Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

serebralassazin posted:

I binged on the first season as it hit crunchy roll and then caught up with current season. Good god this poo poo is gold. For some reason almost lost my poo poo at I KNOW THAT FLY. The ending song was just a brilliant song as well. I'm missing the characters named after bands though.

Given that Avdol is almost certainly named after Saudi singer Mohammed Abdu, I don't quite think they're done with the music naming yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Gyges posted:

Personally I like that for some reason robo-prosthetics have somehow devolved since the 30s. Back then you could make a cyborg with the power of a pillar man. Now the fingers on the things just pop right off in the hands of your grandson. For shame Speedwagon Foundation.

Well, Nazi science IS the best in the world.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Joseph should sell the pictures he's taken of DIO to modeling agencies or something.

Why? Joseph's filthy rich as a real estate agent in New York, and he has the full support of the Speedwagon Foundation behind him, too.

Edit: Or something to do with real estate, I can't remember.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 28, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Am I the only one who thinks a monkey being named after a Wu-Tang album is really really unfortunate?

I mean, this is Araki we're talking about, and he's not exactly known for his cultural sensitivity, but jesus.

It's a play on the similarity of the name to Orang-utan, Christ this is a dumb thing to get offended about.

Also, Orang-utans aren't monkeys. :colbert:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Butt Ghost posted:

Oh, I agree he's fantastic, I was just using Troy Baker as a way to gauge how he'd be as Jotaro, since people are more familiar with Baker.

I guess I could have brought up some of Mercer's rolls, but the only one's off the top of my head are second-half-anime Kanji, Walter from SMTIV, and Alvin from Tales of Xillia, all of which I initially mistook for Baker. :shrug:

Isn't he Chrom and Leon Kennedy?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Well there was that scene where Joseph squirts mustard on a pickpocket who tried to steal the Stone of Aja from Lisa Lisa.

Maybe that could have been conceived of as offensive? All Italians are thieves with stupid pompadours?

Except Caesar's an Italian.

All Italians are thieves with pompadours or bubble Worfs?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

quakster posted:

The real question involving Stand users is where the gently caress did Dio find these fuckers?!?! :iiam:

MyStand.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Giving me a pedantic word puzzle is like giving Joseph a length of rope.

edit: Which makes Genocyber the Perfect Being, so really he comes out ahead in all of this.

No matter who wins, humanity loses.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Can we all agree that if Dio had resurrected 40 years earlier Joseph would have already murdered him? Joseph at the top of his Hamon game is basically the best JoJo.

I think that was the point of Straizo, really, who had Dio's powerset (and the ripple on top of it I guess though it killed him to use it)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Good thing waiting for the show is only till January, then.

:eyepop: Parts 4 and 7 come out in January?!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

itskage posted:

From: http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2014/12/16/tort-d16.html

Quite frankly I'm pretty appalled by this. I heard in one case some guys peed down a guys breathing tube and in another case they faked an execution on someone and made a guy think his friend was dead then laughed about it.

this must be the work of an enemy stand

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It would be neat to see a fanart of the characters all looking their actual ages.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

He offered his people a way to overcome their fatal weakness.

They refused and tried to kill him.

He had no choice but to defend himself.

Cars was a dick and self-defense doesn't justify committing a genocide, also why would you post that statement in the thread where nobody can actually meaningfully respond to it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zogundar posted:

(I really hope this is just me being Spoiler Sensitive)

It is just you being Spoiler Sensitive dude, holy poo poo

E: like the narrator went to great lengths to say that Cars is about as dead as an immortal, nearly indestructible Fabio clone is capable of getting

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 24, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Davinci posted:

but isn't his dick at the bottom of the ocean

Actually it should be at the bottom of a cliff but his servant found it easily.

Wang Chung isn't called that for nothing.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 25, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah I agree but you should probably edit that out

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jackard posted:

Rewatching season one, the Joestars remind me of the Belmont clan from Castlevania. Or maybe it's the other way around?

It would be the other way around.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Or to the noted rap artist Snoop "JoJo" Lion. And yes nerds, I know JoJolion came first, but that wouldn't be the first time Araki channeled the future into his work.

:911:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Senor Candle posted:

Originally it was that he challenges them to random game or something and if they lost they basically got their souls banished. Which I think works alright as a stand ability.

If soul banished means third degree burns then sure

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I can't watch it, I don't get why

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Just wait a bit. Polsy takes a bit to load Nico videos after you press play.

When I hit play it takes me to the nicovideo page, I guess that's what I get for watching on mobile.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Jellymouth posted:

A few of the comparisons are kind of loose, to be fair. A lot of the stands are clearly based on horror tropes, but not necessarily specific franchises. I wouldn't go as far to say that Yellow Temperance and Justice are based directly off of The Thing/The Blob and Night of the Living Dead.

