Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DNK posted:

Also as an end-of-life plan I'd consider transferring money over into relatives' accounts slowly. This is ~14k per year ("gifted") that is tax free and legal.

Unless she's past the exemption (measured in millions) the money is better spent making sure her estate plan in order and everything is in a trust. Don't start doling out grandma's money willy nilly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Phone posted:

I'm toying around with the idea of becoming an ex-pat and possibly moving overseas permanently. I have some soft goals to meet, but I'd have at least $40k in cash by then so setting up shop shouldn't be too bad. I'm 29 now, will be 30 or 31 when I'm looking to move.

I know it's impossible to project future gains and whatnot, but for argument's sake, let's say that I'll have a 401k (funded with pre-tax dollars) worth at least $100k by that time. There's the risk that things won't work out and I might come back home to the US, so not immediately cashing out the 401k seems like a not terrible idea; however, I don't have an idea of what to do if I am going to remain overseas. Just eat the tax penalty and do a wire transfer after 5 years or something?

Leave it for your retirement. You still retire regardless of where you go.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Should a cover letter be attached to the email or should it be in the body of the email?

Don't overthink it, but definitely also attach it and reference it in the email. "To whom it may concern, My name is Firstname Lastname, I am writing to apply to Exact Title From Website job position. Please see my attached Cover Letter and Resume. You can contact me at Phone Number. Thank you, Firstname Lastname" Also even if it's not tailored title them both: Firstname-Lastname-Resume-Companyname.pdf, Firstname-Lastname-Cover-Letter-Companyname.pdf.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My favorite part of owning individual securities are the batshit insane shareholder proposals. I voted yes on several simply because my tiny position could never sway the vote compared to institutional and insider votes. (and then we got brexit)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Disco Salmon posted:

My husband is being offered an FBA (Flex) acct that will cover both of us when the benefits pkg gets sent out this fall, and I am seriously considering taking it up for us since I am in charge of all that fun stuff.

I went thru today and wrote down all the medical expenses we have had over this year and it looks like this would cover most if not all of them, with some left over. It does say in the little paper that $500 a year can be rolled over into the next year if it isn't used up. So, if it gets rolled over does that lower the amount we can put in the following year? Or is it a cumulative thing? So, instead of $2500, we could have $3000 in the account if the $500 is rolled over if I am understanding this correctly. Or, is it that we only would put in $2000 to meet the limit of $2500?

I assume I will need to save all the receipts. Would we need to do anything special tax wise for it? Or for 2018 taxes, it should be on the tax papers we get correct like the 401k?

Do I pay the amount that we owe after insurance with the little debit card thing when I get the bill in the mail?

And lastly, any major cons that I am not seeing or realizing? Overall I think this could be a good thing for us...but I just wanted to get BFC's input on this.

Ask the HR person how that rollover works, they will tell you. Otherwise, you've got it.

Anything non-cosmetic you get done at the doctor it pays the out of pocket cost. There is also a big PDF they can provide you of everything that is and isn't covered. There is a lot of OTC stuff you can put in there too. Condoms (birth control), Sunscreen (must be primarily sunscreen >= 35SPF, not "makeup with SPF"), bandaids, and almost all OTC drugs with a prescription from your doctor count. There are new anti-hoarding rules because of the braindead use-it-or-lose-it bullshit. My doctor has a sheet that has everything commonly used OTC that she signs for me once a year at my physical, it's great. Means Sudafed, Advil, etc is all covered.

Even the most braindead portal tends to be easy enough to work. Take a picture of the receipt with your phone, resize it if you are feeling generous, fill in a few lines, submit. Don't overthink it. They'll tell you if you did something marginally wrong, but honestly they don't look too closely at 99% of it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

This is illegal in California. You need to tell them they will have it for you by close of business tomorrow with all outstanding reimbursements or you will be filing with CA Labor and Workforce the following morning.

This should make you eligible for unemployment, and L&W will confirm if that's the case.

