Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
To be fair, Rumiko Takahashi created a lot of the staples of romcom manga in the first place, especially harem manga, so it's not too surprising to discover that there's always elements that imitate her in a lot of series. As everyone's noted, Nisekoi's striking point is it basically hits every genre cliche with barely any fanservice. The locket storyline is nothing original either, since Love Hina worked with a similar premise, and every character basically hits some standard archetype. The only thing that surprises me is that the two main heroines have each received enough focus now that I'm unsure which one would be picked even though my initial guess would have been Kirisaki obviously, though it probably doesn't matter in the end anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Love Hina is better because it copies Maisson Ikkoku, while Nisekoi only copies To-Love-Ru which copies Urusei Yatsura. The former builds towards its ending with character growth and plot development, while the latter just meanders about usually maintaining the status quo till an ending happens. I like the former more just because there is a sense of time and progression, while with the latter, the only change that's likely to have happened is the number of characters. Course, there's nothing wrong with comedic slice of life with romance elements, as long as you know that it'll probably run for a long time till either the author gets tired of it or it gets canceled.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Sonata Mused posted:

I think authors are pretty afraid of having the protag choose someone. I remember there being a giant poo poo storm over Ichigo 100% back in the day.

Ichigo 100% also did the practically never done thing of the protag choosing someone who's not the designated main heroine, which a lot of people were not happy about. I thought it was a good story choice personally, though the execution leading up to it was a bit contrived.

Nisekoi probably won't do that though and Chitoge/Onedera/status quo is the most likely result unfortunately.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don't think anyone reads Nisekoi for the plot anyways, so silly filler is always good.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finding out that the editor of Nisekoi was also the editor of Gintama explains a lot. Also Marika is his favorite character.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It would not be too surprising considering his editor also oversees Gintama.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

pentyne posted:

Doesn't every harem series always have the MC be focused on a docile, kind of quiet semi-subservient traditional Japanese girl while the other options are mixed Japanese, aggressive, or really quirky in some way?

Kind of, though you can probably blame that on visual novels constantly having the boring childhood friend as the "main" heroine which ended up influencing manga and anime over time. The genre itself kind of didn't do that initially considering Urusei Yatsura and Ramna 1/2 were arguably the original harem series, and obviously those two series had very proactive heroines, and you can see their influence on stuff like Tenchi Muyo, Love Hina, and Truthism.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Pretty sure idealized housewives (yamato nadeshiko) have always been the preference. Tsunderes popped up to basically go against that cliche and ended up becoming a cliche themselves.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It was just a very by-the-numbers chapter that you see elsewhere a lot. Hopefully Marika chapter should be fun though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
She's the editor's favorite heroine. I'm sure he just sends it back whenever he gets sent a mediocre Marika chapter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Skychrono posted:

I meant love hina, but I'm way overstating how much fighting was in the second half (with the Monkey King play, cursed sword, and fighting with the archeology guy). But negima morphs way faster, true.

To be fair, Nisekoi already has the elements in place if it really wanted to do battle sequences with Tsugumi existing, and we even had that one chapter where she was sneaking into that party with Raku. I doubt it ever will since Nisekoi seems set on staying fairly grounded despite all the mafia in the background. Love Hina just loved to embrace its insanity more as time went on that it developed into the Negima universe. Random sidenote, I just realized that Keitaro was practically the first immortal considering how often they joked about it, and tried to abuse that trait in the second half of the series.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
A lot of good faces this chapter though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Oh hey, more plot progression. He can finally progress to the stage where he can't make up his mind and delay choosing now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hey, it could always transition to insane mafia adventures to protect Chitoge and their ordinary school life that'll finally show off what he was planning with Double Arts, sort of like how Love Hina transitioned into insane demon sword, mecha-turtle, archaeological adventures that evolved into Negima. It won't happen, but one can always dream. :allears:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, basically, though limited down enough where you could arguably call it a spiritual successor arc for Double Arts. Now what'd actually be plot progression is she actually goes to America, and then Raku goes there to bring her back, though that's also a pretty cliche set-up. It still leaves an opening for the status quo to stay unchanged though, but it at least gets him to do something assertive for once.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nisekoi's ranking is the same as it's always been, being on the lower end of the spectrum, but not low enough to be axed. It's latest volume was the 2nd best selling volume last week as well so I think it's still doing well sales-wise. I haven't been following sales as closely, so don't take my word completely on that. I assume Nisekoi is doing the same thing To love Ru did of never having a particularly high rank, but doing well enough in sales that it sticks around.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That last one has always lead to the worst arcs whenever it pops up I want to say. Can't even recall specifically which manga it pops up in, other than it's a cliche storyline I don't care to see that often. But yeah, off the top of my head, I see Love Hina, Ranma 1/2, and To-Love-Ru or Urusei Yatsura in there.

