Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
periodic reminder you can grab release from my mirror (http://kremlin.cc/dfmirror/) if the main site is too slow.

Keep up the stories! These are amazing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm going to point you to Cacame Awemedinade Monípalóthi, the Immortal Onslaught.

Cacame ascended to the rank of Elf King of the Dwarves. The story of his rise to glory has been chronicled in an epic 60+ page thread on the Bay 12 Games forum that includes original artwork, economic discussions, raw edits, world gen randomness, Chuck Norris jokes, Battletech references, and a Cacame-themed megaproject.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Cacame_Awemedinade

"The Creation of Ferns" dwarven civilization and Cacame's former "Field of Kindling" elven civilization were at war for many years, with the dwarves systematically defeating the elves for decades.

In 90, the dwarves conquered his home city of "Oily Typhoon" and placed a new dwarven governor in charge.
Cacame was 7 at the time, and 5 years later, at the ripe old age of 12, he became a Guard.
Two years later, an elven attack from the Field of Kindling's city of Fish of Magic injured him in the lower body and killed his wife Nemo Ruyavaiyici (who was then eaten by Amoya Themarifa, the elf who killed her).
Maddened with grief, Cacame set off to the nearest front as soon he healed enough to fight.

During his first combat he took up his fallen commander's legendary warhammer and slew many elves with it, being noted as the battle's fiercest and deadliest warrior; for his deeds, the dwarves' second-in-command acknowledged that Cacame would best put the warhammer to use and should keep it.

Two years after that, in 99, the Battle of Both Kings was fought.
In this battle Cacame struck down King Nithe of Field of Kindling (who was finished off by another dwarf called Sibrek Handpages, though); however the other king slain was the dwarven king himself.

The dwarves decided that Cacame, by now dubbed "The Immortal Onslaught", should take over as their king.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 14, 2017

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
This is very useful and organised information. Thanks!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Zesty posted:

Can you check out any time you like?

Yes, but you can never leave!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Johnny Joestar posted:

yeah but there's a lot of things i'd rather see pouring out of every square inch of ground than endless water

Like soon-to-be-on-fire crude oil? :)

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Do you mean Atomsmashing? Yes, though if you make a bridge out of flammable wood or melts-at-low-temperatures copper or lead then anything hot enough will melt the bridge instead. Some things are unsmashable and will break the bridge instead.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
It is terrifying.

I googled "Dwarf Fortress doesn't care about anything anymore" and got the exact dwarf quote I was looking for as the 2nd result.
The first result was a dutch suicide prevention hotline.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Would you like a side of pigtail socks with that?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Goodpancakes posted:

How do I de stress my dwarves using Therapist or whatever. I forgot to make a refuse stockpile and my tavern was full of dead rodent corpses. I spent an my time building a giant granite cathedral instead of doing stress management

Dwarves can be replaced, but cathedrals are forever!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Excelzior posted:

pretty sure the dungeon master was doing the Helicopter Dick continuously while out and about the fortress

Telsa Cola posted:

Friendly reminder that when liquid moves diagonally it looses pressure

Never change, Something Awful, never change.

Edit for some more content:

https://funnyjunk.com/channel/dwarf-fortress/Huge+dwarf+fortress+comic+dump+/enczLra/

Economy (barrel of cats!)

Bugs (The dwarf word for "dagger" is "Urist".)

Technically correct and therefore the best correct.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 16, 2020

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Aquifers do not create water in diagonal tiles, but do create water in open tiles directly below them. Therefore, you will want to dig two z-levels below the lowest aquifer layer before continuing with your fortress.

Does your room have (light) aquifer above it?

Also, Sankis? Like, Boatmurdered Sankis? Honored to meet you!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
PMush Perfect: I don't see how. The water just appears on the floor below. It does not fall or "move". I'm not great at mist generators, but I think mist is only caused by moving water.

Sankis: I'm not sure. I've never tried. It sounds like it should work. But the more aquifer you dig out, the more aquifer-adjacent surfaces you create for more water to appear from.'
Edit, the water is appearing from the floor of the layer above the room. Not from the floor on the layer that has the room with a flooding problem.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jun 17, 2020

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
PMush Perfect, that should work. I have never tried it, but that is indeed 1/7 water falling 1 level so it should generate mist.
Reading the wiki makes it look exactly like a stack generator for mist but without the moving parts. It might also work as a shower.
I think the important part is that the aquifer does not make water. Empty space makes the water but can only do so adjacent to an aquifer*.

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mist#Stack_generator

*would the lowest layer on your drawing generate water to? It is below the aquifer floor of the top layer but not adjacent.

