Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

spog posted:

Any way to reverse a Western Union transfer?

No, this isn't a 'I thought he was a real prince from Nigeria' question.

Friend has been offered payment in the UK from a customer in Africa by WU and is concerned that they might reverse the transaction once the goods are shipped.
My understanding is that once WU transfer has been made, it is impossible to reverse it. However, as they would be paying into his bank a/c, I suppose technically WU could claw it back in the case of fraud?

Unsurprisingly, all the detailed answers are aimed towards the first situation.

This is dumb as hell, your friend should be ashamed, and both of you should know better than to take Western God drat Union for purchase payments. Their entire business model is designed around P2P non-commercial payments and monetary instruments, and has little to no system in place to mediate disputes over goods or services. Of course your friend is going to get burned, I look forward to your update where you tell everyone this buyer sent your friend extra money to ship faster but it turned out the funds were completely fraudulent the whole time.

For gently caress's sake this is a terrible idea you've cooked up, back the gently caress out before you end up having to explain this dumbass story to the police as they try to stifle laughter about y'all missing every red flag in the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

let's set up a ridiculously inconvenient meeting and spend far too long arguing on how to put together a BRD for the question

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sirotan posted:

Don't do it. You'll hate burning through your emergency savings and not having health insurance/paying out the rear end for COBRA even more than you hate your job. I've been on both sides of that equation (just recently got a new job, left a job I hated and a boss who was abusive), and not having a job while desperately searching for one was by far the most stressful time of my life. I say use up your vacation time or abuse sick time if you need to to go to interviews, send out resumes on the clock if you can.

Echoing this, I have about 6 weeks of vacation accrued, plus savings, and even though I'm a handshake and a figleaf interview away from a new job I'm not bailing until I have an offer because I don't want to deal with treating those respective balances like a ticking clock even if things are for the moment looking good on the other side.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

H110Hawk posted:

Wire transfer. Seriously. Pay the $100-250 to wire it and you don't have to risk the bullshit at the border, including civil forfeiture.

As someone who is an AML investigator for a west coast bank serving high-wealth pac rim clients this is the correct way to do it.

As a safeguard, speak about this with someone in the branch and make sure you are explaining the general source of funds (i.e. savings, sale of a house in Korea, inheritance) as well as your intended plans (down payment on a new house, savings, etc) going forward. You don't need to be exquisitely detailed but there's a good possibility that the bank is going to look at this wire if it's uncharacteristically large or being sent to a new account. Keep a year of statements from the Korean account as well, you probably won't need it for someone like me but I assume you'll want it for the underwriters wherever you look for a loan.

AML-wise, we want to make sure you aren't moving dubiously-sourced funds in a questionable manner. Move it all at once and document as best you can where it came from. It's altogether unlikely they'll even ask questions but you absolutely want to be prepared if they do because you don't want them to be reporting you to the treasury for possible money laundering. Speaking with the bank will help document that you intend to use the funds for an eventual down payment so that if you find something good right away they won't be left in the dark about this outgoing flow of overseas-sourced, recently-obtained funds for a real estate purchase. Your situation is absolutely not abnormal for any large institution but that's assuming they have the context for the flow of funds and don't just see korea->your bank->escrow because that's a common laundering methodology even if you aren't buying on a cash basis.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

But that is for stupid reasons in 2017. The name of the service literally comes from telegrams and it used to be done through the Federal Reserve via telegrams. You have to pay the bank $35 for the equivalent of an email agreeing to settle funds between two banks. For reference the actual fee charged to the bank is pennies.

Wires are like the overnighted cashier's check to an ACH's personal check via mail in terms of speed and verified funds, and they are about as close to "drop everything to process this now now now" as you can get with a financial institution in terms of service. Usually it's gotta be processed within 30-60 minutes if the client makes the request before the business day cutoff. That's gonna be worth the fee given how many people are spending time on your wire.

