Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I don't know if its better, but I think mithril is basically adamantium light? As good as steel but not as heavy?

EDIT: Typo, yes even after 5 hours I will fix this typo.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Mar 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Has anyone actually had automatons survive world gen in masterwork? Or do they not appear in the civ screen? I don't think I've ever seen them show up on there.

Also necromancer fortress is pretty awesome. Finally I can have a bunch of pointless drones endlessly toil without them demanding things like food and drinks as they make the lives better of a select few.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Apparently raising all the dead in masterwork, the undead that are raised by doing that are hostile to you and friendly to orcs. So much for that fortress :what:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zereth posted:

As warlocks?

Don't they need like, pylons to control them?

Yeah as warlocks, only skeletons need the pylons. Things you raise are set as "undead" and you can't control them, almost like the zombies you raise with body parts. I guess "Opposed to life" is tagged to friendly to you, kill everything else with no control from you while "undead" is hostile to everything except things that are hostile to you. On top of that it also made people I put into a coffin to pop out of their coffins and go on a killing spree.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

AXE COP posted:

It seems kinda inconsistent. What I found is that former civilisation members (usually ghouls) would be hostile to you almost every time. I don't know about any of the other undead though.

Remember to kill your forgotten beast remnants before they start smashing everything!!

Well that could be the case, it was ghouls popping out of their coffins wrecking me from the inside as on the outside the orcs were peacefully sitting in front of my gate with the undead hoping I would open them.

I think my favorite thing with Warlock fortress is having complete control on your population. It seems you really don't need many warlocks in your fortress, mostly ghouls and skeletons. Set the pop cap to low, then you can just make more skeletons and ghouls at your leisure rather then taking the cap off in hopes of getting 10 more just to be greeted with a wave of 60 storming in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In continuing playing around with Warlock Fortress: Lost souls are so OP if done right. I keep one in my outer gate, let a group of enemies run in while my 4 bloodsteel sword equipped ghouls stand at the edge of the inner gate, the lost soul puts the entire group to sleep and my ghouls just run in and chop off the heads of everyone. Currently testing the effectiveness of putting them on my walls to put things that stand against the wall to sleep for my archers to pelt.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Getting stunned in Dwarf Fortress is a death sentence. If you're put to sleep, you can't dodge anything and thus get maimed horribly. If you're paralyzed, you can't dodge anything and you also can't even breathe so if something doesn't maim you you'll suffocate. So yeah I imagine any allied creature that can paralyze enemies in an AOE would be horrifically OP if your guys are immune to it.

Paralysis is pretty rare in vanilla DF actually. Aside from randomly generated monsters, I'm pretty sure only giant cave spiders can inflict it.

What actually breaks it even more is that since the wisp basically shoots out sleeping dust it has the effect of knocking people away and on their asses like they were involved in a collapse. So often enough they knock things into rives or off pits, or makes splitting up the enemy by shutting the gates even easier as it blows some of the horde out of the gates. I can be sure that ghouls are not immune to the spirits blasts, don't know about skeletons though. Usually they're behind the ghouls cause of how slow they move. But since skeletons aren't subject to the things living beings are I wouldn't be too surprised if they were.

And you can practically get infinite of them. Get the hoardmaster and you can sell big gems for a soul, just cut rocks and then make 5 of those gem rocks into a big gem and sell it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

So it turns out that putting a fire landmine in your fort's main entrance is a bad idea. But it sure was pretty!

If I may again talk about Warlock Fortress, its also like having the fire minions that warlocks summon cause they keep shooting fireball AoEs whenever something hostile runs by. Oh that sasquatch got a bit close and we are all grass. Here we have a !!Warlock!! and a !!Ghoul!!

Really can anyone give a good reason to keep them? They aren't really great for defensive means, I can only really see keeping them cause they can produce offspring if you get lucky and a male and female of the same species spawns.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I seem to be running into a consistent bug in Masterwork. Twice now I've had failed moods despite my warlocks getting what they need and begin working. I'll Q over the building and it'll be "Mr Warlock works furiously", yet when I T it there is no actual ingredients in the workshop.

Also good thing you can kill things with DF hack, or else you'd never get rid of failed mood skeletons.

EDIT: Also is there any fix to ghouls rotting forever? A ghoul will get his thumb sprained, rests at the hospital then stays there forever as my now legendary surgeon cuts off every bit of skin he has.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Without editting the raws? No. I'm gonna guess that the ghouls are designed to have permanently rotten skin, so when they end up in the hospital the doctor decides to remove it all. That can actually happen in vanilla DF if a dwarf has an unfortunate run in with a forgotten beast with miasma breath. If they contract a syndrome that causes their skin to permanently rot, dwarf doctors will "solve" the issue by carefully peeling off every inch of skin on their body.

Its drat annoying, its almost like designating a hospital activates their tissue rotting too. They can be fine before, then as soon as I make a hospital half my ghouls rest and have rotten skin. I'm considering just killing off all the ghouls and not bothering, just beeline to the thing that makes it so you can't lose control of skeletons and just have a skeleton and warlock fortress.

