Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

The-Mole posted:

At the Waldorf Elementary School here in Eugene, Oregon, 70% of kids are unvaccinated!

The solution to this has been to end any and all vaccine exemptions unless determined to be medically necessary by a physician. You're not legally allowed to let your diabetic child die because you believe in prayer over insulin, you shouldn't be allowed to deprive your children of potentially life saving vaccines because Dr. Oz said not to.

Oregon recently instituted new policies requiring parents to actually visit a pediatrician before getting a vaccine exemption. The policies just got put in place this month so we won't know how effective they are.

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2014/02/oregon_vaccination_rate_may_in.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

rkajdi posted:

You might want to check on that. We've been allowing Christian Scientists to kill their children over BS religious rules for awhile now. The US in particular seems more than willing to kill children because of their parent's outmoded thoughts, which is somewhat ironic considering how regressively anti-abortion we tend to be.

It's getting a little better; there have been some criminal convictions for this sort of gross negligence.

Wisconsin court upheld the conviction of parents who let their child die from lack of insulin.

This article by Harriet Hall has a good summary of a few cases and it's not as clear cut as "Sky wizard said no medicine" being carte blanche for disposing of your offspring. Parents can and do face criminal convictions for murdering their children though sentences range all the way from gross negligence and 90 days to life in prison.

One thing that I didn't realize and frankly pisses me off beyond reason is the the ACA requires insurers cover bullshit treatments like prayer.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ReidRansom posted:

The cynic in me expects that a market for exemption-friendly doctors is just going to pop up similar to what you see for medical marijuana, negating some of the potential impact.

That's a definite possibility . Hopefully the state medical board isn't so timid that it won't go after doctors like this because failure to provide appropriate counseling on vaccination is absolutely a breach of standard of care. I know the American Academy of Pediatrics is taking a very aggressive stance on the subject. There's a debate right now as to whether pediatricians should dismiss patients from their practices for refusing vaccinations. From what I understand they're working on a formal policy statement but there has definitely (and rightfully so) been an upswing in patients being dismissed from practices for being anti-vaccination morons.

I know that if I found out my kid's pediatrician was anti-vaccination I would immediately file a complaint with their hospital/practice group and the state medical board. They should not be allowed to continue practicing medicine.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I doubt there's a serious anti-vaccination contingent among actual doctors, but I've been surprised before.

I would like to think so, but I can totally envision concierge practices emerging where they promise not to bother parents about vaccinations beyond the legally minimum discussion necessary for them to get their exemption. It's not unlike some doctors labeling themselves as "fat friendly" and promising not to tell that if you don't lose weight and exercise you're going to have diabetes/hypertension/cardiovascular disease/death at a young age.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

This would be a good counter-argument if all diseases that we vaccinated against were horrible, awful diseases, but then you've got stuff like chicken pox. Chicken pox is very rarely fatal, it's just uncomfortable as hell for a week. That is, as long as you get chicken pox when you're relatively young, because it can really wreck you if you get it while you're an adult (75% of deaths are in adults, versus <10% of the cases). And the vaccines for this aren't permanent, they're just good for a decade or so, so the only thing you're doing is pushing the disease off until a time when it's roughly 10x as lethal.

Vaccines are great for the lethal stuff, but they are medical treatment and do carry risks, and it's really unnecessary to take those risks for something as minor as chicken pox (unless there's some other risk factor that might make it worse for you). Sometimes just sucking it up and dealing with itchy blisters for a week is really the best course of action.
Thanks to chickenpox vaccination there's been about a 96% drop in deaths due to adult chickenpox in those under 50, and a 49% drop in deaths in adults over 50. There is a clear, unequivocal benefit to adults in mass vaccination against chickenpox.

Before vaccination the CDC clocked in about 18,000 hospital admissions a year and 150 deaths due to these "itchy blisters". We don't have great data on this because of the pervasiveness of your attitude - it's just "itchy blisters" and not a notifiable disease like measles; as best as can be told the actual impact was greater.

Between 1995 when the vaccine was first licensed and 2011 there were approximately 115 deaths attributed to the vaccine. It's estimated that the number of deaths prevented every year is over 100 with about 10,000 hospitalizations a year prevented. Chickenpox also has a massive economic impact in terms of lost school days and lost work days from parents tending to their children, completely aside from the costs associated with thousands upon thousands of hospital days.

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 26, 2014

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CommanderApaul posted:

My uncles wife is hardcore into this poo poo, including getting her "Doctor of Naturopathy" from Trinity School of Natural Health. Yes, you are a doctor from an online program that cost you less than $5,000, you "finished a 5-year program in 2 years," and I should listen to you over my GP and my neurologist about my migraines.

One of the most frightening things about naturopathy is that there are very active movements, along with other quacks like chiropractors, to use legislative alchemy to be considered primary care providers. Assuming they are successful in turning poo poo into gold insurance companies will be required to cover their services under anti-discrimination clause of section 2706 of the Affordable Care Act.

