Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
There's an interactive portion here: https://experiments.withgoogle.com/ai/sound-maker/view/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Scored a Realistic MG-1 for 350 CAD. Woo!

Divide down paraphony in an otherwise standard monosynth is pretty amazing.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 1, 2018

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
A divide-down oscillator is such an amazing add for an analog synth, even when paraphonically connected to an analog engine. Why isn't behringer doing an MG-1 clone?

Like it must be cheap as chips to implement for 25 keys. Although I looked at the implementation of the MG-1 and the oscillators are gated by each keyswitch, which has to have reliability issues.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Duophony is fun in the Odyssey, especially discovering the triggering and portamento behavior.

Or hold a bass note and solo stacatto.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
get em started early

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dyna Soar posted:

How on earth did musicians get anything done before software if using an actual hardware synth kills your inspiration

before sequencers, you had to perform music

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

JamesKPolk posted:

are you not playing 2 note chords on your odyssey

No room for chords when im sequencing osc2 with sync on like a boss. :smuggo:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

also vco1 on lfo is the only internal vc modultion so :c00lbert:

Not sure i follow. I'm not sequencing osc2 through the modulation input, I'm doing it with the CV input with a TRS cable. I can still apply LFO to osc2.

My biggest bugbear with the Odyssey is that the LFO resets on keyboard trig. :smith:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

my desire for votage controlled modulation led me to modular, and i was just above posting that, for the most part, its rather lacking in the odyssey

:same:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lichtenstein posted:

Speaking of gear, I've been pondering getting a Yamaha Reface DX, as both babby's first FM synth with a comprehensible interface and something I can play a loving chord on. My impression is that people were initially disappointed with it due to being slightly overpriced on launch and unable to just copypaste patches from DX7, but those who got it closer to the current $300 price tend to like it. Still, I'd like to hear about any goon experiences with it.

It's immediately gratifying and yes it's easy to learn parts of FM synthesis with it.

My complaints with it are:
- no multi-operator feedback paths
- envelope display LIES!
- one LFO
- unitimbral
- looper is midi, not audio
- no mod wheel

That said, it's easy to pick up and jam with and the speakers are pretty good and it's portable.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dammit wrong thread

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

floatman posted:

If you're thinking about babbys first FM and don't really need the keys, have you tried a volca FM?

LMAO trying to write an FM patch from scratch on the Volca. The Reface DX barely doesn't feel like a preset machine to me.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Lichtenstein posted:

I thought about it due to really liking my sample (bought it as a budget drum machine, turned out to be a quirky little groovebox I can fiddle with on a bus), but I got wary of them fitting this fairly complex engine into the volca interface. I mean, with the sample as long as you mess with one part at a time, it's pretty close to WYSIWYG. Meanwhile, the FM has this tiny volca screen that shows one thing at a time and when I saw you have to turn a knob to choose an operator to then turn a knob to choose a parameter to then slide a thing while seeing only one of the information at a time I sighed, feeling I'll never figure this poo poo out past minor tweaking of presets.

Would love to the proved wrong about that though, as I've quite clicked with sample past the initial evening of figuring out the multi-function buttons and stuff!

The thing that piqued my interest in reface was precisely the interface - the ability to display an entire thing - an algorithm, an operator, an envelope - and then gently caress around with its properties feels like the base level of clarity not to be irritatingly obtuse. Then again, it's all kinda gut feelings, I don't really have the kind of cool music shop I could gently caress around with this stuff where I live.

Save your money and download Dexed IMO.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

Vangelis.

Full per-voice channel Aftertouch is part of the appeal of the CS-80.

got an SQ-80 and use poly aftertouch allllll the time and it owns

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Funny seeing the rm1x sitting there. I just randomly found mine 2 days ago. Neat machine for its day. Seems so big and heavy compared to the way stuff like that is going now.

had one, sold it

kept my QY-700

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Top Hats Monthly posted:

I put a real DX7 up against DEXED and wow. I’ve never heard any synth before so closely modeled by the soft synth.

As the DX7 was completely digital (before the DACs) it shouldn't come as a shock.

SQ8L is actually better than an SQ-80 IMO.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

unless you need that sweet, sweet poly AT, to splice this on a zero-crossing

I just use my SQ-80 as a controller then :c00lbutt:

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

building the perfect modular cured my gas :smugdon:

mine too except i replaced a triatt with a peaks and a line out with a headphone amp

but i showed my wife the grandmother and now she has gas

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

It turns out you can have too many offset / attenuators and people throw away the peaks for peanuts!

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

you literally cannot have too many mxers though 🤔

scan & pan + 2u 6 in 2 out unity gain + 1u 4att in 104hp 7u was enough for me, i found

and peaks was like 20bux lol

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

triatt is the best of my 6 mixers for dialing in feedback because of the inverting mode but horses for courses :shrug:

my 1u is also intellijel and owns in that manner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

byob historian posted:

yeah korg synths are terrible at distortion (other than the polysix), you gon need some outboard 4 it

karp odyssey distorts amazingly, too, if you consider that a korg