Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
That masterwork blurb is pretty out of date. There's a whole new GUI for setting the mod up, the number of playable races has swollen from 2 to 5 (!!) and there's all kinds of insane crap like automatic factory chains, programmable catapults and magma cannons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I used to swear by ASCII then I actually used a tile set and realised how much better they are than squiggles and dashes.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Or just turn on fastdwarf and stop giving a poo poo! (don't do this if you have a fishery or you'll rapidly accumulate 1000+ raw fish)

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Do they really siege you just from trade offers? I thought it was tied to tree felling.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Leal posted:

Apparently raising all the dead in masterwork, the undead that are raised by doing that are hostile to you and friendly to orcs. So much for that fortress :what:

It seems kinda inconsistent. What I found is that former civilisation members (usually ghouls) would be hostile to you almost every time. I don't know about any of the other undead though.

Remember to kill your forgotten beast remnants before they start smashing everything!!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The Gnome race for masterwork is getting better and better, dang. The last couple of updates added:

- Cage guns. Point at an enemy and shoot, and they'll be trapped in it to do whatever with. Yes, this is essentially a pokeball.
- You can now fully armour any animal. More importantly, you can mount turrets on that armour. Want a snake that shoots webs? Wolves that breathe fire? Sharks with laser beams slade cannons on their heads? All this and more can be yours~
- Also you can rig animals up with suicide vests. Make literal catsplosions!

The dude behind it has been making some really innovative stuff and updates frequently so you should definitely check it out if you haven't already.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The coolest thing Masterwork added was the gemforge. Make a sword out of pure ruby!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Worse, what actually happens is you fall on top of the spear and try to parry the entire planet.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Internet Kraken posted:

I will have kittens butchered the second they are born though.

Wait until they're fully grown, you get more leather and meat from them that way.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
My garbage laptop has the same problem, except it's normally around 150-200 years. Just end history gen early, it doesn't change too much.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Building drop traps implies your fortress defence isn't simply a corridor of Automatic Factories with their input squares set to 'accept all'.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Normally I'd say turn off Slag except if you are on a map with no sand, there is an option in the Slag Pit to melt slag into sand which is super useful.

Or if you're a big cheating baby like me who plays with fastdwarf 1 0 on all the time. Slag just disappears in no time!

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Dunno why you'd turn ore processing off, it's completely automatic and gets you like 3-4x the usual amount from each piece of ore.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Invaders can climb and jump now so that by itself is going to go a long way to shaking up fortress designs. That plus being able to give the AI control of your fort are going to do more than people think.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Invaders will draw from any part of the world, including dead entities, gods, your own fort; sometimes a siege will come and half your dwarves will teleport across the map to join their camp which is also full of nothing but bones, vampires, and deities.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
You can sever people's necks without decapitating them. 10/10

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I've had cloven asunder but I can't remember when exactly. Something like when I was slashing somebody's torso.

Splits into gore also happens when you gouge eyes.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Yah necks are really weird. I have punched someone's neck and throat into lumps of gore with no apparent ill effects other than some pain.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

ProfessorGroove posted:

Are there still mummies that instantly curse you when they see you in adventure mode?

I've run across a few mummies but they didn't curse me, just summon dozens of skeletons and then kick the poo poo out of me.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Selklubber posted:

I just wish that somewhere in the two years between releases he would go on a bug fixing spree. Take a break from the new stuff, just fix old bugs. He would probably be distracted by something and start simulating creatures nightmares.

But that's literally what he's been doing for the last three weeks

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
Warlocks have the easiest time because they can mass produce cheap blocks for free. Sit one warlock in the ethereal gate with Summon Ethereal Brick (in the colour of your choice) on repeat and you can basically construct anything you want.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Gus Hobbleton posted:

All this is making me think I need to mod in a custom reaction that lets me build a road out of skulls.

I'm pretty sure Masterwork has a workshop dedicated to making poo poo out of bones, so you could have a road made entirely from skull blocks if you wanted.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Bad Munki posted:

Fall rolled around, the dwarven caravan showed up, and I got the message, "No outpost liaison? That's curious..." or something to that effect. What gives? Is there no mountainhome or something?

That usually means you're the last remnant of a dead civilisation, yes. Watch out for your pump operator suddenly becoming king and demanding 30 pimp rooms.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Tiler Kiwi posted:

1. make sure he has the labor set
2. make sure he can actually reach the workshop

If you think you've done both and its still not doing anything, check again. I don't recall any other potential cause.

Not that it applies in this case but the workshop could be set to only allow carpenters above his skill level.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Glory of Arioch posted:

So I turned on fastdwarf in dfhack

dats a lotta fish

Man I love fastdwarf for actually getting poo poo done in Masterwork but the gargantuan piles of fish always make me feel like a cheater.

That and everyone moving 10x faster in combat making all fights trivial. But maybe that's fixed now that combat and movement speed are seperate.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

El Disco posted:

I am playing Masterwork, so I don't know if it's that or a regular DF thing. The dwarf in question freaked out and dodged away from a small monkey straight into my spike pit. Missed the spikes but broke a number of bones.

Probably a masterwork thing since a lot of the systems make use of the syndrome mechanic to function.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

Strudel Man posted:

Nothing cowardice-specific, sadly. He was fairly badly injured in an encounter with an orcish thief. I guess the coward bit could be a masterwork addition as well, but it's difficult to tell.

This came up earlier in the thread and yeah I'm pretty sure it's a masterwork thing since so many of its mechanics rely on using the syndrome system.