Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Griz posted:

very small streams don't actually have water depth unless you channel them out.

I think those are listed as "brook" in embark screen. And the mechanic is that there is a "floor" on top of the tile that contains the water. Channeling gets rid of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Mr E posted:

Really hoping they fix or change how archers work soon.

I've been using archers since launch, and have not yet seen any issues. My only advice is, never have a stockpile that can take bolts that accepts bins.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Are the personalities of migrants influenced by what your fortress is famous for?

I don't think people have done :science: on it, but I'm pretty sure it's true. It's a great reason to make a doctor guild stuffed with artifacts.

Broken Cog posted:

Man, I really wish we could use the "Wear armor over civilian clothing" option, and still have the militia use boots. Setting that to "Replace civilian clothing" seems to be the #1 reason for all the weird behaviour with militia just dropping stuff all over the place, but without it they won't wear boots which is the main reason for having to retire good military dwarves due to cut motor nerves in the legs.

The solution is just to make sure military dwarves never take their uniform off. Change off duty/etc to armor/always.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

nielsm posted:

So it's both tough and weak, huh.

"Tough" refers to durability, not strength.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Gnoman posted:

That doesn't solve the access problem. Just designating the walls this way still winds up with unbuilt corner walls.

My solution to this when building big things is to build a scaffolding out of stairs around the building. You can also use that to engrave the walls. When you no longer need the scaffolding, you can get rid of all of it at once by building a ring of floor tiles one full empty tile above it, and collapse it. Any cave-in, even one of constructed floors that turn into blocks when they drop, will take out the while stack of stairs with them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

I've heard horror stories of nobles demanding specific items made from materials that can only be achieved through random artifact moods though, but I've never seen one of those myself.

And when one of them asks for a platinum bed, you can satisfy them by taking a wooden bed and decorating it with platinum studs at an anvil.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Decrepus posted:

A legendary human maceman petitioned to live at my fort and after I accepted I checked his stats he was a legendary dyer and competent maceman. :what:

He might well still be the best fighter in your fort. Dwarven physical skills are not great for fighting compared to humans or elves.

The only downside is that you need a human to forge his armor, he's too big for dwarven stuff. (If you actually want to bother, make him the master of a forge making leggings on repeat, make all those leggings to a specific stockpile and set them all to melt every now and then.)

neogeo0823 posted:

So, I missed military gear chat, and was thoroughly confused by it. Can someone please tell me what the "optimal" uniforms for melee and ranged dwarves would be? my eyes crossed when I hit the stuff about balancing permit limits over certain body parts or something like that.

Armor replaces clothing, all steel and high quality:
Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
High boots
Gauntlets
Helm
And leather robe, and shield of any material plus a one-handed weapon.

The difference for marksdwarves is no shield and a copper crossbow. Also, there are weird bugs that mean archers don't work unless you create the squad as the default archer template. You can then later change the uniforms to better ones.

neogeo0823 posted:

I also recall someone mentioning to not give any military dwarfs backpacks, or else you'll get tons of rotting food in rooms.

You can fix this by editing schedules so that military dwarves always wear their uniforms, on duty or off.

neogeo0823 posted:

Along with that, I'm looking at setting up my first squads, but literally no one of my 40+ dwarves has any relevant skills to be the militia commander. How poorly will it go if I just assign a random dwarf to that position?
That's normal. If at all possible, have two guys above novice in the weapon skill relevant for the squad. Sparring is much faster at raising skills, and requires dwarves who are not dabbling. They can the raise the skills if the rest of the guys by demonstrations.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

You can actually craft gear for humans (and elves, or any of the animal-races for that matter), by simply making a production order, and clicking the magnifying glass, then "Choose type".

Unfortunately you have to do this for every piece of armor you make.

That'd new for me, thanks.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

my dad posted:

Oh, right, iirc leather armor lets you train armor skill, which is pretty much its best use outside of the leather torso armor also being decent padding to have under mail before you start making plate.

The problem with such "training" armor is that the dwarves might get attached to it. Mail first and then adding other stuff is good also because all the pieces are things you want to keep.