Or let them sweat it, they owe him his daily wage until it is provided. They are digging this hole, not him.

Let the ink dry on your i-9 at the new gig in two weeks then email and ask where your paycheck is at, assuming you haven't received it. Then it's a 2 week paid vacation, magic!

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 15, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Log posted:

TL/DR: Can't find housing in SoCal.

I live in SoCal, been trying to find a housing situation for over 2 years now without success.

Because of medical issues I can't live in shared living situations or situations where there's a lot of mold/mildew/air pollution.

My budget is up to ~$1600mo and I need enough space to park (at least) 4 vehicles and 2 trailers.

I've been told that the issue lies in that I get paid via 1099 from at least 6 different business entities and based on where I'm needed, the company I get the bulk of my money from can change from month to month.

I have hoped that I could convince a bank to let me just buy someplace, because I'll always make the money I need for repairs or to make the rent, but I only have about 8k saved up to put towards a down payment.

I've spent over 5k this year alone in rental application fees and I feel like I'm doomed because of my work situation (which will never change).

Any advice would be helpful.

You need to post a budget, and why you are comingling 4 vehicles+2trailers in with your personal housing situation. Those are two different problems which probably involved selling some of that stuff. $8k saved isn't much, do you also have an emergency fund?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bob Log posted:

I have a motorcycle and a car, my s/o has a car and a truck. Arguably I am willing to sell my car and she's willing to sell her car, it's a matter of when and how.

There's a work van and two trailers I have as part of my work. They all contain nothing but work materials and are not entirely mine. Yeah they could go away, but I get paid to keep them around.

I figured stating that my budget for housing was around $1600 would be sufficient delving into that issue? I'm not really looking for budgeting help on that end and I could go up to 1800 if the place was perfect and I could live there forever.

The problem I thought I was facing was not immediately monetary but how to work around landlords, rental agencies (for renting) and banks (for buying) preferring people with a single source W-2 income vs. someone like me with multiple sources via 1099.

Edit: 3mo emergency fund. Suze Orman was drilled into me.

There is something you aren't telling us about this scenario. $5k is a lot of credit checks. Are you a practicing sex offender?

Call a realtor and tell them you want to rent a house and explain your situation. Give them a copy of your free tri-agency credit report and stop paying for checks until someone agrees they will rent if your paid report matches the free one.

Rent space to store your work stuff.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do the current bwm thread rules allow us to cross post this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fozzy The Bear posted:

How long are you guys staying at jobs? I'm averaging 2 years per job, mainly because I just haven't found the right fit yet.

I'm putting 10% in my 401k, but I rarely get the match vested, or best case I only get 20% of the match vested. Knowing that you will lose your employer match, would that change what you contribute to your 401k?

It wouldn't affect my deposits because I max my IRA and 401k annually. If you go past your IRA limit its generally the next best thing. The vesting is a way to try and retain you by deferring some of your compensation. Jumping ship tends to have a better impact on your compensation but make sure you are running the numbers on it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

So Capital One 360 has finally ruined the old ING Direct website. Their updates make it way slower and less usable.

Any suggestions for online banks that don't suck? Even better if they have decent interest rates for savings accounts.

Ugh. When did that go live? Their mobile app has been getting better and better. They *do* listen to constructive feedback based on personal anecdotal experience. I spent 10 minutes describing my use case and reasoning behind their previously absurdly low deposit limits (they reduced them from 10k to 1k or similar, I literally thought it was a typo in the app at first. Now they are 50k.) they got 2 other people on the line, listened, and took notes. Not the first time this has happened, either I am part of a chorus of complaints or it really works to spend the time.

Explain it all in terms of how that is how they differentiate themselves from the competition and don't be a screaming lunatic.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

devicenull posted:

I got the updated website a couple weeks ago.

Everything is terrible.

Sure, I could complain and get them to fix it.. but "throw away all the changes you made and go back to the old version" doesn't really seem like something they're going to do. It's pissed me off enough that I went looking for other banks, and discovered Capital One's interest rate isn't even competitive anymore.

