Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rhandhali posted:

One of the most frightening things about naturopathy is that there are very active movements, along with other quacks like chiropractors, to use legislative alchemy to be considered primary care providers. Assuming they are successful in turning poo poo into gold insurance companies will be required to cover their services under anti-discrimination clause of section 2706 of the Affordable Care Act.

Think about that. A Not-Doctor with a degree bought and paid for from a diploma mill will be reimbursed just like a real doctor would.

All of my insurance options i've had in the past in Seattle have allowed for chiro and naturalopath visits to be covered. It sort of shocked me. My sister also only sees a naturalopath and even pays out of pocket because shes military. Totally blows my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rhandhali posted:

I can't wrap my head around why an insurance company would piss away money paying for services that are of absolutely no material benefit in maintaining health when they're as tightfisted as they are about legitimate medical care. I'm sure there's been some kind of cost-benefit analysis done but I can't see how it would ever come out in the quack's favor.

Not sure why they could consider it but they are quite tight fisted with it. A bit of warm schadenfreude in my office at the moment is my coworker was getting chiro for pain management and it turns out GHC will allow only 7 and then if no rehabilitation or progress has been made, they will stop paying. Coworker is hilariously bad mouthing the poo poo out of GHC and whining. Jesus christ just pay up the 90$ you rear end in a top hat. (I've had fantastic experiences with GHC and they are SUPER PRO VAXX to the point of shaming my husband into reupping his Tdap)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Madmarker posted:

Theres no such thing as "pro-vaxx", there are Anti-Vaxxer's and everyone else who still has a goddamn brain left in their skull and aren't going to catch loving polio.

Sorry, I was using it in a joking manner.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm on mobile but I saw a study a few months ago that said women who took heavy doses of Tylenol during pregnancy had a way higher percentage of autistic children.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
http://ije.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/10/24/ije.dyt183.abstract

quote:

The sibling-control analysis revealed that children exposed to prenatal paracetamol for more than 28 days had poorer gross motor development [β 0.24, 95% confidence interval (CI) 0.12–0.51], communication (β 0.20, 95% CI 0.01–0.39), externalizing behaviour (β 0.28, 95% CI 0.15–0.42), internalizing behaviour (β 0.14, 95% CI 0.01–0.28), and higher activity levels (β 0.24, 95% CI 0.11–0.38). Children exposed prenatally to short-term use of paracetamol (1–27 days) also had poorer gross motor outcomes (β 0.10, 95% CI 0.02–0.19), but the effects were smaller than with long-term use. Ibuprofen exposure was not associated with neurodevelopmental outcomes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Well, yeah, even Jenny McCarthy's kid ended up not even having Autism.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 27, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CommieGIR posted:

In the end, many autistic kids can lead fairly normal lives thought, given the right access to education resources and therapy.

This is definitely true. There's some mildly autistic folks in the programming industry and honestly it can be a little hard to tell. We've been having a friend over for game night for ages and he's totally normal as far as I can see. Just some initial shyness. I didn't know until someone specifically told me.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CottonWolf posted:

It's weird to me that you lot get the chickenpox vaccine as part of your childhood set in the US. Is that standard? It's definitely not in the childhood vaccination programme in the UK.

It wasn't standard when I was in the age range and i'm 26 now. I think its like gardasil? Suggested but not pushed hard?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
How has no one ever mentioned a pneumonia vaccine to me? I've had pneumonia twice - once at 4 and once at 14 and both times brought me close to death. Every time you have pneumonia it apparently makes you more susceptible in the future as well so I need to get on this poo poo asap.

Also - Holy poo poo Eej, that was the most inspirational poo poo i've ever heard.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
http://www.king5.com/health/Case-of-measles-reported-in-San-Juan-County-253306451.html

A man with the measles has been running around infected in one of the anti vaxxer strongholds of WA. I feel bad for the local kids.

Lol - I touched the facebook poop on this because my morals won't allow idiots to go unchallenged in a public forum - Someone called me an idiot because "they are a doctor and 70% of doctors don't even vaccinate their children" - I looked at his profile and he was a mother loving chiropractor. Response "Lol you are a chiropractor"

Sorry for the "lol facebook" update but I think we had this conversation just two days ago about bullshit medicine.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 1, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
In case anyone ever runs into "doctors don't vaccinate!" bullshit again

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/16263976/

quote:

CONCLUSIONS: Ninety-three percent of the surveyed physicians agree with the current official vaccination recommendations and would apply them to their own children. However, the observation that 5% of nonpediatricians would not use Haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine if they had a child born in 2004 is unexpected and concerning. In contrast, both groups gave additional vaccines than those recommended to their own children. Among physicians in Switzerland interested in immunization, a significant proportion of nonpediatricians decline or delay the immunization of their own children with the recommended MMR- or DTP-based combination vaccines, which indicates that clarification of misconceptions such as fear of "immune overload" has not yet reached important targets among health care providers who thus are unlikely to answer parental concerns adequately.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CommieGIR posted:

This is happening a lot in the US, one of the big pushers of Cannabis oil as a 'cure for cancer' in Canada is a chiropractor.