Also, I really want someone to have a long talk with Tarn about the historical purpose and importance of linen/cotton armor. A padded jack is just much better armor than anything you can make out of leather, and also much better than mail only (although once you are wearing a jack, mail is a great improvement), and completely ignored by popular culture, probably largely because it looks stupid.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

hmm my ranged dwarves wont pick up any bolts even on equip/always
and the ammo icon is red like i dont have any, even though i have like... 300 bolts and arrows
theyre just walking around with empty quivers

Also are your bolts in bins? Archers might be unable to take from bins.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Do you have the noble "chief medical dwarf" assigned? He's the guy who creates medical jobs.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

mst4k posted:

What is yalls preferred method for channelling really deep pits? They always miss a part when I channel a really deep pit then either climb back up or get stuck and stop digging until I dig a tunnel to them to continue digging the pit.

Dig normal tunnels for the whole volume of the pit, and then cave in the topmost layer. (or a constructed layer above that if I'm not okay with making the topmost layer one bigger than the pit dimensions.)

I have just tons and tons of bad experience with mass channel digging, and doing intentional cave-ins is safer than letting the idiots figure it out by themselves because all the risky stuff happens at once and I can make sure no-one is nearby when it happens. Even designating each channeling layer with different priority, with the highest priority on top, can backfire and kill your miners and anyone unlucky enough to be hauling stones if someone far away takes a job mining the upper layer and someone close and faster starts mining the lower layer.

This is a good tip for new players actually, familiarize yourself with how cave-ins work. Dropping half a mountain on someone is one of the most powerful weapons in your arsenal, and can be really convenient when building big projects, or for example sealing parts of caverns when walking down there is not safe. It's not very complex, and is well detailed in the wiki.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

Is it still the case that the falling damage depends on the density of the material they're falling onto, since the game models the impact as being hit at terminal velocity with an equal volume of floor as the victim? Like having a lead floor will cause substantially more damage than a featherwood floor?

Correct. If you want to splatter gobbos from a short drop, tile the floor with gold.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

yeah i have no idea how troglodytes keep getting to like... the top levels of my fort but they do and they keep dying in the stairwells where i wont be able to find them and stinking up the place

I think they can climb pretty well. There's probably one corner or something in the cavern where there's no wall that blocks them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

emdash posted:

I need to make a malachite statue for my mayor and I have 20 malachite, including a piece in the stockpile directly outside my stoneworker. They will not start it, canceling the job over and over for "needs malachite." Any way of troubleshooting this?

Is the workshop set to take from a specific stockpile? If it is, it will not take from anywhere else.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Down With People posted:

How do people go with like, relocating facilities in the fortress as they dig deeper? Like once you get into the cavern levels do you spend a lot of time redoing all the bedrooms and poo poo to be closer to the new resources or what are peoples' strategies for that? I have a thing now where I get set up real nice close to the surface and then it just seems like such a huge hassle to move everyone lower, but I also don't wanna have 40 z-levels between my workshops and the goods.

I might also need to just learn how to use minecarts.

I usually build one large temporary dormitory near the surface to start. I only start building individual bedrooms when I relocate (either deeper, or higher ... I like the idea of building large structures above ground). I also dig deep fast, I usually only have one or two migrant waves before I start building the proper fortress.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Krataar posted:

Ok, I solved my problem with the food. I cracked open the caverns without knowing what they were and a ton of monsters came out and killed everybody.

FYI for the next time, building destroyers can only break things on the same z-level as themselves, so locked hatch covers protect you from any nasty surprises from below. Always build them before you start digging deep.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Krataar posted:

Is there water pressure? Can I setup a central water column to draw off water for irrigation of farms, fishing, or wells?

Pressure is a thing, but it's weird. The way it works that if there is ever a tile of water that is on top of another tile of water, or pumped to an already full tile of water, it will try to path from the tile below it to an empty space through water without going above the starting tile. If it finds such a thing, the water is instantly transported to the empty space. Water moving under pressure is dramatically faster than water flowing normally, and so can be quite dangerous.

Magma also has pressure mechanics, but only for being pumped to a full tile, not for being above a tile of magma.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

cheetah7071 posted:

Honestly this attempt at having a fort built primarily down near cavern three was super annoying because the bottom layers are all lovely igneous rock so I had to haul all my ore down 100+ Z levels

You'd have to do that eventually, assuming you don't pump magma, but at least if you do it at a reasonable time you'll have an army of children and wheelbarrows to haul the ore for you

You can move the ore down much faster by dumping it down a deep shaft. The only part that's hard about this is making sure no-one comes to pick some up when it's being dropped.

Alternatively, if you want magma workshops near the surface, the amounts of magma needed for workshop are best moved in minecarts.