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jun 17, 2020

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Dwarves in a hospital bed need to be fed and watered. Do you have anyone with the patient care task active? Make sure they have nothing better to.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
No, it won't. The semi-molten rock will burn the item from reality itself, including people's memories.

"How can mirrors be real, if our eyes aren't real." -Jaden Urist Smith.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
For those who had missed it;

Splatterface is back for season 2!

Brought to you by Kruggsmash.

And sponsored by "Melbil's Monarch Butterfly Brains".

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0kK8AFHCcHN4hMZ21q4Gl07

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Can reptiles get lycantropy?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

palindrome posted:

"The wizard's guide to self control" is still my favorite, right there in the OP. START YOUR DAY WITH RAGE isn't bad though, lol.

"The wizard's guide to self control"
"Don't."

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

:airquote: "Communing with Gogol". Is that what the beardlings are calling it these days? :glomp:

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Do you have a place for the gathered plants to go?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Is their alert status set to be active?
I think the Move command only applies to On-duty squads.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I too need a DF gang tag

Same, but how many gangtags can one have?

Edit, DF wiki:
Baby stage ends a year after birth.
Child at: 1
Adult at: 12
Max age: 150-170

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 4, 2022

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Kruggsmash has a stream up and will start as soon as he is able to strike the earth!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sByxI7UX5-g

Gangtags looking nice! All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. Have we picked a definitive one?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Donnerberg posted:

Going in mostly blind apart from a short listen of boatmurdered narrated. I know that I should dig and avoid elephants.

It wasn't the elephants that destroyed Boatmurdered. It was the (giant) butterflies!
Also the fire.
And the elephants.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

How does the gang tag work? we post a neat story and request one?

Just request one.
If possible, can my BLM and Ukraine gangtags be removed? I need less politics and real life stuff in my life.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

GruntyThrst posted:

Also I've forgotten the names of all these jobs. What's a stonecutter do?
Stonecarver - furniture I think
Engraver - smooths and engraves
Stone crafter - stone crafts
stonecutter - ????

I'm not sure what you mean, try looking here:
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor

Stoneworkers (Engraver, Mason)

Engraver is the skill used for smoothing and engraving walls and floors, carving walls into fortifications, carving minecart tracks into floors and ramps and engraving memorial slabs.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Engraver

Masons are responsible for creating furniture and other objects out of stone in a mason's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mason

Craftsdwarf (Many jobs including Stone crafter)

Stone crafter - goods such as mugs, crafts, instruments, and toys as well as short swords, jugs, pots, nest boxes and hives from loose stone at a craftsdwarf's workshop.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stone_crafter

RBA-Wintrow fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 6, 2022

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

sebmojo posted:

For the gang tag I'm asking people to post a story about their fort because I love dwarf stories, doesn't have to be elaborate

I don't have a story about playing, but I do about reading a Let's play. When I was recovering from surgery in 2010 I binged a bunch of DF Let's play's. My family wondered how much painkillers I was on as I seemed to be reading the annotated version of The Matrix. I tried to explain, but I really was on some heavy stuff so it didn't make much sense when I tried to explain what was going on in the screenshots, or that there where a bunch of people playing a game together for the amusement of others.

The Let's play was Nist Akath. Blood and Bones. And I still have the (no longer working) link saved in my favourites.
I just found that some mad dwarf archived it all:
http://aaron.acephalo.us/nist-akath/elizar/

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

DaysBefore posted:

Okay weird, I'm definitely making barrels. But the options for making booze are unavailable because I lack a food storage item. But I also have a chef dwarf churning out hundreds of meals so maybe he's sucking up all the barrels.

7 8 pages ago, sorry, but you don't have private messages.
Could it be a burrow issue where the brewer can't reach any barrels?
Is there a stockpile the brewer can place barrels with booze in? (It should default to clutter the workshop if not.)

A 9 year old reddit comment with the same issue says:
Most likely it's because only one barrel can be used at a time by a single stockpile. Only one job being generated = only one dwarf collecting food in a barrel = food production outpacing food storage. The best thing to do is to split the single stockpile into many smaller ones; that way, more than one dwarf will be hauling food at a time.

Maybe a kind Goon who is not at work right now can screenshot their booze production setup?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
A previous title of this very thread referenced the catsplosion that happens if you don't geld your cats. They breed fast! And you need a few at least to keep the vermin down.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

chainchompz posted:

No, no don't geld them: periodically slaughter them for the free meat and leather.

Free meat, leather and trauma for the dwarves! Cats adopt people and that's a good way to start a tantrum spiral for your, admittedly well fed and dressed, dwarves.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

deep dish peat moss posted:

Okay, I just found out that the reason I missed so many caravans is because they were falling into the river and dying. I didn't even know they died, so I never memorialized them and now they're coming back as ghosts to haunt me :(

Is there anything I can do to retrieve all their goods and corpses that are on the bottom of a 2 tile deep river at the bottom of a waterfall? and how can I get rid of the ghosts?

Make a slab at the stone workshop, then engrave the slab to the baby merchants and bodyguards at the same shop, then install the slab somewhere.
Knowing they are remembered gives the ghosts peace.

As for the goods. You know what game this is...
Megaproject time! Dam and divert the river! Not into your fort though.
Beware of carp!

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

canepazzo posted:

Anyone else running out of seeds pretty fast? I have a plump helmet plot year round and only use them for brewing, yet 2-3 years in I have barely any spawn to plant in a 5x5 plot and no leftovers.

I remembe in the OG just having a single plump helmet plot you'd swim in spawn by year 2.

Your cook prefers to use seeds in cooking?

Labor (y) -> Kitchen
Or go to the labor menu in the bottom left and then the "kitchen" tab. Forbid seeds.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Gosts posted:

Also, the merchants bought all my turtle shell earrings, but are stuck, won't finish packing and leaving, and won't report my wealth to the homeland. Therefore, I am not getting new migrants. We will be at 18-19-20 pop (babies born occasionally) for a long, long, long time.

Also they forgot to pack the turtle shells.

DEEPLANCE™.

Cool story bro. :)

Regarding your trade troubles. The traders where likely waiting for someone to talk to them but

Gosts posted:

do you know how long i haven't been able to have a bookkeeper or broker because I had NOBODY to do non-core labor

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trading

Trading flowchart

Turn your leader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Conduct meetings with the diplomat.

Turn your trader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Trade.

Turn trader's and leader's labors back on.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Hawke posted:

"The fortress attracted no new migrants this year" please it's been almost two years since the last wave and I'm still getting dwarf caravans. I need more meat for the meat grinder.

The dwarven caravan from your home civilization influences the number of immigrants received (if the caravan leaves intact).
So have them report back that they sold a bunch of worthless crap and you payed them in a small fortune worth of rock mugs.
Migrants will think your fortress is doing great to be wasting valuables! So they'll come.
Rock mugs are light, so the traders can carry it all with them. And they are easy to make in high quality and volume.

There's no point in trying to pay in solid gold statues if the merchant can't carry it home.
If your trade depot has no values for the worth of items, then ensuring that a dwarf with the Appraiser skill is assigned as the trader will cause the values to appear.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

fermun posted:

I bought some animals from the caravan but they are in cages and I can't figure out how to release them. Any ideas?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Captainicus posted:

Does anyone know what might be giving me popups for 'no yarn cloth' when there's a pile of 20ish masterwork sheep cloth underneath my loom? As far as I understand it, silk clothing = cloth made from webs, cloth clothing = cloth made from plants, yarn clothing = cloth made from animal product, but my clothier doesn't seem to be able to make anything.

I think we need more info than this.
Is the "pile" all one stack? Could it be "in use" and so not available to other dwarves?
Is it a burrow issue?
Can you set up a stockpile for it and see if it gets moved?
Are you sure you have yarn cloth and not thread?

I'm brainstorming but all I can come up with is that 'no yarn cloth' means 'no yarn cloth I'm allowed to use'. So it's claimed by another dwarf or in an inaccessible location to the dwarf that needs it.

Random though: Does your dwarf have hands?

a7m2 posted:

One of my dwarves got both of his hands mangled so now he's dying of thirst because he keeps dropping his mugs :(

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Socks are VERY important. Especially !socks!
Must have good socks. Can't do without.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

shame on an IGA posted:

Someone posted about this a few pages ago and I'm having the same issue: a ton of cooked products and empty barrels are building up in my kitchen with an empty food stockpile right next to it.

Masterwork roasts are rotting because no one is putting them in barrels and putting them away.

None of the stockpiles or workshops have any pull from or give to restrictions and there are no burrows designated anywhere in my fort.

What gives?

A screenshot or schematic might help. But maybe not.

Is the stockpile accessible for pathing? Has anyone ever been able to use it?

Is the stockpile outside a burrow so dwarves are forbidden from walking to it? Answered, no.

What happens if you make a new small stockpile? And a new kitchen?

Do any dwarves have the hauling job? Are they always busy with other, equal or higher prio jobs? Like hauling stone.
The likely explanation is that the job to move food is assigned to someone who is always busy. So they keep the job off the tasks list, yet never get to doing it. Blocking the barrel/stockpile/kitchen. Remember 1 stack of things can only be assigned to 1 dwarf at a time.

Personal note; stop using barrels, it's a waste of metal or wood. Make rock pots instead. They're heavy, but easier to make and very, very few jobs require a barrel to work.

Is the outside refuse hauling option on? Maybe the kitchen is claimed by a job to move refuse outside but that's outside the allowed burrow?

Do you have "Dwarves ignore food" option set.
Set it to "Dwarves gather food" by pressing o->r, so meals generate hauling jobs.

A stockpile that allows containers can only "give" to a stockpile that also allows containers. If you try to link stockpiles and "give" from a container stockpile to a non-container stockpile, the food will never be moved out of the container.

The wiki mentions something about some stacks not fitting in a barrel:
Now go back to the kitchen and add a Prepare Lavish Meal job. Four different types of meat will be gathered and turned into a twenty serving "roast". Note that a 20 item stack‡ like that is too big to fit inside of a barrel, so it will be placed directly onto the floor.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Stonegears/Cooking

Hihohe posted:

Do dwarves have to be completely covered or does it inly have to be a shirt, pants, and shoes maybe?

The primary reason civilians wear clothing is for modesty. Some dwarves will also need to be extravagant, so clothing with quality or decoration bonuses will satisfy that. A particular benefit of footwear is to keep your dwarves from stepping barefoot in contaminants that can be dangerous.
Adult dwarves get unhappy thoughts if they are naked, or wearing tattered clothes. Babies do not wear clothes, but all adult and child dwarves will claim and wear clothing automatically, but will not automatically make any if none is available. Dwarves may incur several different clothing-related bad thoughts from:

Total nudity
Missing upper body covering (shirt, vest, dress, robe, cloak, or coat)
Missing lower body covering (trousers or skirts)
Missing footwear (shoes, sandals, or socks)
Wearing tattered clothing (items with "X" or "XX" wear, but not "x" wear)
Clothing thoughts are quite strong, and stack with each other. Tantrum spirals are likely unless you produce sufficient footwear, upper-, and lower-body-covering items. Thankfully, armor can also prevent most negative thoughts, and has the advantage of not being subject to wear, in addition to affording better protection.

Socks are absolutely critical, especially the ones that are on fire. Dwarves are prone to charging goblins to salvage the socks from a fallen comrade. As is right and proper.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

sloppy portmanteau posted:

What am I doing wrong with this work order for drinks?

I have 192 drinks but it keeps creating an order at the still to make more. Are they not AND conditions so as soon as there are enough barrels or something the work order starts, even if I have enough drinks?

Edit: Also can I somehow see what resources are available at my embark location? I just let the tutorial pick and I'm not finding any coal. I generated a world with "frequent" resources.

For that particular condition line, It may be that all empty barrels, pots, bins and bags count. I'm not sure about the bags though. Do backpacks count? Buckets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I had someone die in my tavern, mysteriously drained of blood and 38 witnesses fingered a trader as the culprit. So I interrogated and convicted and my guard captain beat his rear end and put him in the hospital. When the vampire trader recovered he was free to go? His next victim was in the temple in front of 29 witnesses. Same thing, I convict him and the guard whips his rear end and he’s just set loose.

I had a dwarf get a solid month in a cage for starting a barfight but this nosferatu can just murder people in broad daylight with dozens of witnesses and all he gets is a literal slap?

Thread moves fast!

Dwarven sentencing comes in 2 forms.
Prison time drinking only water is the merciful punishment. Dwarves live a long time and if your prison is fancy enough they wont be upset about a few years in prison without booze. "Admired a gold chain (around my wrists) lately".

For serious offences there's hammer strikes. The Hammerer is basically an executioner. Being sentenced to a beating from a warhammer, delivered by a skilled Hammerer means getting your teeth yeeted through the back of your skull. At best the dwarf will be crippled for life.
Therefore it is wise to ensure that any criminals scheduled for beating are fitted with a metal helm as quickly as possible (if you want them to live). Even without headstrikes, beatings can easily result in broken bones or organ damage, making prison sentences a less risky option.

If a vampire is caught feeding on another dwarf, even if the victim survives, it is still considered a murder. The vampire will typically make a false report, to try to frame another dwarf. Witnesses will also sometimes make false reports to try and frame dwarves they have grudges against.

Your vampire is a near indestructible undead monster that only looks like a dwarf. He can take a beating (especially from an unskilled hammerer that uses fists.) He laughs it off and goes to murder again, in full view of witnesses. What are you gonna do? Beat him some more?