Think about that. A Not-Doctor with a degree bought and paid for from a diploma mill will be reimbursed just like a real doctor would.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tigntink posted:

All of my insurance options i've had in the past in Seattle have allowed for chiro and naturalopath visits to be covered. It sort of shocked me. My sister also only sees a naturalopath and even pays out of pocket because shes military. Totally blows my mind.

I can't wrap my head around why an insurance company would piss away money paying for services that are of absolutely no material benefit in maintaining health when they're as tightfisted as they are about legitimate medical care. I'm sure there's been some kind of cost-benefit analysis done but I can't see how it would ever come out in the quack's favor.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, and if my aunt had a dick, she would be my uncle might choose to identify as my uncle should that align with her gender identity.

More seriously, I heard that NPR was going to have a story on this afternoon about what things during pregnancy now appear the most likely culprits for causing autism, though I wasn't able to catch the story itself. Not that it'd matter a whit to your standard anti-vaxxer, of course, but the rest of us might benefit from it.

There has been some noise made about the oxytocin used to induce labor might correlate with autism later in life. I'll try to dig up an article or something when I get home but frankly it doesn't pass the smell test and there a lot of confounding factors to consider. You don't induce labor "just because" being the biggest one. In the meantime, pity the poor ob/gyn and the likelihood we could see lawsuits out of this.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

CottonWolf posted:

Well yeah, but they're not going to get the vaccine because they mistakenly believe that it's not safe. And ultimately there's not much you can do about that except legally mandating them to get the vaccine. I don't think that would fly politically even here in the UK, so I can only imagine how badly it would go over in the US.

Edit: As I'm unconvinced the people who believe that it's not safe are going to listen to reason when people say that it is.

Which is the reason "consciousness" objections for vaccination should be eliminated immediately. If a child is medically cleared to get a vaccine, which means they don't have any of a number of vanishingly rare conditions, then that child gets the vaccine, full stop.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Ah! Found the story I mentioned earlier.

Sounds like this is something other than what you were thinking of, Rhandhali, since that suggests the roots of autism lie well before labor and birth.

I hadn't seen that one before. I believe I was thinking of this study; it was certainly making the rounds a few months ago.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

Actually the newest tests take blood from the mother which contains enough fetal blood cells that have snuck in they can test that blood. You can do it exceedingly early, and this new technology will apply to a lot of different blood tests. My wife got the test in her first trimester.

Edit:I misinterpreted your post I thought you were saying something else, never mind

That's the fetal circulating DNA test. It's super expensive and not in wide use yet as far as I know; our hospital offers it but it's a send out totally out of pocket. I don't think any health plans cover it when the triple screen is so cheap. Even with a positive feta circulating DNA test they still move on to chorionic villus sampling/amniocentisis since those are considered the definitive tests.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
http://www.policymic.com/articles/86363/croatia-has-ended-the-anti-vaccine-debate-by-doing-what-the-u-s-won-t

Looks like Croatia got it right.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

sleepingbuddha posted:

I'm not antichiropractor, but there seems to be an awful lot of them that push unscientific, potentially dangerous "treatments".

You absolutely should be; the existence of chiropractic as a profession as a blight on the medical landscape.

sleepingbuddha posted:

This is not true and not helpful.
It means you care more about your own ego than the health and well being of your child. Parents who don't vaccinate are as unfit as that woman in Texas who drowned her kids in a tub. If you don't get the kids vaccinated you might as well stand by and watch them drown.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So mention was made of antivax "doctors"?

http://jezebel.com/meet-the-doctor-whos-suspiciously-flexible-about-vac-1555188482/all

quote:

Mother Jones has been on the forefront of reporting on the spread of parents who believe that not vaccinating their children is the healthy way to go. Now they've spoken with one doctor who has built her practice on supporting that mentality.

RELATED

Woman Who Was Never Vaccinated: I've Had Measles, Mumps, Meningitis
On Friday morning, the Australian website Mamamia republished an article originally written for the parent-led non-profit Voices for Vaccines by Amy… Read…
Dr. Stacia Kenet Lansman founded Pediatric Alternatives, located in Marin County in Northwest California, in 1998, an area of the country where a large number of families choosing not to vaccinate their children live. If you're concerned about data, Kenet Lansman's numbers look very good: she says that in the 16 years she's been open, she's never had a child come down with "a serious, life-threatening, vaccine-preventable illness."

Kenet Lansman doesn't believe in not vaccinating children, but she does believe in skipping vaccines like chicken pox and vaccinating children for other diseases on a "delayed schedule." She calls this an "open-minded vaccine policy" that focuses on "health and not illness." In the first year of a child's life, she recommends the vaccine for pertussis (whooping cough), which also vaccinates against diphtheria, and tetanus, and meningitis. In a video interview, Kenet Lansman told Mother Jones's Kiera Butler that this is because she's seen a rise of whooping cough over the years. (Interestingly, Marin County has the second highest infection of the disease in California.) Kenet Lansman doesn't recommend the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine until age three.

"My feeling is that if there's any risk that the vaccine is associated with autism, then we should delay the vaccine during this vulnerable developmental window," Kenet Lansman told Mother Jones, explaining that even though she knows there's no actual proof that the MMR vaccine causes autism, allergies or other diseases, "anecdotally," she's seen otherwise.

