Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like to preface this with an apology if I'm kramering in here like the overenthusiastic rookie that I am, but this synthesis bug has me very excited. It was sparked by my wife buying me a midi keyboard for xmas. I have next to zero training, knowledge, practice, or history with making music. But, I'm very curious, and have been watching many a youtubery in an effort to learn, and expand my musical tastes. The Bad Gear episode on the Korg DS-10 pinged a lightbulb in my head, and I realised I have a copy of it on an old flash cart kicking around. I made this with it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEqn-Tx8YwU I'm not really interested in critique, because it brings me joy, and was great fun to make. I hope it brings you joy too.

I used to be strictly a metalhead, now I'm walking along, bobbing my head to Suzanne Ciani, and have a clutch of pocket operators on the way. At least the sticker price of anything above them made me balk, and think, "I'd buy a new laptop for that money first." Do I need an early intervention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

nah. get yourself a copy of Arturia V Collection when it goes on deep discount. Maybe some iPad or iPhone apps if you do that sort of thing.

Watch Hainbach’s channel if you don’t already. He’s probably my favorite of the synthtubers at this point, if only because he actually releases music and doesn’t do advertising “review” videos

Hainbach, audiopilz, alex ball, true cuckoo, look mum no computer, andrew huang, red means recording, bobeats, dawless jammin, anthony seeha, and aquarium co-op have been the rotation of late.

I'm already a ways down the android path, so I'd be looking at actual hardware synth money to do anything ios. beepbox.co has been pretty great for me so far.

eta: I really enjoyed this documentary called "Bright Sparks" about the history of synths: Side A Side B. It introduced me to what Alessandro Cortini has to say, and I appreciate his style.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 27, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

pretty sure there's a thread for ableton specifically. Yep, thought so, here it is: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148880

Please don't take this as any kind of discouragement. I'm super new here, so I don't have an opinion about what conversations should happen where, it's just meant as a helpful link.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Here's something I'm noticing, and not enjoying, while attempting to get a view of pricing and availability: It's tough to filter things down, at least by categories, to find synths that don't have keyboards. It's like, I'm interested in just seeing what's available without a keyboard, at what price. But, all the instrument retailer websites I've been to lump everything in under "keyboards".

I don't have the first clue how to play a keyboard. I'm interested in synthesis, and what might be possible without a keyboard. I think I might be one of those weirdos that is just into strange sounds, the experimental stuff, and maybe down the road, become a musician after learning how to control a synthesizer. I'd like to see if there's something on the more affordable side of things, compact, battery or USB power if possible, that I can make strange sounds on the go with, but I have to scroll past a bunch of keyboard equipped stuff that cost more than my car. Is there anywhere out there that focusses on what I might be looking at?

net work error posted:

You may want to check out Loopop on YouTube as well. He does similar no non-sense not played up reviews and stuff.
Nice one. Thanks!

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 28, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

your car costs $300?

there’s keyboard stuff, standalone modules, and there’s modular synth stuff like eurorack, etc that’s meant to go into a rack.

what’s your budget and what kind of music are you interested in making? Ambient? Drone? Robot farts and bleep-bloops? Generative? Sample-based stuff? Looping? Random?

That’s going to guide what sorts of modules you should be looking at. IMO a small keyboard helps just for being able to punch in sequences/play notes and chords and you don’t need to know very much to do that, but there’s a ton of stuff under $1k—under $500 even (under $350 even)—that’s totally keyboard free. And stuff in that price range with keyboards too. In fact, some of the most interesting and compelling synths to me under $500 have keyboards (Arturia Microfreak, Minibrute 2)

look at stuff by Behringer, Roland, Korg, Novation, Moog (Mother32 family), Dreadbox, and Arturia

I hear what you're saying, but I'm not really expressing what my actual frustration is. I apologize for my poor communication.
The thing that is frustrating me, is not being able to narrow down my search with local retailers' websites to specifically target the kinds of products you mentioned. I'm having to scroll past many things that will likely never be in my range of use cases. A prophet certainly goes for more than a '97 mercury sable.

I don't really have any clearly defined goals, apart from being able to pack most everything into a bag, and bring it with me to the park, or a friend's place whenever that's something I can do again. The idea of not wanting a keyboard attached is also coming from the fact that I already have a launchkey mini.

What I was trying to accomplish was to get an idea of what might be available locally, and for what price. It's one thing to read a price on here, then have to add x% for the fact it's being sold in Canada, then do a currency conversion. It's another to look at the local retailer's website and get a real idea of what it might cost me.

