Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I not an Arch zealot or anything, and actually it's the only linux I have, but I wanted to turn an older piece of hardware into a midi controller, and had some other custom config I needed and it's been great for that. Plus they threw in an easter egg that makes it so pacman has a little pacman chewing dots on the progress bar when you install stuff and that's just fun. That's my Arch story anyways thanks for reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I think you just need to install mkinitcpio, run that and then run grub-mkconfig and grub-install.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Awia posted:

mkinitcpio is run as part of pacstrap afaik, or the file is generated at least

Then just take a quick look at the grub page, run grub config and install and it should boot.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I don't know what you're doing wrong; you might try re-running mkinitcpio. Also you could always go the Archbang route, which makes the install even easier.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Can you not move around the windows on a panel in gnome3, or is that just me? It'd be great if I could just drag whatever app and move it left or right of whatever else is open. I can do that fine in gnome2.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Progressive JPEG posted:

Settings -> Keyboard -> Shortcuts tab -> Windows section -> "Move Window", defaults to Alt+F7 here

All that does is focus the window so you can drag the window around on the screen.

Suppose you open a terminal, and that's now tabbed to a panel. Then you open a browser, also tabbed to the panel. On gnome 2, I can left click and hold, then drag one of those tabs. So the terminal tab would now be on the right.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I don't know what "tabbed to a panel" means.

Whatever you want to call it. When you open up an application, and it's now shown on your panel, and you can click into it.

Contact List, Tiger, and Link Contacts can each be selected / focused. You can move their positions in gnome 2 but not gnome 3.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Can I see a screenshot of your desktop then? The panel doesn't exist anymore in GNOME3.

If the panel no longer exists in gnome 3, then when you open an application, whatever you call the thing the application sits on. I want to be able to move their positions around on that thing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Awia posted:

the desktop?
click and drag them?

You can't. That's the point. :bang:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Post a screenshot.

I don't understand what you want a screenshot of. A vanilla gnome 3 install with two or three apps open? You can't visualize that?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I can, but I don't see what apps sit on.

What are apps sitting on here?

Ah, okay, I see the confusion here. The only thing I did is set the .xinitrc to
exec gnome-session --session=gnome-classic

What that does differently on the backend I don't know. I just want to be able enjoy the same functionality as before. Speaking of which, the weather app is a big step back. Otherwise gnome 3 is alright, thanks for asking for input on it.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Also, we had a weather app before?

Yes, it's just called Weather Report 2.32.1.1 . It fetches METAR, and you can read it just like going to NWS. It'll also show you a radar image from the weather channel and update it every few minutes. The icon shows if it's cloudy / dark and what the temp is. It really works quite well.

e: version number

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I upgraded to the whatever 3.14 current linux with gnome 3.14 (the pi reference is cute guys) and so on. Classic mode doesn't seem to work anymore, and the newer gnome3 interface is alright I guess, but I don't like how you can't move around the clock for example. You used to be able to do that or pin apps to the menu bar thing (previously called a panel). I like the way it looks okay, but it'd be nice to have the option to change more about it. Is there some xml file I have to mess with to do that now and why or what's the thinking here
openssl 1.01g

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

How do you move the clock around in gnome3 Suspicious Dish, or can you?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Thanks. I don't have much to add about the virtualization discussion, other than that my webhost uses their own vps servers, they can provision whatever os you want on top and it's fairly transparent. It's a good way to share resources so long as they're managed appropriately, and it's much easier to provision them. But I also think De Raadt had a good point when he pointed out that putting bad leaky code into a bad leaky vps is bad, as it always has been.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

They've completely reworked the ports / packages on freebsd recently, and it works rather well. You don't have to build much at all and everything is signed. Most anything is just pkg add ____ and you're good.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It's more full featured than I'm describing, but as with many things I just want it to work without messing with it much and it provides that. It's easy to update and solid, it'll tell me exactly which packages need to be patched and you can configure it for whatever. Mostly I don't like spending time janitoring computers and bsd lets me do that. If you want to track current you can download the head from svn as well. Now OpenBSD on the other hand is stuck in the stone ages and is still using cvs and so on.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

What about dc, do they at least have dc

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

It is a calculator Bloody.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I'd buy one if you call it Los Computadoras

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

this is a small issue, but is there much going on to make gnome lower overhead? If you're on a slow computer and you go into finder, it'll take a while to populate a directory - but then if you back out one level and come back it repopulates the whole thing again. On really slow computers moving directories will bog the system for a bit, but if I go to the shell and move it it's fine. I know there's a bunch that can't be changed, but it'd be nice if that could be made zippier.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

I recently showed the maintainer of nautilus about "perf top", and he spent his whole weekend fixing performance issues in nautilus. This next release will likely be much faster.

That's good to hear. I don't know what actually goes on internally but it seems like it copies then deletes when it moves instead of just moving the pointer; a move should be quick but I don't know what obstacles there are to it actually being that simple. I wouldn't want to hack on it myself so bless you folks for doing so. A lot of the time people develop on fast enough machines they don't really see those issues unless they profile their code carefully.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

eschaton posted:

my new computer does this really fast and doesn't bog down the system

it's a BeBox, and it's old enough to vote

the computer in question is a toaster

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I just thought I'd offer this for someone who is afraid of editing a file in vi(m), it's really not that scary; you only need about 10 or 20 commands to be able to edit files fairly efficiently. An IBM developer wrote this handy cheatsheet and it's easily enough to figure out how to move around, edit and save a file.

Just remember there are two modes, you hit esc to go into command mode and can hit i to go to insert mode and enter text, starts in command mode typically. Use hjkl to move around the file while in command mode or play nethack. To quit out you can use :q (:q! to force), or :x to save and exit (all while in command mode). Probably don't hit capital :X instead as that may prompt to encrypt the file depending on the version, which you probably don't want at this point. Another handy command is :/text, hit enter and it'll bring you to that string in the file (case sensitive).

If you ever have the opportunity to see someone good work with vi or emacs it makes a lot more sense.

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jun 4, 2021

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

IPvSH6T posted:

someone has never used AIX or HP-UX

Whatever else you can complain with about AIX, properly configured it is one of the most stable and secure choices for a UNIX system.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

bobbilljim posted:

so you want to waste your tax dollars or what

I think this may already be happening. I like the idea of EFF providing certs mostly because it makes it affordable to the global poor, aside from CAs being a racket. A few hundred bucks isn't much to most of us but it's a lot if you make a few grand a year.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

If I connect to web servers via self-signed certs the NSA cannot automatically record which domains I visited without doing a MITM attack which to my knowledge they are unable to automate. How is that moving goal posts? I'm still harping on cleartext < self-signed < signed.

pretty sure they just go to your ISP for this

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

How does an automated CA prevent against me signing up for a cert for citibank.com

I would guess that they plan on having you confirm that you own the domain before giving you a cert. So if it were automated, you'd get one when registering the domain. If you already have it they'd probably have you drop a file on the server or likewise.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

rediscover posted:

i actually don't know anything about linux. i just figured out that emote and wanted to see what it looked like in yospos, the computer forum

it looks cool:ovr:

there's another one too :ins:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

compuserved posted:

he's literally schizophrenic. poor guy. :(

I don't mean to single you out here but it's considered bad form to phrase it like that; it'd be more appropriate to say he has schizophrenia. Otherwise it sounds like that's all he is as a person.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

I installed gnome 3 on a somewhat marginal laptop with 600px of vertical resolution, and tried to change some things with the tweak tool. But the dialog box scrolls off screen. Is there a way to set a virtual desktop larger than the screen or something? I'm not seeing any way to make it so I can actually read the entire dialog box. I see there's a zoom feature but no way to zoom out less than 1:1.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

installing a Linux on Christmas

just gnome actually, no linux is involved. Christmas with the family was fun though but now I have toys to play with

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Man it's an older, cheap laptop but it's an hp mini from 2010, it's not that old. Knowing how to move around the window should hopefully be sufficient though, thanks

Having shortcut keys to zoom in or out of the desktop built-in would be super nice though, especially for the visually impaired.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

"somewhat marginal"

as is anything you would (or should) install gnome or a linux on

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The hardware can't be that out of date; some random dude patched in support to get the audio working all of two weeks ago. Not linux but that's open source right there.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Yeah I thought it was a netbook. 600px vertical sounds like an original EeePC though.

the HP minis were a line of ultraportables; you could get a 1366x768 screen for a 50% markup. For browsing the web or a cheap laptop to travel with they're not bad.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

why is xfs better than ext4

or is this a greyforum q

it scales better than ext4, has roughly equivalent performance, and is imo more robust. I'm not one to sperg out about filesystems, but a few years ago I had an ext4 filesystem that blew up, wasn't able to fully repair it, reformatted it to xfs and have had zero issues since.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

du -hast posted:

why DesktopBSD of course, a high quality system that supports even less garbage software than your average linux, which is paradoxically a disadvantage

This is backwards; BSD has linux compatibility you can enable. So not only can you use whatever UNIX apps, you can install whatever linux apps you want. There are about 24k packages available at the moment. If it's important enough they've probably just ported it directly though.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

eschaton posted:

reminder that rms didn't invent emacs in the first place, didn't come up with the idea of either extending or implementing emacs in lisp, and also didn't author the original gnu emacs himself (he started from gosmacs and then was forced by evil freedom-denying lawyers to replace all the Unipress-copyright code)

also, dan weinreb (rip) is on record as saying symbolics caught rms directly copying their code into the LMI codebase he was hacking on at the AI lab, and only started clean-room implementation after being caught

oh... oh man I thought you were kidding about dan weinreb, but no. I learned Java from him, and I hadn't known he was gone that's sad to hear. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Last Chance posted:

it looks bad but it also looks better than any linux out there today

if you like gnome 2, mate is based on it and is fairly good.