Also I figured out the problem with my moods, it seems my craftsman shop is cursed and anything that enters it immediately decays. I had a ghoul stuck in a loop getting bones, dropping them off, getting more bones, comes back to see that the bones he had earlier rotted away, repeat. Or when someone starts working and the item will rot and they're stuck making the item till they go insane.

loving rot man.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I've not played Masterwork, but in vanilla DF, the chief doctor won't perform diagnoses until a hospital is designated. So it's entirely possible that designating your hospital is exactly why you suddenly have a bunch of "patient appears to be rotting" diagnoses.

It could be that, normally I have the ghouls outside where the miasma doesn't start blasting everywhere.

Something neat though with Masterwork as is, even playing as dwarves they still retain the warlocks "butcher everything ever" attitude and actually butcher things that aren't simple minded quadrupeds. Waiting to see if I can have my dwarves butcher kobolds and eat their delicious meat.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Flesh Forge posted:

So yeah I'm trying Masterwork/Warlock Tower and I got the random name

KNIFERAPED

:stonk:

In one of my fortresses one of my squads was named something like the Forest of Molesting. Renamed to abo;ljgadf cause what the hell.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You can also make a bone bonesaw at the boneforge :haw:

My advice is to get rid of the ghouls in your fortress. I dislike them, besides them being made to always rot when wounded so they never leave hospitals, they seem to instantly become friends with other ghouls so a single one dies and a third of your fortress is immediately pissed off. Either kill them all off or make sure they never do any fighting. I don't think skeletons are effected by thoughts so feel free to send them to the slaughter.

Also don't make a meeting hall or statue garden. Each caste in your fortress seems to be coded to be friends with anyone else in their caste. Nothing like your entire workforce of skeletons partying cause they are all friends with each other.

And last of all, the warlock civs die out, after your year 1 migrant waves you wont get anymore. You're going to want to make sure you have like 6 or so warlocks or witches at the end of year 1 so you got a few to keep skeletons in line and to pick up some of the labors that skeletons can't learn skills in. And nobles if you care about that. You can make more skeletons and ghouls, you can't make more warlocks.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Only in year 1, the forced 2 migrant waves you always get. After that you can make skeletons at the necromantic shrine or the execution chamber, and you can get more ghouls at the graveyard, but you only get like a 5% chance of actually getting the ghoul or again use the execution chamber. No other ways to get warlocks outside of the 2 migrant waves, and you can only get vampires from the migrants or making your warlocks into vampires (And you can do the opposite).

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It may be your migrants, there is something that happens when migrants comes in that DF just doesn't like and crashes the game. I don't know why it happens, and you either have to just keep reloading and hoping your migrant wave comes in without crashing, which after that point you're golden.

If this is happening past your first year I don't know what it could be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm kinda surprised you can get cats as Warlocks, well assuming they're grave cats. When I embark with them they all bleed to death the second I unpause, and when migrants bring cats with them they bleed to death when they pop into the map.

Also one of my squads today was auto named "The Squirting Lessons" :stare:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Deki posted:

I did not know this, how the hell do you do that?

The stables I believe. Pasture them onto the stables and select the job for it. Its also great for pasturing indoor grazers, just make it a habit to peek over at the stables and once the brown arrows show up send a dwarf to feed them. 1 seed (?) will feed every animal on the stables. This may only be for dwarves though, I know necromancers don't get the stables.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Its worked for me, I'm sure there is a rare chance it can fail cause I think what happens is that it makes a smoke cloud that carries a syndrome that changes the skeleton, and sometimes the syndrome doesn't take effect?

Also drat skeletons always partying, even inviting guests without getting the OK first

:mad:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Their chaperones are very rude and just take use my bones without asking for permission. Also they are invisible and even while actively attacking people they never show up so I have to slayrace to make them stop.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I benched Necro Fort for now cause of a few bugs that cause infighting that is really annoying. Just randomly all of my mephits will gang up on a skeleton and sit there endlessly trying to kill him as their attacks bounce off him. Then one will throw a fireball in my meeting hall. It can't be a case of the skeleton going opposed to life and dfhack didn't make it non hostile fast enough cause I shouldn't even be losing control of a skeleton sitting in my meeting hall that not only has 2 pylons on each side of it but also all my idling warlocks.

Not just that though, but several times an enemy warlock will appear in an invaders army, and if any of my people actually kill that warlock it seems to have the same effect of ordering your dwarves to kill the dwarves of the dwarven trade caravan.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Lava can solve all of your problems quickly.

Got an annoying noble? Lava. Refuse stockpiles full? Lava. Useless invader gear? Lava. Pets breeding faster then your butchers can capture them and dice them up into delicious chunks? Lava.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
And turn off research. Imagine if you want to build a building you'll need to gather everything needed to make said building, and you have a chance of the game just going "Nah you aint building this" and you lose all your materials.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Removes them and the need to research the advance buildings. Want to make a magma crucible right out of the gate without having to spend time gathering the building materials, researching it, wait through each step hoping that you don't just fail and lose everything and have to either research again or mess with the library to make copy of the blueprints to make a second one? Now you can.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Met posted:

Does opening a hatch slow down travel time?