I was just sharing my minor frustrations. The korg nts-1 kit looked appealing, and I was interested in seeing if there was one near me, and if there was anything else similar on the market.

eta, I re-read your post, and thank you very much for giving me some lines to research. That should help narrow down the search.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 28, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not actually shopping to purchase, more to just learn aboout the market. I should be well enough set up to be able to do what I'd like for the foreseeable future soon enough. I'm aleready way beyond my depth with a midi keyboard, cakewalk, and a handful of soft synth vsts.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

re: chromatic keyboards or whatever they're called, i made a plug-in that turns your white keys into whatever scale you want and your black keys to chords in that scale. it's at spacepoodle.net. it is free

it's nice when you're like me and don't know how to play keys

That's a great idea, thanks! And it's not useless for me, since I'm not buying ableton 11. I've still got a lot to learn before I'm done using cakewalk, so free plugins are wonderful for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

In homage to my fine tfr pals, and many a photo of a goon's first mosin, check out my first instruments

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

First thing I did with them was figure out sync and volume. Then my wife and daughter played along with me, as we just fiddled around with them. Super fun so far, and I know we've barely figured out how to scratch the surface, so I will have plenty more to explore and experiment with.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm only just dipping my toes into listening to a lot of these different kinds of music. I've found that the more ambient kind of stuff is nice for walking around, blocking out street noise, and having a soundtrack/soundscape going in the background. Mostly just Suzanne Ciani and Alessandro Cortini so far. I like it for the kinds of situations where I might have played some Burzum or Darkthrone previously. I absolutely understand being bored by a lot of it. If I try to just listen intently, it can be very difficult to chill out down to the pace where I can enjoy the music. If it is something that's just happening in the background, I like it a lot more than whatever nonsense sounds are coming from the built up environment.

That said, I listened to Stambecco on some big headphones while pulling a toboggan, walking through the snow, up on the mountain recently. A cloud had settled over the area, and was dumping snow on me. The song felt to me like the perfect reflection of how it felt to be there at that moment.

Also:

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

i think as long as you're not going around like "ambient isn't real music, its for boring no-talent people" there's no shame is just saying "its not for me;" no need to force it. and maybe sometime in the future you'll come across a piece that's really affecting to you. but you've only got so many hours to do stuff you like and as long as you're not closing yourself off to any exploration or trying new things imo its fine to just know what you want to spend time on

This is great advice to apply to any style of music, and it took me a shamefully long time to grasp this concept myself.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

Alessandro Cortini is one of my favorite people. Not just musicians, but people.
Word. I only just learned of him when I watched Bright Sparks. He comes on at around the half hour mark, if the time stamp doesn't work. This was a very interesting bit of history for someone like me.

ETA: I was googling to find more artists that used a Buchla, and came across Cortini dunking on a rando on gearsloots. https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=10322943&postcount=9

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 14, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I find myself getting super distracted every time I go near my volca FM. Oops, where did the hour go? Just noodling around, making little ditties and what would have sounded like outer space sounds to child me in the 80's. It's just so easy to open the case, turn it on and play with.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I need to do a trip jam? report. I made a stab at making a bit of an ambient soundtrack for the background of making chicken/turkey soup tonight. Volca FM and NTS-1 with a launchkey mini controlling the nts-1. Managed to get some real spooky sounding, relatively high pitched drone sound on the nts-1, and taped a key down with scotch tape. Every once in a while, between chopping veggies, I'd tap some arpeggiated bells into the FM, maybe mess with algo, and the sustain knobs to make it a bit more eerie. Crowd of one family member enjoyed the hell out of it. Just let things ring on until a bit longer than uncomfortable. So far it has only been frantic bleeps and bloops that I've made, but I like this deeply uncomfortable soundscape stuff.

Ok Comboomer posted:

(snip)Hainbach’s last album is arguably ambient, but it’s anything but “mellow”. (snip)
Anyway, sorry to bring him up again- but his recent video output has been super instructional in terms of making noise/tone-based music, and thinking about noise/tone-based music. His video from today is all about blowing out your speakers by being careless and stupidpinging, and using resonances and it’s pretty cool. Definitely not something I had ever thought about

The video you mention was what inspired me to bring the gear into the kitchen and mess around while I cooked!
Also, just listening to his latest album while I read the forum. Strange coincedences! Schwebungssummer makes me want to headbang.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I think this thread might get a chuckle out of a quick clip from this long video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BaxUwf5fHY&t=927s
Important to start at 15m:27s.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Here's your obligatory April 1st synthesis release: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SuM3Yhnc-4