An ACH works similarly domestically but there's none of that urgency and it's more automated.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Higgy posted:

Don't spend $2k on a 16 year old car you dingus.

This. $2k can buy you a much younger used car in much better condition and at 16 years your car is just going to have more and more expensive problems as things start getting old and worn. You might save some money by handling minor repairs yourself but you're going to be running into a >$400 mass air sensor replacement, EGR problems caused by old and worn oxygen sensors, grommets and wire insulation wearing down, water intrusion into stuff like door consoles, headlight/tail light enclosures, etc. Take that $2k plus whatever you can get for your car in sale or scrap, and get yourself a used honda or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zaurg posted:

What if the 16 year old car has 53k miles on it and I bought it from the original owner (my grandma) @ 28k miles. She kept it in her garage / drove to church on Sundays. I left that part out when posting quickly earlier.

FAUXTON I hear you and that's what I worry about... let's say I fix this now and then a bunch of other things start deteriorating.

- water intrusion is already an issue in the trunk.
- I had water pump replaced about 6 months ago for ~$300.
- I have reoccurring electrical problems that get "fixed" for a few months and then return. The last time, last year, was that my door locks were broken and draining the battery. Now door locks work fine but battery was dead twice today and battery is only 1 year old.

$300 isn't an entirely unreasonable expense even if your car is that old. The low mileage for that age isn't a huge factor in the aging of a lot of components that aren't made of metal, though. Hoses/belts/gaskets sure, but wiring not so much. One thing that happens with more modern cars as they age is how the PCV valve will quietly go bad. A bad PCV valve will usually not immediately cause a check engine light or any noticeable performance issues, but because it deals with venting stuff like oil vapors and blown-out combustion products out of the crankcase, the lack of that function means that poo poo can build up in the guts of your engine, robbing you of engine power over time and thus increasing gas consumption.

PCV valve is a stupid cheap and easy fix though, if you catch it. EGR poo poo? Hoo boy. Oxygen sensors going bad means your engine computer will get bad (low-voltage) signals saying the exhaust is super lean, and that it needs to run rich to compensate. So you're going to burn extra gas from those. Combine that with a bad PCV valve and you've got a faster buildup of gunk in the crankcase being compounded with a lack of ventilation. That extra poo poo going around your piston rings will wear on the gaskets, causing them to rob your engine of power (using more gas to go from A to B) and to raise the likelihood of failure. Sludge buildup will increase mechanical stresses on the function of your engine - every part that bears some kind of force between the piston head and the transmission will deal with the greater friction, making bigtime replace-your-engine problems like a thrown rod more and more likely over time. That rich exhaust will start clogging your catalytic converter too - this might light your car on fire but more likely it'll just reduce engine power more. More frequent oil changes can slow this whole process down but it won't stop it and those sensors/valves (excluding the PCV valve which is almost always less than $10 and something you can fix without tools while parked in front of autozone or what have you) can get expensive to buy, let alone have a mechanic do the work for you.

EGR failure will gently caress with the ECU to a point where it causes misfires in the cylinders. This is something that you'll notice when it happens, especially if it kicks your car into limp/failsafe mode because your car's system notices the misfire and limits the engine's function so that it doesn't break something like a piston rod or the crankshaft. EGR is usually wedged behind the engine and a mechanic is probably going to spend a few hours in labor on it. Oxygen sensors are definitely something they'll probably keep overnight because they're in your exhaust system and they aren't going to work on that while it's hot unless they're real dumb. Catalytic? Well given your history you may well have sawn that off your car and tried melting it down for a few atoms of platinum but if that needs replacement many mechanics are legally obligated to replace it so they don't risk completing work on a car that later fails an emissions test.

Mass air sensors are just finicky things that go bad in older cars because of their design - they often have fine bits of metal or resistance-heated wires that will corrode or flat out break over time. You'll know when this goes because it'll throw a check engine light at you but they are a couple hundo to buy, so probably a $400-500 repair at the shop.

