Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

I use MacProVideo and Groove3. (MacProVideo's Reaktor videos aren't good, but everything else I've used there is solid.)

To be fair, I've been looking for about the past year and no one has good video lessons when it comes to Reaktor beyond the basics, which aren't that difficult to figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Stop hiring from the more developed parts of the continent imo

I pay some guy in China to write & play all my music for me. :smaug:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is it just me or does it sound a lot more impressive as a bass synth than a drum machine?

The snare is miles better than the one on the volca beats (not a high bar to clear) and the bass synth sounds super usable. On the other hand, the hats sound really lo-fi in that clip which isn't bad but is't as usable as I'd like, the "percussion" sound I'm on the fence about since it wasn't really featured much outside of a claves sound, but the bass drum just sounds loving atrocious. Hopefully the sound issues are because it was recorded on the mic-in and a proper run through isolating the various voices will dictate if I'm getting this or the volca and a soldering iron.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 22, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radiapathy posted:

EDIT: The SoundCloud is gone but there's a video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh56cEx2r2o

Ok, the hats are now better than I was hoping for, the snare is loving perfect, the bass synth is still great, and the percussion sound works really well with the rest of the machine.

The bass drum is better than the soundcloud demo but it's still sounds a bit thin to me. Not a huge deal since I'm still getting an A4 and now totally waiting for this over the volca, even if they jack the price up to $300.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

ashgromnies posted:

How many programmers are in here? I recently moved to security research but was a developer for 9 years. Perl, PHP, and Python primarily.

I'm a lame CAD guy that only knows LISP, although I program for Intel's construction projects so there's that.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

On a whim I bought a Volca Bass and a midi keyboard, how hosed am I?

Just kidding. Seriously, I have not messed with music for a while and I thought this would be a fun and cheap way to get started with analog synth. I has been looking at a x0xb0x box and watching documentaries on the TB-303, but all the options seemed too expensive. I have a habit of ditching hobbies, I didn't want to go out and buy something really expensive only to let it gather dust. So I got the Bass. It isn't exactly a 303 but it's neat for the money. I considered the Keys but this one seemed simpler, and learning this one should make learning the others easier.

Is there a consensus on the Volca series among you guys?

All three are awesome, with the Bass and Keys being really great and the Beats being good but having probably the worst snare on any drum machine in history, but that issue can be fixed with a soldering iron.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So I was finally able to finish a song after being sick for two weeks and not being able to think clear enough to get something I was about 90% complete on. The drums I'm particularly proud of this time around since I was able to get a really industrial (at least to me) sound out of only using Tatoo and QuadFrohmage. Also 90% of this was with VST's with most of them being instances of Alchemy and Bazille so hail satan and all that.

https://soundcloud.com/bell-labs-orchestra/irregular-satellites

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

So far, this sums up my synth experience:

Hard Synth (Korg Volca bass)
1. Open box
2. Put in batteries
3. Press key
4. Beeps come out, yay!

Soft Synth ( Komplete Elements with Reaktor player and Kontact)
1. Install Komplete. takes 45 mins.
2. Update Komplete, takes 45 mins
3. Struggle with getting midi keyboard and audio out to work
4. Midi works, adio doesn't
5. Audio works, is scratchy. Restart Reaktor, YAY BEEPS.
6. Start up kontact, try to set up audio, crashes
7. It crashes on startup several times in a row
8. starts up, try to get it to play over the right audio channels agin.
9. GOTO 6.

gently caress.

ALL the DAW's are like 400$ plus for the full version, if they are as annoying as Komplete I'll put off getting one as long as possible.

I think I only paid $300 for StudioOne and the only complaint I've had has been with the VST instruments it came with, the effects have been fantastic.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

The previous videos from TE they mention that the videos made thus far are still just the prototype and the final product will actually come with a case and sturdier construction although the PCB look is pretty cool.

Oh thank god. The PO-12 sounds amazing but my cats are both raging assholes when it comes to not damaging gear so that was the huge reservation about getting that. I do hope they include some sort of MIDI in/out, probably not via 5-pin but at least put on a micro-usb port on it or something like the OP-1 has.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

64bit_Dophins posted:

So I recently bought my first synth (a microkorg for about 200$ on craigslist). Like a lot of you guys I really don't like it but for right now it's mostly serving my needs as a (very expensive) midi controller.

Anyways, one of my buddies in NYC offered me 280$ for it a few days ago. I don't know if he's stupid or if everything in NYC is just magically worth more than it's worth, but either way I intended to sell it to him and buy another (better) synth.

What would you recommended around the $300 mark? I'm looking for something with at least 49 keys. Should I just get a midi controller?

Yes.

There are some decent 32-49 key ones around the $200 range (Launchpad-49, Roland A-200, Nektar Impact) and I would probably get one of those and either the Volca Bass or Keys for the money... or if you can spend another $200 or so the Waldorf Rocket or Streichfett.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

vkeios posted:

Well seeing as iOS 8 is coming out soon with some neat poo poo that could be used real nicely with music apps, you probably don't want to get the 2 year old iPad.

Between this, gadget, and zeta+ it's been a pain waiting until the new ipads come out in a few months before I dive into ios synth stuff. Working with Alchemy and Bazille I've become a fan of what "good" VST's can do, not to mention I've already been using my wife's mini ipad to start setting up a controller for my Kurzweil gear with this: http://iosmidi.com/. Really, nothing hardware wise is pulling me to get it right now except for the ipad, an A4, and for guitar a red panda particle and a gem 2g.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
:spergin: buchla autists :spergin:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Definitely got me hooked on this poo poo. Now about a moogerfooger... are the delays really 800 dollars good? Or is that just the moog premium?

If you want a fully featured delay pedal with lots of CV control I look into the Koma BD101 since it's 1/2 the price and has most of the same features along with a few other ones. Or if you're stuck on Moog get the MF Delay which has 1 CV input and 1/4 of the price.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

Hi guys. I bought a Volca keys and am slowly getting used to it, but I find myself wanting a different sound than I can currently get out of that or the Volca bass.

So I went window shopping at Guitar Center, and after some (lovely, half competent) help played with some of the more highly recommended analog synth's . The Korg MS-20 mini, Arturia MiniBrute, and the Moog Sub Phatty. They all seemed to get the best sounds down low, not up higher like I was looking for, and they all seemed to do harsh/gritty better than smooth. Maybe it was just me. I liked the Moog the most and the Korg the least, although I didn't get to play with the patch bay on that one. But I like one synth better than all of them and it was (ugh) digital.

It was a Roland Gaia SH-01. Now I figured out part of it- it had some effects on and they helped. Maybe I could get that with the keys. The other part was the tons of different wave forms it had since it is analog emulation. I also liked the feel of the keys.

Any thoughts on the Gaia? Is it loved/hated, and is there anything cheaper out there like that?

It's poo poo. It's not analog emulation though, it's all analogue but it's analogue poo poo. (Unless you're talking about the Aira System 1) Like it's probably the only thing worse than the microkorg poo poo. It's got a few tricks like the delay and phaser that you mentioned, but things like getting routed into mono when oscillator sync is on, the external in being routed after filters, effects, and envelopes which literally ever other synth with an external in has it's kind of a disappointment.

Also, I agree with you that the Arturia only does bass really well (why I'll be selling mine when it gets back) but the Moog and especially the Korg? Try doing things like putting some delay in the attack and release of the envelope, adding a hint of portamento, and messing with the resonance and not cutting the low pass filter completely to really make them sing outside of bass sounds. Also, try the Ultranova. It's like the microkorg but better in pretty much every way imaginable, has lots of effects, plus it not only has external in (which you can route through the filters and effects, but they also act as a 2in4out audio interface which will save you like $200.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

I know, I could have sworn it was analogue and not sampled waveforms. :downs:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

AxeBreaker posted:

I tried as much of that as I could with the Volca Keys and it did make it sound better up high. I've been looking around for an Ultranova but all I could find to play with was a BassStation at Guitar Center. They seem to have every microkorg made in recent memory, including an all black one though.

Other than that, I've been playing with Komplete Elements, which came with my midi controller. I've got what it came with and most of what can be downloaded free, and I've decided I like Carbon 2 and Photone the best of that bunch. If I were to get Reaper or another DAW, are there any free must-have .vst's you could recommend?

Is there another music store around where you're located? Maybe a different GC? I know that of the three GC's near me only one of them has an ultranova out to gently caress with and one has a mininova to gently caress with (which is basically an ultra nova with mini keys and without the soundcard)

I don't have any "free" VST's, but if I were to rank the ones I have in terms of how much I use them, how easy they are to use, and how much fun they are to work with it would be the following.

Instruments:
1: Alchemy
2: Bazille
3: Tattoo
4: Reaktor

Effects:
1: Kramer Master Tape
2: Ohmboyz
3: ValhallaShimmer
4: Quad Frohmage

Christmas is coming up and most of these will go on sale since the only time I buy VST instruments / effects is when they're 50-80% off. (Except for Bazille since I got the 30% off for being a beta tester)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

surrender posted:

There's also a ton of deals on/around Black Friday. I use this site to track them:

http://rekkerd.org/deals-deals-deals/

Hello bookmark!