EDIT: Are they even in their 3rd year yet? There was at least one summer vacation so they did move up a grade.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Feb 20, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter. We are edging ever closer to that harem-lord prediction.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It's a harem manga, so its progression by general standards has always been two steps forward and one step back, if it's not just being general hyjinx usually focused around one of the haremettes. There's been very slight plot progression for the last few chapters though, at least in terms of character development but otherwise it's been your usual harem antics.

On the latest chapter, I actually forgot about completely about the plot for that book since it's been ages since we heard about it. The only thing I remember was that Chitoge didn't know the ending for it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Marika being the best will always make me smile.

As for the chapter, there's still a few pages missing and he probably made the promise with all of them at this rate. We should go back to filler chapters. Onedera chapters are lame.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well that's another cliche to check off the list. Somehow forgot about those legendary love locations that Japan has everywhere.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The key and pendant got accidentally knocked into the disposal box. Your usual plot complication.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 4, 2015

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

BlitzBlast posted:

Alright author, the ball is in your court. How are you going to shove this under the rug?

Very easily. No one should be surprised

The good news is Marika next chapter hopefully.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Unlike all the plot/locket fakeouts, I really want Marika's illness to be a constant fakeout. Raku's dad being completely ok with the police kidnapping his son is pretty great though.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

I'm starting to think it's not gonna be a plot fakeout, at least for Marika anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New chapter!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MrAptronym posted:

I found this a few days ago going through this thread. It is amazing, and after reading all of it (at a bit of a slower pace), I still really enjoy it. The principle is the greatest. As for Nisekoi, well I have been stuck at a computer a lot lately but without too much to consistently do. I decided to pick it up to kill time. At some point I just pressed on out of spite and because I wouldn't ever catch up otherwise.

As for the Anime this week, maybe the first part is funnier if you are familiar with Madoka or other magical girl stuff? I am not, and it didn't do too much for me other than a couple decent gags. I am glad they didn't try and make a full episode out of either that or the work chapter though. 'Work!' was pretty good I think, if only for some good faces, animation tricks and Onodera-mom. It helps knowing that Haru's gimmick is one of the few things that actually changes in the manga. I am glad they didn't draw it out like this forever.

The Manga's new year chapter was pretty decent, if calm. Its sad when even Kosaki admits nothing has happened in the past year. I have no idea what is going on with the sweet wine thing at the end? Just filling space at the end, or are we going to get another 'everyone thinks they are drunk' style chapter? Also Marika's conspicuous absence makes me feel like we are prepping for a larger continuation of her story soon.

Everyone's totally getting drunk next chapter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nothing... Nothing at all. :zoro:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

jackofarcades posted:

Fuuka kills off the titular character, who is also the daughter of the main couple from the prequel. Then it introduces another love interest with the same name.

Please do not endorse Seo Kouji's manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Raku, become the Yakuza boss you were always destined to be already!

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I see we actually are transitioning to battle manga, at least for this arc anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Finally Komi can use the battle experience he gained from doing Double Arts. Wasn't Tsugumi basically gonna be the swordswoman he was planning on introducing before it got canceled? I vaguely recall him showing off a sketch of that character at the end of double arts.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I'm being dumb, who was the other bad parent?

Erina's dad in Shokugeki.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For just a moment, it was the closest to seeing Double Arts again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shinjobi posted:

I didn't hate her at all, but I'm glad her story has been resolved. Let's wrap this poo poo up; time for a last second sweve and victory for Onodera's sister.

I'm still guessing some non-choosing ending where he rewrote the ending of the picture book to make all the girls happy.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Lmao at that last page of the latest chapter.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
He still has to find the rest of that picture book though, which he probably changed the ending to a harem end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SpacePig posted:

So will the true resolution be this quick, or are we in for another 30 chapters of back-and-forth coming up?

It'll have to tie up the picture book and the locket, so there'll be some kind of stuff going on I'm sure.

• Locked thread