Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Necromancer: "Ohhhh I'm gonna get you, get ready for the undead to rise!"

First Dwarf on the scene cleanly separates skeleton's head from its body with a single bolt.

Necromancer: "Uhhhh I think I left the stove on, I'll be back with more undeath tomorrow".

Cheers, I ended up trying out the "2 min/3 man total" squads and it worked pretty well except for one squad with a layabout that did nothing but fish for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
Incidentally, Beak Dogs appear to be inspired by these things:

Which do resemble velociraptors, and interpreting the raws would certainly lead you to that conclusion.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Now what dwarf fortress creature is based off of the body part-throwing dancing troupe?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah if you enjoy Rimworld go right ahead but lol if you try defend his opinions

:haw:

Now I want to mod religion into his game and have them all be wrong, except Islam.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Psycho Society posted:

Now what dwarf fortress creature is based off of the body part-throwing dancing troupe?

The entire combat system.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Toady One the Great posted:

I'm having fun chasing down issues with agent identities and rumors and so forth. A lot of the conversation/reputation code wasn't able to cope with the change, and we've needed to differentiate more between visual identification or whether an incident just involves the real and fake historical identities of people in the abstract, especially when you ask a person their opinion about somebody but only know an alias (which you don't know is an alias). People now think more carefully about where their information came from when they decide what they think of people, and do some cross-referencing of known identities and so forth, but they also have to skip certain rumors in their heads that pertain to a person where they can't make the connection (because they don't know a given alias or true identity). So if you ask after a goblin agent using their true name or an identity used in a previous town, people in the current town the agent is infiltrating will properly say that they don't know who you are talking about, even if they have a lot of information about the agent under their current alias -- or they might have an opinion about the old identity if they heard a rumor about it. Where the game previously formed a single set of reputations for one historical figure, people can now give different answers for the true historical figure and each identity, as well as what they think on sight (which may or may not involve any names -- they keep track of which identities they associate with the physical appearance).

We're also trying to keep more identity information intact as rumors fade out over time, to stop covers from being blown by the passage of time, and we also want a bit more realism in terms of linking witnesses that know the physical appearance to somebody else in town that got to know a name/alias of the people and their appearance, but didn't see the incident. For example, if the player robs somebody without saying their name, a problem with the new system was that only the people that witnessed the event thought ill of the player even after a few days, since other townspeople could no longer make the link between the player and the event. However, if the player talks to enough people in a small enough town either before or after the robbery, then whatever name/alias they used should become linked to the incident after a bit of time (the normal rumor spread time). It's difficult to get it right, and it's not going to be quite up to the level where it'll need to be for the justice/crime features later on, but we're trying to keep everything pointed in the right direction.

:psydwarf: Good god, Toady.

But I repeat myself.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I definitely see why he's going into this detail for the spies... it's basically what he said at the end: this is all incremental groundwork for the justice and crime arc, where you can be a thief or a detective hunting down thieves. It's all part of being a story generator... mysteries make for some of the best stories, so gotta have everything a mystery needs.

Amazingly, this might be the first game where you can have an actual procedural crime drama play out that isn't pre-scripted, where the mystery's gameplay is as fluid as any shoot 'em up.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
What happened to the army arc? I remember that being the thing. Not that I'm complaining of course.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, this is one of those Toady moments that makes real sense for Adventure mode, and will take it a step closer to being a playable system.

I can't wait until you get a quest to find the Goblin spy (spy for the Goblins, may or may not be a goblin) and kill him.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Psycho Society posted:

What happened to the army arc? I remember that being the thing. Not that I'm complaining of course.

most of that is already complete

the majority of the army arc was making civs generate armies, have them patrol the countryside, and invade their neighbors. IIRC, most of the stuff that's incomplete at this point is refinement and implementation into fortress mode.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Grey Hunter posted:

I can't wait until you get a quest to find the Goblin spy (spy for the Goblins, may or may not be a goblin) and kill him.

I can't wait until you get a quest to find and kill yourself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

grancheater posted:

I can't wait until you get a quest to find and kill yourself.
I can't wait until you can then frame somebody else for it to cover your tracks.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I'm more interested in when he inevitably gets a bug up his rear end about modeling proper information decay over repeated transmission, so rumors turn into a game of telephone and "I'd like some more cats" mutates into "the mayor's an axe murderer" in fortress mode.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Zore posted:

Beak Dogs are basically giant, hairy birds right?

From the Toad's mouth:

quote:

The original inspirations were, as far as I remember, those things from tremors 2 and for riding, yeah, the labyrinth things, though we didn't get the beaks from that, and the original cautionsaurus. Velociprators weren't an inspiration -- I think that just came up in that thread and I was trying to describe it in those terms. Our crayon pictures of them devolved pretty far away from that though, and they end up looking kind of like wingless featherless versions of my brother's lovebirds. I don't think they have little arms any more.

Tremors 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8tBMfSm-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-Q1e8mDDKI

Labyrinth:

Bay12Games' Cautionsaurus:

Zach Adams:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
That crayon drawing is a mount in the Golden Axe games.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Evil Fluffy posted:

That crayon drawing is a mount in the Golden Axe games.

What the tileset shows:

What the player's mind sees:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 6, 2017

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Iunnrais posted:

I definitely see why he's going into this detail for the spies... it's basically what he said at the end: this is all incremental groundwork for the justice and crime arc, where you can be a thief or a detective hunting down thieves. It's all part of being a story generator... mysteries make for some of the best stories, so gotta have everything a mystery needs.

Amazingly, this might be the first game where you can have an actual procedural crime drama play out that isn't pre-scripted, where the mystery's gameplay is as fluid as any shoot 'em up.

Sherlock Holmes in The Mystery of the Missing Cat Bone Earring.

spoiler: The kobold did it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sherlock Holmes in The Mystery of the Missing Cat Bone Earring.

spoiler: The kobold did it.

That's racial profiling, man!

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
The agents system is also pretty interesting from the Fortress mode standpoint as well.

It should tie in nicely with the visitor system and you might have saboteurs coming to visit your library under an alias and then start pulling levers/starting fires/killing.

Gives the sherif someone else to torture instead of a citizen.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Sure are a lot of goblin dancers coming in since we bought that magic gently caress-off sword lever from the caravan.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

God dammit, who stole the drawbridge control?!?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

TheCIASentMe posted:

It should tie in nicely with the visitor system and you might have saboteurs coming to visit your library under an alias and then start pulling levers/starting fires/killing.

I really hope this is the case if only because I want to build a bank of fake levers that all trigger death traps just to see invaders yank 'em.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

TheCIASentMe posted:

The agents system is also pretty interesting from the Fortress mode standpoint as well.

And then players start to install tons of hilarious suicide levers.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Chain an obvious spy in your mayor's office for an endless supply of goblin iron for smelting

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012

Kennel posted:

And then players start to install tons of hilarious suicide levers.

Start to??

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Friend, if you don't have at least a dozen hilarious suicide levers in your fortress then you are playing Dwarf Fortress wrong

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Are you telling that it isn't normal to have a magma flush cistern set up above your fort?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Or to mine out an entire z-layer above the fort and prop up the ceiling on a single support?

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Two supports thank you, suicide pacts only, no bourgeoisie solocide allowed.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Is there a way to increase literature production? Just assign lots of people with professions mentioned in the dwarfwiki article as scholars and give them a gazillion scrolls?

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Scholar

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Peasant Falling Down
A play in One Act

~fin~

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Peasant Falling Down
A play in One Act

~fin~

It's art

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Drunk Peasant leaving tavern. A thrilling masterpiece.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Dwarf Therapist 64-bit is out for Linux. Getting 100 fps solid with 116 dwarves, currently - hell yes.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I thought embarking on evil terrain would be !!fun!!, but these dense wormy tendrils look like rear end and may also be murdering my FPS. I'm running out of fortress ideas, so this time I think I'm going to dig a gigantic hole in the ground, leave some terrain in the center for rooms (possibly anthill style, with random sizes, shapes and connections) and then flood the whole thing. It'll be my first 64-bit fort so I'm pretty stoked.

edit: are there known bugs with the LNP version of DFHack? I'm getting a whole lot of crashes, even after disabling TWBT.

Prop Wash fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 11, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Peasant Falling Down
A play in One Act

~fin~

The dwarf fell down and it was deflected, by Douglas Adams rules he is now in flight.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dwarf fortress is leaking a bit. (Caves of Qud)

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Synthbuttrange posted:

This game seems like an improved adventure mode. Is it as awesome as it looks? The update frequency is really impressive.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

I like the -200 reputation with dogs, as they just know you're carrying something with a drawing on it that's mean to dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chiefnewo posted:

I like the -200 reputation with dogs, as they just know you're carrying something with a drawing on it that's mean to dogs.

technically it's an artifact that has historical significance within the game, in relation to one of the 5 or so randomly generated sultans that make up a chunk of the ancient, almost mythical history that changes with each playthrough, so it was probably used to kill a bunch of dogs and/or the leader of some dogs and the history of said event was carried down through the ages to the 'current' time in-game where dogs as a whole recognize it as being a thing that harmed their species a long time ago

it's a setting where even plants are sapient and ruled over the land for a time, so dogs definitely aren't that much of a leap