Sounds atrocious. I haven't gotten that yet. I don't do any recurring transfers so who knows.

Their money market account is 1.2%. Buyer beware.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why buyer beware? I've got almost all my short-term savings in Capital One 360 accounts, and will probably move them to either the 360 MM fund or Ally since the rate is better. Feels like it would be easier to just keep it at Capital One vs a new bank, but I can be convinced to move it if there's a compelling reason.

The new website design is pretty bad, I agree, not sure it's so annoying that I'd want to change banks though.

Money market accounts have vaguely more risk. I personally have 6 months of emergency funds in the capital one 360 money market account.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ohgodwhat posted:

Is that a humble brag or an idiot brag?

:v:

When have you known him to be humble?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

I'm going to be starting a remote position with a company based in California soon, while I'm living in Massachusetts. They are offering a BCBS plan for my health insurance, and I'm wondering how that would work since we're on opposite sides of the country. Would I be getting a BCBS plan under California law and policy, or would it be contracted out to an insurance provider in Massachusetts (if not BCBS itself)? Would there be a difference?

This is a question for your benefits person. Ask them about how to look at in-network doctors, hospitals, etc on the patient portal.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KitConstantine posted:

Financial comfort is when some scammer can access your old forgotten paypal and transfer out 1000 bucks the day rent is due and its an annoyance rather than an emergency. A year ago and I would have been stuck paying the 35 dollar stop transfer fee or (so much worse) had to borrow money from my parents

I have the old account on complete lockdown - new unique password, 2 factor auth, notifications via text for attempted transactions/logins - and will switch the money back when it goes through, but I can still pay rent and expenses and it wont even drain my savings to zero or even close to zero.

Nice!

Protip if you have a bank account from capital one 360 (ex ingdirect) you can just make a PayPal only bank account with 0 overdraft. PayPal can play whatever games they want that account has $1 in it unless I am actively paying for something. Mobile app takes a minute to click all the right buttons to move money into or out of it.

Click open account, savings, deposit a dollar. If you let it drop to 0 it automatically closes.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

William Munny posted:

I was thinking more like a person he could talk to that could say "No, all the things you're doing/your family is making you do is not normal" in person rather than over the internet

Unsure if there is really a lot of content. I've posted in the BWM thread about him before but it has a lot of the typical things of financial abuse (being forced to take out credit, give access to bank accounts to parent, finance travel and gifts for parent, etc.) and also just bad money habits (being a "collector" of lots of things, being afraid to cook meals at home, renting too big of an apartment) but it wasn't until recently where he is basically maxed out as far as debt service equalling monthly pay. As I said in my reply above, I didn't know if there was something like an financial abuse intervention service or somewhere to get tips on how to help.

If this is elder abuse or similar it's an attorney. If it's just your friend doesn't know how to tell their spouse/children "no" to the latest horse lease then it's therapy. They might be depressed, they might not have any self esteem, etc.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

William Munny posted:

Well its more like he doesn't know how to tell his parent no to things, but that would fall under therapy I suppose.

Yeah that's therapy. Elder abuse is when your grandmother is unable to care for herself and you spend her social security on hookers and blow instead of a nursing home, not when grandma convinces you to buy her hookers and blow.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I brought up the Prenup Conversation today and the fiancee has absolutely lost her poo poo that I'm "already thinking it's not gonna work out", and thinks I'm crazy for considering this since "we're not celebrities"

But it doesn't seem like that bad an idea... We're both in our mid 30's, but our net worths are $1M vs $0 (savings roughly equal to current debt) and income is $120k vs $60k.

Anyone ever managed to have The Talk without it blowing up the engagement?

Is this net worth some business asset or something family related you want to ensure stays that way? Otherwise you're about to combine your lives. You should be having a conversation about updating your trust beneficiaries and getting a joint checking account.

