Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

ok now the synths included in FL Studio are too weak and I am learning how to use Euro Rack Simulator so that i can harvest sounds directly from the mind of god

Use the 'audible instruments' modules, which are ports of Mutable Instrument's hardware modules. They sound fantastic and will eat days of your life knob twiddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cryptography requirements have motivated modern OS' to put a ton of effort into building entropy, feeding in values from a dozen different subsystems (time, free memory, user keyboard timings, mouse movements, and so on). This means any random number produced by calling that function is going to be relatively high quality. There's no guarantee your vsts are using that function call, but the option is certainly there. It's a big waste to try to come up with your own source of randomness because people much smarter than any of us have put years of effort in to it.

I guess if you enjoy the process of rigging Geiger counter to your computer go for it, hacking on computers is fun. But you're not gonna a perceptibly superior randomness.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For those geiger type pops play with a burst and/or a ratchet module. And a euclidean generator to trigger them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

snorch posted:

Holy crap I've been wanting animoog forever thank you.

It's sad that it appears to be abandoned software, the noises you can get out of it are delicious and I guess it still performs that function, but they've been updating some of their other stuff to auv3 and it's unfortunate that animoog hasn't gotten that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Animoog is split into separate iphone and ipad apps so if you got one of each, make sure to pick it up on both.

IAP doesn't transfer between the two which is infuriating, but such is life. Blame Apple for being dumb or blame Moog for not making a universal app. :iiam:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dongle hell is the reality we live in, so at the very least buy the biggest usb hub you can afford to try and space out the upgrades.

Technically it's an improvement over the pre-usb days but it sure doesn't feel like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's my path, use software synths for everything and blow the budget on MIDI controllers to satisfy the knob twiddling urge.

It's still a money sink but it's a lot less money to get going.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

At least mutable instruments intentionally open sourced their stuff so things like this could happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

brand engager posted:

If you put usbc on my midi controller I will physically manifest in your house and make you solder in a new port when it inevitably gets broken

The specification talks about that, the ports need to handle some specific wrenching force to get certified. The cables are supposed to break before the port as well. I assume usb-a and usb-b did that too but I'm not gonna dig up the spec sheet to compare differences.

I have no doubt that the wrench threshold is not enough to deal with us humans being idiots or vendors cheating the tests but if you take the usb group's words at face value, this is not a problem! :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Splinter posted:

The new MOTU Ultralite (mk5) is finally USB-C. Some iPads are using C now too (Pros and the latest Air I believe), so we might be seeing more C adoption in the audio interface world. Having an interface that can be used for an iPad an computer w/ the same cable does sound appealing.

The AUDIO4c has two usb-c ports on the back for connecting to both iOS stuff and desktops. So it's already happening!

It also has a usb-a port for connecting midi controllers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's better than it used to be. The lovely stuff is still happening too much but the fact that it's getting reported is still pretty important, it makes it harder for the bigots to hide.

None of us will be alive when the problem is solved but I think humans will get there eventually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Be careful which new videos you watch though because it's like 80% modular demos now and it may cause impulse purchases.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same reason anyone buys any other groovebox, being creative inside a restricted tool.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just like like with real world instruments or modules, there is massive benefit to loving around for an hour everyday and seeing what order comes out of the chaos. There's definitely utility to knowing the conventional way of running patches, it saves a lot of recreating the wheel, but the real value comes when you start feeding mutilated waves into random cv inputs. Having no limits on the number of modules you conjure out of nothing is pretty silly but it is fun.

I feel like Cohen's videos are too much "rest of the loving owl" to be really useful for learning but it's hard to compete with the number of videos he cranks out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

$10k worth of eurorack modules, kids love plugging stuff in and turning knobs, right??

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The biggest problem with iOS stuff is all the apps are designed for iPads and are agony to use on a phone. On the other hand, it's good that 99% of them are buy once use anywhere so at least you can do it,.

Latency seems good enough, and the form factor (whether a phone or tablet) is unbeatable for screwing around away from home.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Voice of Labor posted:

just lol at mixers. get an audio interface with a bunch of inputs. grow massive cabley roots. drive steel rods into the ground to literally ground you and your equipment

:same:

Mixers are great to fiddle with when the film crew comes in to do a documentary about your creative process. But for actually doing stuff an octopus worth of inputs is where the fun is at.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

B33rChiller posted:

Maybe use some kind of notation to just jot it down on a notepad before the idea fades?