Then again, I'm another weirdo that's refusing to read the anime for the sake of spoilers. My knowledge of the series and its creator is, admittedly, not great.

There are very likely some stands that Araki cribbed from a movie he probably watched around the point he was doing those chapters.

Even in part 3 it would be interesting to see how the dates of release of some movies line up with their respective stand.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 9, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PiedPiper posted:

Beware the fecal winds of Egypt

This must be the work of an enemy stand

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Araki isn't exactly a litigious person, is he? I get the feeling his reaction would just be "oh, nice, I inspired another mega-popular thing! :unsmith:" more than anything.

The idea of Araki suing someone over infringement is actually hilarious, considering some of the things he does. We've seen Christine the Killer Car in all but name at this point

I doubt he's the type to do it but holy poo poo is that a genie he would want to keep in the bottle

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

You know, now that we know Dio's Stand is The World, the op should probably be updated.

I'm actually disappointed the title hasn't been "Jotaro Kujo vs. the World" from the beginning

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, this is the story of the Joestar family, to state the blindingly obvious.

This actually did fly right over my head

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you think The Star/JoeSTAR thing is crazy...prepare yourself for this.

stardust Crusaders.

This however did not fly over my head

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

The dog finally does something useful.

New thread title

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Overlord K posted:

Is it weird that I like Pet Shop way more than Iggy after this episode? I mean I always thought Iggy was a little poo poo so this is no surprise after hearing his monologue, but goddamn is Pet Shop cool.

No, Pet Shop owns

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Who would actually want to fight a guy whose power is setting everything on loving fire

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

How Rude posted:

Despite Iggy being as awesome as he was in the Pet Shop episode, he does not top young Joseph from part 2.

I don't think anyone will.

Young Joseph is among the best main characters and has a very solid claim to being the single best of all of them.

That's at least in part because of the shift Araki had in his writing, where the protagonist didn't have to carry the whole thing and it becomes a ensemble piece. People not named JoJo actually get to win fights, and they can get more spotlight on them. :v: I would imagine in this part if the thread were polled the favorite crusader would probably be Polnareff and not Jotaro.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 21, 2015

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Soulcleaver posted:

I would've sacrificed an arm just to end the fight immediately. Jotaro ain't got time to bleed and Star Platinum would still have both arms, so gently caress it, they're almost at the final boss. The stakes here are lower than the first D'Arby holding two Crusaders hostage.

On the other hand, that would have meant no lawyer-friendly vidya fight.

Star Platinum's arm would also be useless.

They still have more stand users to get through, and then there's DIO at the end of it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Normal Adult Human posted:

Vanilla ice is like one of the worst stand fights in the show. Pet shop was also terrible but goons loved that.

You are more terrible than the most terrible JoJo fight

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

HoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

No no, that's the Final fantasy VII spinoff where you play as Hojo in a pokemon style breeding simulator

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Aurain posted:

That always sort of bugged me in Dragon Ball. Frieza/Vegeta want to wish for immortality, but that doesn't mean that they can't be blown into tiny chunks but have their body survive that (in the sense that all of the cells and such are still alive). They'd be better off wishing to be indestructible.

e: V They still wish for that during an asswhooping each on Namek though.

If that's your standard of immortality then Frieza was immortal

Trunks only actually killed him when he disintegrated him with a KI blast

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SpartanIV posted:

I've been putting in a lot of thought about it since he used it on Hol Horse and I'm pretty sure it's time manipulation of some sort. I thought it was the ability to rewind time for a certain person/object but that doesn't allow for what he did to nukesaka.

At this point I think he's capable of freezing time within a small radius and then moving things in that radius freely. So in the instance of polnaraff, he paused time, picked him up, moved him back down the steps, and then went to the top of the steps before unfreezing time.

The big tip off, I think, is DIO dealing with the senator. He was trying to catch Joseph, so he didn't have time to waste. I don't think he would have spent time harassing the senator if it would have let Joseph get away. If he can manipulate time,that's not an issue though. However, it could just be a case of anime-time not being consistent as it rarely is.

I'm sure there's some unimaginable spin on it all since it's Jojo, though.

The critical flaw in your analysis is that Dio always has the time to be a douchebag

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
DIO is loving good at golf

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

To be fair, it was a really good idea against basically anything but what The World does. A normal person wouldn't be able to move or do anything without being attacked from every direction simultaneously, and at the very least when they used whatever their trick was to defend themselves Kakyoin could figure it out.

Except, you know.

Even here it spelled out just what his stand can do.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dias posted:

DIO: can stop time, has Star Platinum 2.0, can fly, is a vampire, handsome

DIO is Overpowered Bullshit

Yeah The World is pretty well rounded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, the Animation: Joseph and his Technicolor Slit Throat

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 6, 2015

• Locked thread