Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

my ancestors ate a lot of sardines and also a shitton of cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

I wanna try salted cod so I can be like an old timey person.

same but so I can be at one with my ancestors or something

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Garum is cool because the Romans loved it so much they made primitive factories to churn that msg filled stuff to meet demand I think.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Big Beef City posted:

You know how Huy Fong had a plant that had to stop making Sriracha sauce because the fumes were irritating an entire neighborhood?
Romans had the same laws about garum manufacturing.

:aaaaa:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Juice Box Hero posted:

They rank 17 out of 30 on this mass sardine review
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/301739

But I've never had 'em. Sorry!

im gonna check out those recipes.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

actually im going to the store right now anyways so I guess i'll pick up a can too.
so sign me up for sardine crew

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I got a cat how crazy will cats go for sardines?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Benito Hitlerstalin posted:

Incedentally I'm not a fan of Wasabröd either, but that's neither here nor there. Still bread, though. Don't really matter that Americans are confused on the matter.

Also, just to clarify, this is the kind of poo poo I'm talking about :

I honestly thought hummus went better on Wasabröd than sardines since it made less of a mess.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Orkin Mang posted:

hey

wtf do i do with raw anchovies

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/puttanesca-i/

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zeno-25 posted:

Used anchovies for the first time to make a red sauce for some cheap clams and linguine. I used paste, since I like the idea of being able to use just a little at a time.

-Melt half stick of butter in large heavy pot on med/low
-add 2-3 oz of tomato paste, like half of one of those little cans
-add 1 oz of anchovy paste

The tomato and anchovy pastes will slowly melt into the butter and caramelize together after a few minutes on med/low. This adds a ton of flavor. Once the tomato, anchovy paste, and butter start to turn just a bit darker color, time for the next step.

-add 10+ cloves of garlic to the pot and cook for a few minutes (holy poo poo this part smells amazing)
-add juice from two small cans of baby clams
-good dash of red pepper flakes
-let simmer and reduce for 10-20 minutes on medium, adding baby clams and a bunch of olive oil for the last few minutes. The canned clams are already cooked and just need to be warmed up, too much time in the pot will make them rubbery

Serve with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.

You can use that caramelized anchovy/tomato paste as the first step in building any other sort of tomato sauce as well, although for non-seafood stuff I'd use about half as much paste.

Sounds good

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sarge83 posted:

My old boss used to eat four cans of these things with a pound of bacon he microwaved, every day. Kinda ruined it for me.

:stonk:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Szechuan posted:

I'm not a seasoned 'dine diner, but this thread has given me lots of ideas.

In exchange, a recipe I hope hasn't been posted before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3M3BxbsTU

I think I'm gonna make this next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pastor Perineum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr3M3BxbsTU

lol that royalty-free music in the beginning, makes me think i'm gonna watch plinkett make some homemade sardine pizza rolls

I was gonna make this but then I made some lovely mussels marinara instead because I didn't feel like 'shelling out' for some pine nuts.

• Locked thread