They certainly slow down the travel time of a falling dwarf :haw:

Actually I wonder if KO'd dwarves will fall again if the hatch was to open. Like someone falls down your stairway, hits the hatch, someone under him comes on up to recover him and you get the announcement of "Canceled recover wounded: Job item missing or lost" as the dwarf falls down another flight of stairs.

Leal fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 11, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

canepazzo posted:

It's no DF2014, but Meph at least released 5.0 Masterwork. Succubi!

In the succubi thread:

Meph posted:

Suggestions: Lace gloves, fingerless gloves. Knee-high boots. Highheels. Other clothing that might be considered erotic.

Yeah fingerless gloves sure get me tight in the pants. I hope assless chaps make it in.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm currently playing my first succubi fort in Masterwork. Went to set up my militia uniform and uh...

Lower body: Thong

I guess on the upside there isn't like 50 different buildings to build. In fact there is only half a page worth of workshops and furnaces. Though I wish they bothered writing out the manual for it, instead of the current "Fill in <info> here" that makes up 80% of it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archonex posted:

The reason being that skeletons move gently caress all slow (with the exception of the starting batch) and learn skills 50% slower without expensive upgrades to infuse bones that appear to be prone to fail. So if you want to get crazy powerful items it pays to have your ghouls be the crafters, with your skeletons doing all the menial labor. That way they learn stuff faster without having to blow souls on skeletal upgrades.

Also, don't the blocks disappear when placed after a bit? I recall a bit in the manual suggesting the furniture does at least. That might make for an interesting surprise a few months in game down the line. :v:

Wait did they change how warlocks work in Masterwork? I thought skeletons flat out got zero skill gains in anything that wasn't fighting skills, and the only skills ghouls would gain is whips and butchery? And maybe dodge and brawler? And the infusing skills can fail? I swore they always worked 100% or I got really lucky.

Also the summoned blocks stay once used in a building or in walls and floors.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archonex posted:

The other is a loyalty cascade issue with pets.

I'm really sad they haven't fixed this yet, its what caused me to abandon many warlock forts. Even better is if for whatever reason necromancers are in the enemy army and you send your ghouls or whatever to kill it, they get flagged as enemies to your civilization. Any your pets just randomly attacking someone in the meeting hall which causes a clustefuck as everyone runs and the rest of your pets attack that pet is just... they really need to fix it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Succubi fortress:

I... what? They weren't even part of my civ :psyduck: Moreover HOW was this done?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maybe if Bad Munki would update the OP already.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Whips are pretty much the lightsabers of dwarf fortress. A copper whip can kill a dwarf fully encased in steel.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ignimbrite posted:

e: uhhh I think my dwarfs just robbed a trade caravan of its cloth to put in the hospital :stare:

Nice to know this bug still exists :allears:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Late to the Masterwork talk (loving last minute call in) but if you do play Masterwork as the dwarves for the love of god disable the research workshop. Its terrible, have you ever thought "I want to make a building that requires several tedious to gather materials, but first I want to have to expend all those materials, have a chance to fail and completely lose them all for the privilege of building ONE of these buildings"? Just turn it off, you can then build the advanced buildings without worries of the RNG loving you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Really that is the only real solution, outside of understanding why the masons do what they do:

Masons only grab what is considered non economic stone, if you go to your z screen and go to the stone tab you can toggle what stones are usable and what aren't, so maybe the mason is ignoring the closer stone cause he can't actually use it. The other problem is that the stone that is so far away might actually be right under him. If there is a boulder 2 tiles away from a mason, but there is one directly on his tile, only 100 z levels down he will go for the one all the way in the basement first.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Next time with skeleton problems in regards to them going berserk or failed moods (why do they have moods, they can't even get become legendary after making an artficat) just look at them, then go into DFHack that you need to have running anyways and type "killitwith gravity".

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget with harder mining, unless they were taken out recently, added a random chance that digging a random spot will make 1 or possibly more iron wraiths spawn, which is pretty much a fort end if say it happened on the first tile of digging.

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 20, 2014

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Walls made out of constructed ice can contain magma. You're safe, if its constructed the material doesn't really matter outside of maybe value?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah I think people are going a bit too crazy in thinking its some weird bestiality fetish thing to control your animal's populations. Is it really that weird of a request to make animals stop breeding at a point?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Slime posted:

Fel moods would be hilarious.

Looking forward to when Toady adds infidelity and a dwarfette goes into a fell mood when her husband cheats on her, drags him to the butcher's workshop and cuts his dick off and makes an artifact out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

scamtank posted:

I'm pretty sure he modeled the whole fey mood thing on his personal experiences. I seem to remember him saying that somewhere.

Is it the same case for the fell moods?

Did... Did Toady murder someone and made something out of the body :ohdear:?