She's way more right than you are in this circumstance.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Uh with that disparity if poo poo goes tits up and he doesn't have a prenuptial then it's gonna loving suck. A ton of people who are happy get married and eventually divorce. It's protecting yourself.

You can still get a joint checking account and all that, but assets you come into the marriage with can be protected without it being a total shitshow

There is way too much to know in this internet comedy forum. Consult an attorney to see what makes sense for your circumstances.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah, I'll consult an attorney, I was just curious if anyone else had experience with it since I doubt we're the first couple in history to have very different views on finances (she views her paycheck as "this is how many dollars I can spend this month" and her retirement plan is "I like work, why would I want to retire?".

With "financial strain" being the #1 cause of divorce, I figure it's better to stay ahead of it than not.

Yeah I would also consider couples counseling. You're about to be a team. This smells like there is at least a little bit of goony mine vs yours instead of "how can we budget together so both of us are happy with reasonable compromises."

Couples counseling is really useful in general and I feel most people could benefit from it to a degree.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the actionable item from "prenups should not be relied on"? Don't marry below your caste?

Live in a community property state, don't comingle pre-marital assets with your marriage. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

We don't live together yet, so no, we haven't needed to know each other's income and expenses. Got our own apartments, cars, groceries, gas, etc.

This gets better and better. Are you strongly religious? ("pre-marital counseling") living together is a whole different ball game. I'm still surprised you never mentioned a 401k or whatever to your girlfriend.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

Can someone please help reassure me that it's safe to exclusively use a debit card instead of a credit card?

Is my worry warranted?

It's absolutely not a good idea for the reasons you laid out. One mistake anywhere can result in at best a bounced check. You also have an uphill battle to get your money back. Meanwhile your credit score could take a beating that no amount of "getting your money back" will resolve due to all of your late payments. Worst case you permanently lose the money, your payments are late or not paid, your car insurance is suspended automatically, and you are in an accident uninsured. Then you're arrested and your house burns down from the melodramatic narrative.

If you insist you can mitigate the risk by opening a second checking account to use for non-essential spending (anything online).

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 21, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Spatulater bro! posted:

I actually don't overspend. I keep a budget and have been paying the card off every month for the three+ years I've had it, with the exception of one month late last year where we had some unexpected expenses.

It's more the principle. I have lots of non-cc debt that I'm getting fired up about snowballing. I actually despise the idea of borrowing money, and my major goal is to never do it again. Getting rid of the cc seems like a logical first step since it's too easy to think of it as an emergency fund. But ONLY if it's practical to get rid of it, which doesn't seem to be the case.

If you have the self control not to overspend on it the upsides greatly outweigh the downsides. Try and remap it in your brain from borrowing money to the bank being your insurance policy instead of self insuring. I've been on the merchant side of a "whoops our billing system had a bug which ran your card 28 times last night" and you get a shocking number of people talking about bounced mortgage checks.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Did my taxes last night for 2016 and 2017, getting a pretty decent return because of over-withholding from switching jobs. Wasting it all on hookers and blow topping up our IRAs for 2018. :confuoot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

while you are correct that uber covers for liability when signed in to the app now, limits are quite low

And reads on that page like secondary insurance which only exists if you have primary coverage. Given all of majors now drop you or deny any claim while the Uber app is open those might not cover you. (looking at the "driving to a pickup" section.)

Secondary to all of that your insurance is going to ding you for all the miles you drive regardless of how many are personal likely unless you have really good documentation showing when they are covering you. Like, odometer readings every time you change coverage.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

potatoducks posted:

Hahaha what?

He makes a "I'm being coy but please ask me about this" shitpost. I make a shitpost reply. That's all there is to it. Shitposts on this lovely forum all the way down. I feel like you're being more sensitive about this than both of us combined.