Make sure non of your stockpiles can accept iron minecarts. Make a tile you can pump magma onto, and pump magma out of. Make a stockpile next to it, add some wheelbarrows to that stockpile, and then allow iron minecarts in it. Your dwarves will use the wheelbarrows to haul empty minecarts there. designate the tile that can be filled with magma as a dump, and dump the iron minecarts. After they are all there, pump magma in, and disallow iron minecarts from the low stockpile.

Make an another stockpile that can accept iron minecarts near your destination, and add magma-safe wheelbarrows to it. Once they have been hauled, pump magma out of the magma pit, and reclaim the dumped minecarts. They are now full of magma, and really hot. Your dwarves will use the magma-safe wheelbarrows to haul them to the stockpile. The reason for this dance of stockpiles is that you probably don't want the dwarves hauling the full minecarts without track or wheelbarrows, because they are really loving heavy and it will take absolutely forever. If a dwarf is hauling the minecart without track or wheelbarrow, they will carry it, instead of pushing it. If a minecart full of magma is hauled in a wooden wheelbarrow, it can catch on fire. Nethercap wheelbarrows might be safe, dunno.

Dig 1-square pits for your workshops, under the tile that the workshop blocks (so top center for smelters and kilns, middle side for forges). make a track stop next to the pit, that dumps into the pit. Make a hauling route, add that track stop as a stop, and add a minecart to the route. When a dwarf hauls it there, it will dump it's contents into the pit. You need 4 units of magma, or two minecarts for each pit.

cheetah7071 posted:

I've yet to see a magma sea above Z -100 but who knows with this game

I believe some of the world generation presets have it a lot higher.

Tuna-Fish fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 4, 2023

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I think the usual methodology is making a magma-safe track, releasing magma flow across that, and shoving the cart down through it and back out the other side-- I'm fairly certain nothing dropped on a cart actually goes into the cart.

No. Having a tile with minecarts in it and filling it with magma will fill up the carts. I have done this dozens of times in old DF and once in the new one. All you need for the simple setup is a pump that pumps into a single ramp tile, and a second pump that pumps the square empty after the minecarts are full.

Warbird posted:

Wouldn't it make the most sense to use minecarts to dump large amounts of smelted ore ready for working down to the magma forges? I've not had a chance to start messing with them but it seems like a prime use case. That and moving wood from the surface down to your main industrial areas.

Smelting takes either fuel or magma. If you are not bringing magma to the surface, just dump the ore down deep. And if you make, say, 4 carts, you can do 2 smelters, 2 glass kilns and 2 forges in 3 trips, instead of the dozens of trips needed for the ore/bars.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

The youtuber is making some questionable choices there. It's a good idea to make the "fill-up chamber" just a single tile with a ramp. That way, you can instantly fill it by one screw pump, and instantly empty it with another. Placing the minecarts in this tile is easiest by dumping them.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Broken Cog posted:

So, items get "Acquired" by dwarves when they haul them, right? Would it be possible to set up an automated process of loading a minecart with crafted objects, set it off to make it spill them all over the floor, then have your dwarves haul them back to the cart/a nearby stockpile?

Yes. The minecart doesn't even need to move, you can basically just set it up as a quantum stockpile where the dump tile is not a stockpile. I recommend making the stockpile feeding the cart very small, because every empty stockpile tile creates a job, and there will be infinite rotation of jobs coming, so maybe make it just one tile stockpile.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

all my cave water is full of mud but oh well nobody's got an infection yet

You can fix this with a pump. Any water that goes through a screw pump into tiles that has never held muddy water, becomes clean water.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Comrade Koba posted:

I know I could have them on a constant schedule, but then they’d probably get terminal psychosis because they didn’t get to occasionally glaze pottery or whatever.

As soon as they reach high enough skill in their weapon they stop giving a poo poo about ever being a civilian again. If your training works well enough, they might get there fast enough that they won't have time to go nuts.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Is there a trick to this? Every time I've tried to channel a 1x1 straight down any distance my dwarf eventually stops, climbs out of the hole, and then nobody ever wants to climb back down into it and I have to carve out a staircase anyways.

Block the hole after the miner goes down it. If they can't path to food/drink/bed, they won't start climbing. Just a temporary constructed floor will do. He'll get hungry/thirsty/tired, but generally you can dig all the way to the magma sea well before he dies, only taking a few naps and getting a bunch of negative thoughts on the way.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Zeruel posted:

So I started a new Fort, and wanted to avoid the caverns while I broke into the magma sea. I got down there, but the caverns are attached to the magma sea. There's no direct path from the caverns into my stairwell, but will poo poo still spawn regardless?

It will. And then it will try to constantly path into your fort, killing fps.

Just go to the additional settings and turn cavern invasions way down, or off.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

But no, Angzak, no deity is important enough for more than 9 tiles.

If you want your dwarves to get the most out of the temple, you probably need a sizable dance floor.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Appoda posted:

Should I be concerned? Are necromancers assets if you can get them to raise your dead, but stay out of LOS from enemy/wild dead? Is he gonna try to convert everyone to necromancy?

It is possible to make use of him for nice things. However, just having him around can be very dangerous unless you take appropriate precautions. For example, you should take good care that all animal trash is disposed of in a way so that he never sees it. Because if he's ever in any combat (and literally a child throwing a tantrum and hitting him counts) and there is anything that can be raised in his view, he will raise it. And it can often be raised as non-intelligent undead, meaning it will attack everything but him.

Good ways to make use of him would be to put him in a room with a view through fortifications into two rooms. One has a bunch of bones, the other has a hostile gobbo walking free or something. When he sees gobbo, he raises the bones. Then a squad of marksdwarves can see the raised crap through a different wall and kill it, gaining experience. You can do this with melee too, but there are more risks.

When he raises complete bodies, there is a chance they will be raised as intelligent undead. Their abilities are randomly generated (per type), and can sometimes be really ridiculously strong. Intelligent undead maintain their old loyalties, so if any of your inhabitants suffers an unfortunate accident, you can try to engineer a situation where you raise them as a zombie. They'll probably be raised as unintelligent most of the time, so you'll have to kill them repeatedly, preferably with weapons that don't cut up the corpse into tiny bits.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

A Bakers Cousin posted:

My artifact displays in my temples and guild halls are having a bit of a theft problem by sticky fingered guests. I saw someone putting a display behind a grate? Will this work for admiring as well as room value? Will glass windows work?

I don't mind too much but having to almost micro manage my justice screen is a bit tedious.

Just room value, I'm afraid. There's not really any way to have a tavern that's visitable both by your normal dwarves and outsiders, and having artifacts that can be picked up that you can admire that won't get stolen. (They can't steal constructed buildings, so artifact anvils, grates, etc can be admired safely.)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I keep razing my nearby elven neighbors settlements but I notice they keep popping back up. How can I exterminate the elven menace?

Just keep at it. There isn't an infinite supply of elves on the map, if you are killing them faster than they breed they will eventually run out.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Telsa Cola posted:

That is to say that in 10ish years playing I've never run into issues with kitchens using all my planting seeds, though I guess I can see it being a concern if you immediately started cooking meals (you don't need to do this)

It's substantially worse on .50 than it was before, because of the change to subterranean farm yield outside caverns. It results in smaller stacks, which results in lower seed surplus. It's still something you can deal with, but especially early on when your planters aren't very good being net-negative on seeds is actually possible now.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You said it yourself. Flow kills FPS. Having constant flow is terrible for your frames.

And to note, you can do large-scale water or magma movement without flow, because pressure is an entirely different mechanic from flow. You should generally try to plan to always move everything through pressure, not flow, as much as it is practicable. For example, if you want to move a lot of water halfway across the map, start by making a reservoir that's more tall than wide that holds more water than the entire channel you intend to move through, that's above that channel. Because there's not a lot of "sideways free surface", filling it up shouldn't kill your fps much. Then open it all at once to fill the channel you are moving water through. Unlike flow, pressure is instant, so the channel just instantly fills up.

With magma, it's more complicated because there is no head pressure. Screw pumps still provide pressure, so to move a lot of magma sideways you build a 1-tile wide channel, a screw pump that outputs into that channel (and not above it!), and whose input tile is gravity fed from a tall reservoir that's large enough to fill the entire channel. I think you can power the pump from below. You can do this same thing with water to provide pressure to fill the channel but reset the "water level" so it won't go above the pump.

cheetah7071 posted:

so like for real though how do you safely even approach the circus in this patch when you're rolling the dice on fortress death every tile you uncover long before you even spot adamantine

You build a proper trap corridor before you start mining the fun stuff. Collapsing a mountain on top of things still kills everything in this game.

(You'll probably lose a few miners, but that should be a price you are willing to pay.)

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Actually there is one type of weapon that's currently considered quite weak... crossbows.

I've found them to be quite useful. I follow the twin rules of:

1. Every xbow squad you make is created with the pre-set archer template, and then changed to whatever you want later. If one member of the squad dies and you want to replace them, you'll have to destroy and reform the squad.
2. You should not put bolts in bins, ever.

