Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
If you have a mortgage, does paying extra each month to bring down the principal faster lower your 'minimum' monthly payment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Every day I give thanks to Lord Internet for making Google so profitable that it can be absurdly generous with meals for its employees. This place is a food wonderland and I love it so so much. Now I can be lazy for lunch AND frugal at the same time!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

pancaek posted:

^^ With the number of hours you guys put in at the office they better be feeding organic, free-range foie gras every day. Unless you're in CA. Then no foie for you.
It's funny, both at Amazon and Google people were like, "oh man, you must work, like, so many hours" when actually I and most of the other devs were at work like 8 hours a day including lunch. Occasionally there's crunch but overall these jobs seem pretty cushy, although I'm sure there are other positions in these companies that are harder.

dreesemonkey posted:

Does google still allow employees their 10-15% side project time?
It was 20%, but as far as I can tell it's not really around in force anymore. Like some people still have 20% projects, but it's not this automatic thing that everybody gets, and you have to get your working on one approved by management, I think.

quote:

If they do, can some of those smart guys please please please get going on a mint.com competitor? Intuit owns both Quicken and mint, and they seem to deliberately not improve mint for fear of cannibalizing their quicken sales. And quicken is by far worst coded software I use on a regular basis.

Ideally, what I'd like is quicken in the cloud, except not coded by a bunch of loving idiots. I'm really surprised that there is no major cloud-based personal finance "books" tool that I can think of. Mint is fairly close, but not quite. YNAB isn't cloud based and still requires manual entry.

I miss microsoft money. That was simple and reliable.
Sorry but I have a pretty hard time seeing Google move into this space. Doesn't really fit their MO. I agree that'd be pretty cool though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

So, my company is sending our team on a paid-for 3-day trip to a fancy resort in Cabo. Awesome, right? Yeah, except they're only paying for the employee; you have to pay for your family yourself. Subtracting out travel time, for us that translates to ~$1400 for about a day and a half of actual vacation. And if you don't go you still get those 3 days off of work on top of the normal holidays and vacation time. Pretty easy decision I think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

No Wave posted:

It looks like 3 days without family in Cabo or 3 days with family here. How often will Mr. FI get to do a resort vacation in Cabo? Go for iiiiiiit
Haha :)

But really, I wouldn't enjoy that kind of vacation without my family. Maybe next time I can convince them to send us to PAX or something.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

That kind of sounds like the dark side of frugality.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

the posted:

Just spitballing here, but how much money would I need to open my own classic arcade? Are we talking like a million dollars in liquid income or what?
Ten million to support it for five years as it bleeds money and ruins all your financial hopes and dreams.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Confirming: Vanguard isn't a brokerage, can't trade through them, right?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bloody Queef posted:

Right. As well as their funds.

Vilgan posted:

the 20 bucks is the per year cost of having a brokerage account. Per trade stuff varies based on what you are buying (Vanguard ETFs are free for example).

Bloody Queef posted:

$20 is the cost for buying stocks, which I think is what the poster was getting at. And $20 is the highest I've ever seen for non assisted trades. Don't buy stocks through Vanguard. Of course Vanguard ETFs and Funds are commission free.

last laugh posted:

You can trade their ETFs without that fee, I believe.

Bloody Queef posted:

Vanguard is a brokerage firm. You can trade through them, but unless you hit the voyager/flagship levels, commissions are super high 20 bucks I think
Ok cool, I just want to buy Vanguard funds anyway, I'll look around more for how to link my bank account and buy those.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm thinking about starting a blog for family/finance/programming stuff. I'm a programmer (albeit mostly for Android) and could see myself wanting to customize it via code at some point, but not right now. Any recommendations for a good site?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just saw another person on facebook get both a new phone and a new number. I'm confused, do people get new numbers because they don't know they can port their number or can't be bothered to do it, or is it because they're in financial trouble with their current cell company and they can't get their number released?

moana posted:

The real money's in romance (what Sundae and I both write), but you have to write pretty well to make money there. It's kind of nice, no IMer competition :)
Is there some male equivalent to this? Cheesy sci-fi/fantasy maybe?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Those dumpsters ain't gonna dive themselves.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I'm trying to figure out what thrifty means in this instance. Bums food off parents or friends? Extensive garden? Goes to soup kitchens? Extreme couponer? Lives off of top ramen?