This was my read on it too. Obvious "ask me about my giant penis pile of money" rather than :justpost:.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DJCobol posted:

I've been paying down my mortgage with extra principal payments that cut my schedule from 30 years to 15 ($610 mortgage, extra $340 a month roughly). I don't plan on being in this house for 30 years, and not for even 15 honestly. I'm hoping to get out within the next few years, especially if Amazon's HQ2 comes to Nashville. Would it make more sense to dump that extra $340 into something else? I already max out a Roth IRA, 401(k), and HSA account. No debt except the mortgage, and a small amount left on a car payment. I already have a decent emergency fund as well.

What's your interest rate? Is it fixed? How many years have you been in this mortgage? What is the LTV?

If the answers are low interest (<4%? <3.5%?) / 5+ years in / >20% ltv / no pmi etc then your option is to basically put it in a taxable brokerage account/CDs (2%) /high interest savings(1.5%) and save it to move and buy at your destination. This spreads your risk out of your house in case you have trouble selling it.

How stable are home values around you? How long do houses like yours (price, neighborhood, quality) sit on the market?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DJCobol posted:

4% fixed, 1.5 years in. $124k loan, $115k left. No PMI since I put down 20% when I bought. Home values are increasing because Nashville is still growing like crazy. The 3 most recent condo sales around me similar to mine sold in a couple days.

I would pay down my mortgage for a bit longer so if you want to sell it isn't a problem to clear the mortgage. 4% isn't low and 1.5 years you are still paying a huge amount of interest. You can always recast your mortgage in another year or two and compound your early payoff amount. (reduce your payment but go down to just your current payments.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Went out to lunch yesterday for a coworker birthday and the bill got split equally by the non employee birthdays and also we paid for the interns lunch so lunch cost way more than I anticipated

Birthdays are dumb you're s grown rear end adult!!

Unless your "share" of the tab was way under 50% of everyone else's I would consider this getting off lucky that 10 people didn't wind up with 3 people footing the bill. (Everyone throwing in $20 because they got a $5 app, $11 plate, and a $3 soda, ignoring/forgetting about tax and tip.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

hmmxkrazee posted:

Had a quick question that I don't think required a new thread.

My wife moved here from Korea last year and we'll be going back to visit shortly. Once there, she wants to empty out the money in her Korean bank account and bring it over so we can use it for our downpayment on a house.
The total amount would probably be around $20-30K and was wondering what's the best way to go about bringing and getting it documented properly so there aren't any issues when we start meeting with lenders for a loan.

Could we just bring that with us (in USD) and declare it at customs at the airport before dumping it into our bank account here? Will that be enough of a paper trail?
Or is transferring it from her bank in Korea to our bank here (BofA) a better option? That option seems to have more fees and whatnot but if it's less of a hassle when it comes to the loan, that's an option we're good with as well.

Wire transfer. Seriously. Pay the $100-250 to wire it and you don't have to risk the bullshit at the border, including civil forfeiture.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

Wow, is this the one and only circumstance where wire transfer is actually the right answer?

Or if you 100% want to guarantee that funds aren't sitting in ACH limbo, or to get above ACH limits, gently caress checks, double gently caress cashiers checks, etc. I used a wire to fund my house because they are free for my account and I can get instantaneous updates on where they are going. If you coordinate everything on both sides you can have fully cleared money to someone in under an hour.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Trabant posted:

We're 4 payments away from paying off the mortgage -- well ahead of original schedule

:toot:

Trabant posted:

I mean, I do know what to do next: plow the newly freed cash flow into retirement accounts beyond what we're doing now, not so that we can retire at 50 but so that we can retire at some point. Continue the get-spending-under-control effort. Lean into the FIRE mindset, if not the extremes of it. Get off my rear end and finally see if a side gig is doable.

Anyway. Mrs. Trabant and I have a slightly-complex tax situation so getting a CPA's advice is going to be my next step. But this wonderful light at the end of the tunnel is producing the strangest feeling and I didn't expect it at all. I guess it didn't feel real until I realized we'll be mortgage-free by my next birthday.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2892928

Have you been plowing money into your mortgage in lieu of tax advantaged retirement accounts? If so uh, oops. Ages, salary, intended retirement age, etc. Don't go all /r/frugal+/r/financialindependence those people are insane. Do you have a budget? While you get your wits about you, put money into something like the CapitalOne360 Money Market account is a decent way to earn a few dollars in interest.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Coco13 posted:

Drinking alone at home: GWM.

