Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nietzschean posted:

Why did the developer think it was a good idea for carp and elephants to be terrifying murder beasts?
Why did the developer think it was a good idea to model every different type of creature's blood as separate liquids?

There are just so many questions.

Toady basically has one rule for creating Dwarf Fortress: more is more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Splode posted:

A few cats is useful for killing vermin. The rest are just causing lag and will be made into take away. Dogs can be made into stray war dogs which are useful for distracting invaders while civilians flee.

You need one cat for vermin control.

ONE. More just breed and are a menace. Nothing quite like having a tantrum spiral because 12 pet cats died in a siege.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

Anyone want to start a pool? I'll take the 13th.

It'd be more interesting to guess what insane bugs are going to come out of it at zero hour. My irrational guess is every living thing in the fortress inexplicably turning into a gigantic zombie lobster that's on fire every time the game autosaves.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

If you assign a hammerer and a captain of the guard and some guards, your dwarfs will get arrested for violating work orders and mandates from nobles and will either be hammered or put in jail depending on the sentencing and if you have jail cells.

If there was a reliable way to assign a specific hammer to a hammerer I'd do it but I usually just leave the positions empty and let the nobles deal with it. Sick of getting dwarfs killed with masterwork silver hammers.

Make sure that your hammerer is a weak cripple that can't actually wield a hammer. He'll ineffectively flail at dwarves that get punished and accomplish basically nothing. The guard is also a good place to retire crippled ex-soldiers.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The funniest thing will be the maddening, insane bugs that invariably crop up the first week. All I have to say is "iron thrones."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Shukaro posted:

"Fixed invaders completing pending jobs."

"Goblin sieges began climbing up wells but became non-hostile fort residents after finishing the climb. Most of them become fishermen."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiler Kiwi posted:

My guess; pathfinding madness where dwarves get stuck in loops, and keep trying to take paths that wind up breaking all their bones, causing other dwarves to fall down whatever chasm they tried to climb in order to claim the precious socks.

Dwarves inexplicably wear nothing but socks on every body part. Except their feet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Neurion posted:

Are you suggesting that socks reproduce?

Yes. They lay statues, which explode into hundreds of socks.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
So if you mine through a trees roots the entire tree just freaking vanishes. Well that's...interesting.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lord Windy posted:

How does one make a metal whip?

Chains? With lots of spikes? Who knows?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Flavahbeast posted:

I think the reverse is happening, single thread performance is the most important metric if I'm buying a CPU because multithreading is so often underutilized

Multithreading is also absurdly difficult to program properly. Where I'm studying that sort of stuff is covered in a 400-level class that's notorious for being nasty and difficult. It's hard to wrap your head around it to begin with but it gets even worse when you consider that there's a whole bunch of extra crap you need to think about when it comes to data and how it is handled. You can end up with things like a variable changing dramatically in the middle of a thread doing something that completely torpedoes absolutely everything.

The suggestion of "well programmers should just multithread everything" is a pretty ridiculous thing that programmers get sick of hearing. Multithreading an application means rewriting it from the ground up, requires dramatically different algorithms, and introduces more bugs, sometimes an exponential increase in them. The other side of it is that a lot of stuff just can't be multithreaded and, sometimes, the time saved from multithreading is undone by the extra overhead. It's actually possible to make a program run more slowly by multithreading. Actually one of the earliest assignments we did was more or less "OK write this program this way and that way. Intentionally do things that will suck, then rewrite it to be a single thread, and look at the difference."

A lot of programs just flat out don't need multiple threads. One of the biggest thing that multithreading has done is allowing a computer to dedicate an entire core to a program rather than splitting the program among multiple cores. You have the OS running on one core, the game running on another, and the other one paying attention to your internet connection. There is still a net gain in performance in that case as there's usually crap loads of stuff running in the background and it eats processes to switch between them. More cores means less switching.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HerrBrau posted:

Not sure if this is a new description in 0.40.x, but it's new to me: one of my dwarves is described as "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Thanks to the absurdly lavish food I always heaped on my dwarves in the last version every single dwarf in my fort became grotesquely obese, using that exact description. I'm sure that's actually the one that indicates they're as fat as possible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I got the best mental image of a dwarf ranting and screaming about all the poo poo that he murdered at a goblin in a beekeeper suit just kind of ignoring him. Finally, when the dwarf shut up, the goblin just looks at him and says "I don't care man, would just leave me alone with my bees?"