No but seriously, that's pretty impressive.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just heard an ad on Pandora for "organic checking". :barf:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Anyone used Simple? I just set up an account because I'd heard good press and it sounded like a cool idea, but after reading this review on Slate, it sounds like you really need to use their debit card as your main purchasing mechanism to get the most out of it. Is that right? That'd be kind of a bummer since that would mean losing out on credit card rewards.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

marchantia posted:

I use it, but I use the debit card as my main payment method as well. You could still take advantage of their gradual savings options, but I generally use it to hold amounts at the beginning of my paycheck that will be used for bills, savings, etc, so they don't show up on my "available to spend" amount. If you aren't a dummy about money like me and wouldn't benefit from the handholding, I'm not sure if it's worth changing over.
Is there a way to integrate external accounts into the "safe to spend" calculation? Like, say, deducting the balance on a credit card.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Sundae posted:

I'm more curious how they do it without going bankrupt from medical bills, honestly. The ACA makes it easier since you can't be turned down for a pre-existing condition, at least, but it's still ungodly expensive to have any kind of medical emergency in the USA, insurance or not.
IIRC thanks to Obamacare, max out of pocket spending per year for healthcare is now ~13k for a family (half that for individuals).

fake edit: https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/out-of-pocket-maximum-limit/

Looks like I was basically correct

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Aren't there a million ways to send money over the internet now? It seems like every time I check hacker news there's a new one. The most recent one I saw was something about sending money directly to a debit card I think.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

I must be totally bizarre because I really don't care how safe anything is
Quite the coincidence considering how the universe seems to feel the same way about you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

pig slut lisa posted:

If the goal is "not dying in a car crash" then reducing your personal VMT is far more effective than upgrading from a poo poo car to a nice car.
I dunno, the Model S looks practically indestructible as far as collisions go.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Much like we do with our spending, wife and I are starting to track our car mileage, trip by trip, in the hopes of gradually reducing it and using our bikes more. More money saved, more exercise.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

About 5k for I dunno, I guess 100-150 people? And a third of the money went to a plane ticket to fly out one of my wife's brothers from Germany. I don't know how everything was set up, but I do know we got the locations the wedding and reception free since we're mormon, and one of my wife's friends was the DJ. In any case, her parents paid for everything, which is what I expected; I wasn't aware that the tradition of the bride's family paying for the wedding was dying out.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

KoB posted:

The tradition of paying the groom to buy the bride from the family like a commodity has been dying out in recent years, yes. :v:
How is paying for a wedding "paying the groom to buy the bride"?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

By BFC standards her budget isn't frugal, but it is frugal compared to most Americans, I think.

spinst posted:

I don't care what you think, my hair is fabulous.
...ok?

Cicero fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 20, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I think your budget is sufficiently responsible. You have a decent chunk of money going into an emergency fund, and a bit going into retirement (I'm guessing since you're a teacher you get a pension?), and you're overpaying on the car to get it done faster.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

FrozenVent posted:

Is it me or financial service providers are really pushing YOU MUST KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE AT ALL TIMES!!!!! these days? I've been arching a bit too much American cable tv these past few days, and it seems everyone is trying to sell me credit report.

I'm Canadian, so maybe that's why, but I don't know my credit score and I really couldn't care less.
I figure the recent obsession has to do with gaming. Both that playing video games in some form has become much more popular thanks to smartphones, and that the generation that grew up in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras are becoming adults now.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

People treating their credit scores like the score in a video game. One of the threads here even used to refer to this behavior in its thread title.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Amazon sells so many things these days I'd just leave it there. Could use it for big purchases like a computer, or use it for gifts.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

moana posted:

Yeah, the most processing power I use is for Photoshop, so that sounds good. If you get yours picked out, could you message me the parts you ended up choosing? I'm probably not going to do mine until after all of the wedding stuff is done. Nocheez, which Asus did you get?
This just showed up on HN today: http://pangoly.com/en/

No idea if it's any good, but it sure looks nifty!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Look, this is BFC. We don't have friends, we have revenue streams.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

SloMo and KnyteGuy are the current BFC superstars. In fact, they're having a competition this month to see who can spend the least on discretionary items. Exciting!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's like this: good financial management can be split into two areas, safety and priorities. Safety is relatively objective, and includes having an emergency fund, saving for retirement, and not getting scammed. Priorities is much more subjective, and is all about matching up what you want in your head, especially in the long-term, with what you actually do with your spending and investing decisions day to day.

Everyone should be financially safe. But once you've hit that baseline, if your priority is spending bongo bux on a tricked out pickup, that's fine, as long as you recognize that spending money in that area necessarily comes at the expense of some other area, just like any other kind of spending.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 20, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I've been using personalcapital to look at my accounts at a glance instead of mint, but I have no idea if PC also has the same kind of budgeting tools as I enter in purchases manually.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Ugh, cars. $1300 for a couple repairs. But, super glad we've gotten financially responsible, since now it's just a little blip to our net worth.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 15, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Thinking about getting into credit card churning to reduce travel costs. Is there some downside besides the administrative overhead?

edit: just signed up for 2 cards, Chase Sapphire Preferred and Capital One Venture. I hope I didn't just make a huge mistake.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 15, 2014

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Congrats on the wedding and on having a Disney character named after you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It's like your yurt dreams came true!

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

A bit painful but the right thing to do. The slomo drip feed was getting obnoxious.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Just found out my company does the whole 'extra' after-tax 401k contributions thing, and has a webpage that explains how to do it. Yay! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Trying to max out my after-tax 401k contributions, which means my bi-weekly paycheck for the remainder of the year is going to go down to like $900. Looks like I'll have to sell some stock and take the 15% long-term capital gains hit, but I'll still come out ahead in the long run because of the tax advantages of getting way more money into a Roth IRA, right? Right? :ohdear: