Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well I got the Mininova today. It's so much loving fun so far. The vocoder is especially fun because I've never had one before.

I haven't stopped playing with it since I got it, but I am right now to tell y'all that it has a screaming-type patch called "CowFrog" and it basically sounds like if those 2 animals tried to gently caress each other and the mic that was recording the sound was chained through a distortion pedal.

Okay, back to beeping and booping now.

Please record cowfrog, this sounds like something that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Here you go. First there's some hot vocoder action and some "chubby bass", and then comes the main event: cows and frogs making love to each other passionately throughout the night.

This is glorious. Definitely more frog than cow I hear, can that be edited?

As I was listening to this I got a bunch of alert messages from work so I think that enhanced the experience.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oldstench posted:

So...what have you guys done with your equipment lately?
http://vimeo.com/93923609

This is really cool and everyone should watch this.

net work error fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 8, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

It was posted on the previous page, it's very cool. I like the fact there's 2 videos on the page separated by 2 years, I like to think it took that long to assemble everything! The other video is completely different gear though, god knows where they have the space (and money!) for all of this.

Well crap this is what I get for not clicking on Vimeo. I'll edit it up now thanks for bringing me up to speed.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Just got my Machinedrum. :woop: Man I'm going to spend alot of time learning this thing, it's got so many sounds and options and possibilities and routing and *breathes heavily into a bag*

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

It's only one cord that connects the keyboard to the main circuit board... so while your digging around in there, mine as well mod it!

I bet it sounds better after added more wood to the sides.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Synth thread would you eat a synth?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Scatterfold posted:

Finally pulling the plug and buying a Machinedrum UW+ today :getin: gettin ready to devote my life to the gods of param locks

Do iiiiiiit as long as you're financially capable

I've had so much fun with mice since I got it. They're such versatile machines it's amazing.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

So when do you think development of the electronics actually started? Week after they showed the thing?

I honestly think this what happened.

"Oh poo poo people actually want this, better figure something out."

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

Probably more appropriate for the VST thread but Eventide is giving away (code:09DCA5AC) a channel strip plug until July 8th that will be $249 afterward. No iLok needed but you do have to run their jive license manager soft. Sounds awesome, includes—

Emphasis mine. Their servers are getting hammered here's a direct download if you were able to get your license but not download. Buy Dan G a beer if you see him at a trade show he's a good guy.

Where can I find their license manager? I see that they require iLok account and software.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Question for those with Elektron gear, is saving patterns different from saving kits? I'm having difficulty grasping the concept on my Machinedrum.

To my understanding you can create your kits but the pattern you have on when you save it is not saved. If I wanted to save the pattern I would have to create a song using the kit instead. Am I understanding this correctly?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DaVE Smith is cooking up something new and interesting looking from the pics they have chosen to share. An official announcement should be coming soon.

https://twitter.com/DaveSmithInst/status/478961960977854464/photo/1
https://twitter.com/DaveSmithInst/status/479314677608886272

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I didn't know that they were getting into the modular game? I guess that was a fun tease of them showing the Curtis filter eurorack module.

It's definitely an interesting synth and I think I'd prefer it over the Sub37 not that I'll be buying either anyways...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So on a similar DSI note, I'm thinking of replacing my Mopho but I'm not sure what monosynth would be similar and have as much functionality. I dig the Mopho but the menu diving drives me mad (and don't say use the editor because it's frustrating too).

Suggestions on similar synths? What I liked most about the Mopho was the flexibilty it had thanks to the DCO's. In the end I may try and just sell it to get the keyboard version of it tbh.

e: No System-1 please I don't need to scatter myself TIA.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

ashgromnies posted:

The paraphonic features on the Pro 2 are pretty sweet, do other mono synths have that?

Not nearly as robust but off the top of my head, the Volca Keys and Sub37.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Anae posted:

Mutable's Shruthi XT?

I was actually just remembering this. It would be a great replacement and lots of knobs.

I guess the only issue would actually be building it...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'VE MISSED TALKING TO YOU ALL NOT ON FACEBOOK SO MUCH

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This setup from Alesandro Corsini crazy and wonderful and also really well thought out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMXEvNUjgCg

It's impressive how much he does live as opposed to recorded or sequenced.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

When trying to MIDI sync between my Machinedrum and Ableton the timing is off and seems to be doubled going either way. Anyone have a Machinedrum and is syncing with Ableton or vice versa and is syncing? Googling around I see that bad MIDI timing is something that's common with syncing these devices (mostlyon Ableton's end). If I can't get this to work I may end up going computerless and just re-creating my loops on the individual synths which would be a pain. :(

My chain for now is Ableton (Master clock and midi clips on different channels) -Midi Out-Midi In-> Machinedrum (just clock) -Midi Thru-Midi In->x0xb0x for now.

net work error fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 4, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

It might be something with Turbo mode being enabled in the global settings. I have had some sync issues in the past (either between the software and instrument or MIDI interface and instrument) but turning off some of the unnecessary MIDI features for me in the Machinedrum (and turning off most of the MIDI sync options in Ableton unless they're important) can make a difference.

I turned off Turbo mode and also changed around MIDI channels and I got it to work. It's not quantized perfectly but I can adjust for that in live. :) Thanks for the tip.

net work error fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 4, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

BKPR posted:

theory question for y'all: does bleep usually follow bloop, or is the other way around more traditional?

Coming from a techno perspective, German/Berlin techno will generally be much more bleep heavy, generally in triplets of some kind. Detroit techno I've found to favor the bloop more but either is fair game as long as they flow for at least a beat. If you're more tech house inclined definitely stick to bloops because a bleep stands out too much and usually isn't favorable in that kind of genre.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Unless posted:

Basically, if it's German or Swedish, strap your helmet on and suffer through the documentation.

Whoa this is sweet. Can I steal this for an avi or does someone else have this already?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Oh my God I would not have been able to drive normally. I'm assuming you drove really slowly like if you were carrying a newborn.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The organizing of patterns and songs and etc on the Machinedrum has finally clicked in my brain and I'm upset it took me this long to understand it. Hardware is strange.

If the Ryhtm Wolf demo is legit it sounds better as an acid box than as a drum machine although like mentioned above it might be better once we hear a demo that isn't just a line in on a Mac.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Swagger Dagger posted:

My guess is that the Rhythm Wolf doesn't actually exist, it's a mass shared hallucination.

Going with this theory. Synthesized memories! :tinfoil:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sonicstate had a walkthrough on the new Modulus 002 and it's a high end synth (:20bux:) but it has some really cool features that I thought were interesting. Specifically the ability to actually edit your patches or sequences via a web browser and have them pushed to your synth. Even better is that this small company is open sourcing it to hopefully have other companies implement this feature as well. It could be a huge feature if it becomes popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7Hdb0hDL4E

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I work with bash/Linux, am I cool enough to keep posting in this thread?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

Despite having certain opinions about the Aria line I like to try machines first hand in order to make up my mind.

Talk about inefficient. Most of us just said it was poo poo the moment the demo came out and called it a day. Not always the best tactic but hey it worked out alright this time.

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Here, let me solve this problem for you, I know it's really complicated so you might want to take notes: Turn the knob on the top right.

Is that the ~Scatter~ knob?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Also looking for the reason why they hid the body under the garage.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

And a lot of modular :can:

But at least they do it with what they've got.

Techno jokes ITT.

The Machinedrum has been the best purchase I've ever made. This thing is so versatile and I can't believe that I thought I would never need a drum machine since I had samples. Drum machines are cool y'all.

e: That article on Karenn is really good thanks for that.

net work error fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 5, 2014

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Another sneak peek at the PO-12 by Cuckoo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG5a15IJqSc

I'm buying at least 2.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

That is amazing! Shame it's just such a fragile little box.

The previous videos from TE they mention that the videos made thus far are still just the prototype and the final product will actually come with a case and sturdier construction although the PCB look is pretty cool.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mrwimmer posted:

So, once again I poke my head in to remind people that Chipmusic is a thing that exists.

I got an arduinoboy, which lets me get 5-pin midi out from LSDj. I'm using it to drive a Volca keys and a Shruthi. It sounds something like this.

https://soundcloud.com/mrwimmer/i-can-wip

I am having entirely too much fun with this. It's really nice to be able to drive hardware I like with software I like more :dance:

I'd be interested in your thoughts on this new chiptune synth that came out recently which is Arduino based as well:
http://soulsbysynths.com/atmegatron-complete/

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Prophet 12 do it do it do it do it

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Turns out you can use the Microbrute as a Midi keyboard in Ableton when connected via USB which is helpful if you're low on desk space like I am. Gonna try it out for a little while until I get annoyed with tiny keys.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

This looks like so much fun. I'd make such a fool of myself if I had access to this.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The Cleaner posted:

Please check out my Robot Fart Box demo video. It is my crowning achievement.. and not a total rip off of Jexus.

http://youtu.be/gqp4vpEq_-M

This is cool but I will not go into modular stop that stop showing me cool things.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

~*Dave's Prophets*~

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Man these sound like lovely 80s band names what an awful idea.

Akai Senpai

I hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

So those with the OP-1, how well do they play with other synths and overall would you recommend them for a more techno/industrial sound? I know they're built rather well but the sound of it is still a mystery to me.

e: After some quick research they don't play with anyone ever but they're still cool and that screen is fantastic.

net work error fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 21, 2014