Hear that sweep at 5min24s ? :chef: :chefkiss: dangit, you know what I mean.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'd like to share something for the benefit of other beginners that might be reading. If you're looking to mess around with a few different types of synths in one place, and have an android or windows device, Caustic is great. I've been fiddling with the modular in the windows version (totally free), in an attempt to better learn what the different components do, and how they can work together. It's got a pretty simple interface, and good tutorial videos on youtube, which go module by module.
I put this patch together, and if I just hold one note, it plays a repeating percussion sound, with all kinds of other craziness in the background. With a little bit of fooling around, I found I could play a simple tune to the beat just by twisting a knob! Great fun.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I have the impression that Rutibex may be just starting out, and if so, maybe free DAWs and VSTs might be worth looking into? I know I'm out of my depth with cakewalk and caustic.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Chainclaw posted:

Capcom put out video packs for the OP-Z, and I really like them, especially the Mega Man one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDFabOivZe0

Heck yeah, Cuckoo made that one!
https://youtu.be/5sW9JjQpzTo

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Do any of y'all use cakewalk? I got frustrated early with ableton lite limiting my track count, so went in search of another free daw. Seems pretty good, but I don't hear much about it.
Eta: use case is I find midi files of Dutch nursery rhymes, or classical music, and assign instruments to each part. A lot of midi files have more than 4 parts.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 22, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I play with my sub and tonic all the time, but they are still pretty new to me. I plan on learning and using my speak a lot in the next 2 weeks. I haven't had the chance to really dive in to it yet.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I'm working away from home at the moment, and when I got out of the shower this morning, I found a minilogue xd on my bed! A colleague's friend is trying to sell it. Talk me out of it please.
https://youtu.be/lS5gPAHomK0

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Snip
...and yeah, I've got the soldering station already and I'm a few projects in. Just need a multimeter and some more practice.
Here's a diy project for yah
https://youtu.be/_mUiwIPXXFE

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Wow, Erica synths makes some wild stuff. I've been fooling around, taking first steps in vcv rack, trying out free stuff. I put the black wave table vco in, with what I thought was a simple lfo into the wave cv input. Then I wondered what kind of waveforms were coming out of this lfo? I put it on the scope, and had a look at what was putting out, while cycling the wave knob. The black octasource is :psypop:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

He said they don't come with power adapters, so I offered him $50 for the lot and now the old keyboards are mine :haw: They are kind of gross and worn out but no serious damage. Lucky for me all of these things take batteries so I was able to test them and the SK-1 is working as intended:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVwn-4I33UA

quality toots right there :buttfame:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

You little shits just made me buy a synth. 200 for a new Crave I lost all willpower.

I know this is from a while back, but yeah, this thread is as bad as TFR for making me want to buy all the cool toys.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

toadee posted:

TIL Ken Marshall (mixing/mastering/arrangements for Skinny Puppy among other things), has a ridiculously well produced but barely watched YouTube channel. His demeanor is a bit uhh hyper, but, he's definitely a wealth of knowledge on production, especially tidbits about industrial/electronic production other places might not cover

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=UUjLd6862BxCe7Dd6ukj3zEw

WOW thanks for that.
TIL some of the vocal distortion in FLA tracks is done by using a vocoder with a noise source as the carrier. I'm stoked to learn how a lot of the signature sound of the genre is created.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Well poo poo. That's not a good thing at all. Still holding out hope for Bastl and Buchla, though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

havelock posted:

Just in case you aren't familiar already, Red Means Recording is great on YouTube.
Heck yeah. His tunes are great listening too. Latest big phat pants got our family shakin it the other morning.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

NonzeroCircle posted:

Possibly weird question, following my 90s sample pack odessy.

So, Zero G/X Static stuff (and their successors Vengeance for the millennium) have quite a few...legally naughty samples, right? Might get stung if you use them. Not certain, but maybe.

Question is, i dig out my Loopmasters Ray Keith and that has a bunch of stuff based on these same breaks. There's Thinks and Amens and Soul Prides, all that good stuff, chopped and resequenced but very much those classic sounds, even down to the titles.
But how come this is ok?
... Is it OK?

It feels like early 90s drum machines that somehow had verrrrrrry similar sounds across them (Cheetah definitely springs to mind as having same sounds as HR/SR16 and Boss DD series).
According to my limited understanding of the nuances of copyright law, there needs to be a certain amount of original creativity in the work, in order for it to be copyrightable. Vague memories of legal eagle tells me that percussive patterns, beats alone, do not qualify for that protection. And it's a huge can of worms litigating how much of a melody needs to be copied before it breaks copyright.