Poor goblin just wanted to keep bees, man. WHY ARE YOU BOTHERING HIM?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu. posted:

edit: I have a mystery item in my food storage. It has no name at all, and appears in lists as blank space. Inspecting it tells me that "This is a ."

That happens occasionally. I once had a caravan show up with a "large." It wasn't a large anything, just a plain "large."

I bought it and put it in its own stockpile surrounded by silver statues. It was the best large I'd ever seen.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Dwarves deserve pretty things okay :ohdear:

Really all it takes is a really nice bed in a smoothed 2x2 room with a marble box or two and they're pretty happy. Throw in a nice dining room full of statues somewhere and lavish meals and your dwarves are permanently ecstatic.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

Wrong. A true dwarf would just as soon have nature and the great outdoors burned to ashes and converted into a great mining pit.

You forgot to include "while drinking heavily and puking on literally everything."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Apoffys posted:

You can hack into a volcano without killing the miner, by channeling instead of digging. Dig a 1-tile wide path to the volcano as you normally would, then channel the last tile instead of digging. This creates an open space on the tile below, which the lava has to fill before it can flow into your corridor. Should give you plenty of time to close the floodgate you've rigged to close the tunnel. For extra time, channel the last tile diagonally, as fluids flow more slowly diagonally. Also, make sure to designate some mining work in a safe area when your miner starts channeling the last tile, because then he'll immediately run there to do it rather than stand around thinking about what to do next.

Another option is to use a pump.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sky Shadowing posted:

Must have been some optimizations to get a 1000% increase in performance during Adv Mode Generation. :stare:.

Many algorithms are extremely inefficient and can be replaced by far more efficient algorithms. He probably had a crap load of hideously inefficient brute force code going on or code with flawed logic that trapped itself in weird loops. Recursion and complex logic trees are especially prone to that sort of thing.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lawman 0 posted:

So will the reenabled elven diplomat/liaison allow us to order things from the elves?

No, he'll stare at you while you sleep then wake up you to yell at you for cutting down a tree, ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

There's also a dragon associated with wealth and fire that's been rampaging up and down the mountains.

This is your new god.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tunicate posted:

They stay in the fort, but they might not necessarily be in the same locations (not sure on the mechanics for item scattering on retirE).

They get strewn about semi-randomly with the distance they move being based on their weight. Lead poo poo barely moves at all. Almost nothing actually stays in its actual container so no you don't get to recover all your precious booze.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

RedTonic posted:

Do caged pets free themselves after a dwarf chooses to make them a pet? I might have... hypothetically... made a hydra available as a pet.

Now you have to let it out and tell us what happens.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Node posted:

This is awesome. My dwarves are quite cave adapted. There is a steady stream of vomit at the entrance to my fort. I decided to help change their habits by designating a sculpture garden in my outer courtyard, so dwarves will throw parties there and get used to the sunlight again. Now that I checked on it after a year, every single tile that the sculpture garden inhabits has vomit.

Outside the entrance to my fort, there is a mountain of vomit, with a statue of a dwarf on top of it. Welcome to Wheelworked, friends.

The correct response to "my dwarves are cave adapted" is "deliberately have every dwarf in the fort projectile vomit all over literally every caravan that arrives." It's just one of those things dwarves do.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The correct answer is fractal bedrooms. :colbert:

There actually was a point where I'd spend more time designing new walk-efficient fractal fort designs than I would actually playing the damned game.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Kennel posted:

Then it turns out that you aren't immune to your own songs.

It turns out that your own songs only affect you like acid rain and inexplicably turns your boots into iron thrones.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VerdantSquire posted:

Eh, I don't think Toady is nearly as terrible as this thread would lead you to believe. I used to listen to the various DFtalk segments they used to do, and it sounds like he has somewhat of a better understanding about what his game is than some people seem to think. Obviously he's still insane because hes undertook the idea of DF as a project, but it seems like he is aware of the more realistic concerns regarding the game and does make an effort towards fixing them.

The thing about Toady is that he was a math professor that just kind of thought making games sounded cool. He made DF so him and his brother had the game they wanted to play and has said that he'd be working on it even if nobody paid him to. He released it free on the internet because "well maybe somebody else will like it." Next thing he knows people are literally just throwing money at him and his response was "OK I guess this is my living now. Cool." Pretty sure he also said that it suits him because he isn't very social and this means he doesn't need to really interact with people much.

I mean good for him, you know? He's making something that a poo poo load of people like and it sounds like he's pretty happy with his life.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

neogeo0823 posted:

Don't the engravers already do that, what with chronicling the history of your fort on the walls and floors and such? It's kinda the same thing, really. There's even tons of reposts when they run out of original things to chisel.

For whatever reason when I play DF my dwarves tend to pick one particular, exceedingly minor detail to engrave on like...everything. I still can't help but laugh at a fort that kept dedicating engravings and statues to one particular time a giant broke an elf's molar.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Michaellaneous posted:

This is a joke. It is of the lowest quality. It mentions a joke. It is of the lowest quality.

This is a gold post. All craftsgoonship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with golden manbabies. It menaces with spikes of jokes.

On the item is an image of a goon. The goon is crafting a joke.

On the item is an image of a goon and goons. The goons are laughing at the goon.

On the item is an image of a goon and a post. The goon is raising the post. The post is made of poo poo.

Yeah sorry I just couldn't help myself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pharnakes posted:

Can dwarves fall off bridges? I'd built a 1x1 bridge and I think my woodcuter just fell off it carying a barrel. I can't think of any other reason why he'd be drowning in the river with a crushed everything.

Yup. Dwarves with a crappy agility have a chance to just careen off of edges.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loopoo posted:

Still though, having to resort to such dwarfy measures as magma for an issue that should be somewhat simple to resolve (militia, attack that scum!) is a bit annoying. It isn't "fun" or fun, it's just straight-up irritating. Especially since I've now stopped all visitors from coming to my temples, libraries and taverns, cause I just know this poo poo will happen again.

This is Dwarf Fortress. The answer to every question is "magma." The solution to every problem is "magma." If whatever you're doing doesn't involve magma somehow you're wrong.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Never not 0/100 tunnel density/cave openness. Humans build villages in the surface. Dwarves build them in the caves!

Then periodically come to the surface to vomit on caravans and drown them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Dwarves reproduce via spores.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

Disappointed that the three four-pointed stars are not screaming.

I won't be satisfied until the screaming is also screaming.

And that screaming is screaming as well.

All is screaming.

SCREAM.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Muscle Tracer posted:

This would require Toady to implement scream elements, which would require atmospheric vibration, which would require aerodynamics...

So I just need to wait around a few months until he just randomly implements it.

Got it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Then laugh and post about it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Prav posted:

sometimes it's both

Let's be honest, it's "frequently both." Probably also caked in vomit and inexplicably depressed over missing a sock.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Charlie72 posted:

Could also be a steakhouse

Why not both? Throw in some magma and dwarves getting incinerated by it randomly then some engravings of absurd historical events and you have something properly dwarvenly.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

virinvictus posted:

What if you flood your fort EVERY time?

Still doing it right.

Every dwarf fortress player must flood a fort at least four times. Once unintentionally with water, once unintentionally with lava, and then intentionally with both.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mister Adequate posted:

:lol: Toady you crazy bastard, I'm so glad to see he's not getting even a tiny bit less insanely ambitious over time.

Yeah Dwarf Fortress is just this beautiful, unique gem among games. It's a bug gently caress crazy gem somehow made of leather of animals that don't exist, jagged, badly cut green glass, the tears of dead dwarves, and the most normal wood that has ever existed but a beautiful and unique one none the less.

It's like Toady decided that "more is more" isn't more enough and decided to see how maddeningly complex of a game a human can possibly make.

And we are all richer for it.

I still think my favorite DF moment was one particular fort that repeatedly made art memorializing a particular fight between an elf and a giant. I looked them up in the history and neither of them ever did anything else at all that was worth noting, apparently. At one point, early in the world's history, the elf and the giant met and had a fight. Nothing happened except the giant bashed the elf in the face and knocked one of his teeth out. That's it. That's all that happened. My dwarves decided it was the most significant historical event in the world and like 75% of the statues in the fort inexplicably immortalized that moment and nothing else.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Psycho Society posted:

Now what dwarf fortress creature is based off of the body part-throwing dancing troupe?

The entire combat system.