Look at this rookie wasting electricity on lights.

Jameson is my go to bar drink if I'm not getting a cocktail. Tends to be <=10/glass. My old dive bar it was $8/double. You couldn't order it smaller.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

f1av0r posted:

She wanted to see if I would accept first, before drastically reorganizing our leadership org chart. Which will basically reduce my current bosses responsibilities, totally change my previous bosses responsibilities, and move our current executive manager into a program director role.

Taking risks is a great way to get ahead in life, but a chain of demotions with a seeming rookie leap frogging every one seems like it would sow a lot of ill will into the organization. I would have a long hard talk with her about how this is going to be communicated out, how she will help you deal with the fallout, and why the current person you are taking over for isn't being fired.

Finding work in the non-profit sector is not a cake walk, so carefully consider what would happen if you do not succeed in the role. I would make sure you have a clear set of guidelines that will demonstrate success from your ceo.

Look up your orgs tax documents to see if they spell out salary information. You should be making at least as much as the person you are replacing, or have a clear and contractual description of how you're going to get there.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

f1av0r posted:

The timeline is basically we have 4 directors and our executive manager reporting to our ceo. Our rising star director in the crisis department is leaving to take a new job. She and our ceo then had a meeting to plan out our organizations future. I was brought up in that meeting as someone who understands big picture, finances, etc

So the plan was to use this as a rare opportunity to restructure our org and if we lose some people so be it. We have some people with good hearts but below average skills in their current positions (as I understand it). The only director not impacted is our development director who handles grants and fund raising.

Based off my conversations with the ceo, we have basically 2 current directors that are under performing in their current roles (she inherited them). And she’s trying to shift them into new roles that better match their skills.

But yeah., the amount of change and my lack of experience I think is going to create some friction.

This sounds way more reasonable. One way to help is to interview for the position. This would be potentially self limited due to the panel composition (you can either apply or be on the panel.) even if it's pre-ordained it can help others through the transition.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DuckConference posted:

What happened to the BWM thread? I can’t see it here or in the gas chamber.

College finance thread

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sirotan posted:

For new AND existing Ally bank customers, they are offering a 1% bonus on cash moved to Ally (up to $1k), but you have to opt in before the 21st: https://allypaybacktime.com/

Oh for fucks sake I just moved my money into there a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mocking Bird posted:

Can someone reassure me that it's ok to spend $$$ on professional movers? I hate to pay for it after going broke on deposit/some overlapping rent/utility deposits, but otherwise it will be me, my medically disabled partner, and my 55 year old dad doing all the heavy lifting.

Self move: $200-300 truck and accessories
Movers: $800-900

I've finally had credit cards at zero for a decent stretch and I can probably hustle together the cash, but man, ouch.

Make sure you get a Certificate of Insurance from whomever you use, lookup their insurance company on the internet, call them to verify the insurance is in force, and if you are moving expensive medical equipment you need to get that value declared in writing. Otherwise it's something like $0.60 / lb if they break it. Often times this means the movers charge you to pack the item. For example if your medically disabled partner has a special bed, chairs, or transfer equipment pay them to pack it and insure it at the replacement cost.

Movers are 100% worth it for the stuff that doesn't fit in standard size boxes. They can move in a few hours what it would take you all drat day. You will have enough to do post move that breaking your back moving isn't a great idea. Get everything (everything) into boxes before they arrive save for your suitcase of stuff you need to live for a day. You don't need to transfer it anywhere, on the floor where you packed it is fine.

If something is "too precious" for movers, move it yourself ahead of time.

Remember your 55 year old dad is probably stronger than you. :v: