Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Peel posted:

I don't know how the Catholic Church works, but can't the Vatican quash this? Vaccines surely aren't one of their bugbears (please tell me they aren't one of their bugbears).

The last official statement I saw from the Vatican was that Catholics are permitted (possibly even morally obligated) to vaccinate, even using the vaccines developed using cell lines derived from voluntarily aborted foetuses. It is considered imperative, of course, that they write letters and put pressure on the pharmaceutical community to continue trying to develop versions of the vaccines that do not contain those cell lines, but in the meantime they are to use the vaccine because to do otherwise would "put the health of their children and of the population as a whole at risk".
http://www.cogforlife.org/vaticanresponse.htm

HPV vaccine, on the other hand...that's a whole different kettle of premarital sex-havin' fish, according to the Vatican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

CottonWolf posted:

It's weird to me that you lot get the chickenpox vaccine as part of your childhood set in the US. Is that standard? It's definitely not in the childhood vaccination programme in the UK.

It was introduced in 1995 in the US as part of the standard vaccination regimen. First dose is usually at 12-15 months, second dose at somewhere between 4 and 6 years old. I think probably there are a lot of people who have had it but don't know they have - 1 year and 4-6 are generally pretty vaccine-heavy visits to the doctor, and both those time frames also include MMR. I think people remember "Got MMR, DTaP andabunchofothershots". The US's rate of chickenpox cases has plummeted, from 4million per year pre-vaccine to something like around 400,000 cases a year these days.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think they could on an individual scale. The best they could do is make state or local vaccination requirements a prerequisite for receiving federal money, like school funding.

That said, I think most school districts already require children to be immunized before attending school... unless they have a medical or religious waiver. It's that religious (or "personal beliefs") waiver that's getting seriously abused right now.

Yes, in California is isn't even a religious waiver, it's just "personal beliefs". Although they did recently change the law to require that you meet with a healthcare professional (defined as an MD, nurse practitioner or physician's assistant) to be counseled on the importance of vaccines before being allowed to take the waiver, which everyone seems to believe will bring the vaccination rates in our schools up. I believe there are likely some kids in my son's school who are fully vaccinated but are listed as personal belief exempted if only because of the paperwork - when I first registered my son for school, they asked me for his immunization record (which they photocopied), and then there were no less than 4 separate forms which I was supposed to fill out that amounted to me copying his immunization record by hand onto each one. The personal belief waiver was one checkbox. So basically for the paperwork issue with schools, it was easier to just pretend you don't vax than it was to provide the documentation they required. Now that you have to go to a physician, NP, or PA and have them sign a form stating they've counselled you about it, I think people who actually did vaccinate will probably avoid the copay and hassle and instead provide their immunization records. I'm not sure how much it will affect the real rate of vaccination, but it may give us a much more accurate picture of what our vaccination rates in schools look like.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Speaking of enclaves of unvaccinated religious people and traveling outside the US, Ohio has an outbreak of measles in 6 counties. Unvaccinated Amish missionaries went to the Philippines (which is well known to be currently in the midst of an enormous outbreak, why would unvaccinated people go there?) and now lo and behold, the number of cases is up from 68 cases in mid-May to 155 cases today. So far, all cases are restricted to within the Amish community, but there is no guarantee it will remain so. As an aside: there are Amish missionaries?
http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/23/health/ohio-measles/index.html

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

pentyne posted:

It's way too loving easy to not vaccinate, especially in CA.

When starting school in CA, I had to submit my vaccinations records, but the county government in MD had lost my records, so I figured I'd just get the measles vaccination again (the only one they needed). When I went though, I noticed a line "Check here if you wish to refuse vaccination for philosophical reasons", and after asking the nurse she said all I had to do was check that box and get cleared by the school for vaccination purposes. It should not be that insanely easy to opt-out.

To put your mind at ease about it, California has recently changed the law regarding opt-outs. A law passed in 2012 which took effect Jan 1 of this year requiring that all parents opting their children out of vaccinations must first receive counseling by a health care practitioner (and chiropractors are specifically listed as NOT qualifying to sign, thankfully) about vaccination and submit a form signed by the health care practitioner along with the exemption request. In states where a similar type of law has passed, vaccination rates went up; whether the rates were artificially lower than they should have been because it used to be easier to opt out than to actually provide the needed documentation and now it no longer is, or if it has *actually* increased the vaccination rates is up for debate. In Washington state, for instance, a similar law passed in 2011 and opt-out rates for children entering kindergarten have dropped 27 percent in the years since.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
When I first registered my son in school here in California, I was required to provide a copy of his vaccination record which the school photocopied. The registration packet also contained no less than 3 separate pages on which I was supposed to copy the vax record by hand. I remember thinking to myself "This is loving bullshit, opting out requires nothing more than me checking a box. If vaccination wasn't so important to me, I'd be checking that box right about now." I have a feeling that more than a few people probably DID check that box out of frustration with the idiotic paperwork. Now that they would need to make a doctor appointment and pay a co-pay for the counseling to get the form signed, it's probably made filling out a bunch of stupid bureaucratic paperwork a much more attractive prospect.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

