Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

quote:

especially since 2-space indentation is the norm and tab indentation is forbidden

oh no it uses the correct indentation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
2020 will finally be the year of hurd on the desktop

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

is it the repeated changes in preferred language, up to and including new homegrown languages only for gnome?

i want to know more about this

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah im sure microsoft is going to release a vulkan api for the xbox minusone any day now

I heard they wanted to but there's a incompatibility with its memory

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Laslow posted:

i installed a linux because i have unlimited time to troubleshoot bullshit issues now and it just works. i’m flummoxed and disappointed to say the least.

i saw a few posts up that they’re working on breaking sound and X11, so that’s kind of a relief.

This was basically my two most recent experiences installing Linux. They even properly detected my laptop screen resolution. I didn't even have to edit a single config file ffs. Truly disappointing.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
never use desktop environments, only window managers

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I also pretty regularly use x11 forwarding and in fact it's the only way to do certain things in my current position

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
hell if i know. work isn't where i fiddle with linux. im just saying its a use case for me

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Smythe posted:

don't take it out on me. Go out and get Bernard Sanders elected my man. Hit the drat phone bank.

Can't. Too busy projecting a golden egg around Assad

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so if folks pirate your employer's products, that's good and cool with you?

what kind of bootlicker rear end poo poo is this?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'd also argue it depends heavily on what you're pirating. Like if you're pirating some 99 cent indie android game from a company barely scraping by, gently caress you. If you're pirating os x from a company with more money than god, then by all means

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so because it's expensive it's ok to be an rear end in a top hat?

abso loving lutely

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Soricidus posted:

I just installed emacs for free and use dired-mode, op

although I might have to rethink my emacs usage, I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before someone reveals rms has been practising what he preaches

this is gonna be just like that time when i was a reiserfs user

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

feedmegin posted:

And last time I looked at it it was impressively horrible

I'm shocked that the guy who spent a decade on a pointless replacement that wouldn't compile if you looked at it wrong is making bad software

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Amethyst posted:

use ranger. the vim of file managers

the default mode when you open it doesn't manage files?

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the very first time i installed linux, many, many years ago, sound worked out of the box

but i was using red hat linux, and not sweaty fatbeard linux xxxtreme, so, there's that

The first time I installed Linux was fedora and sound didn't work and it wouldn't set my resolution to anything but a 640x480 letter box and it ignored the config file. Then I installed gentoo and everything worked out of the box :shrug:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
os x sounds like it's gotten miserable in the past 10 years since i've used it. is it just a class signaling thing to use it now? i can't see any other reason

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
tcl rules as a host for making small DSLs for embedding in applications

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

fresh_cheese posted:

this bullshit is what they claim is “fixed” by containers

shared libraries my rear end. just statically link everything dude. fuckitall.

welcome to the rustpublican party

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Backdoors have to snuck into open source at least, compared to a state just going to a company and telling them they'll insert a backdoor

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

hbag posted:

whats the point in setting a wallpaper if its going to be 98% covered by opaque windows

Same but this is why I just set my background to black nowadays

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

BattleMaster posted:

groff, nroff or troff - nobody typesets for free

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
My first Linux was gentoo in 2004 because neither Fedora nor Debian would do 1024x768 on my laptop, only 640x480

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

FlapYoJacks posted:

Not caring about fonts is the cool thing to do

I can read letters in almost any font idk maybe it's a skill issue

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
I'm using reiserfs for its killer performance, though it does suffer from the occasional fragmentation issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib