Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played DF in a few years but I'm interested in trying it again. Is adventure mode any fun? Or is everyone still playing fortress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
There is no timeline for the Steam release is there? Like not even a "end of 2019"?

I haven't played DF in years but I will pick up the Steam version day 1, I can't wait to dive back in.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't played DF in years but will probably jump back in soon. Can you have multiple fortresses in the same world?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Yes, although they won't be in your control concurrently; as you play in one fort, time will pass in the world (and you'll have to do a backlog of catchup simulation if/when you relinquish control of the fort, in that case). Also be prepared for the fact that dwarves are goofs and may not run a fortress in the same way you would while it's outside of your control.

So do you have to relinquish a fort to start another fort? Can you then later on go back to the old fort? But you can only ever have one active at a time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh that's really cool. I can't remember if that was possible back when I last played, but it always felt like a waste every time I wanted to start a new fort I had to regenerate a new world.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

I use a shitload of cage traps. It's easy enough to strip the inmates. No bodies means no bad thoughts.

Eventually I get tired of all the naked goblins and things making GBS threads up my cage/pasture interface and have to get rid of them. I've tried moving them all into a single cage near the edge of the map, hooking that cage to a lever, and just releasing them and hoping they leave, since the siege is over the should leave, but sometimes they just get stuck hanging around. Or throw them into pits, but mass pitting is complicated and even a real deep pit doesn't kill 100%. If there are invaders and animals and monsters they will fight and mostly kill each other off, but then there's corpses to deal with again. You can toss them into a shooting gallery and let the archers train, but make sure the archers can't get in when they run out of arrows and want to bash things with crossbows. Oh, and make sure the shooting gallery is obscured by walls so passing civilians don't freak out.

So one way or another they are still a pain to deal with, but cage traps give you the luxury of time to deal with it (unlike corpses).

Sometimes I catch myself reading Dwarf Fortress stories half way thru and think about how insane all of this must sound for anyone unfamiliar with it. Like in the 90s there would be a NBC news segment quoting this post and how video games are poisoning the youths.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Give me a local news segment of a reporter reading horrifying crimes against dwarfmanity well screencaps of ASCII dwarves gouging the eyes out of goblins and throwing bodies down 50 Z level wells plays in the background.

Popete fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 5, 2019

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has Tarn ever considered writing a DF album cause I bet he could make some money that way.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This moneys burning a hole in my pocket

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The coins literally bite you.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takes No Damage posted:

Mount Gox is a real place on every map with extra hard caverns underneath.

And it will randomly disappear from the world.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How broken is the newest version? I was gonna wait until Steam release to jump back in but I'm getting antsy and there is no timeline for when that'll happen.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

:five:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I hope you can toggle graphics on/off. I think text art lets your mind visualize things in it's own way and adds to the experience. DF-like games that were have simplified graphics never appeal to me because it just limits your creativity so much.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I was fine with Steam Fortress shipping with a tileset, but I didn't expect it to be, y'know, actually good.

This almost an entirely new game.

I just hope there is an option for "classic" DF with the ASCII tileset.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zesty posted:

The base game will still be updated and freely available on Bay12games.com

Yeah but I'd like to just have it all consolidated under one executable on Steam. I'm gonna buy the Steam version either way, but I'd like to have the choice to play with graphics or the ASCII tileset. I don't think it would be difficult to have that option.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am so hype for Steam Dwarf Fortress. I haven't played in probably 5+ years and it's looking incredible.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Toady ain't no toady.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has there been any confirmation if the Steam version will have a "classic ASCII" graphic mode? Like I imagine once I try the new graphic set I won't wanna go back but there is something mesmerizing about the ASCII tiles that I hope it's preserved and can still be used on Steam.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From the latest Future of the Fortress post on bay12.

quote:

I'm curious why monthly donations end in odd cents. I'm thinking exchange rates from foreign currencies?

Toady posted:

Yeah, the fees from Paypal can make them odd. The exchange rate on Paypal can make them odd. The Patreon cut/fees can make them odd. Also, some people give odd numbers as well. 13.37 is popular as you can imagine, and back when it was showing cents on the end of the Patreon number, somebody would very very often (like every few days, different person every time) change their amount so that the displayed total ended in 69 cents. It wouldn't surprise me if the only reason Patreon removed the cents from the display was to curtail this practice, ha ha. Changing the whole dollar amount to end in 69 is a heavier proposition.

Alright Goons, reveal yourself.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've said this a number of times but I really hope the Steam version has a "classic" ASCII graphic set. My only minor worry is that graphics can sometimes take away from the minds imagination, but I'm still very stoked for the Steam version.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pickled Tink posted:

In one of the DF talks Toady mentioned that Steam insisted that the ascii version be available too, so it will be.

That's good to hear. I figure it's probably a pretty trivial feature to add to the Steam version considering they are going to maintain the free version on the bay12 site.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That looks even better than I expected. They're really putting a lot of thought into the UI.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I last attempted to play Dwarf Fortress seriously probably 10 years ago now. Maybe it's because there's so many games that have copied it or I've watched enough Kruggsmash videos but picking it back up recently it's really not that bad to get into. When I last played I remembered it being really difficult and unless you knew what you were doing you were bound to be invaded by a massive goblin horde in your first year or 2. Seems like huge invasions are scaled back now at the start.

So did the newest patch make a dent in the depression spiral problem for long running forts?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My first migrant wave I got 4 dwarves, 3 of them children. I swear this game wants you to turn into a murdering psychopath.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So some elven merchants came to my fort and one of them apparently slipped and fell into a small lake and all their goods are laying on the shore. My dwarves immediately started collecting all these items which I think effected my fort value enough that the migrant wave that hit me shortly afterwards was 30+ dwarves. Are there any repercussions to taking these merchant goods? The other elf merchant made it to my trade depot but it doesn't look like they have anything to actually trade so I offered them a few of their own things back.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So the elf caravan is stuck at my trade depot. The one elf is still stuck at the bottom of a small lake, I tried to dig a ramp down to them to see if they would climb out but they are just stuck there seemingly alive and fine. I got the message that the caravan was packing up to leave but the other elf is just hanging out at my trade depot still.

Anyone know how I can fix this?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cardiovorax posted:

Just pave over the lake and forget the elf is there. The problem will solve itself eventually.

That's the weird thing, I'd have thought they'd drown by now but they're just chilling out down there. Seems like their trade partner won't leave cause they are still alive but idk if that's how it works.

I still don't understand how they fell down there, do creatures just randomly lose their footing and fall into water sometimes?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The fix for stuck traders appears to be deleting your trade depot. Both elf's took after that.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You have them put up the memorials before filling the cistern, duh.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How does water work? Is it's non-compressibility modelled when falling at high speed?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress books would make fantastic material for assignments in a creative writing class.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I thought recent updates toned down dwarven tantrum spirals? Is that not the case?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Two dwarfs arguing over how many days a week you lift if you lift every other day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone seen confirmation that the Steam version will have an ASCII mode as well?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Appoda posted:

I was under the impression that the steam version's UI updates would mean the new look is inherent to those changes, but I think it's been stated that the "regular version" of Dwarf Fortress will continue to be updated and free to download as always. If not, then I'm sure someone out there will do the work to get it ascii-ified.

Yeah I guess the Steam version will be different enough that a lot of the UI changes won't port over to the ASCII version easily. Still hoping it's just an option in the Steam version I can check that switches it over to the old ASCII version even if it means having two copies installed but accessible under 1 launcher.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Alright nobody watch that video until April 21st.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress 2022

Answer the call

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hasn't Tarn said this is basically his lifes work and he doesn't envision a 1.0 release for decades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm curios if Tarn & Adam realize they're probably going to become suddenly wealthy upon Steam release. He probably has an idea considering he's taking in a decent amount of money via Patreon already but I feel like there is going to be a huge out pouring of support for the Steam release even among people who don't play a lot of DF or have always been curious to try it. It's just been so influential and is looked upon by everyone as a seminal game, Tarn seems like a good dude so I think it's well deserved.