I'm not a mechanic (If you've ever gotten asked invasive questions by the bank about your bitcoins, I'm the guy telling the branch staff to harass you about your bitcoins and/or close your account) but as someone who has owned many an aging fuel-injected car growing up, your car ages like a snowball rolling downhill. At 16 years you're beating the odds something fierce but that poo poo will catch the gently caress right up to you like the feds catching ross ulbricht.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motronic posted:

You just effortposted to Azrgu. Are you new here?

Thread the 4th, 9 years later: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922

lol if I ever find out what bank he uses to get money out of bitcoin

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrozenVent posted:

Fauxton works in fraud and money laundering prevention.

He spends his days catching criminals, and when he’s tired of that he dunks on bitcoiners for doing poo poo like “4 payments of about 10k”.

Edit: Mueller’s team was gonna recruit him but then they were like “uh are everybody in this room’s finances in squeaky clean order?” And they took a pass. This guy’s reading your posts now zaurg.

hey

hey

it was me who turned mueller down because I wanted to be able to keep catching bitcoiners

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Just use vague figures and buzzwords, "reduced aging/unserviceables by nearly 90% by focusing on the realistically achievable recovery of each account" if I'm parsing that right. Basically you had a lot of non-paying debtors on the books and you developed a plan to either settle or bring them current with restructured payments, etc?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

howdoesishotweb posted:

Car buying is fantastic in TYOOL 2018. I found a car online and texted/emailed through the entire info gathering, bargaining, and finance application session. Had the car driven to my house for a small fee, signed the papers on the hood. Never entered the dealer! Having the sales guy “talk with his manager” on price is bearable by email.

But.. no income verification at all. Am I naive for thinking they’d want at least a paycheck to see if I can afford the payments?

Maybe they never cleared the lien and don't care about payments as long as you make a few

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Motronic posted:

Well, let's think about it: it's a car that a person couldn't afford to keep up with the payment to the point that is was repossessed. What are the chances they were spending money on maintaining it properly?

Or even caring about leaving it in resellable condition - you're gonna probably have to reupholster the interior for any number of reasons most of which aren't terribly gross.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lol at betting on a recovery at that point

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

This Time It Would Be Different

If the Dow shed two thirds of its value at a time when monetary policy doesn't have many remaining ways to stop deflationary spirals that aren't already in heavy use yeah that would be different, especially with a government hostile to countercyclical spending (or spending of any kind) as a moral hazard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

"The End of Growth."

OK, so what are you going to do differently?

Invest in the successor companies afterwards as opposed to the predecessors before?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

You're going to sideline your money for long enough for every business to fail and be replaced?

If everyone is rushing to put their money in the lowest-risk assets possible I'm sure as hell not going to just buy stocks with it right away.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

Sooo, still the index? Because if the successor companies are so successful... they'll become the new market, and the index will still be the best thing to invest in.

if this index is trying to track a Dow that's off 60% from a month earlier I'm saying I'll stay away from risk a little while longer and wait until, like, treasuries stop being priced in barter or what have you.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

The DJIA only covers 30 companies. People usually invest in the S&P 500 or the Russell 5000. VTSMX, Vanguard's total market index fund, is 3,628 companies. Additionally, the DJIA is price-weighted instead of capitalization-weighted. It's a terrible index to be tracking against. I don't know if you meant to use it for your example specifically or you were just making an example of when an index is down, but the DJIA is a bad example. If the total market is down 60%, your best bet is still to invest in it all the way through because otherwise you're either trying to guess the bottom (and you'll probably do it wrong) or you're trying to guess which of the 3,628 companies is going to be the Next Big Thing (and you'll probably be wrong).

This is what I initially started responding to:

But if you aren't really trying to time the market and you happen to be presented with the chance to buy while the S&P 500 is at -7000 then that's a good opportunity so....

And then someone else talked about buying "a bunch" if the Dow fell to 10k. I'd be all the way in preservation mode at that point with either of those two scenarios, I'm not sure where everyone else was coming from because those are insanely dire numbers and presumably indicative of something more wide-ranging than business cycles.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hoodwinker posted:

If that happens, money doesn't matter anymore then.

Hence "good luck betting on a recovery at that point."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gotta spend all your money to make some money :grin:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Since Americans are milquetoast motherfuckers they're an adequate replacement for a personality.

I don't really care about the price of the car, there's something in the way that a car that you really like makes you feel when you drive it. Just one of those things, I guess. Most cars, especially new cars, are really boring. I also like weird and unconventional engineering solutions, so that's part of the joy for me is understanding the way the team thought that was designing the car.

Idk I like my dorky honda fit partly for this reason and partly because resale value sticks to hondas like white on rice

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i like the fit and it is cool, just slow

:shrug: while it's not peppy by any measure, the 2018 is noticeably quicker than the 2012. It's got a slow mode that's real good on gas though, and since traffic maxes out at about 40mph on my drive to/from work I only get gas about once every 3 weeks on idk like a 9 gallon tank.

I do wish they had a way to like long-press or double-tap the lane change camera button and have the tailgate camera come up. That thing is great for really wedging into a parallel spot but I'd really like to not lose it when I shift out of reverse.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

As far as I am aware the reason why this feature does not seem to be available on any car is due to video screen/distracted driving laws in many states.

Fair enough, I can see the reasoning there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sirotan posted:

Applied for a mortgage pre-approval with Quicken today, and they tell me that I qualify for a loan 5.5x my base annual salary, with a monthly payment that is 62% of my net take home.

:wtc:

Lol when you have low debt payments and like to put money into retirement and also have large payroll deductions for insurance or what have you, it always makes for big comedy. Good on you for balking at it since jumping at that kind of debt is what shows on TLC are loving made of.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Tip the moving people. Tip them extremely well. In cash.

Thiiiiisssss

Movers, when good, can turn a 7AM-9PM slog into an 8-3 walk in the park. 3D Tetris masters of fitting poo poo in the truck, they move stuff way faster because they know how to handle heavy poo poo. As long as you've packed the non-furniture stuff into boxes and whatnot, you'll be floored with how smoothly things go using movers compared to having friends lug poo poo around in exchange for pizza and beer.

But still offer pizza if not beer too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HazCat posted:

I couldn't find a 'general banking questions' thread so I hope it's okay to ask here: is there a better way to transfer money internationally than bank to bank? I have Italian relatives who want to send me (in Australia) a gift of ~€2000, but they're grumbling about the bank fees and have asked me to see if there's any cheaper (but still simple/secure) way to transfer it.

Googling international money transfer only brings up services trying to advertise to me, which all seem to have a mixed bag of 5-star and 1-star reviews when I dig a little deeper.

I personally don't really care about the fees if bank-to-bank is the fastest/most secure/simplest system, but I figured it can't hurt to see if there's an alternative that will make my relatives happier.

try bitcoin lol

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

Imagine spending the rest of your life trying to keep her from giving money to things like this.

:sever:

lol it's like marrying an aging boomer

"THIS IS A LEGIT INVESTMENT OPPORTUNITY IN SIERRA LEONE!"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

enahs posted:

Thanks everyone for the help. If I can’t talk her out of it, I’ll post an update in the bad with money thread or e/n lol.

If she mentions Scott Yancey you should sever ASAP.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

zmcnulty posted:

Is anyone here an independent consultant? How did you get started, how is it going, and any advice you would give to someone looking to do something similar?

I am working towards establishing my credibility in a certain industry/region, and people are beginning to ask for my advice to help them make informed decisions about their business plans. Pretty much weekly I meet up with or take a call from someone looking for my opinion on some grand venture they are considering, market entry, or whatever industry trends and such. Emails arrive daily asking for similar. I am being interviewed by a magazine next week, so I expect more inquiries will come my way.

It's taking up more and more of my time. I have a full-time job that's completely unrelated, family commitments etc.

Though I provide advice for free at the moment, via email, phone, or in-person, I've been wondering recently if I can and should be charging people for my time.

Does anyone here do anything similar?

On the technical side, I suppose there are lots of freelance platforms online for things like web design, coding, translation, and so on. Then there are also independent consulting platforms for things like digital marketing, startup advisory, accounting, and more business skills. Is anyone using any of those platforms?

I'm not looking for a "marketplace" where I go and find work to fill my days. People already come to me looking for advice via my established channels. Instead I was wondering if there's something that could help with the actual booking/billing/etc.

if it's weed make sure your business account is housed somewhere like wells fargo or a local credit union in a state where it's legal.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

BeastOfExmoor posted:

So, I'm dumb and didn't realize that I apparently will lose the amount I'd set aside in my FSA the moment I leave my current job. I'm scrambling to try to get some dental work and an eye appointment for new glasses booked, but I think I'm still going to have over $1000 that I'd prefer to not just lose. Other than buying a ten year supply of orthotic shoe inserts and nasal strips does anyone have any ideas on how to burn through FSA money?

Daily contact lenses are ~$500-600 for a year and are rad as hell, though you could get extra pairs of glasses/prescription sunglasses, restock your various eyedrops/bandaids/etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

To a bank it also looks a lot like money laundering/a potential bustout, so be prepared to tell the truth.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My office has a convenience store/gift shop in the lobby and is connected by an understreet tunnel to a food court, a barber shop, the local bank, the gym, and the press club.

There's a coffee kiosk in the lobby too but the press club's grill does breakfast burritos and coffee way better.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mobby_6kl posted:

I just accidentally came across a product (a vacuum cleaner) that is sold locally for literally 1/3rd to 1/2 of the price than anywhere else. Even on ebay they seem to sell well for 2-2.5 times more.

Not sure what the deal is, if the local distributor is getting rid of stock or something, but there are multiple stores with these low prices here. It's not a huge amount per item but the margin seems pretty good, and would basically involve receiving the package, slapping another label on it, and sending it out. The ebay seller is in the UK, I'm in the (continental) EU so would have an advantage thanks to brexit lol.

I never sold anything on ebay, has anyone? Would you do this? I guess I picked up from my father to always examine the downsides too and can already see a pallet of unsold vacuums sitting in my living room. But seems pretty safe if I keep low inventory and only order a 5-10 at a time. Anything suggestions what to consider/avoid/do?

Jeez, I have lots of ideas! Would someone hire me?

Lol it's being bought directly from a retailer with a stolen card and having it shipped to you, which means they will direct the authorities to you if they get approached, and you'll have to deal with explaining to the cops that you actually bought it from ebay

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

nah mobbly is gonna buy them from a retailer and resell them on ebay

which makes me confused - if there's such a massive arbitrage opportunity a professional has to be doing this for real

Oh I misread that completely and thought it was some ebay seller local to Mobbly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I found out I had some leftover Bitcoin just sitting around, not a lot, but enough to put towards a used beater or pay off my small amount of CC debt.

Is it worth it to sell any of it or should I just sit on it? Not sure what's worth doing

Sell them shitcoins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hallo spacedog posted:

Maybe a weird question, but does anyone have a bank recommendation that they have had positive experiences with for business accounts? The business I work with is currently at Bank of America and it's basically the worst thing in the universe so I am trying to get together some better recommendations before I talk to my boss about making a huge move.

This is going to be strongly dependent on the services your business needs/seeks as well as what is being provided for free (or with refunded fees) by the current bank. Does the business need vault access, do they need analysis services, treasury management, etc. If it's just a matter of having business activities in an otherwise retail account with the business EIN then you're gonna have a hell of a lot more options. It's never bad to keep an eye out for better options though.