And from that it looks like all the Arturia VST's are 50% off. Anyone know which ones are the best?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

I'd love the ms 20 a lot more if it used volt/octave instead of whatever poo poo it does, hz/octave??

I wanna interface with my poo poo man.

One of the many reasons why I'm getting an A4 is that it has 4 CV out's that can do either volt/octave or hz/octave with a ton of oscillation options. The Pulse 2 has this same feature but only has 2 CV out and I've really come to realize I don't need another mono-synth since I'm most likely getting the Rhythm Wolf and it comes with a ghetto one and the Shruthi is the only other mono synth that's interesting to me right now.

In other news, it appears my minibrute was so hosed when it was originally manufactured that they're just shipping me a brand new one... which I can turn around and sell for $400 or the price I originally got it for. :pervert:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

java posted:

So, uh, anyone have an MS-20 they are looking to get rid of?

No, but I have a minibrute I want to get rid of. Brand new in box even!

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

W424 posted:

Well I wouldn't recommend a M-audio either, plenty of horror stories about build quality...

I have the 49 Pro and love it. I got it used from GC but it's held up for the 9 months or so that I've had it so I can't complain.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Since you have Volca's maybe look at the King Korg?

Yes it's VA but from the list it didn't look like you had a problem with that.

Plus with CV gate out you can sync your Volca's with it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

September is a horrible month for me and I've been transferring over everything to an SSD and finally got everything up and running again so I'd be down for this.

I'd more than likely do some polyrythum stuff with piano, stings, and clock noises with a drone in the background.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Startyde posted:

They seem to be reliably ~$400 in my area. Unless "updated software" means the pay-for jjos, which is worth the dosh.

Still isn't shipping yet! I feel like it'll be discontinued quickly so I'm tempted regardless of how it sounds.

Apparently the bass synth portion is horribly out of tune between octaves.

The more I think about getting full fledged drum machine for my setup the more I'm drawn to getting a cheep piece of poo poo digital one that can be had for 1/2 the price of a volca and having these guys gently caress it to hell and back.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

net work error posted:

Having an actual drum machine makes synths so much more fun.

If you're willing to spend the extra cash I'm a firm believer in the Machinedrum. I don't want to say that it's the be all end all drum machine because that's impossible but it's very good.

fake edit: ^ TR-8 also a fun choice.

I know it's blasphemy but I don't like Roland... not because I think they're poo poo because LOL Roland but because I've never really liked their sounds.

Really the options I'm looking at is the volca beats+soldering iron to fix the horrible snare, an MFB 522, or getting a cheep one and sending it in to get circuit bent.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Bass tuning issues aside, that rhythm wolf's snare is pretty good and the interface looks a lot nicer than the beats. I have the beats annnnd they're too loving small. Good value for 125 but doesn't fit into my workflow which is why I'm selling em

Well, I did just pre-order the ipad air2 last night so I'll see what cool poo poo I can get out of it before making my next purchase. On that note the volca sample looks kind of interesting as a drum machine alternative since it's trying to be a clone of early studio samplers which for someone like me that loves 80-90's industrial drum sounds wouldn't be bad.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

I got all excited about the volca sample until I realized it has no audio in, only sync over iOS. kinda disappointing

If the app can be linked to my DAW along with it being a simple drag and drop to transfer sounds then it's not a big deal since the ability to only need my phone on me to record things that can go directly into the unit would be worth having to use my phone/tablet to bridge between computer and sampler and then back into the computer. The units should be out shortly though and the reviews for the app will really make or break it for me since if it requires linking to a "cloud" that you have to constantly sign into just so you can move things between an iso device and the unit then gently caress that.

If it's crap then I guess wait for the electribe sampler reviews to come out and see if that will work for me or maybe there will be a decent iso sampler/sequencer that has the same functionality/sound of the early samplers.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 21, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Flipperwaldt posted:

If that was the point, they could have skipped the hardware entirely and made an app called volca sampler.

It just doesn't make any sense.

Look man, some of us like our knobs and will pay good money for them. :colbert:

That being said, any good iso sampler/sequencers? Samplr looks cool but there's no way to automate/record things for playback so it's out, and outside of gadget and z3ta I'm sort of lost for good ipad music apps. (I already have alchemy and nanostusio)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

W424 posted:

What? It has 3 tracks of automation per part/sample.

Really?

When did they add this because in everything I've read up on it they never mention it's ability to be automated. Also, can the automation of each track be controlled externally?

minidracula posted:

Guys, my new synth doesn't work out of the box with my iPhone 5S, what do I do?!