Use whatever voice memo app your phone has to sing it out. Or beatbox as the case may be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's very much an MS-10 clone but it feels a little more gritty to me, makes me feel like I'm playing an NES.

I just wish it could sync with anything, I'd use it more if it fit into an ecosystem better. There's people that came up with hacks to do it but they're all a bit crappy.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rolo posted:

I’m also surprised how good some DS games are. All in all a good purchase.

Lots of great 2d games, 3D was mostly misses. Mario kart and Metroid were hand destroyers, not recommended for old RSI crippled hands.

The Tetris game that came out was fantastic, had stellar music. They did some fantastic remakes of Nintendo classics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So Math posted:

Airwindows is pretty rad.

Everyone seems to know who he is and what he does, and somehow all his videos have a max of 1k views.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Send that to mutable instruments, it'll be in their next physical modelling firmware.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Load up youtube and search for synthesizer tutorials, congrats on your new music genre.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

landgrabber posted:

the real things costing thousands of dollars and coating your entire basement in patch cables would be a reason

Gotta fill out the background for your vlogs somehow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rutibex posted:

Maybe you should circuit bend them and sell them as unique one-off noise makers to a synth forum. Value-add!

Do this well enough and suddenly you have a BRAND and people will be begging you to make them one. At that point you sell them for $10k and live the easy life.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Speaking of vcvrack, version 2 is due out in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1yg9ib_oI

Paid version will have a vst mode.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It never feels like I have enough LFOs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The desk isn't as important as the cable management and power outlet availability. :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Beatboxing to trigger drums is some fourth dimensional thinking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Never heard of a soil reverb but I'll try it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That guy's videos keep popping up in my recommendations and I can't get over how fun it looks to run a guitar through the sp-404. Shame my gimpy wrists can't really handle playing anymore.

This one is pretty neat too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8e6SP1qt4g

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone know of a good book/resource/whatever for signal processing? Obviously a quick google reveals a billion results so I guess I'm asking for a goon suggestion to narrow the selection down. The more it presents examples that I can fiddle around with the better.. long winded theory or terminology dumps is gonna wear me out fast.

In short I recently got the Audulus 4 beta, which is an iOS modular synth. It can run as an auv3 plugin now and I've been using it as an FX processor to do terrible things to the outputs of my favorite softsynths. I've had some fun googling for formulas and plugging them in but I think it's time to actually start teaching myself more than gain adjustments or mangling the pitch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used SunVox for eons as my tracker because the modular sound design is too dang fun. I also love how it runs on everything.

But if you just want traditional sample based tracking, yes , schism is where you look.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Soldering is one of those things that seems scary until you do it. The you're like "oh, that's all there is to it?"

So anyone who isn't sure they could do it, get a decent iron and go try it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

If you have an iPad

ApeMatrix and the Audiomodern apps (especially Riffer) are the most fun way to get stuck in a 4 bar loop hellhole with a ios device.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Martytoof posted:

Uh excuse me I believe you'll find this is the unnecessary GAS *reinforcement* thread, not the common sense GAS workaround solution thread :|

( I have my iPad hooked into so much stuff right now thanks to this little baby :3: : )

Yeah it has latency, but just for light sequencing or bapping it's perfect :)

Sounds like you need an audio4c so you can work it into your ecosystem with a single usb cable!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use whatever pocket computer you got on hand and hum the melody or rhythm into a voice memo.

Then by the time you sit down at your empire of gadgets you still feel the magic and can turn it in to something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Eurorack is a gashole I refuse to let myself get into, no matter how badly I crave the noises that a data bender makes.

My attorney will be in touch regarding anyone tempting me to break this rule.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

Why doesn’t VCVrack at least have a sale on the core modules this week, bah

Maybe they forgot in the scramble to get 2.0 out. The claim was it'd be done this month..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Matt Zerella posted:

AUM and the Rozetta sequencers for iOS are half off right now for any iOS synth people.

It's me, I'm the idiot that bought them both a week ago. Oh well the apps are good enough they deserve full price.

(though I'm kind of annoyed that rozetta apps are categorized as instruments when they're actually midi generators)