel bad leaving less.

Also, I found the entire raise the minimum wage debate horribly frustrating. My South Carolina friends and family would talk about how even $7/hr was a huge burden on a franchisee. They'd ignore me when I'd tell them fast food, big box stores, and the like haven't disappeared up here.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Man. I kind of hate Portlandia for that reason. It gets annoying when I go visit people in SC and they act like I've been living in a foreign culture. Or when people visit they see somebody who fits the stereotype and go "oh, that's so Portland." As if there aren't people like that everywhere to some degree. I mean, maybe it's because of the university, but I saw ironic mustaches and hipsters in Columbia, SC too. Even if you go to hawthorn 95% of the people you see aren't some stereotype.

That said, I work out in McMinnville and it's night and day different than Portland. Like others said, Beaverton is just a generic American suburb, but once you get a bit into the willamette valley the character changes.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

Friend of mine moved from PDX to NOLA and had people ask her "but why would you ever want to leave Portland?!" and tell her they were moving there as soon as they could.

(there are actually jobs in Louisiana)

Don't get me wrong. I love living in this town, but for reasons unrelated to "Oh my god, wacky crazy people doing weird stuff all the time." I don't know, I've been here for 5 years or so and there's a lot to like, especially if you have a good job and enjoy being outside between May and October. I mean, there are interesting differences between the south and out here, but for the most part people are still culturally the same as other parts of the country. Although, maybe if I ran with the 22 year old crowd my perspective would be different. Or maybe I'm just indoctrinated.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

Although, I'm pretty sure that's going to change in the next ~10 years if the rapid gentrification of areas like SE and North continue. Portland's going to be a lot less attractive without a bunch of relatively cheap housing along major bus/train lines available for rent by groups of 20-somethings.

This is very true. And anti-development voices are starting to get louder. It's actually a tricky issue, too, because so much of the character around mt tabor is the old craftsman homes and yards. But it's also where people want to live. Expect rents and property values in that area to really go up in the next decade. Same with around Alberta. It's the new NW 21st.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ernie Muppari posted:

On the plus side, my place is doing its part to keep those down. :v:

Fer serious though, I'm almost certain that my place is getting sold to a company that'll replace it with an expensive quadruplex the moment my 70-something year old landlords kick the bucket.

It's up or out. I hate to see the historic character go, but I don't want to end up like Seattle or SF either. I think there is a way to mix in higher density while keeping flavor. But yeah, rich people with money need things to stay the same. Look at the fit that got thrown over that house in NW a couple months ago (not that I support tearing down historic houses so that a rich person can have a big, modern house with a view, it just demonstrates the point).

I heard something on OPB recently about expanding the urban growth boundary, but screw that. I posted this comment on their website and stand by it. "Cities should be cities, rural/wild places should be rural/wild, and suburbs shouldn't exist."

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

FRINGE posted:

I met some of those. They were from CA. :v:

Not true! I stopped at some place in the middle of a too-long drive to rest and all the 100 year old zombies were looking at me like I was food.

I remember that.

(Some hamlet in southern OR.)

Ha! You're right though. In my urge to condemn Portlandia I think I may have oversold my position. It's just annoying when people talk about Portlandia like its a loving documentary instead of a boring tv show.

That said, there really is a looming infrastructure problem on the horizon. Expanding the streetcar would be nice, but I'm sure there is no money for that.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You're right, of course. I just felt that a streetcar expansion might be a better way to get hawthorn, Alberta, and the like on the grid without the bigger footprint of the max. I've always wondered why more systems don't use elevated trains like Chicago but I'm sure there is a good reason. And yeah, I'm positive that the max expansion to Barbur will die early for the same reasons the Lake O and Vancouver ones did. Middle class people with two car garages are afraid of poors riding transit out to their neighborhood and robbing them that, and they don't see any benefit in not driving.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 10, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Living in Chicago (which is probably the worse place for an elevated system ironically enough), it is loud as hell, stations are exposed to the elements (not really an issue in Portland) and infrastructure is usually more especially if you go with wood ties....like Chicago does. Chicago has the system it does because a lot of those right of ways were built in late 19th/early 20th century. Otherwise, you would have to tear our buildings to build those lines.

Anyway, the transportation issue doesn't have much of a magic bullet. MAX expansion, Bus funding and maybe BRT would be an improvement but I don't think it will be enough.

Thanks. My only real experience with Chicago is visiting family in the summer so they seemed fine to me. As you and CZ mentioned, I would think the fact that they don't have to worry about crossing traffic and they don't require eminent domain/demolition would make them more desirable. And they must be cheaper than subways.

That said, something needs to be figured out with traffic. The roads are completely inadequate and like you said there is no room to expand them at the choke points like the tunnel or the Marquam bridge. Portland is a fairly compact town. I've lived in cities with half of the metro population that had an equivalent geographical footprint (Jacksonville comes to mind). That should make mass transit more effective. I mean, if light rail or the bus served where I work, I'd jump on it. With congestion, I don't think it would take any longer (actually, when I was at L&C I had a clinic downtown and taking the bus got me there just as quickly as driving).

I think a big problem is cultural. People are just adverse to using mass transit. It's associated with being poor and people tend to think transferring buses/trains is confusing (although google maps kicks rear end at that). But things are going to reach critical mass soon. The highways here really can't handle the load.

Edit: Interesting. The google maps app has been completely functional for me. Although, I never ride at peak times
VVV

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 10, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

SyHopeful posted:

Mass transit can't be the only solution, because I-5 is THE major West Coast commercial trade and cargo corridor. Decreasing the number of commuters on the road would certainly help, but our interchanges, onramps, and offramps are not very big-truck friendly. As anybody who's gotten stuck behind one on one of our many short, uphill onramps can attest.

Yeah. I-5 through Portland is a mess. The fact that there are no southbound ramps between downtown and 99? The fact that the curves back up traffic even more than a three lane interstate already would? The fact that the I-5 and I-405 merger on the bridge is nonsensical? What about the 84 and 5 merger on the east side? Hope you like two lanes (one of which is an exit only lane). Portland's highways are awful but, at the same time, they don't have any room to expand. It's not just issues with eminent domain. How is it geographically possible to add a lane through the curves? Or getting onto 5 north from 84? We're stuck with the highways we have. Relieving local demand seems like the best response.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Beowulfs_Ghost posted:

There is also a lot of research that shows that adding lanes only solves congestion to a point. Eventually people see that traffic isn't an issue and they drive more, filling the new lanes up with more cars until the congestion returns.

Yes. I've seen this research too. I guess I really just think that instead of trying to solve our (unsolvable) highway problem, we need to just figure out how to make the highways undesirable for local traffic.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Anyway, besides transportation there is the second big issue in Portland, homelessness. Recently the city has decided to start citing homeless structures for "illegal structures" with the possibility of them having to show up in court, their property is impounded and their pets are taken away to shelters. Needless to say, many of these people who can barely say their name much less work though the legal system, and there has been a massive back up (3 months+) in shelters. Basically, Portland is starting to simply jail people for being homeless (many of them people with mental problems that should be in care) with absolutely no plan even to provide shelter space because it is cheaper (well theoretically).

http://www.portlandmercury.com/portland/the-secret-weapon/Content?oid=11833364

IIRC Hales ran on a promise to gently caress over the homeless. Correct me if I'm wrong. He's certainly done his best since taking office.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Basically his only opponent during the race imploded because the Oregonian and the local media ran a daily story for weeks about the fact he once punched a girl in college at a party. That said, your right though Hales was anti-homeless from the beginning and even the Mercury backed him.

Portland sure is wacky isn't it.

Yep. I remember punch-gate. Smith was definitely the better candidate policy wise. But he punched people, which, honestly, is a flaw. That said, I'd have voted for Jeffry dahlmer over Hales. Dude seemed evil as gently caress.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 10, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

That and his driver's license got revoked like seven times in ten years?

And then he decided to run for governor of Ohio

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

You guys should just rebuild that bridge on your own, then toll the poo poo out of it.

loving hate Vancouverites.

That's exactly what we did with the sellwood bridge. Except the toll part. What I'm saying is portland has a history of building bridges for our neighbors... Who mostly just poo poo talk

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

That one was hilarious. The only thing we asked Clackamas to pay was five dollars a year from vehicle registration, and they took it to referendum where it was voted down 63-37.

