Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I watched it expecting it to be video game/chiptune dogshit or some modular/dawless noodling.
But like the some of the first clips were playing and I was thinking ”thats a hella nice drone”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I used Scream Tracker a lot in mid nineties - early 2000’s. Used to be able to do everything with just the keyboard, made hundreds of songs/things on it. Tried it out again maybe 6 years ago and discovered that I had forgoten everything, it was extremely limited and lovely. Tried Renoise and got a bit further with it before abandoning it and going back to my regular DAW.

Last summer I bought a Renoise lisence for my laptop and spent some time with it.
Went back to Live in a couple of weeks, just so used to visual arrangment and being able to see waveforms, moving sections/tracks around etc. No going back for me.

Also have digitakt and analog keys, the pattern chain in akeys would be loving great if it was possible to save chains. Only usable ”song mode” is to have another sequencer send the program changes, worked great on live when I tried it but not something I’d do normally.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

I er...
Ordered an Alesis SR16. Those are the sounds I constantly return to and I like bad 90s industrial so I think I made the right choice for me.

I love 90s bad industrial drum machines, Yamaha ry30 is the one for me. Sold the hardware ~15 years ago but still using the snare samples when doing layered snares.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I didn't get much of ambient/drone/noise stuff untill I started doing that kind of stuff myself, now I'm leaning much more in that direction vs chord progressions and melodies etc.
I built a diy feedback loop pedal a few years ago and put together a pedalboard kind of deal with a volca sample and some pedals i wasn't using. Really got into noise from there.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ricecult posted:

I feel like The Clash is a good example, they were one of the bands that defined punk, but an album like London Calling is not what people usually think of when they think of something sounding punk.

Lol, I heard the whole album first time last year. Was expecting more like the title track and it was really jarring when it went straight to old timey rock n roll bullshit about a loving cadillac on track 2.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

I'm not going to go reread thousands of pages but this thread absolutely predicted the rise in price of romplers a couple years ago

for field recordings, should I just try to capture stuff on my iphone mic? get a baby zoom / tascam? what about the lightning connector mic attachments for iphone? I want to grab wildlife sounds and like, crackling bonfire noises (we're going camping soon). probably all very quiet stuff. and 24bit / 44100 for octatrack compatibility

I have recorded a bunch of stuff with iphone, it’s surprisingly usable. The default app records in some lovely format, needs to be converted with itunes (possibly the worst piece of software ever). I’ve thought about getting a recorder but would probably never carry it around vs a phone, mic for the phone might be fine for me.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

skull mask mcgee posted:

if you’re talking about the voice memos app those are just m4a files which can be converted with most normal encoding software though you may need iTunes to copy them off phone.

you might also want to change the recording format to “uncompressed” in the settings app because the compression is really aggressive which is fine for the intended purpose but maybe less fine if you’re using them for audio production.

I remembered that Audacity couldn't open those files, checked and it needs the FFmpeg library on pc.
Now I dont need itunes wich is loving sweet, thanks!

W424
Oct 21, 2010

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just out of interest, what distortion pedals do people like with their synths? I was playing some simple acidy bass line off my microfreak through a couple of mine yesterday (initially my SF300, then my Boss OD3 which sounded great), I've got a few more kicking around but so far the amount of character the OD3 adds is a winner in my book.

Wayhuge swollen pickle, definetly doesn’t cut any bass. Boss hyperfuzz, digitech deathmetal, wmd geiger counter all work decently. Also Ibanez tonelok bass distortion, works great on drums. Also a graphic eq is really useful/mandatory with distortion.

Boss sd-1 is utter loving garbage on anything that isnt a guitar before a tube amp.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I got the Pigments update yesterday, it rules. I remember back in v collection 4 days Arturias synths were buggy garbage that sounded like poo poo, now I use v & fx collection allmost exclusively for my third party plugin needs and their ”software center” is the best I’ve ever used.

Still wouldn’t buy their hardware, microbrute was such a piece of poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

inferis posted:

I liked my microbrute okay but I hated the filter so I never used it

I got mine for cv/gate and neither worked. Gates wouldnt trigger my envelopes and cv wasn’t nowhere near calibrated (IIRC user calibration was not recommended, would change tuning when you removed the screwdriver etc). Synth itself just sounded meh.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

inferis posted:

Weird because aren’t their sequencer controllers wildly popular?

Wasn’t mb their first (?) attempt at hardware so maybe they got better at it at some point?
It’s not that their controllers don’t have problems, theres a giant thread on muffwiggler on micro usb breaking in beatsep pros.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
You can also use AC coupled with modular but only for clock/triggers.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A MIRACLE posted:

everything should come with speakers and run on batteries imo

The only good thing about volca speakers is that they are not visible, just useless poo poo.
No batteries on anything ever, nope.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

For your price range get a Erica Synths Pico system 3.

