Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

psiox posted:

lmao if you don't fondly remember kernel 2.4 as being an incredible improvement over its predecessors
If I remember correctly, the old versioning system completely sucked because 2.2 had gotten ridiculously out of date before 2.4 was released and so you had to use the unstable 2.3 kernel for tons of stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh I thought this was just the vulkan implementation of directx for wine, but apparently this person is saying that they forked that so it can be used natively from linux programs?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ok, Ubuntupac

mystes
May 31, 2006

I prefer to imagine that nbsd only uses netbsd.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Laslow posted:

as of right now if you contribute to freebsd you’re basically giving sony’s playstation division free labor.
Free as in unpaid labor

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm really glad I haven't had to edit an x.org configuration fine in years, although I have had to do stuff like blacklist nouveau so my computer doesn't crash when x starts.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what does macos need virtio support for?
So they can run it in a VM even if they don't let anyone else?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe they insist on running build servers on os x vm's rather than having a secret linux port of their toolchain but they still are willing to use some standard hypervisor?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pram posted:

is linux on the desktop yet?
We still have 23 days.

mystes
May 31, 2006

akadajet posted:

it must not be that important because otherwise someone competent would come along and do it
It's called clang, op.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just change it to 2038.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The made a lot of people on HN mad, so it was good I guess.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The filesystem situation is pretty bad though. EXT4 works fine for what it is but I wish there was something built into linux that had more modern features and wasn't scary for various reasons. BTRFS seems like it will never be safe and the the licensing problem with ZFS can probably never be overcome. At this rate maybe reiserfs will somehow come back after reiser gets out on parole.

I wonder if the situation wouldn't actually be better if ZFS had never been open sourced, since its existence seems to have unfortunately decreased interest in developing alternatives.

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 10, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snapshots are one of the areas where LVM is really behind stuff like ZFS, unfortunately.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The one feature I personally really want from BTRFS/ZFS is fast incremental backups, but I don't think it's worth messing with ZFS just for that and lol BTRFS.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

mocking btrfs is like a meme. it works wonders, you should use it. used it on literally all of my systems for years, i've never had any issues.
I tried using it on a laptop for a while. If the system wasn't shut down cleanly (i.e. I left the laptop suspended and forgot to charge it) there was like a 1 in 3 chance that the filesystem would become completely corrupted. After reinstalling the whole system several times I switched to ext4.

Most computers aren't hard reset that often but there's no way I'm going to use a filesystem that can't handle being hard reset.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also, if you think btrfs being unreliable is a "meme" why do you think Redhat finally gave up on it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tankakern posted:

never happened to me with btrfs on my laptops, and i've done a fair share of hard shutdowns. do you use it with lvm or something?
I don't remember whether I was using LVM and I haven't been motivated to try it against since, but if everyone insists it's reliable now maybe I'll eventually try it again at some point.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I had this weird problem with libvirt where when I edited the settings for a vm they would change back again if I rebooted the host or restarted the libvirt service. Apparently this was because I had two configuration files with the same vm name, although it's weird because it's not like it was copying the configuration from the other VM as far as I can tell, and there were no errors, and using virsh to edit the configuration worked fine and the changes persisted until I restarted the service. It would have been nice if it just said "error: you have two vms with the same name, dumbass."

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rachel Ray's evoofs

mystes
May 31, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Technically any father is a motherfucker.
Sperm bank donors?

mystes
May 31, 2006

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop*.

*: "Linux on the desktop" is defined as 1% or greater of steam market share.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sapozhnik posted:

let's start a new objective-c project in tyool 2020, sure
Yes, that's definitely the reason this is crazy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

All gnu software is half off on free software 9/11!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe someone should hold a big 1-2 month long conference for people who are still using Windows 7 now?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Free as in wife murdering.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gnome rejected java-gnome because oh no, java might be technically un-free because the tck isn't open

gnome rejected gtk# and mono because ??? microsoft ??? lawsuits ? ? ??? just magical thinking

gnome started their own horrible language (vala) and then abandoned it because it sucked

gnome is going to be C-only forever, and it will be the worst possible C forever, because they still require an object system, and the one they rolled themselves sucks
I think it would be a lot easier to criticize gtk for this if the situation with qt bindings for other languages wasn't also complete garbage as well (unless you like qt quick + javascript I guess).

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they completely go under doesn't the license for all the the non-lgpl parts automatically convert to lgpl or something?

mystes
May 31, 2006

It won't really affect KDE, but if lgpl qt and proprietary qt end up diverging slightly more again it could be a huge pain in the rear end for other people who are trying to use qt for cross-platform software.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is there a gtk 4 dance?

mystes
May 31, 2006

If only Everybody loves Eric Raymond would start up again to help us in this difficult time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arcteryx Anarchist posted:

all these hipsters with their retro think pads and tiling window managers and multi-meg vim configs if they're not emacs cultists
Tiling window managers aren't a hipster thing. They're just less bad than other window managers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

vscode isn't perfect and it's using electron and everything, but I still think it's kind of in a sweet spot where it's open source, has good extensibility so it can support new/niche languages, and is easy to use.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

harfbuzz is a loose transliteration of open type in persian but you can call it حرف‌باز if you prefer
The way I prefer to think about it is that if fizzbuzz was a soda, harfbuzz would be the sound it would make when coming back up.

mystes
May 31, 2006

el dorito posted:

anomie is good

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

linux has always worked with hidpi, because there has never been a standard dpi on x11

75, 80, 96, and 100 dpi were all common choices back in the day, not to mention all the bananas CAD poo poo that used wild rear end DPIs on secondary monitors

software had to be written to be dpi-independent to work at all in an x11 environment

(of course, this does not mean gnome will work, because gnome 3 is a giant bucket of poo poo. if there is a way to gently caress it up, they found it)
So basically linux has always worked with hidpi except real linux that people actually used.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some people are still using non hi-dpi displays, OP.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe my plan will be to simultaneously upgrade to a new computer with USB4, get a hi-dpi display, and try switching to wayland again in two or so more years when I can muster the energy to give a poo poo.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'd get a 4k monitor but it would be a pain with my current setup.

I have a linux computer and a windows computer next to each other, one monitor is connected to the linux computer, and one monitor is connected to a hdmi switch which is connected to both computers (because the monitor only has one port I guess).

I think the linux computer doesn't have a video card that can handle 4k over dvi or hdmi, so I'd probably have to replace both monitors, replace the video card, and probably buy a new power supply.

If I replace the linux computer in a couple years I'll probably just switch to using virtualization with gpu passthrough for windows, and use one 4k monitor rather than multiple non-hidpi monitors, but I have a better graphics card in the windows computer and the power supply in the linux computer definitely can't handle that right now.

Thank you for listening to my ted talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Actually as of a week ago I also have a third lovely monitor which is also plugged into the windows machine because this is helpful for my w4h situation.