I really REALLY wish the US Medical Board would step up and start squashing these idiots.

The it would be one big conspiracy about how the US government and AMA are trying to keep these holistic and natural remedies out of the hands of good citizens.

Never look up black salve, fyi. It falls under this category.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
gently caress. Someone with contagious measles visited all the Seattle tourist spots, including a concert at key arena and pike place market.

I want to check if I have real immunity, is that just a test I can ask for at the lab at my doctors office? I work in that area. :(

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 3, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Eej posted:

Pretty relevant to Australia and our goon who had a situation similar to this.

http://www.theage.com.au/national/court-grants-father-right-to-vaccinate-his-children-20140405-365p8.html

I'm glad to see that my stance of "If I ever have children they will never be able to play with unvaccinated children unless there is actual medical proof that they can't be" seems to work.

It sucks for the kids but any rational parents will realize they are being dolts when their kids have no friends.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

MisterBadIdea posted:

If you truly believed that you were saving your child from horrible illness, I don't think your kid's lack of social life would do much to change your mind.

Usually both parents aren't bat poo poo insane. Someone has to be normal enough to pay the bills.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
This is the most pedantic and annoying conversation. Can we talk about morons who won't give their kids the pertussis vaccine again?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I mentioned this earlier in the thread or the facebook morons thread however - We had a scare in Seattle recently due to someone walking around all our tourist areas with active measles. Crazy chiropractors came out of the woodwork and were being super vocal anti vaccine on the news facebook page. This one guy was like "well i'm a doctor so i'm an authority on this" my next reply was literally "lol you say you're a chiropractor on your FB public page" and I was so pleased as punch when this became the laughing stock of the whole conversation. I felt like a serious internet winner for a half a second and he got all defensive about how you can treat so much with chiropractory poo poo.

It made me really pleased to see that most people reading understood that chiro's are mostly jokes.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

E-Tank posted:

This man gave me my life back. It may have been bullshit, it may have been placebo. I still don't recommend going to chiropractors, but this one time one sort of saved my life.

I await everyone telling me I'm an idiot with bated breath. :v:

Given your situation I actually do understand and that you tried to do it safely. I definitely know what it's like to feel like regular medical science has failed to figure out what the gently caress is going on and looking to more granola poo poo. I've had stabbing pain in my lower right abdomen for almost a year. I've been to a gyno, my GP, a regular ER doctor - i've had ultrasounds and CTs. I tried different pain killers. My GP and I chalked it up to maybe ovarian cysts for about 6 months until I went to the ER after I was in so much pain I couldn't talk and they did the CT and showed nothing. Ovaries looked perfect. Back to square one.

I'm currently doing an elimination diet - why the gently caress not I guess? Can't be any worse than I am now.

It's stupid and simple but a few weeks into it and it looks like I developed lactose intolerance.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I thought an elimination diet was standard procedure for detecting food intolerance. :confused:

Not one single doctor mentioned it or suggested it despite the fact that i've gained about 3 new serious allergies in the last 4 years so I'm going about it on my own. This is from 2 major highly rated hospitals in the PNW. I suppose it might be standard somewhere but oddly no one had mentioned it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

SedanChair posted:

If only CPS tore apart families right away. It's like pulling teeth to get them to issue a pickup order.

This. My parents were openly beating my siblings and I bloody on a daily basis and the schools knew, cps knew and visited, and still it took until my dad was holding a gun to my moms head and talking about killing my brother and I when I was 17 before the COPS (not cps) did anything at all. CPS doesn't tear families apart and if anyone really believe that I really want some of what they are smoking. Thinking that CPS tears families apart is as unfounded as vaccines causing autism.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That is going to vary a lot from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and agency to agency so you shouldn't take your experience as the only possible one.

Even here in the glorious pacific northwest they let a man who was suspected of killing his wife have visitation with his children where he then locked the CPS agent out of the house, killed his kids with an axe and then he burned down his house. CPS worker scarred for life.

Seriously, after my ordeal I actually wanted to help other kids in my situation but I couldn't find a single story where CPS workers in any county were allows to preemtively keep a child from harm. Harm has to happen to the child, then sometimes CPS will step in for a bit, parents get kids back, parents probably continue hurting children but are more careful about where the bruises are. Kids either make it to adult hood like me, extremely scarred, or they die. Parents then might get charged with a crime. maybe.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 8, 2014

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My childhood ordeal took place in Tennessee. But yeah, it's really no different anywhere.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ActusRhesus posted:

Really, it's all rather complex. But I generally find other military wives really loving annoying, and yes, they really do all seem to be into Mary Kay, Tastefully Simple, PAmpered Chef or some other bullshit MLM.

This isn't limited to the wives. My sister is military and she was hassling me to buy pampered chef. She was also very truth is in the middle and don't trust the government's statistics about diseases and viruses because she knew a guy in place once who said this thing.

Now that she works in the medical industry she is a million times better. I have no clue what the hell they were teaching her in the Air Force. It makes me think there's this uncanny valley of people who start learning to think for themselves so they start "researching" ie - reading blogs. They've got to get over the hump and then learn what information is trust worthy.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Doesn't Mexico have a much higher vaccination rate than America?

There was a bigger outbreak a few years back - i think in BC - that was initially caused by an immigrant from India. Not Mexico though. I haven't even heard of Mexico having measles outbreaks at all. Their healthcare is crazy inexpensive and people are very happy to use it from my understanding.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

eNeMeE posted:

It's generally suburbanites with disposable income, and crosses political divides, so 'hippies' aren't really the problem.

Pretty much this. It goes 2 ways - either its people who are crazy and think the government is going to put microchips in their vaccines or mind control devices or its crazy crystal people who also think they are poison.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Genocide Tendency posted:

3 - Millennials are loving stupid.

gently caress you.

Genocide Tendency posted:

2 - Location. Depends on where they got the 1000 people as well.

This is the biggest factor. For example - supposedly the PNW has alot of anti vaxxers but I've got a big group of friends that are all having babies here in Seattle and we're all on the same page that anti vaxxers are god drat morons - even the hippy granola anti GMO ones. But I do know that there are little towns around the mountain foothills that are filled with antivaxxers. Thank god they are too scared of Seattle to come here.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

ActusRhesus posted:

My mother and I were just having this conversation the other day. The generation that thinks it's cool to not vaccinate is the generation that never had to see how awful these diseases can be.

I 100% agree with this. My great grandmother had a whole mess of kids - like 14? and only like 5 survived. My husband's great aunt was actually a midwife and was telling us about how many children she saw die from diseases that have vaccinations now. I wonder if these folks who don't understand the importance of vaccinations didn't have anyone from the pre vaccination generation to explain the horrors of dead babies to them?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

awesome-express posted:

Weren't millennials highschoolers in the late 00's? Like '07-'10?

I mean, we're all pretty much millennials here on SA, right?

Yep. I graduated high school in 2010 so I definitely am classified as a millenial. I think it's just a rule that 20 somethings all hate ourselves.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So i'm looking for a new GP (general practitioner) because I changed insurance companies due to a job change. I went into premera's GP finder and looked 3 mi away from my house and the vast majority are chiros and naturopaths. I kind of want to scream. The naturopaths are borderline ok but chiro's being listed as GP? what the gently caress? Maybe this is why this poo poo is pretty bad around the pacific nw.

My last insurance was group health and they were staunchly pro vaccination. My husband was having surgery for his shoulder and the doc was harrassing him to get his boosters because we're both of child bearing age and have lots of nephews. I've got all my boosters and will be getting a titer test before we have or adopt.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My family was super poor and school was pretty terrible. Learned to read via Whinny The Pooh books on tape + books that we got from goodwill or my grandma bought us. I was reading pretty well before kindergarten other than some weird pronunciation issues.

Also I absolutely loved that book it program where you got bonuses for every book you turned in a book report for. I was turning in everything like mad. I would go to the library and read every day if I could.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Oh god. We all got vaccinated and we are all autists. It all makes sense!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BreakAtmo posted:

Isn't intelligence also affected by how much stress you had growing up? I suppose this is mixed in with the stuff about nutrition and how you're raised, but I read that when you grow up with the constant stress of, say, living in poverty, it has a high chance of degrading your intelligence. Therefore, poverty tends to beget poverty.

I recall reading a study that found a strong correlation with poverty and brain function but no concrete link on what exactly was causing it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I actually think proving to people that there's reasons is pretty important.

Humans in general are assholes and need to be able to relate to people in order to feel empathy. Think of the lovely billboards that say "what if it was your sister or wife" in relation to rape. We shouldn't need to specifically point out that "hey - women get raped and it's never their fault" but sadly we do.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Adenoid Dan posted:

Those reasons are currently social policy failing to provide opportunities, and the many ways we punish the poor for being poor. I'm sure stress and nutrition hurt the development of poor kids (and are well worth studying in any case), but the reality is they aren't provided even close to the same opportunities, and that sentence from the article makes it sound like poor people are failing to succeed despite our best efforts to help them, and it's all some big mystery why.

Oh trust me I know. I was one of those kids who grew up on powdered milk and hot dogs and vienna sausages. poo poo sucks but tons of assholes seem to think that "oh well if you just tried harder in school you would have done better" and then look loving confused when I tell them "I worked 40 to 60 hours a week all through high school and more during the summer because my parents couldn't afford to even buy me new glasses - it made it pretty loving hard to apply to scholarships and write essays for them"

Although with all that - I still got vaccinated. Thanks county health center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I got it when I was 12 from kids on the bus. It was pretty miserable. My sister and brother had it worse though - they had pox in their throats and fevers that reached 106. It's pretty horrid and i'm glad there is a vaccine now.

• Locked thread