Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

The OP is too short for my liking. It doesn't even take up the entire first page!

But seriously, great job on the post. Have fun rewriting it in a few weeks/months/years when the new update comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Okimin posted:

Has anyone made like some screenshot guide for dealing with aquafiers? I was trying to follow the wiki but they had some sideways view and I couldn't wrap my head around it, and I felt my pumping was less than efficient.

I figured most people just turn them off. I could be wrong, but they seem like a challenge that gets in the way for no real payoff.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Exactly, it's like Logan's Run. Dropping dwarves in lava is very important for efficiency. And you've just given me a great idea for a fort: outdoor, jungle, step pyramids. For some reason I really enjoy building remakes of ancient civilizations in this, I already made a 200 dwarf Egyptian style city with a great pyramid and lashers to keep the unruly dwarves in line.

Try Ziggurats. Then you can perform bloody Elf sacrifices on the top of them to Armok.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Make sure you don't atom smash your junk. It just permanently hides the items, and they will still cause lag.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

scamtank posted:

Two paragraph devlogs are usually good news.

And so it was!

drat, that Dev list is getting short. Maybe only ten more years until release, if we're lucky!

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I wonder if/how one will hook one's own fort up to the underground caravan network?

Likely in the same way you do now - by blocking off all possible map edges with drawbridges.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Tunicate posted:

The game looks cool, but it won't start for me, and I'm getting this error

Any idea wassup with it?

What are you using? The vanilla client? LNP? The Masterwork launcher? Are you on a Mac or a PC?

vvvvv Ahh, never mind,then.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 24, 2014

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Hesh Ballantine posted:

Oh you bastards and your wonderfully laid out megathread with bundled mods and tilesets. I'm in, Let's see how long I can keep "Tubecrafts" afloat. Strike the earth!

With that sort of name, your only export to the mountainhomes should be pipe sections. Would make for a fun challenge fortress.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Nietzschean posted:

Use the bones of your slain enemies to make armor and weapons with which to slay the next batch. Is it possible to use bone as a weapon material (other than bolts) in Masterwork? Building an hall of halberd weapon traps and serrated disk traps made of various sentient creature bones seems simultaneously :psydwarf: :black101: :unsmigghh:

You can, in fact, make bone traps and such at the boneyard, though they deal an insignificant amount of damage.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dwarven Space Program?

How many z levels can you propell your dwarf?

If you launch them too far, you'll hit Space Station 13.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

I don't understand how it was broken. :confused:

He fixed the fact that the daughter's name was 'Devlog', obviously.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Suicide Sam E. posted:

Welcome to Frillwall!

Kobold Evisceration

This is a bad day for Krubeelbis, Kobold Thief.

TL;DR: Those animals the elves bring are more than just food and happy thoughts for a few dwarves. They are also great for hostile stragglers and low-risk entertainment.

This is why I always pasture all of my war-trainable animals (and train them) in my courtyard. Who needs a military when your farm animals can decimate an entire siege singlehandedly?

Something tells me that you would like Masterwork Gnome Fortress.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Just try it. You won't be sorry. Just make sure to play dwarves a few times before you try any other race, and skim through the manual to see what it changes.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

canepazzo posted:

How do you get the font to look like this? I imagine it's an ascii tileset, so the follow-up question is how do you get to use a graphics pack (e.g. Phoebux) but with that kind of font, rather than the default one?

Looks like the Masterwork font to me. Works independently of tilesets, as long as you change the set through the Masterwork launcher.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Dreggon posted:

If the alternative is a dwarf there's no 'if'. High-ranking dwarf wants a table, a bed, a nice room, chairs, etc. Yak will sit in one spot and doesn't even need to sleep.

No, yaks are as pretentious as dwarves - they require a steady supply of grass to subsist off of, while the more noble animals are fine with just air.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

canepazzo posted:

It's no DF2014, but Meph at least released 5.0 Masterwork. Succubi!

Hooray, yet another race I'll probably never get around to playing!

Carsius
May 7, 2013

PublicOpinion posted:

Monthly report is curiously late. Could this hint at an imminent release!?

Don't hold your breath...

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Ketsa posted:

Disappointing.

I'm guessing that the majority of this content has yet to be revealed.

I hope...

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I hate how all of these amazing new discoveries will be useless in a few months weeks, with the new version.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I started an elf adventurer (who doesn't like wooden weapons?) and asked the adjacent elf for a quest. She gave me one to kill a bronze colossus with seventy-five kills to its name, then promptly walked off the tree and died.

Now the colossus has eighty six kills... A random kingsnake woman I picked up as a follower on the way over, which the colossus punted into the trunk of a faraway tree.

This new update is fun.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

AXE COP posted:

You can sever people's necks without decapitating them. 10/10

No, the head goes along with the neck. I've gotten skulls and brains from butchering a decapitated neck before.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

For all of the people who say that they're drowning, make sure to take a single point in swimming... Also, reading.

Was that a random Gen that you did, or a picture that you found? There are several utilities out there that can make custom map designs like this.

If it is yours, then it is most definitely an Easter egg... Far too accurate to be anything but. Well, aside from Alaska, whose edge juts far north of the edge of Canada, for some reason.

Edit: The :911: map.

Carsius fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jul 10, 2014

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Whoops, double-posted. Ignore this.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I want to know... But at the same time, I don't...

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Triskelli posted:

Obviously this means you have to find a dragon that's taken over a pregen fortress and reclaim it with 7 dwarves with only military skills and equipment. :black101:

Why kill the dragon when you can capture it? Don't think you can tame them, but you could get a breeding pair (if they fixed the bug), or just use its cage as a trap. I think they're normally trap immune, so you'll have to place cobwebs over the trap first.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

cyxx posted:

I don't remember if the thread talked about this recently, but if we have my apologies!

How do people feel about dfhack autolabor? It feels kind of cheaty, but when I think about it I pretty much do the same thing on a smaller scale. If I don't have anyone with woodcrafting to finish building the craftsdwarf workshop I enable the labor, let him build it, and turn it off. I haven't played a full game with it on but seems like it'll be kind of nice to minimize idle dwarfs and get their lazy dwarf asses to do some planting.

Also a question about the workflow plugin. So if I have say, a constraint setup to always have 100-110 wooden bolts stockpiled, is that constraint locked to the workshop I used? or does it work with every workshop that has the job on repeat?

I like it, it reduces the micromanagement necessary, though I don't know if it takes the dwarves ' skills into account.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I guess I must've retired the fort I started yesterday, because it showed up on the map, but I couldn't continue in it. I generated a new world and started fresh, and now my miner is actually mining away the walls just fine. I don't know what I did wrong the first time, but hey, at least it's working now.

EDIT: Actually, what Nevets said is what I think happened. I must've hit m somehow while designating, because I definitely remember the highlighted areas being blue, not orange, on the first map. Guess that solves that. :downs:

EDIT2: Oh yeah, my really nice embark spot seems to be in the habit of raining revolting muck. How will that effect the dwarves, if at all?

It can do a variety of things, least of which (and most common) is that it makes any dwarf caught in it incredibly unhappy. Sounds innocuous, but I've lost a couple of forts to tantrum spirals do to it.

Did you start in a haunted area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carsius
May 7, 2013

I'm just waiting for the game to become nigh unplayable due to how much calculation that needs to be done. It seems to be getting close, already.