Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

Who has a Microfreak? Tell me why it's cool or lovely.

Total electronic music newb perspective: I just decided last week to buy my first synth and bought the Microfreak. It is both welcoming and deep; it has a ton of range and is easy for a beginner to start digging in and doing cool stuff. It has been a ton of fun and I can also tell I'm only scratching the surface. I'm adding a PO-33 for drums and random noises alongside and anticipate I'll be able to make a wide range of music with just those two pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Could use some gear advice.

I have always enjoyed electronic music and finally got my first synth last year, a Microfreak, that I enjoy making weird sounds with, but I'd like to start turning those weird sounds into some sort of layered composition and I need something else to do that. I also got a PO-33 last year with the idea of being able to sample from that machine and from elsewhere and make beats and sequence but I'm not connecting with it like I thought I would. So I was thinking of getting a bigger sequencer/sampler along the same line of intent as the PO, considering a Circuit Rhythm or ???? I see the Beatstep Pro is on a pretty decent sale and have heard good things but I think that's strictly a sequencer, not sure how much that would open up the layers I'm looking for without connecting to more instruments/software. Anyway I'm still sort of a newb so please help me find the thing I need. (I'd prefer to keep playing with hardware over software)

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s your computer/DAW situation?

So far I have Ableton Live Lite on a desktop windows PC that feels like work to use

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

I would get my computer situation dialed into something that I liked to use before spending big money on external gear.

I know this is probably the best advice but I find working with DAWs so uninspiring. There's a lot that's exciting about playing with dials and keys and buttons that disappears when I have to right click a menu. Anyone have suggestions for how to solve *that* problem?

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I have a PO-33 which can definitely be used as a drum machine and sample machine and I’d be willing to sell it if you’re interested in a lightly used version for cheap

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Any interest in the new Make Noise XPO? I think it's a really cool idea but I'll never get one.

Preordering one, mostly because I’m a make noise junkie, but also cuz I have an xpan and qpas and mimeophon already so it’ll fit right in with its stereo friends

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

When I get over the initial Hydrasynth learning curve, get my space reconfigured and then get over the curve of interfacing the hydra to my existing semimodulars in various ways, I am going to look at adding some modular stuff:

I have 3 semi modulars now: Make Noise 0coast, and Moog Mavis & Mother32. I am imagining getting the niftycase bundle (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NiftyBundle--cre8-audio-niftybundle-eurorack-case-with-modules-and-cables -- I have heard the included modules aren't that great but this is only $60 more than the blank case) and immediately adding a Make Noise Maths and a Mordax Data to it, and then just start tinkering with those things along side the semimodulars.

Maths just seems stupid powerful, and Data seems both powerful and like a nice way to visualize some stuff and learn more about how things work.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan and are there any other modules I should be looking at? I know Korg has NTI-2 coming out which does a lot of what Data does at a lower cost, but it's also not available yet and it's 2 channel instead of 4.

The big question is what you want to do with what you buy. I also considered getting a Data early on and ended up skipping it and spending on an actual module instead, a decision I think was right for me because I realized I found more value in making more & different sounds. But maybe if analysis is really what you’re into, it could be worth it.

If it were me with a similar budget, I’d be getting just a case, either this or the Tiptop Happy Ending, and adding an effect or two that you don’t currently have access to. I’d consider a Mimeophon or Desmodus Versio for delay or reverb, or maybe a dedicated filter. Maths is great but 0-Coast gives you half a Maths already with the slope and contour circuits, so that might be one you could hold off for a future purchase or when you outgrow your 0-coast.

edit: a Versio is also nice because you can flash any of the other Versio firmwares onto it *for free*, making it extremely versatile: https://noiseengineering.us/pages/world-of-versio

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jul 29, 2022

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

net work error posted:

Can you explain this part a bit more? I don't know enough about Maths to fully get it but I'd like to!

The Slope and Contour circuits on 0coast are both function generators, simpler than Maths ch1 / ch4 but similar to them. On both Maths and 0coast circuits, rise & fall can be set and modulated, you can set the rise/fall relationship with log/exp knobs, they can be triggered with gates (slope also has a cycle option to continuously fire), both have gate triggers that occur within the cycle. You can’t do everything with 0coast that you can with Maths but there’s a lot of overlap.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I know small racks never stay small but I want to build a small rack to supplement my mother32/0coast, but also to act as a drum box by itself.

I figure I will get the niftykeyz bundle (the included 2 modules may be kind of poo poo but for $30 each, meh, fine) and stick a Plonk in it, and then I was thinking of sticking Make Noise Pressure Points + Brains next to it... but Brains appears to be discontinued and getting harder to track down. I could certainly chase that down, but if my goal is "adding a module or 3, hopefully not insanely expensive, to make it easier to use the Plonk as a sequencable drum machine without having to lean on my other controllers", what should I be looking at?

If you are looking for drums have you considered a DFAM?

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
If anyone here is interested in a Lyra 8 or PO-33, I listed mine in the gear trade thread

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

God help me, I just bought an E352 Cloud Terrarium, and also sold my last MTG deck for $4000, with a plan of getting a Rackbrute ($279 through a deal through my employer) and slamming about $1800 worth of poo poo into it instantly. I don't really need more voice modules at this point but Morphagene is great, and VCV rack has me trying out various effects.

I'd really like a hardware reverb module oriented towards ambient. Valhalla Supermassive is an awesome program and if I could get that in a module I would instantly buy it. Any suggestions?

Starlab is definitely top tier, but be sure to also check out Noise Engineering’s Desmodus Versio at a third of the size and half the price. Highly rated and includes free access to flashing any other Versio DSP which is potentially a huge value if you’d use it.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stabbing Spork posted:

I was too late moving the Model D and I impulse bought a MI Rings.
At least I can re-sell these at cost later on right?

If it’s a factory built Rings you will likely make a profit on it since they’re discontinued

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would never stoop so low as to “arrange” a “song”

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

I also loved this. The first two minutes I was like “oh I could do this” and then everything came in around 2:15 and I was like, no, no I can’t

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

These AllFlesh touchable patch things from Control Voltage (https://www.controlvoltage.net/landscape-landscape-allflesh-10pc-kit.html) are pretty cool.

I will also plug for the fact that if you have a Strega these will enable you to use its touch points across other parts of your system, both as inputs and outputs

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would love to know what discord people are using, I have a few things I was going to list on reverb soon

(edit: an 0-coast and an Ochd in case anyone itt is interested :))

edgar_ fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 19, 2023

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Posted some eurorack gear in the gear trades thread, PM if interested https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=2851542&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post529487394

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I thought about a data bender but I have a beads and saw this video and it made me realize that I have so much more to explore with what I already have

https://youtu.be/hCQuPwkTWSw

(obviously you do whatever you want)

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Calsynth and Michigan Synth Works seem like they have the best reputations, everyone seems to love the Calsynth guy on other forums. Also a more stylistic option that I always liked and heard good things about build quality with is Big T Music at slateandash.com (UK-based).

After Later has a good reputation and seem like nice people but personally I think their panel designs are kinda ugly.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

B33rChiller posted:

What's not to love?

LoL

unironically one of their best designs

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I've really grown to love Rene 2. I don't even use it to half of what it can do, but it fits with the way I like to create & play modular music. It has a permanent spot in my 208hp rack.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

:hmmyes: I am aware of this and I hope lots of makers start testing the waters (and adhering to gen3 and euro standards!)

Tony Rolando from Make Noise has been posting _lots_ of video synth creations lately, which has me curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Wait what? It looks like they are staying in Asheville but moving to a different building