Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're asking too much in the sense that most DAWs aren't equipped to do this on a pretty fundamental level. You would need to be able to route multiple tracks directly into the plugin instead of into a mixer channel. As most DAWs have their effect rack as a subsection of the mixer, that's a hard one. This also prevented side chaining for the longest time.

It's possible in some modular hosts. I don't actually know how Reaper, Live or Cubase deal with side chaining these days, but I assume there's a way now. Hiking on the back of 5.1 surround support perhaps. But multi-in effects plugins are exceedingly rare as a consequence of it not being a native feature of the most popular hosts for very long.

What you're looking for may exist, but it will definitely be niche rather than 'most basic'.

skull mask mcgee posted:

As some others have said, DAWs fundamentally don't route audio in a way that could make this a basic feature of any plugin. I have a feeling izotope ozone and/or neutron can do this, since multiple instances of those plugins can talk to each other.

They also have a plugin called Insight which can probably accomplish the visualization you're going for, without being an EQ or anything else.

Waveform/Tracktion can do this, just create a new rack effect, drop the fx and other plugins you need into it, drop an instance of the rack on the output of each track you want to have running thru the rack, and open the rack and route each track to where you want it to go in the rack.

Really what the OP wants is sidechain ducking (which is super common in pro studios); use a compressor on your bassline track as the normal input channel, but you plug the kick into the sidechain input; this has the effect of tricking the compressor into lowering the volume on the bassline a bit every time the kick hits. And it does it automatically, you don’t need to watch a spectrogram and manually do every volume drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
meh, just another rebadged version of the Fantom, but with the plug-out stuff from the System-8 shoved in.

other than the XLR jacks, mic/line in, and USB, I’m not seeing anything my 20 year old JX-305 doesn’t do (and with almost twice the multitimbrality too; 7 parts + drums vs only 4 + drums).

So tired of Roland just constantly rebranding the same synth engine over and over and over again and marketing it as some huge revolutionary thing every. drat. year.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Anyone familiar with the Fairlight CMI?

https://youtu.be/dPiBWfNAriA]

Ill be honest that UI looks perfect. I kinda wish I could sequence by drawing with a light pen.

I been doing it for years now, it’s called “use a DAW with a UI that isn’t rooted in 70 years of hardware and industry design norms”

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I don’t have to pay for the use of my own fingers tho

midi packs cost money, money that could be used on more gear

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
if you can’t write your own chord progressions, are you really a musician tho?

like fr fr? :iiam:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shart Carbuncle posted:

And if you're going to get a Push 2, you might as well get an Akai Force.

and if you’re going to spend that much, may as well start buying eurorack instead :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Mr. Dick doesn’t do anything but complain about lack of manuals and lack of microtonality. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

so what more could you ask from it

knobs you can turn without using tweezers

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Philthy posted:

149 Euro ~ $250

it’s got filter in, but no osc out, which is a shame

I modded my XoXbox to have those two jacks, and it’s fun as hell to plug the sequencer output (via midi) into my modular, patch the osc output (which is an interrupting jack that prevents the osc output from going to the filter when something is inserted into the jack) into the mixer along with a couple of my eurorack oscillators, thru my audio processing stuff (ring mod, distortion, chorus, sub-osc generator, etc), then putting that back into the filter in and having the most glorious hosed up multioscillator TB-303 you can imagine.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
tbh a minimoog is a really lovely brass/horns emulator and I don’t get why everyone goes nuts over them

and the dx7 is the worst Rhodes emulator ever made, meh

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

That's the info I am looking for. Is there a modern-day version that isn't as expensive and is also a stand-alone (no PC required)?

I'd buy an ASR-10 if they weren't a fortune and required floppy disks. I am willing to use ANYTHING, no matter how old, as long as I don't have to use floppy disks.

you know they make SD card readers that are direct drop in replacements for floppy drives, right?

People retrofit old samplers with them all the time.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mr. Dick posted:

Mr. Dick's going to add that, despite storage limitations and maintenance and communication/transfer hassles and cost and all the other just obstinate dumbness of hardware samplers, everyone needs at least one ensoniq.

I had an Emu ESI-2000 instead.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Philthy posted:

Now if they can just get all these new synths shipping in the US. I think I've got 4 pre-orders now, some going back to January.

I preordered my VC-340 and TD-8 from sweetwater. Only had to wait a month for the drums, but I preordered the VC-340 the first day preorders were up and that one took about 3 months to ship.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Shart Carbuncle posted:

Jesus Christ, gently caress trying to activate Softube plugins. What a crock of poo poo.

Edit: figured it out. Instead of adding the licenses to my existing iLok account, a new one was created with the same email address.

:pwn:

This is why I just pirate or don’t use anything that requires iLok

Like, I’ll buy everything else that I use, including my Roland Cloud sub, but gently caress dealing with iLok & their BS

speakin’ of Roland Cloud, they just released a vst version of the XV5080, the final evolution of the D/JV/XP/XV series of romplers, which, being all-digital synths, means they are easy to recreate 1:1 as vsts :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
you can do a lot of those stereo path tricks on the prophet rev2, as well; you can control and modulate voice panning like any other oscillator, and you can use layers + pan to basically run it as an 8 voice true stereo synth if you want