It's complicated, and still to be fully determined.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Imhotep posted:

Just get max/msp or vcv rack
The biggest joy of recent times was whe I realized that I could map the knobs on the top of my launchkey mini to any knob on any module in vcv rack. So much to explore, and experiment with for free! Been watching a bunch of Omri Cohen videos to help me learn. If anyone has suggestions for other sources of instruction and /or inspiration in vcv rack, I'd appreciate some guidance.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody else got a cryptocurrency modulated poly drone synth?
https://youtu.be/Qn7Gqv9vIgQ

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Does not ship to Canada.

So like, I agree with the sentiment of this post, in terms of "whatever, an OP-1 is a toy, it's OK for it to look like a toy". But there kinda are people for whom their primary source of income is playing a trombone, and for whom their trombone is ~serious business~.

To bring this back to the thread topic, various high-end synth "workstations" are probably good examples of a "business synth".
Bring back the Laibach av, so I can recognize you, dangit.

In other news, I picked up a midi controller with16 knobs from tindie. I wanted to be able to have abunch of twisty controls for vcv rack, but when I go to map them, all the knobs end up mapping to the same control. They all apparently output the same cc. Are there any simple utilities I can use to get this sorted? I tried to contact the maker, but the internet in Belarus seems to have gone down.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 29, 2021

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I figured as much. Glad it wasn't pricey, and it has a stellar wood box. I figure a korg nanokontrol2 should do what I need right?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

petit choux posted:

I don't think you said what the MIDI controller is yet have you? Do you have a picture of it?
https://reverb.com/ca/item/26560108-usb-midi-controller-with-16-potentiometers-dub-nickname
Oops, it was actually from reverb.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Yeah typically. But in reaper you can translate anything to anything, cubase has a midi translator plugin etc it's often not insurmountable to do whatever you want with that in DAWs.

Maybe take a look at Bome's Midi Translator Classic if you're on Windows.

Thanks. I picked it up, just so I could have a little something more than the knobs on the top of my launchkey mini for messing around in vcv rack. It's really just for fun, so I don't want to splash out a bunch of cash. For me, it's a nice to have, rather than anything approaching necessary. A translator of some kind might be just what I need.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

:negative:

I guess the theory is that you're using it to control the volume on a bunch of different devices/tracks, each receiving on a different channel?

Lol. It was a fun av. I can't quite remember why I changed it.

As others have said, the Akai midimix is another option, although both that and the Nanokontrol will have really tiny, unsatisfying knobs. Novation Launch Control XL is an option if you're willing to spend a bit more to get something with better quality (and better-feeling) knobs.

Thanks for the suggestions, but the launch control XL is a touch pricey for my use case. I will keep it in mind for some day, down the road though.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I was looking to pick up something to start with, as part of my mid-life crisis. I thought a modern take on an 80's synth would be better than a modern take on an 80's sports car. The Volca FM hit a lot of highlights for me. It can make a lot of the sounds of my childhood. It can load presets / patches from a very successful synth that's been around for a long time. It's compatible with a free patch editor / library software (Dexed). Compact, portable, and low cost. Takes batteries, and can use an external midi controller. Sure, there is plenty that it cannot do, but there is so, so, much it can do. The controls have been simplified, and made more user friendly, as compared to Yamaha's offerings from the 80's, but there is the ability to dig right in, and change all the parameters for every part of each envelope for every operator.
A NTS-1 plays very nicely with it for effects and bass line.
It's a lot of fun, but I'm certainly not doing any serious music making.
At this point, for me, they are complex toys, and something for me to learn about / with. They would likely work as competent instruments in the hands of an actual musician.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

no synthesizer is gonna take the place of a miata my dude

True, but a volca won't hurt more than ears and feelings if I fire it up hammered.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Rolo posted:

Does your brain get better at remembering melodies with practice?

I’ll think of a cool drum sequence and by the time I find the first sound it’s gone. Maybe I just need to get faster at putting stuff down so I can tweak it later.
Maybe use some kind of notation to just jot it down on a notepad before the idea fades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Welp, I've ordered an NTS-1.

Also just discovered, while browsing patches, that it uses the same SDK as the Prologue and Minilogue XD, so you can load in publicly-created oscillators and effects made for those units.

And the SDK is public, in case you feel like coding your own nonsense.
It's worth the price for the onboard fx alone. Having a mono synth attached, extreme portability, and the ability to load custom fx+oscs
are all gravy. I got mine used, and it already had a handful of custom oscillators loaded. What a steal!