Just know that if you don't have at least 3000$ to throw at it over the next 2 years, it's probably better not to get into eurorack. It's expensive, way more expensive than desktop synths

Yeah, I saw the 400$ and thought that would maybe be enough for a case and power.
I have somehow put ~7000€ into euro in about 5 years and I barely use it nor am particulary interested it in anymore. Eurocrack indeed.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
All of the above. Desktop at home, laptop elsewhere. I nowadays usually start with recording something on the modular, synths or feedback/noise pedalboard and arrange and add to it in Live. This works for me because pure DAWless is noodly dogshit and this way I can mix and mangle it into a ”song”. I got really tired of sequencing everything in Live a couple of years ago, felt like doing assembly line stuff. Also really not into plugin instruments, theres just something missing, never feel like playing or programming them.

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I’m buying the behringer dfam the second its available and maybe a bolca or two and then post about them on gearslutz or whatever and hope people get hella mad.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

A LOVELY LAD posted:

10 years old but given the reuptake in late 90s/early 2000s style FPSs this feels pretty relevant.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvcKVpQTuU&t=69s

That was a really weird record after their previous stuff that ruled. Definetly wasn’t ready for loving 303 and idm back then.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

watho posted:

i’m also very much not a fan of focusrite who owns novation because the windows drivers for their interfaces have caused me so much headache. i’m not the only one but i’ve heard people say they haven’t had any problems so ymmv but they seem to make poo poo with the assumption that you’re gonna use them with a mac.

I’m still using a Saffire 56 from ~2009 and recently found out that it should have stopped working on windows 10 like 2 years ago. Gonna be fun when it finally does.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

MSPain posted:

i am deeply in love with bitwig studio. it's one of those rare reminders that software can be good

It rules, just switched from Live.
The only thing I miss from Live is the midi capture feature.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Arms_Akimbo posted:

What's the catch with the behringer pro vs mini, besides behringer being general assholes. A 4 voice 16 osc prophet vs clone for $100 sounds too good to be true

Paraphonic. This isn't the 'slutz, no cool points for hating the behr.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Give in to the dark side, buy an ipad and get the model d app.

Making music on ipad sucks absolute rear end.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

we all know that all reviews would have some deal breaking negative or fixate on how egregiously they copied someone else's synth.

They're just hoping to have less negativity out there so people buy their stuff blind.

Lol wtf

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Yeah nah, call me when gibson pulls a kirn corksniffer if you want to play that angle, uli’s not alone in being an rear end in a top hat but he’s too loud to hide it in a crowd.

Lol at people still being buttmad about this

W424
Oct 21, 2010

rio posted:

How easy is it to make robot fart sequences on those keyboards though

You can't, they are for unsexy wank like chords and poo poo.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Laserjet 4P posted:

minilogue, xd if you want digital too.

The og is pretty dogshit compared to xd, the filter sucks.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

snorch posted:

You wouldn’t download a Virus.

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/osirus/

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Or a bigger interface with more inputs!

Audio interface (with adat ports) if you want to actually record something, mixer is fine for loving around but useless for multitracking.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

JamesKPolk posted:

not really true for e.g. 12-24 channel desktop mixers (if you know what you're doing and can make it all the way through a manual)

multitrack recording is not really all its cracked up to be either unless you're trying to skip a daw (but still want stems???) or have a bunch of interns to do poo poo for you. if you're doing anything w/ faders you only have 2 hands. if you're micing live drums then sure but thats not really the purview of this thread

I’m talking about recording a bunch of synths at the same time, into DAW, for processing/editing/mixing. Instead of all the poo poo in a single stereo track, it might be fine ”if you know what you're doing” but I would assume a beginner hasnt spent a decade mixing allready.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

xzzy posted:

Is this the part where I whine about what a clusterfuck it is to configure or update firmware on a Korg nanokey using a windows computer? Even the big companies can be clowns when it comes to selling stuff that works.

I accidentally installed korg usb driver last month and discovered that it will still gently caress up your windows registry.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

minidracula posted:

Hrm. What did it do?

I have a version of it installed and I don't recall/haven't noticed badness, but I probably installed it quite a while ago now. I should poke around and see.

It uses all available registry entries, nothing else with usb midi works. Uninstalling fixed it but I remember having to manually unfuck it ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Trig Discipline posted:

Although I own everything I use completely legally nowadays, for the first 10-15 years of my recording life it was pretty much all pirated software because I simply didn't have the money to pay for any of it.

Same, went legit when I could afford it. Biggest reason was to finally have a setup that actually worked. I remember rumours that Cubase had something build in that the crack would work for a while and then it strated crashing and corrupting projects, definetly seemed to be the case in sx2 era. Also gently caress trying to keep cracked plugins updated or trying to figure out which one of is loving up this time.