Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Bugamol posted:

My buddy has a small website business that he runs on the side. I think he's pulling in $5,000-$15,000 a year. Is it worth it for him to form an LLC or should he continue to run as a sole proprietorship? I think he's making around $50,000-$60,000 from his regular job and he lives in California.
I live in California and have a small website business! For tax's sake, I don't think it's worth it for that little - my first year I made around $15k, last year was $65k and I still don't have an LLC. Maybe this year I'll start a C Corp but who knows. That said, I self-publish so I don't really have a lot of liability anyway, if he's selling toasters that could burn someone's house down that might be a bit different. Or if he has a ton of assets to protect, I suppose.

He can make a solo 401k for himself to shelter some of the income, but he doesn't need to be an LLC to do that. Tax-wise, an LLC doesn't change much of what you can do for tax shelters, so it doesn't really make that much sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Sundae posted:

I just authorized my final student loan payment. I am officially :siren:debt-free!:siren:
SUPER CONGRATS!!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

This past week made a bunch of chili and lentil soup, freezing half of it for suppers so I don't waste a ton of money going out. I've been spending $500-$1k each month on eating out with my fiance, and I'd like to cut that down to more like $300.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

spwrozek posted:

drat that is some serious coin.
I suppose, that's why I'm trying to cut it down. I ran the numbers in mint for the past year, apparently we're averaging $350/mo so it's just the past few months that have gone over significantly, likely due to going on vacation... We spent $1k total this month on eating out + groceries, which doesn't seem terrible.

Still, I'm now saving up for a down payment, so I want to make sure I know where the dollars are going. I'm absolutely stupid at tracking the major stuff. Like this: Apparently I've been overpaying my property tax 100% and that's why I've been getting a $4k check from escrow at the end of every year. :ughh: I mean, it's nice not to have to worry about that kind of stuff, but I really should worry a bit more about that kind of stuff.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Lots of leather belts at Goodwill that look newish enough.

Actually just went to Goodwill today and splurged $7 on a few glass bowls. Spent the afternoon making some super cute succulent terrariums with my mom. My bonsai friend said that she'll help me make succelent centerpieces for my wedding this fall in big champagne glasses, so I'm excited for that! Maybe I can even make a succulent bouquet... no cacti of course, or the bouquet toss would be dangerous ;)

Also got a HUGE aquarium for free from a neighbor...looking forward to spending approximately a million dollars fixing that up, but ZOMG aquarium!!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Ate chili for lunch today, woop woop!

DENTISTS: what do you have to do to get a decent dental plan? I recently got kicked out of my old dentist's office because I'm on an HMO plan. I liked my old dentist. My new dentist was a jerk, didn't even do a cleaning at my checkup, and told me to switch to a PPO before he does a crown that he says I need - he says the old dentist hosed up my crown but that the HMO won't cover it because of all their exclusions and whatnot.

Which I can't do, because every Blue Shield PPO plan has a year's wait before covering a major thing like a crown.

I'm probably going to need a bunch of dental work in the future, as I have always had weak enamel that no amount of brushing and flossing seem to fix. What do you guys do for a dental plan? Here are the plans available to me: https://www.blueshieldca.com/bsca/documents/find-a-plan/dental-plans/A37470_1-14.pdf

but I'm also looking at alternatives like Aflac and the like. I just hate this poo poo and want to be done with it.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Went wedding dress shopping today. Didn't buy a dress. Win?

My plan is to shop around and then buy a design I like off of Tradesy or PreOwnedWeddingDresses. Engagement ring was an heirloom necklace reset by a jeweler friend for just $200. Trying to keep the cost of this wedding under $10k!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

End of month recap:

Goal was to cut food down to $300 eating out and $400 groceries for a total of $700. It ended up being $450 eating out and $230 groceries for a total of $680. So... not bad, but we can definitely do better on the eating out front! I think we end up making out eating out meals last a lot longer - a $7 burrito gives me lunch and dinner. But it's still less healthy. Gotta make more chili for work lunches!!

Income:
Day job – $6,000
Writing job – $17,336

Going to talk with boss about leaving at the end of this year. I love my coworkers but it's wearing on me to work basically two full-time jobs. I think I can do better on my own. Maybe I'll make a thread about it, since I'm also considering selling the house and downsizing a bit..

moana
Jun 18, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I just asked my wife and I'm not allowed to write smut books :(
The real money's in romance (what Sundae and I both write), but you have to write pretty well to make money there. It's kind of nice, no IMer competition :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Cicero posted:

Is there some male equivalent to this? Cheesy sci-fi/fantasy maybe?
I think you can succeed in any mainstream genre if you write consistently and quickly and are business-minded. However, it's certainly easier to break into romance than it is sci-fi; our readers are voracious and our novels are shorter than yours.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

You spend $40 bucks a month on food?

What?
All I can think is he's covered by the meal plan.

edit: oh wait, not in college?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I like AAA because of all the perks and the agents are super nice, plus you get more discounts the longer you stay with them.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Folly posted:

What the hell are you guys doing to get towed so often that it's a worthwhile part of the service?
I locked my keys in my car on Christmas, I'm pretty much an idiot and it's totally worth it :)

edit: they also do all my passport poo poo and offered free liability insurance for my wedding venue.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Juanito posted:

If I'm traveling, I don't want to have to search for a random tow service on Google and hope I don't get screwed. I want to call AAA and know I'll be dealing with something that I can trust.
For sure, especially on Christmas.

Also you get like discounts off everything with AAA. I get 10% off my auto repairs and oil changes, most hotels do 10% or more, lots of camp sites have AAA discounts. It's so way worth it for me.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Congratulations! What's the job?

Spending news: bought a couple packs of cards for wedding invites yesterday from Michaels, $20. So far I'm at $743 for wedding venue (273), dress (450) and now invites. Going to spend more on a screen to do the screenprinting on them, then watercolor them in by hand. I'm actually really excited about the invitations because I get to make a pretty thing :) Looking around for reception places now for a lunch reception, I'm guessing that will be the main expense.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

We have around 100 we're inviting, but lots of those are my family in France, so probably we'll be down to 40-50 for the actual wedding. We're planning a small wedding/lunch reception and then hosting a big party at our house that night for everyone who wants to get drunk or baked and dance/jam the night away. I know weddings are supposed to be where everybody comes together instead of segregating friends groups, but we have a bunch of heathen friends who don't care about ceremonies and a bunch of christian family who don't like alcohol, so.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Everyone pick a BFC superstar and give me "advice" as if you were them.
lease a Lamborghini and buy a gold plated fake arm

moana
Jun 18, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Any of you ever have a moment where you look back and think "wow, taking this job was the worst career mistake I've ever made"?
teaching high school. Not because it hurt my career (lol at the concept of "careers" nowadays) but because it put me in a really bad mental spot for years afterwards.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

I personally hit level 80 a while ago, but you know, keep grinding and you'll get there eventually

moana
Jun 18, 2005

spwrozek posted:

This is why people don't take the bus in America...it is looked down on.
That's like number one hundred on the list of reasons to not take the bus. Other reasons include:
- Ten times longer commute
- Can't stay out late at night because the bus shuts down
- Groping/flirting from creepy guys
- Smelly people sitting or standing next to you
- Loud people talking and/or playing music
- lovely circuitous bus routes not going anywhere near my work
- Overly expensive bus tickets

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Rick Rickshaw posted:

I couldn't imagine commuting to work by car everyday. If I did, it would be entirely self-imposed. It would be because I chose to live and work in places where it would be the only option.
"Bootstrap your way into a better place to live!" Way to victim blame. American bus systems do not work.

Radbot posted:

If by lovely place you mean the vast majority of the United States outside of probably ten major cities, then I'd agree.

Yeah, America sucks poo poo for buses. When I lived in Vancouver I took public transit everywhere and it was awesome. NYC was okay but overcrowded. But San Diego? fuckkkkkk buses, every time I've been in a bus I've had a terrible time and been late to where I was going.

moana fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 9, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

So I'm a doof and didn't change the payment settings on my Amazon affiliate account. Now I have like $1200 in amazon credit. Given that I don't really buy things off Amazon, is there an easy way to cash it out that I don't know about? (Amazon won't just send it to my bank acct, I've asked :()

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Oh cool, hadn't thought about giving the credit away as gift cards. That would actually be an awesome idea, maybe I'll do little handmade gifts along with a gift card. And I will be needing to buy a new computer later this year, I didn't even think about that. Well, that'll probably take care of the $1200 :) Thanks for the ideas!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

For example, Amazon.com has great prices and selection on grow lights that aren't available on .ca, could I pay you to order the lights and ship them along to me? There's no reason AFAIK why that would be a problem with customs.
When I lived in Canada I had to pay a customs tax on international shipments, do you not have to do that? Let me see if I still have any credit left after my computer purchase and I'll get back to you on that!

Folly posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.
Come on, this is BFC, I don't actually ever spend money ;)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, I was actually just skimming through that one. I built my own computer in college and am definitely thinking about doing it again, I've been getting free laptops from my work to use and just using those but now I'm quitting so I gotta get my own..

moana
Jun 18, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm planning on building one fairly soon as well. If you're not gaming you can save a good chunk of change since the haswell processors have integrated graphics that are completely acceptable. Assuming you're not playing 3D intensive games, you could get a really capable machine for ~$600-700 and put a nice chunk towards a really nice monitor/monitors etc.
Yeah, the most processing power I use is for Photoshop, so that sounds good. If you get yours picked out, could you message me the parts you ended up choosing? I'm probably not going to do mine until after all of the wedding stuff is done. Nocheez, which Asus did you get?

Speaking of wedding stuff, I have been spending more money!
$20 for a veil
$400 for the dress fitting and pressing (silk is fkin expensive to press out wrinkles! Keep in mind if you're buying online and having it shipped, future wedding people!) I hope to recoup some of the cost by reselling my dress afterward - it costs $5k new, so hopefully I don't spill barbecue sauce on it and can sell it to someone for a few hundred dollars. Not counting on it, though.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

CONGRATS!! That is the best possible scenario!

dreesemonkey posted:

Moana, I'm not sure if you'd be writing on this PC as well or not, but hanging your livelihood on a $400 laptop is not something I'd recommend.
Yeah, I use a Lenovo 430i now for work and the only thing I hate is the placement of the freaking Ctrl key. I'm leaning towards doing a desktop build myself for my photoshop stuff and Skype and general computering and then getting a cheapo laptop or tablet just for the "typing words in a coffeeshop" part of what I do. I backup my writing on the cloud in any case.

quote:

Yea I'm a few months away myself but I'll keep you posted, how's the house situation coming along?
Considering renting it on the cheap to a coworker, she is super nice and reliable and it would be better than leaving it empty. Honestly though I'm really focused on wedding poo poo now, and if we do sell it won't be until after the wedding anyway, so that's on the back burner.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Grumpwagon posted:

Not sure what program you use for writing, but consider a chromebook for the mobile part if it's compatible.
I use Scrivener to write, but I'll be asking my author friends what they recommend since avoiding any more carpal tunnel problems is a priority and some keyboards just feel like poo poo.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

BFC, for the first time in my life I literally have more money than I know what to do with.

I've brought in over four grand more this month than I normally do, due to this ridiculous situation where I quit my job and got severance.
:stare:
BUY SUM BITCERNS

moana
Jun 18, 2005

more wedding expenses ahoy!

Honeymoon to Maui: $588 for plane tickets for both of us thanks to my Alaska visa companion fare. Going to stay in my mom's house while she's visiting over here, so that'll be free.

Wedding rings: $150 for his, $200 for mine. The engagement ring ended up being $200 with the fitting added in.

Wedding invitations: $20 for the cards, $32 for the screenprinting screen

Dress fitting/pressing will end up being $400 which is ridiculous for a $450 dress but w/e. $15 for a veil.

Photographer is the main expense at $1000. Which is a lot, but we'll also get some band photos out of it, hoho!

My mom's friend agreed to act as the officiary for free. We'll be doing a beach potluck for the small family reception, then a cocktail party at night for the second (crazy balls) reception where we invite everyone.

With the venue fee ($273) we're now at $3328 for everything.

Things I haven't paid for yet: chairs, food and drinks for potluck, food and drinks for cocktail reception, suit/suit rental for the boy. Bouquet I think I'm making with a friend. Somebody tell me all the things I'm missing!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Anybody else have a problem logging into Mint the past couple days or is it just me?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Omne posted:

Here's a question: Let's say you have some amount of money that's unspoken for in your budget. You owe a decent amount on student loans, no other debt. You have a $5k emergency fund, no other savings other than 401k/traditional IRA. How would you, personally, break up that extra money between general savings and student loan payoff?
Depends on the interest rate, but I'd probably throw it all at the debt if I was secure in my job or had something else to fall back on.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Okay, finished tallying up our wedding and honeymoon costs for anyone who is interested/pricing out their own wedding:

I had budgeted 10k so I am glad we were under that! The morning wedding was a small 30-person family thing, then we had about 100 people total come to the receptions. We did the barbecue and cocktail reception at our house that night for friends who were working during the day. Nothing fancy, just a fun day with family and then a night of drinking and partying with friends. We ran into one problem where this company was at the venue we had rented (a park gazebo) when we got there. To apologize, they let us play bubble soccer with their equipment which was the coolest thing ever: we did groom vs. bride bubble soccer teams. I am glad we got the photographer we did, even though that was like 1/6th of our costs. Anyway, best day of my life, A++, would marry him again :)

moana fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 30, 2014

moana
Jun 18, 2005

tuyop posted:

I heard that you also quit your job?
Yes! I quit my salaried position to work on my writing full-time. As of this week, I'm at $75/hr for about 10 hours a week with the students I can't get rid of. In a very nice coincidence, my latest novel hit the top 50 on Amazon this week as well, the best I've ever ranked, so that makes me feel a bit better about quitting.

Cicero posted:

Congrats on the wedding and on having a Disney character named after you.
You can't imagine how good it feels to know that soon people will be able to pronounce your name correctly. Also I'm a princess! Everything is coming up Moana :)

moana
Jun 18, 2005

gently caress the USPS, I set up mail forwarding to my new address and just heard from my boss that my w2 came back marked "undeliverable, unable to forward." Which means all of my 1099s are lost in the ether too. I need to get my taxes done so I can get approved to buy a house and now I can't, and gently caress this poo poo forever. UGH

moana
Jun 18, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I think forwarding is only good for 30 days and then you have to renew it
No, that's holds. Forwarding is good for up to a year.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Inverse Icarus posted:

Are a lot of the people you work for/with still mailing you physical 1099s in 2015?
Amazon owes me a half dozen 1099s and I just emailed them - they say they can't send anything electronically. It loving sucks.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

asur posted:

Email isn't encrypted by default so I wouldn't be surprised if it's some sort of privacy violation to send tax forms via it. Might also be that companies don't want any potential liability.
Yeah, I used yearli to send a paper copy as well, but for reals? You can send both if it's that big a deal. It's 2015, people!

Also amazon just sent out emails that all their 1099s were wrong anyway, AHHHHHRHGHGHG

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Make sure your withholdings are correct, I guess? That sounds high to me and I am also from CA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I just filled out the standard form (W4?) for a single woman with no dependents, I can ask at work to adjust but I'm not really sure what grounds I'd have to do so... Genuinely, my employer is fantastic and I don't think they're doing anything weird with my hours or pay. I just happened to spend some time looking at the deductions and it seemed really, really high.
You don't need a reason to update your withholdings, it's not about your employer being good or bad. It's about whether or not the withholding is correct. At least go and ask what is on there so you can check to make sure it's right.