And marksdwarves seem to work just fine.

Nessus posted:

That still works? What's the most efficient item? Because I will probably use that ore loadout... on a volcano map, and I can literally plan "and I will also make 3 steel corkscrews to commence dwarven alchemy."

Leggings, menacing spikes, giant axe blades and giant corkscrews all yield 150% of their creation cost.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

How many bars of metal do i roughly need to make a full set of armor? I'm copying this list I got a while back:

Mail shirt
Breastplate
Greaves
High boots
Gauntlets
Helm
And leather robe, and shield of any material plus a one-handed weapon.

And also, when modifying the uniform for a squad, I notice that I can pick a glove or a boot, and the terminology is singular. "Steel high boot", "steel gauntlet", and the like. Does this mean I need to select two of each of those, or is it talking about a pair of each of those?

Do I need to add an additional boot and gauntlet to this?

No, dwarves with this template will wear pairs of each, despite the wording. Remember to also set "replaces clothing".

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Wafflecopper posted:

If I wanna drop a cave in on a forgotten beast, will a floor layer be enough to kill it or do I need a solid z level?

Solid, natural (or obsidian cast) z-level. Floors, ramps, stairs and all constructions collapse into boulders (or the construction material), which do a lot of damage but are not guaranteed to kill.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

deep dish peat moss posted:

What do I need to select in a stockpile to get them to move bags of dye plants out of a barrel? It seems to be impossible as far as I can tell, if your plant bags get accidentally placed in a barrel there is no way to get them out

Use dumping. Make a garbage dump next to the barrel, dump the contents but forbid the barrel. Then when dwarves finish moving the stuff, unforbid the dye bags.

This is the general manual solution of getting x out of y. Useful in varied circumstances (such as taking weapons out of the hands of caged goblins).

I set mine to individual choice in general and made sure to have a bunch of steel weapons laying around and they seemed to gravitate towards "best available", generally

You don't really want to do this, fyi. Training works best when everyone involved is carrying the same weapon (as in, affected by the same skill). Initial skill differences mostly even out in a few months of training.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Novasol posted:

I captured a human necromancer. Is there anything fun I can do with this chump or should I just give him the Ol' Yeller?

Yes. It all boils down to: If he sees corpses or pieces of them, he will raise them. Sees includes through fortifications. You can design a system where he will repeatedly raise things you dump in front of him, to provide training, or to try to raise your own dead as intelligent undead. It's a dice roll if he raises intelligent or unintelligent undead. Unintelligent will be hostile, intelligent will remember old loyalties. If you do this, you will need a way to repeatedly kill the unintelligent undead, preferably without cutting the corpses to pieces or turning them into pulp, until you luck out.

StarkRavingMad posted:

Yeah in addition to that I've read that children can learn in there too, so the kids end up having some worthwhile skills by the time they hit adulthood.

More importantly, they can get a few pips in useful moodable skills. This means that when your children mood, won't all become stupid bone/woodcrafters.

Always make a really fancy armorer's guild early on, and make it available for everyone.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Appoda posted:

Is there a reason why I can't make high boots?
Is it a weird culture thing, like brais/loincloths?

This is why all my embark profiles have a single high boot. So if I get the warning that it's not available, I can back out and switch out the civilization I'm using.

Mr E posted:

I really think I should be able to trade like 1400 currency of mugs and bone crafts spread over 2 years without also getting 90+ migrants so that I have to spend the first years of the fort mostly building bedrooms to made sure the population cap of dwarves in year 3 can have a room and don’t get annoyed at the dormitory. I just feel like the population can balloon way too fast for the value I’ve been trading.

You can change the pop cap of the game in the middle of it. If you don't want tons of dwarves at first, just start with a low initial popcap.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

hbag posted:

also realized i can make trading with elves easier if i just mint some coins or something
my queen is demanding i make them anyway

... It's a bad idea to trade away things that your nobles are demanding you to make. Eventually they are going to forbid trading them away when they have already been sold and are on their way off the map, and then your guard will kill everyone who took them to the depot.

Just make any useless demands out of copper or something and melt them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Buschmaki posted:

Is there anyway to check out the Gods and what form they take? I remember in pre-steam versions you could examine them through your dwarf's relationship tab

You can through legends, but it's annoying, because there's no way to search for deity. So you have to write down their names beforehand.

Abandon to a new timeline, then go look them up by name in legends mode.