"Good neighbors build their own bridges" that happen to almost exclusively serve the county that refuses to contribute, since the bridge, while serving nearly exclusively Clackamas county, is geographically located in Multnomah county. Seriously, gently caress Clackamas

Edit: I should point out for home viewers that while Clackamas rejected a $5 increase, Multnomah accepted a $20 increase.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 10, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

If you were wondering why Clackamas rejected it: this is why.

Like, if you would actually force them to pay for their poo poo, they would have to either accept the tax increase, or move the gently caress to Portland.

Oh, that's why you don't do it; you're scared they'll do the latter. Maybe it's a worthwhile price to pay.

This is a silly post. Multnomah took on the project with the expectation that Clackamas would follow suit. The tax revolt over who would pay for legitimately necessary infrastructure upgrades came later. It's really a classic example of a suburb being a leech. Although, I could say that about Washington county and Clark county too. Portland's suburbs are horrible (as all suburbs are)

Edit: although it is fair to point out that this is one of the least tax adverse towns I've lived in. I mean, we voted in the art tax in 2012, and if there was ever a stupid tax measure... Yeah

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Aug 10, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Kaal posted:

I'd prefer just shutting down the bridge when the safety concerns become too great and waiting them out. Washington tax-tourists will be coming down to Oregon to buy our crap as long as there is a single bridge operating across the Columbia - it's really just the Vancouver commuter sprawl that would be affected. Oregon is willing to be a good neighbor and play its part, but frankly the bridge isn't in our good interest.

It is if you live in NoPo and take I-5 home. You're just as snarled in bridge traffic as everyone else. Also, as others have mentioned, it's a major N/S corridor. Can't imagine the disruption if 205 was the only way over the river. That said, as far as tax tourism... I know a lady in camas who brings her cans to oregon for the bottle redemption but buys them in Washington where they don't charge a bottle deposit. Between sales tax and gas I don't see how she thinks she's getting ahead.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Aug 23, 2016

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

I'm sorry, but you are a fool if you're using your real name on the internet, and telling people about it on an unrelated forum. :doh:

Why? I say absolutely nothing I wouldn't say in real life. I use the same filter in my online interactions that I use In my day to day life. I find it somewhat liberating. Hth.

Edit: I'm neither a demon or a politician. You're not going to find anyone who "my true name" has any power over. Honestly. I'm sick of the identity paranoia on the internet. It's just really not that serious.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Aug 20, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

She's crazy. Not as crazy as Art Robinson, but still crazy.

This. Plus, she's just not ready. A month or two ago the Oregonian ran a quasi debate between the two. It was pretty apparent from the end result that she was clueless. http://www.oregonlive.com/mapes/index.ssf/2014/07/merkley_vs_wehby_on_the_issues_14.html

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So who else has seen this weirdness? I know they have a billboard on Burnside too. Probably other places. Not sure who they're trying to reach with these though. Anyone who can make sense out of this billboard already knows who they're voting for anyway.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

glowing-fish posted:

I don't know if this is referring to local or national politics? The Bridge and the Website could mean the CRC and the ACA website in Oregon, or Christie's GWB problems and the national ACA websites...

Rudy Crew is...Rudolf Guliani? And Eliot is Eliot Spitzer?

And then Bhutan? I can't think of Bhutan being an issue in either Oregon or National politics.

Maybe this is just high level trolling?

It's definitely meant to be local. The bridge is the CRC. The site coveroregon. Rudy crew was our departed overpaid education czar. And Bhutan is a nontarversy where kitzhaber and his wife visited Asia.

Edit: but it's pretty much nonsensical unless you follow local politics. Which was why I shared it in the first place

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Sep 11, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ElBrak posted:

Last time it snowed hard and stuck around I got stuck on a bus on I-5, took me 8 hours to get from Seattle to Renton.

I wasn't around in 2008, but last February was kind of amazing. Five inches of snow shut portland down for five days. Apparently, this town only has two snow plows, which, given that most snow melts in under an hour, I guess makes sense.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Hedera Helix posted:

If Oregon had a sales tax, how would it affect traffic on I-5 and I-205? There have to be a lot of people who live in Clark County, but come over to Portland whenever they need to make large purchases.