Look at this poor who doesn't already have an iphone 6 :smugwizard:

I only have the 5 since I do the phone every 2 years thing

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 22, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Where did you see that?

I think it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZCop8U4gE

Which is basically what exactly what I was hoping the app would be. Also, it looks like the app thing could get ported to a computer fairly easily since it's not a wireless transfer.

It looks really awesome and even if iso devices no longer exist in 10 years it's a $150 fun little sampler.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Could be audio in or it could be a digital file transfer over that cable. Probably the latter

Yeah, it's probably a file transfer which would be slightly harder than just audio... but still really easy to hack.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fors Yard posted:

Just in time for Halloween, here is probably the most haunting and ominous thing I've ever made. Mostly used the cardinal image because it sort of reminded me of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut and the organ like sound. I now realize it is also pretty inspired by Richard Devine's Flask. All JX-3P with some verb.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/imepm

This isn't exactly the thread for this but have you thought about adding a bass line? The chord progression is great but it just feel a bit unfinished is all.

Also, listened to the user uploads for the volca sample since it's out in Japan already and unlike the bass/keys/beats I'm not hearing anything I don't like from it so I'm more than likely going to grab it. The iso only thing isn't a problem since due to my wife being in marketing/graphics I will always have something apple in my house to sample with.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 29, 2014

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

HotCanadianChick posted:

You've been repeating this the past couple pages when referring to the Volca Sampler and I'm guessing you mean iOS (as in the iPhone Operating System) and not the International Organization for Standardization?

Otherwise I'm very confused. :ohdear:

poo poo, yeah I meant iOS.

I deal with ISO on an almost daily basis since I work in the AEC industry and brain farted on it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

You know what? gently caress A CHRISTMAS ALBUM.

I think we should put our own synthy themed thing together. Everyone gets to submit one track that they'll compose for the project. It doesn't have to be a great track but there should be some discernible amount of thought into the production. If we wanted to theme it around something I'd say make it about the fall/winter season (a Solstice project, pagan the gently caress out of it). If you wanted to, your track could cross over enough that it could also be eligible for the SA XMAS album, but I'm thinking I might compose some ambient winter drones or reverbed out melancholy guitar noise ala My Bloody Valentine.

We could promote it on a Bandcamp page or something afterwards as well, not to make a buck necessarily but just to put the complete album "out there". Let's say the deadline is December 1st?

Is there a place we can start uploading songs for this yet?

Been working on something and while it isn't finished yet (and because of RL stuff it won't be for probably 2 weeks) but am I zipping and emailing it you one of you, posting it to soundcloud and linking it or what?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

What do you guys think about what to connect to a microbrute for drums and stuff?

I'm thinking about ordering this

http://www.amazon.com/Korg-VOLCABEATS-Analog-Rhythm-Machine/dp/B00CAKOVQM

Any other easy and affordable things I could hook up to the MB? I'm not a pro or anything, just barely started dabbling in this stuff

$200 or less options would be the volca beats (horrible snare), volca sample (have to have an ios device), and rhythm wolf (bass synth is not tuned).

If you want to spend $500 there is the TR-8.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

VoodooXT posted:

Who else besides Sizone and me have submitted?

Still working on mine, should be done this weekend.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
RL poo poo came up this weekend so while I got to work on my track a bit it's still not finished. Luckily I still have 2 more weekends to finish things up... and I might have 2 finished by that time since while working I got sidetracked starting something else.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
I know I said I would contribute a track, but I've had some really bad writers block in that I'll write 1-2 things that work well together but then anything I try to add after makes it go to complete poo poo. I'm not getting discouraged and saying gently caress this, but trying to write through this sucks and I don't know if I'll make the deadline.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Post your things here and the thread'll help you out :)

Yeah... about that.

https://soundcloud.com/bell-labs-orchestra/tunguska/s-Antry

Started to work on something when I got home and was able to cannibalize a few things from other "failed" tracks I've been working on for the last 3 weeks to get something that I'm actually really happy with.

I don't think it's 100% yet since I need to work on the mix a bunch still but the overall composition is about how I want it.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Missed me as well, but I haven't sent it to you yet as there are some minor things I'm correcting and I want to get it properly mastered first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

a_big_dog posted:

I didn't submit because I feel a bit too 'computer music' to take part, whoops!

In that spirit, here's my algorithmic SuperCollider jams. Sure hope you like waterfalls of drums
http://www.soundcloud.com/calumgunn

Both of the tracks I submitted are made from like 90% VST's so I don't think it's that big of a deal.