Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
I hope he makes an iOS/Android app. Imagine being able to sing a melody on the go, upload it to Dropbox, and mess with it at home. That would seriously be life-changing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

net work error posted:

Now I want a Machinedrum even though I'll probably never do any kind of live set. :( Why does this keep happening to me synth thread?

The Machinedrum is amazing. Never fails to do the job and do it well. Maybe the only piece of gear I own that I can't imagine parting with.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm seriously considering going to Guitar Center tomorrow and walking out with a Volca Beats and syncing it to my Microbrute and making analog synth fart jams. Is this a good idea? Y/N

Don't do it. Volca Beats is the only Volca unambiguously not worth purchasing, IMHO. The snare sounds really, really bad -- maybe the worst I've heard on any drum machine.

Speaking of intriguing synths with difficult-to-ignore flaws: has anyone heard anything even remotely decent come out of an OP-1? It's gorgeous and the interface is quite nifty, but judging from the demos I've heard, the sound engines leave something to be desired. Finding it difficult to believe that an $850 luxury synth could sound noticeably worse than a $300 Alesis Micron.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 30, 2014

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

renderful posted:

This is beauty out of the OP-1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iROMOOs-k24

Whether it sounds great or not, it looks hella fun with a very usable set of workflows/functions.

Yeah, that seems to be the consensus about this thing. I guess I can't wrap my head around people privileging a novel workflow over the actual sound you hear when you close your eyes. The sound in that video reminded me of my old entry-level Casio.

ashgromnies posted:

At the least, I hope it shows other manufacturers a direction they could be going in.

That's how I feel as well. TE is clearly way ahead of the pack in terms of synth UX. It would be amazing to see a DSI, Waldorf, Elektron, etc. take their ideas and run with them.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Has anyone actually heard the Rhythm Wolf yet? It's been over a month.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I was loving around with my MicroBrute yesterday and realized I don't like this thing as much as I thought I would. I've had this thing since right after Christmas and haven't felt the drive to mess with it all that much, and when I have, I haven't exactly been blown away. So I put it up on Craigslist and I was looking for new synths to buy, but everything I saw was either way too expensive or right in my price range but didn't thrill me. Any suggestions? After I sell this thing, the only hardsynth I'll have is my SH-201 that I've had for like 5 years and still love. I definitely want to get the Rhythm Wolf whenever that thing comes out, but besides that? I definitely don't want/can't afford a workstation, which I saw a lot of earlier.

e: I should probably also add that pads are my favorite and I've got a few pedals I'd be using to mess with the sound of whatever I got.

Word, the Microbrute is overrated, likely due to its price. It's a decent first synth, I guess -- very knobby, and the semi-modular aspect is very cool -- but as a standalone instrument, it sounds cheap.

As a replacement, I second the Blofeld. I don't own one (yet), but I did get a chance to play with one recently and was super-impressed. Extremely intuitive and sounds great. At its current price ($500), it's a steal.

Re: the Ion/Micron: I own an Akai Miniak, which is basically the Micron Mk. 2 (same sound engine, slightly nicer package), and I've never been able to get too inspired by it. It's flexible and all, but it's too hard to program without a software editor, and though the sound engine is decent, it's only decent. YMMV, obviously. If you're considering going that route -- and you probably should, as Microns are crazy cheap on eBay -- try to test one out first if you can.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

This is eerily close to the drum machine form factor of my dreams, but the lack of MIDI kind of knocks it down to toy status. Why don't more companies use that mini-jack the BeatStep has?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Sexy as hell. If I had any confidence whatsoever in my soldering skills, I'd buy one of these kits in a second.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

The PreenFM2 seems pretty nifty, but I haven't been too fond of what I've heard out of it. Can anyone point me to a great PreenFM2 demo?

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

I'm surprised to see the DSI Mopho is still $400, so what's the most Model-D-like analogue you can get for under $500? The brutes?

If it absolutely has to be analog, the Korg MS-20 is probably your best bet. Usually goes for $600 new, but it regularly dips below $500 on eBay. It's semi-modular, so you get a good amount of flexibility for the price.

Otherwise, I'd get the Waldorf Blofeld as it's pretty unbeatable as far as <$500 synths are concerned. Covers all of the ground that the Model D does -- three oscillators, a nice creamy 24db low-pass filter, standard amp/filter envelopes, etc. -- but also has a crazy-flexible modulation matrix, wavetable synthesis, high-pass/low-pass/comb/notch filters, multitimbral capabilities, weird alternative envelopes like ADSDSR, and on and on. It's admittedly short on knobs, but the interface is so well-laid-out that you don't really miss them. What's more, it sounds fantastic.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Oh crap I forgot about that holy grail, my guys haven't talked much about it and yes, dissatisfaction and the bad habit of not using reference gear to listen in so I pick up artefacts and the slightest ugly stepping. The MS-20 would let me do the YMO and DAF cover business, with a midi-CV box I could do what I need for on-location fun with keytar and SP404.

On the other hand I have never had anything Waldorf, and so many of me Swedish synthesizer nerds swear by their stuff. Hrm.

Just wanted to clarify that I meant the MS-20 Mini -- the original MS-20 tends to be quite a bit more costly.

As far as stepping goes, it's not an inherent issue with non-analog synths, it's just the result of inadequate engineering. For example, I've never had any stepping issues on the Blofeld.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 7, 2014

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

MrLonghair posted:

Just got home with a Korg Volca Keys and that's what I call value for money. I'd trade it for a Mopho in a heartbeat though.

FWIW, I haven't been too impressed with the Mopho desktop module. It sounds good, obviously, but it's not at all fun to program. If I could do it again, I'd opt for an MI Shruthi instead.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

VoodooXT posted:

Dave Smith revealed his new synth: The Pro 2.

Holy smokes. Not sure I need another monosynth in my life -- especially one with a street price of $1999 -- but that looks and sounds fantastic.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried buchla"

This is the best thing I've ever read

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

net work error posted:

~*Dave's Prophets*~

Yes, yes, I think this is the one

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

a_big_dog posted:

Go on, then; what would be a good, cheap gateway synth?

For a $500 synth, the Waldorf Blofeld desktop module is pretty incredible. Great sounds, flexible as hell. Pair it with a cheapish keyboard controller (the Alesis Q25 is decent) and you're good to go.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

Is the micron worth $150? I kinda want it for the vocoder...

Definitely. I have an Akai Miniak, which is literally just a Micron in a sturdier case, and it has plenty of good, usable sounds.

Caveat: if you like to make patches from scratch, know that it's pretty much 100% menu-diving here.

treasureplane fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 18, 2014

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Every demo of the Timbre Wolf is the funniest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnaaO_hCXfo

Comedy gold.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

64bit_Dophins posted:

I feel like the minilogue is a kind of successor to the microkorg (wood panel and all)

This, with all of the good and bad that comes with such a statement. Vanilla as hell soundwise (IMO), but cheap enough for a college kid, and at least this one's knobby.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Trig Discipline posted:

IDK how many of you are Kontakt users, but SoundDust just put out another library that looks fun as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtBxEcnX5YU

SoundDust is one of those companies where I kinda say "oh no" every time something of theirs comes out because I know I'm going to buy it. They just really focus on injecting chaos into their instruments in really creative ways and I can't resist that poo poo.

Hadn't heard of them before. Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

Your Computer posted:

this wonderful lil' synth thread is one of my favorite places on the forums and i'd hate to see it disappear - are y'all migrating somewhere else and if so where? :shobon: