Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Something really bizzare just happened.

I saved my game just as a Goblin Invasion arrived. I just loaded it up to fight them off, only to realize my population had dropped from 100 to 6. I unpaused for a few seconds, then paused again. A solitary dwarven child remained.
Unpause for a few more seconds and my fortress falls.

100 Dwarves just up and vanished into the either after unpausing a save game.

I'm a version behind, but that was really weird. Time to update and start a new world I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yay! He "won" the "Election" - This was in no way a coup!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

With all the new stuff that's been added, I'd be willing to have a go at the next big succession fort project. Dunno if I would want to start it or not this time, because 1. I already have a LP in progress and 2. I'm still kind of leery from doing another DF succession LP due to the failure of Fogwall.

I did have a thought about doing a Librarians/Historians LP, and there is always the fabled adventure fortress LP the people come back to every few years.

This build seems to be stable enough now.

Was Fogwall that much of a failure? I just thought it went on for too long, and spent to much time trying to map a random game to a pre-planned story line. DF is about randomly generated stuff and improv, and doesn't work well if you try and force a story onto it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Spanish Matlock posted:

There were a couple of new people who didn't really know how to play the game or run an LP, one guy bailed and some others didn't exactly provide enthralling storylines. The loyalty cascade basically hosed everything and turned it into just endless "[guy] kills [guy] with [thing]" forever and ever and ever.

The "not knowing how to LP" is a common thing for community LP's, but I've never uderstood it. Everyone before them has done screenshots detailing the daily life of the fortress, but some people seem to think its okay just to go

"Hey guys, I've done summer now, and the dragon attack was Waaaaay cool. half the fortress is dead now." x 4 times the post up the save.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Great, so my oh-so clever idea of building the stockpiles right below the workshops is great for travel time, but terrible for pathing.

So my dwarves take less time to get to the item they want, but spend more time thinking about it.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hmm, I may have to abandon my current fort and try a entirely new layout system. Making it more like a series of small, self contained villages than I normally do.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

You might just be getting hopeful.

I love the idea though, being able to build yourself a house is one step to dwarf fortress survival mode. once you can woo yourself a partner. You will be able to set up a nice family life - as long as things like farming become automated like this blueprint system.

Then a Dragon will turn up, eat your significant other, and spawn a quest of epic revenge.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

markus_cz posted:

Have you ever heard of Grey Hunter?

No, but he sounds like an interesting robot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

The Elves are apparently the sweat of Ternocate.......

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Danny Glands posted:

I think if I'm to start another DF LP, I'll be stricter in enforcing time limits.

Yeah, if someone if producing a good update every other day or so, but only moving through a month at a time, that's fine, you just have to make sure the updates are regular.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, basically anything to make sure the person knows how to LP, these things can get killed by the "Playing now, A Ogre just ate Urist and the forts on fire, SOOOO COOOL" updates.

The Sub LP idea is great, as it allows people to who off the adventure game and the rest of the world, without having to hammer through ten pages of writing. People can forget that a picture tells a thousand words.
Wait, we're talking about Dwarf Fotress here. Maybe a hundred.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Sooooo.... Merchants arrived, and then my Trade depot just spontaneously combusted.

Those were some red hot deals!

Grey Hunter fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 25, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Fuubi posted:

Someone brought a bag of lava? Isn't that the bug that causes this?

That would be it I guess. I'd assumed that it had been fixed.
Silly me.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I have to agree that I tuned out of Fogwall when it was updates a thousand words long with nothing but combat log after combat log. The occasional one in interesting, a whole update of them. Nope!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Phi230 posted:

It would be cool as hell if you have artefacts stolen from your fortress you can save and hop in adventure mode to try and reclaim it

Yeah, this is one of the cool worldgen/adventure mode things - making Artifacts actually have value.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Lpzie posted:

A werebison visited my fortress and my dudes wrestled it to death. After the fight most of the squad had to be dragged into the hospital. I found it weird that the only body was a "g", a goblin, but I didn't think much of it. Then out of nowhere my best fighter becomes a werebison, strips all his clothes off, and starts to throw dwarves into the air and against trees (there's still a body 3 tiles up on the wall). I had to lock the base down, leaving the dwarves outside to fend for themselves. (The base is above ground since I got an aquifer and winters aren't cold enough to dig through them.) At some point in the battle an elf, the guardian of the forest, comes out and engages the werebison. But after a second decides better of it and hauls rear end out of there. As of this writing the base is still on lock down.

I'm not really sure what the gently caress happened but I like where it's going.

I've highlighted the key part of this for you. ;)

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

nielsm posted:

Native art displays!

One step closer to Museum fortress!

Fake edit - I also like the idea of placing the skull of every enemy killed by the fortress in one room.
Bonus points for making it the trade depot.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Yeah, this is one of those Toady moments that makes real sense for Adventure mode, and will take it a step closer to being a playable system.

I can't wait until you get a quest to find the Goblin spy (spy for the Goblins, may or may not be a goblin) and kill him.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Crap, now I want to do an adventure LP based on this concept. Shame it would be short.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

hailthefish posted:

I can see it now... assigning your dwarves to rotations working in the library to grind up their reading and writing skills...

Procedurally generated letters home. lets you get a real idea of what your dwarves are thinking.

"Dearest mother.
Blood! So much blood. Father is dead, my brothers are dead. the stench of their rotting corpses fills my nose.
I saw a ***masterwork**** table the other day, and I am still thinking about it.
I am happy. Hope goblins have not stolen to many children.

Yours. Urist. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

So in that blog he mentioned spreading evil, which is a cool way for you to have an effect on the world.
He mentions disaster forts, so I assume this means if something evil takes over your fort, it will then spread it's evil from there, allowing a future hero to quest into an old fort and defeat that evil.

Sounds like an amazing way to link fortress and adventure modes.