Well, Washington could always start enforcing its use tax against individuals... (Hahahahaha yeah. Ok. It would cost more to enforce then it would bring in as revenue).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

gohuskies posted:

One of the revenue proposals that the legislature should pass is changing that. Right now you just flash an out of state ID and they take the tax off at the register, instead you would be charged the tax and you'd have to go to the Department of Revenue website and fill out a refund request form. Figuring that few people would go through the hassle, it'd raise more sales tax money. It's been brought up several times before but never passed.

Keep in mind that the exemption is limited to oregon, Alaska, New Hampshire, Delaware and Montana ID cards (the states without sales tax). It's also entirely the seller's discretion whether to take it off. The point is to try to get Oregon residents to do cross boarder shopping, it's not a massive loop-hole. If you required an application to the DOR then the entire point would be gone. As for the use tax, I can't imagine how difficult it would be to enforce on individuals. Businesses already keep records so it's as easy as auditing them every few years. How many individuals keep those kinds of records though?

Edit: weird, I just looked it up on their website and apparently Colorado IDs count too. Which is odd given that CO definitely has a tax. http://dor.wa.gov/Content/FindTaxesAndRates/RetailSalesTax/Nonresidents/default.aspx

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 2, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Bucket Joneses posted:

Why would this even need to be said?

Mainly because the post I quoted implied it was any out-of-state ID. Or at least I read that implication into.

And really, my point was that changing it to an exemption you apply for rather than get at point of sale defeats the entire point of the exemption anyway.

And I'm greedy and like to save a few cents on sales tax on the rare occasion I find myself buying something in the 'couv... :)

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Nov 2, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nope - gently caress the idea of a sales tax. What we need to do is have corporations go back to paying a fair share of the tax burden, like they did in pre-1960s America.

Limited sales taxes can be a good thing. A 1 or 2% meal and beverage tax on prepared food and alcohol for on premises consumption would bring a ton of money into the Portland city coffers. It's not like people come to Portland because it's cheaper than Vancouver or Beaverton. It's just a more desirable destination. Oregon law gives county governments the power to set them up, I believe, although currently I think only Ashland has one. I agree that a general sales tax would be crappy.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

There are hotel taxes and such in Oregon, and some other "luxury taxes," including some restaurant taxes, but they aren't really "sales taxes" per se.

Explain to me how Ashland doesn't have a sales tax "per se"? http://www.ashland.or.us/Page.asp?NavID=9180 that's a sales tax. It's a limited tax and not a general tax, but that doesn't make it any less of a sales tax.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The narrowness of the focus and ability to avoid it make it more in the nature of a luxury tax, although it is, in barest terms, a sales tax. Basically, if you camp and don't eat at restaurants or go to bars then it doesn't exist. Local gas taxes are more of a classic sales tax, but you're right, the aforementioned restaurant tax is technically a sales tax.

This is veering off topic, but no, it's not a sales tax in the barest sense. It's a sales tax. It's a tax on transactions where the seller collects the tax from the buyer as an agent of the government. Now, most sales taxes are broad, but they can be more limited. That doesn't make them not a sales tax. The motor fuel tax is not a classic sales tax. It's imposed on the dealer, generally when they remove the fuel from the terminal, and there is no visible pass through. It's more properly classified as an excise tax. You appear to be equating sales tax with a tax on necessities. It's not necessarily that. It's a tax on sales.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 3, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I might be biased from the time I have lived in states WITH a sales tax, and thinking of it as an ubiquitous annoyance. And I already agreed that, by definition, the restaurant tax is a sales tax. The distinction I'm making is more of a subjective "spirit of the law" rather than a "letter of the law" statement.

I get that. I'm just trying to reinforce that a sales tax isn't necessarily a tax on everything. That way, we can talk about maybe expanding revenue through limited taxes instead of the knee-jerk response of...

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Nope - gently caress the idea of a sales tax.

Personally, I think a meals and beverage tax would be an amazing source of revenue for Portland with almost no negative consequences. Way better than things like the street fee that was getting talked about earlier this year.

Gerund posted:

And to be real specific, its a tax on the consumer value of the sales rather than an arbitrary value measurement such as a gallon tax on gasoline.