But as she admits, she and the parents she treats can afford to be choosy about when they vaccinate – for now. She's based her strategy on "what diseases are prevalent in the community."

"We live in a very healthy community," Kenet Lansman says. "The incidence of these illnesses are very low, not only here, but nationwide. And so it's safe to do a modified vaccine schedule, in my opinion," adding that during flu season, her office "tends to be quiet."

Comfortingly, other doctors Butler spoke to do not see eye-to-eye with this strategy. They pointed out the inherent short-sightedness and entitlement held by people who live in wealthy communities, who practice this type of vaccine avoidance. But why should something like that matter? If it's working for you, who cares about anyone else who might be dealing with a measles outbreak right now?

I hope the California Medical Board takes note of this. If they allow this woman to continue to hold a medical license in their state they have lost all legitimacy as the governing body of medical practitioners in that state.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

They generally don't, but it doesn't have to be good, it just has to be a hook.

My own anti-vax story: I have never taken the flu vaccine. Now, I'm not anti-vax. Well, not now. There was that decade I spent as a hardcore libertarian... but that's not why. My grandmother was one of the few who contracted Guillain–Barré syndrome after the 1970s flu vaccinations, so I've always refused on family medical history grounds. I know, the link is weak, but I've always figured, better safe than sorry... and anyway, that's part of what mass vaccination is for, right? Herd immunity, to protect those who can't be vaccinated?

I sometimes wonder if I should do it but I've never had a doctor tell me I was crazy, and that's several doctors in several states, I'm certainly not cherrypicking.

You know that you are more likely to get GBS with an active case of inflenza than you would be with the vaccine, yes? GBS is only an absolute contraindication within if it's happened in the past six weeks before vaccination; after that it's just a relative contraindication and there's no real evidence that you're likely to get it again. If anything you're more likely to get GBS again if you aren't vaccinated and get the flu.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
To answer why chiropractic is still allowed to exist, the American chiropractic association filed a restraint of trade suit against the AMA. Until that point the AMA had an ethical principle that medicine was supposed to a scientific, evidence based field and practitioners could be sanctioned for associating with or providing referrals to members of the "unscientific cult" of chiropractic.

The chiropractors sued, and won on the basis of free trade and antitrust law. It's been downhill from there.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilk_v._American_Medical_Association

Rhandhali fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 2, 2014

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tigntink posted:

gently caress. Someone with contagious measles visited all the Seattle tourist spots, including a concert at key arena and pike place market.

I want to check if I have real immunity, is that just a test I can ask for at the lab at my doctors office? I work in that area. :(

You can ask for an antibody titer test; I don't know how common they are or how much they cost. Probably not cheap though.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ravenfood posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-26954482

On that note, its possible that Tamiflu is essentially as effective as acetaminophen, so hopefully there are a shitton more controlled studies on the efficacy of medications in general. Drug manufacturing and testing is totally hosed up, as are medical studies in general. When people can straight-facedly publish papers saying "well, our data wasn't anywhere close to statistically significant, but we're gonna publish anyhow because it was clinically significant and treat it like we hit that 95% CI..." I wonder about the field. Yes, clinical significance is important and worth mentioning to other clinicians because of how hard it can be to actually do studies in hospital populations, especially ICU. But goddamn, don't try and make people think it was statistically significant too.

So yeah, I can see why it initially caught on too, and I don't blame low-information people for being suckered into it. I just think we need to have better education on what a good study is and isn't.

It seems to work reasonably well in patients that have really severe influenza; the people that have to go to the ICU and things like that. The problem is it's kind of given out like candy now to anyone with flu like symptoms so we're starting to see resistance develop. Hooray.
http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-tamiflu-spin/

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Vaccishield - Yes, you can apparently just make poo poo up and people will buy it.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/vaccishield-pixie-dust-for-an-imaginary-threat/

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

LeJackal posted:

Pretty much all our salt has iodine added. You can get iodine-free salt if you really want but it takes a modicum of effort because it is a 'specialty' salt and is placed with kosher salt and the like.

I'm so used to all table salt being iodized (kosher salt typically isn't) that it really weirded me out when I got to Australia and you could buy non-iodized table salt in the grocery store.

I also learned when I was in Mongolia it's a crime to sell non-iodized salt; apparently iodine is in such short supply in the diet there that they've taken illegal salt sellers seriously to task and have had more than one trial for guys trying to sell like road salt out in the provinces.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Feeding your kids is good, but I think it should be left up to voluntary choice. The government shouldn't come in and tell me how to dispose of my property, ie smaller defenseless human beings.

You might not be able to get away with starving your kids but depriving of say, insulin or life saving chemotherapy for an essentially curable leukemia is by and large A-OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Blarghalt posted:

It's handy to remember at times like this that Alex Jones has always been a fundamentalist Baptist and everything he's ever said (despite his pleas that he's apolitical) has come from a far-right viewpoint.

It's also Alex Jones, pretty much the reference case for conspiracy crazy. Jones runs infowars, a site that I best remember for having "reporters" crashing FBI press conferences on the Boston Marathon bombing and ranting about whether it was a false flag operation.

• Locked thread