IAMNOTADOCTOR posted:

For some regions in the US ( California I believe?) opting out of vaccines is less trouble then actually getting the vaccine, this might reduce the rate of poor family's not bothering to get the vaccines because of time constraints and using the opt-out as a convenient tool.

While that used to be true (at least for purposes of registering your child for school), it no longer is. California changed its law regarding personal belief exemptions last year and now requires a note from a doctor or nurse practitioner (specifically NOT a chiropractor) that the parents have been counselled on the importance of vaccines before allowing a PBE. The initial reporting is showing an uptick in the number of vaccine-compliant families as a result, but there isn't complete data yet.

As a California parent who registered a child in kindergarten before the new law went into effect, I can say unequivocally that it used to be FAR easier to register your child with a personal belief exemption than it was to actually comply with vaccination requirements. The Personal Belief Exemption used to be a checkbox on the registration paperwork. A checkbox. Supplying the records for vaccination included hand-copying the vax record onto three different forms as well as giving it to the school for them to take a photocopy. Why did I have to hand-copy it not once but three different times if they were just going to photocopy it? Who the gently caress knows, ain't bureaucracy a wonderful thing? I would not be in any way surprised if a pretty significant number of the kids who USED to be listed a PBEs and suddenly aren't turn out to have been vaccinated all along but their parents just didn't want to bother with all the loving paperwork, so they checked the box. Now they can't just check a box, they've got to go to a doctor, pay a copay, listen to some spiel about vaccines and get a form signed, maybe giving the records to the school isn't looking so bad. But again, the record keeping sucks, the bureaucracy is totally bullshit, and I don't think anyone is really accurately collecting data if they are tracking it all based on school reporting.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

TheKennedys posted:

Oh look, the Happiest Measles Epidemic on Earth is up to 33 now.

On the bright side, CA's opt-out rates are falling.

Yeah, that's going up soon, too. 7 new cases in La Mesa (San Diego County) yesterday, all unvaxxed siblings, 2 of whom were at Disneyland on December 18th. They came home and infected their 4 siblings and a close family friend. The whole family went to the mall last week to ride the carousel (yay! more kids!), and then yesterday they all showed up unannounced at a health clinic and exposed more than 40 people in the waiting room before anyone mentioned possible measles and they were isolated and the place closed for disinfection. Luckily the 40+ patients in the waiting room all currently appear to be vaccinated, but the county health department has released a list of several places the sick people have been in the last week that has several contagion concerns (fitness centers, pharmacies, a carousel)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Fionnoula posted:

Yeah, that's going up soon, too.

3 more! We've now got 13 in San Diego. And for some reason, every time they get another one the health department comes out with their list of possible contacts, it always contains like 3-5 grocery stores. Who the hell shops at that many different grocery stores? I sure hope they're all taking the time to stop and cough all over the produce, that would sure be a big help to us all.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...lFlowFB_CTBrand

I'm not a physicist, but gravity seems a little extreme to me. I mean...isn't it just as likely that there is a giant magnet in the earth, and we are just held in place because of the metal in our bodies? Also lizard people.

"I think I was out for 3 days." Interesting, since measles is contagious 4 days before and 4 days after the rash appears. How very irresponsible of your doctors and parents, or perhaps just you're a loving moron who doesn't know what the gently caress they are talking about.

Also, "Disneyland is a source of ongoing measles transmission", according to the Orange County Health Department, as now 5 employees have come down with it as well. Two of the employees infected were fully vaccinated, causing the anti-vaxxers to take to the comments sections of every article they can find, screaming "It looks like vaccination doesn't help after all! GOTCHA!" Yes, and seatbelts don't always save you in a car accident either, so you should definitely not use them.

I'm off to sit on hold forever in an attempt to get my Disneyland tickets refunded. We got tickets for the first week in February through a program where they offer extremely discounted tickets to Californians with permanent disabilities...unfortunately, my immune-compromised child who recently had surgery won't be enjoying his day at the 'Land this year.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Five-Disneyland-Employees-Contracted-Measles-Health-Officials-289259921.html

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

OwlFancier posted:

I would pay money to have an RFID tag installed in me, if only so I could replace my door locks with RFID scanners and open them with MAGIC POWERS.

What are microchips supposed to do to you, did they watch too much star trek and think that gluing bits of electronics onto you is how the borg assimilate you?

They're going to let the gubmint spy on you! Totally unlike the cellphones we all carry and the inordinate amount of extremely personal poo poo they post on social media.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

torpedan posted:

Well that certainly is the pick-me-upper I needed today. There are a lot of factors which will be at play, but even if everyone is vaccinated and not immunocompromised we will see more cases.

Just going off what information is I the article, given that's the place is a medical establishment I would half expect more adults to have been exposed than children. The number seems more like a how many children were present at the time as opposed to a real estimate. I hope anyway.
Phoenix Children's East Valley Center is a satellite of Phoenix Children's Hospital that (according to its website) houses specialty clinics including cardiology, oncology, neurology, nephrology, pulmonology. You know, all the big ones for immune compromised kids and children with special needs. If it's anything like the Children's Hospital were I take my kid, there's a hugely increased ratio of kids with really big medical issues over a regular hospital. This could really be a huge loving problem.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
From a comment on a friend's facebook status

some idiot posted:

My point is not to be associated as an anti-vaxxer but rather pro health. There's just not enough research out there with regard to vaccinations. I'm pro-health"

This guy isn't even one or the other at this point. It's not a big conspiracy to make money by evil corporations, it's not a big conspiracy by the evil government. It's just..."I don't like it just because."

HOW MUCH GODDAMN RESEARCH DO YOU NEED? Give me a loving number, I guarantee you that number was exceeded decades ago. It's just a sort of generalized feeling that they don't like vaccination and they don't know why so they'll set up this moving goalpost that can *never* be satisfied, all the while thinking they're the rational party in the discussion because after all, they're not a crazy antivaxxer - antivaxxers are the crazies. But they aren't one, because they're really just "pro health", not "anti-vax".

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

PT6A posted:

Can you get vaccinated for measles as an adult? I know some people who weren't vaccinated because the vaccine didn't exist when they were growing up, and I'm wondering if they should pursue it now before they get the actual disease.

You can. The standard CDC recommendations are that anyone born before 1957 likely does NOT need the MMR vaccine, because they almost certainly were exposed in childhood and have immunity. Adults born after 1957 who do not have verification that they were vaccinated and did not have measles as a child are recommended to speak to their doctor about having their titers read to determine if they need it. Adults with no immunity are recommended to receive 1 or 2 doses, at their doctor's discretion.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

PT6A posted:

1954 and 1952, respectively, for the people I'm talking about. One told me flat out that he never had measles and was worried where there was a bit of a local outbreak here, but I suppose he might have been exposed and built up immunity to it anyway. I did for chicken pox -- never had it, but I got tested for antibodies before I got the vaccine, and lo and behold, I was already immune.

They could probably get their titers read anyway, although they may end up having to pay for it out of pocket. I had this conversation with my mother (born in 1954) the other day and she said she specifically remembers "the year we all got measles. I mean everyone in the whole school. and then the mumps. EVERYBODY." but she also just requested to have her titers read anyway because my kid's disability means we spend a lot of time around other families with disabled, immune-compromised kids; her doctor was fine with running all the tests for her to allay her concerns about unknowingly putting others at risk.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Zeitgueist posted:

Also, getting chicken pox doesn't give you permanent immunity, in rare cases you can get chicken pox twice. As always, vaccination is the best option.

Or you can be super awesome like my brother and get chicken pox twice and then shingles twice...before the age of 25. And here I am with some sort of freak immunity to chickenpox, despite having never gotten it. I guess he took the bullet for me, thanks bro!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Zeitgueist posted:

If man had vaccine gun this would not have happened.

Children of the 1970s, varicella vax didn't exist then.
Really what we all need is to figure out how to aerosolize the vaccines so we can put them in the chemtrails!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

OwlFancier posted:

Actually one thing I noticed earlier, one of the weird people on that forum mentioned belladonna 6, are they actually taking deadly nightshade as a medicine?

Yes, and they're proudly giving it to their infants as well. Check out the "fact sheet" for Hyland's Baby Teething Tablets. http://www.hylands.com/news/teethinginfo.php
I particularly like the part where they say that even if your kid eats an entire bottle of them, it can't hurt them because there's nothing in it, but somehow it totally works anyway!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Faustian Bargain posted:

One of my friend's wife sure is posting a lot of anti-vax quackery, this time from a "naturopathic doctor".

Thing is we are having a birthday party soon and want to invite them since they have kids. Is it weird to want to ask them their kids' vaccination status? There will be a lot of babies at this party...

I work with this friend and I don't want things to go sideways if he's in the same boat as her.

Ehh, it can be awkward but it's important. It's right up there with "do you have guns in your house and if so, please show me where and how you store them before I let my child play over there" for me. Although you could try to ease into it - maybe mention to said coworker that your kid is going in for XYZ shot soon, does he remember that one being harder on his kids than the rest (for instance, my kid pretty much skated through all his vaccinations, but DTaP hit him pretty hard and he wasn't a happy camper for a few days) He might just offer up that they aren't vaxxed. If he says anything leading you to believe they've had at least some of the shots, he shouldn't be too weirded out by you asking if they are on schedule before extending an invitation.

If they're going to be offended by not getting invited, that's their problem - and maybe it's the first little step toward them realizing that their stupidass decision is going to affect their child negatively. There are repercussions to this decision, and some of those repercussions are that your children might be excluded from things for the greater good.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
http://www.modernalternativemama.com/2015/04/09/no-we-dont-owe-society-protection-by-vaccinating/

"We don't owe society the protection of vaccination, but society sure owes us access to public schools!"
Also please note, she feels super bad for families of immune compromised children because their lives must be really hard, so she will of course go out of her way to not provide those families with any kind of peace of mind such as the knowledge that said child's schoolmates aren't walking disease vectors.

The reaction if SB277 is pretty interesting to me, they've jumped right over the slippery slope argument and gone straight to "nazi stormtroopers with gigantic needles will smash my door in to forcibly vaccinate my children." From a state perspective, SB277 gives absolutely zero shits what you do about vcaccination as long as you homeschool.

And the anti-vaxxers smugly declaring that they will pull their children out of school if the bill passes as a political statement and some sort of major trump card on their part? Yeah, you go right ahead and show us all who is boss by doing exactly what the law intends. They fail to take into account that the areas which have the highest rates of nonvaccinated children who also have a parent who would be able to become a stay-at-home so they could homeschool aren't actually hurting for the pisspoor funding they get from the state (California is 49th out of 51 for funding per student) because those areas have tons of local funding anyway.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
SB277 passed the Judiciary Committee today. Now it's moving on to Appropriations. I didn't get to hear all the testimony but what I did hear was pretty goddamned insane. Claims that "biological vaccination status is like skin color, you can't discriminate based on that!" and "this will violate my child's right to FAPE" (FAPE is a special education term - Free and Appropriate Public Education, which is guaranteed by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. It's also a ridiculous argument because FAPE doesn't mean your kid gets a free and appropriate public education if you choose to not comply with standard admissions requirements.) Committee chair had to cut off an NYU law professor several times during testimony after she said the requirement was coercion tantamount to rape and then somehow wandered into a fantasy land where parents in California would be jailed for not vaccinating.

The opponents who testified were all quick to point out that their "child with a biological vaccination status of "unvaccinated" isn't a threat or a danger to anyone." An hour after the vote came in (5:1, Anderson's a dumbass who somehow still thinks Catholics can't vaccinate and children who can't be vaccinated due to medical reasons shouldn't be allowed an education), I got a call from my son's school. We have an active pertussis case in a PBE waivered, non-vaccinated student! We also have a medically fragile classroom, with 8 students with severe, complex medical conditions who will now likely all be missing school until the incubation period is passed...so basically up to 21 days from now. Not a threat. Nosirree.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
SB277 (removing of personal belief exemption from school vaccinations in California) just passed the Senate floor in a 25-10 vote this morning. Moving on to the Assembly next, will likely stop off in at least one committee before hitting the floor.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

pentyne posted:

Well, CA has overwhelming passed a law ending exceptions to vaccines. I wonder what strategy the anti-vax parents will now take to try and not vaccinate their kids.

No, we haven't yet. It passed the Senate. Still needs to go through the Assembly (including committees) before it can go to the governor. The antivaxxers are pushing hard on assemblypersons with talking points about "parental rights" because they seem to have realized that their "science isn't real" argument didn't do them many favors at the Senate level. I think it will likely take longer to get through the Assembly, their committees are huge compared to the Senate and there are just so many more Assemblymembers to get all on one page.

The Senate vote was quite interestingly partisan. It was a 25-10 vote (4 either abstained or were not present and we currently have one empty seat). The Yea votes were 22 Democrats, 3 Republicans. Nays were 8 Republicans and 2 Democrats. Abtained members were 3 Republicans (one who had voted against it in committee and one who had voted for it in committee) and 1 Democrat. I didn't think it was that partisan an issue. I'm interested to see if that carries over into the Assembly, where we currently have 52 sitting Democrats to 28 Republicans.

First step in the Assembly will be for it to go to the Assembly Rules Committee, which will assign it to whatever Assembly committees it needs to to through (it went through 3 in the Senate (Health, Education, Judiciary), it was slated for 4 but at the last minute, Senator Pan amended it to remove a reporting requirement which meant it didn't have to be heard in Appropriations).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Keeshhound posted:

Where do the Libertarians fall on this? My initial assumption is that they'd be opposed to it as an expansion of government power and they'd put pressure on more conventional Republicans to block it.

Lotta' people are voicing their displeasure over it though.

Libertarians are squarely against it and yeah, they're pushing the Republicans as we don't actually have any libertarian representation.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Governor Brown signed SB277 into law *without any changes* (he hobbled our previous vaccination bill at the last second)! Antivaxxers are already planning to sue over it. Also, California SB792 just got referred to committee this morning. SB792 requires daycare workers to be vaccinated against pertussis, measles, and influenza. The antivaxxers are framing this as FORCED ADULT VACCINATIONS.

SB277 was amended in the Assembly to allow for a sort-of somewhat grandfathering - children who hold a PBE issued before the law takes effect (January 1, 2016), will maintain that exemption until they hit the next mandatory vaccination check. So essentially anyone entering kindergarten this fall can get a PBE and avoid vaccination until middle school. We won't see the complete effect of the bill for 5 or 6 years.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Due date for California antivaxxers to turn in signatures for an Anti-SB277 ballot referendum was yesterday. It is currently looking as if they have fallen far short of the needed signatures. The anti groups on facebook are being publicly quite quiet while privately turning on one another. Apparently "someone" (i.e. those other antivax groups) are probably paid big pharma shills who "lost or stole boxes full of HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of signatures." And by lost or stole, I believe they mean that they spent something in the range of $200k on paid signature gatherers and still failed to collect enough.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

QuarkJets posted:

But did Robert De Niro know that? Probably not. He probably assumed it was just another interesting documentary about a topic with a lot of national interest. Normally this would be fine. “But after reviewing it over the past few days with the Tribeca Film Festival team and others from the scientific community, we do not believe it contributes to or furthers the discussion I had hoped for.”

I see absolutely nothing wrong with reversing course on this after consulting with experts. Yes, he probably should have educated himself on this sooner, but for a movie festival that standard is a bit unreasonable.

DeNiro has a child with autism. I guarantee he knows about Wakefield and the craziness about autism and vaccines.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BarbarianElephant posted:

The hospital where my baby was born *would* have done it, but they said I had to check myself out, check in again and wait (probably hours) to do it. A bit of unnecessary bureaucracy that I didn't want to deal with at the same time as dealing with a newborn. And I assumed it would be quite simple to get it (boy was I wrong.) I know there's a pharmacy in a nearby city that will do it (by appointment) but my baby is 3 now, hardly seems worth it.

Are you in the United States? I got my last TDaP at the county department of public health. $10 a vax visit, for as many shots as they can cram into you! (Except varicella, they don't give varicella to people over 18 because it's expensive and the assumption is anyone over 18 who hasn't already been vaxxed against it probably already had chickenpox. Which left me in a vacuum as I haven't and have zero titers but no one wanted to give it to me, I was at the time uninsured, and it's over $300 for the full course).

I'd get it if you could because you still know people with babies, right? Like your 3 year old probably has playmates who might be acquiring younger siblings soon? You don't want to increase the risk to other people's babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Yeah, I got that done when I immigrated. It was a hellish 3 hour line. It'd be quicker to make an appointment at the pharmacy in the next city that I mentioned.

Ouch. I've never had more than a couple people in there when I've gone. I just try to avoid school enrollment periods, when everyone suddenly realizes their kid isn't up to date and rushes down there the day before the paperwork is due.

• Locked thread