That's also a good point, although I can think of plenty of excise taxes that are value based. Federal medical device excise tax come to mind. The big difference is that an excise tax tends to be imposed on an importer/manufacturer and baked into the final price while a sales tax is imposed on the retail sale. Although, in my experience the terms get used pretty inconsistently by different state legislatures.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 3, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

My proposition is also based on quality of life issues posed by these monstrous vehicles. They block sight lines, obstruct traffic, don't fit in parking lots, and generally just don't make for good company on the roads. Environmental concerns are certainly valid, but my objection goes well beyond that aspect of outsized vehicles.

It's not just environmental. Semis tear up the roads in ways suburbans don't. Seriously, semis are heavy enough to gently caress up the road bed in ways regular passenger vehicles, even big ones, can't. I mean, I'm sympathetic to your points, although I don't see enough suburbans to really think of it as an issue.

Edit: also, on a completely different topic, who thought this sign was a good idea? I get what it means, but there has to be a better way to get that across. I mean, the tracks aren't a hazard if you cross perpendicularly. It's when you're riding parallel that you get thrown. The one wheeled bike doesn't really get that across. Anyway, are these new? I've never noticed them before.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 3, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Man, it really says something about this state that we are legalizing pot and possibly labeling GMOs, but we don't give a gently caress about students and safer roads... (Voted yes on 86, 88, and 91).

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

computer parts posted:

You've got a case of the (older, out of college) Libertarians all right.

Seriously. And we aren't vaccinated, either.

Edit: nah, my teeth are fine. I grew up in a state that wasn't terrified of science. My kids? Ehh.... We will see

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 5, 2014

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I voted for it as well, but I don't recall seeing any mailings or hearing radio ads specifically regarding it (I don't watch TV), so kind of guess that a lot of people read it as "giving free stuff to illegal immigrants" thing rather than a "document people on the roads and allow for accountability" thing.

I also voted for it. I saw a ton of signs against it though and none in support so I wasn't surprised that it failed. If I recall correctly, it was something passed by the legislature and then pissed off racists decided to put it on the ballot. So there was a lot of organized support against and not really any for.

A guy I work with had a giant yard sign against it stuck in his back windshield. It said something about protecting road safety, which along with being a dumb argument, was pretty funny seeing as he had completely blocked his rear view mirror.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

So guns aside, what's the take on the latest version of the street fee? I mentioned earlier in this thread that I'd rather see a prepared food and beverage sales tax than an income tax. I say this as someone looking at maybe $200 a year in obligations under the fee as proposed. I'd pay far more than that to a limited sales tax but I feel like the base is broader (Washington co, Clackamas co, Vancouver, ect...). At least it graduated this time, unlike the earlier proposal and the arts tax...

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mrit posted:

Washington needs a state income tax, and to remove the state sales tax. Keep the city based sales taxes.
Oregon needs a sales tax, to let cities raise income(also, this would make Vancouver angry, which is a good thing).

There, now we can argue about taxes instead. I'm sorry I even mentioned that lovely graph.

The B&O is a pretty crappy way to run an income tax. Seriously... There is a reason most taxes target net income rather than gross. I think Oregon is fine without a general sales tax. But, I'd like to see destination towns put in place prepared food and drink taxes, a la Ashland. Lots of money to be had without placing an unnecessary burden on people in poverty.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Ditocoaf posted:

Washington voters are allergic to income taxes, and Oregon voters are allergic to sales taxes. Together, they make Vancouver a reality. Vancouver is the result of two states playing Chicken with incompatible tax philosophies, and both losing.

Allergic to personal income taxes, maybe. You still have the B&O. That's pretty much an income tax disguised under gross receipts language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

I don't know a lot about the B&O tax but I don't really see a problem with targetting gross income, especially when it looks like it's mostly below 1%.

The rate isn't the point. The problem with taxing gross income rather than net is that a business' effective tax rates depend far more on their margins. So, say two businesses bring in the same amount of money, but one has an overhead that eats up 90% of its revenue! while another has an overhead that eats up 5% of its revenue. Since this is a gross receipts tax, they both owe the same dollar amount. Now, WAs B&O is a bit more sophisticated, but the same basic criticism remains

Edit: to add to this, say expenses eat up 110% of the business' revenue. Who cares. You still owe B&O on your gross receipts.

HashtagGirlboss fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Nov 12, 2014

• Locked thread