Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Doesn't seem that unfair to me? They give you the [Android] app free as part of the subscription, but when you stop subscribing, you no longer have the app?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Rasplex

I wanted to add some details about the unexpected most used device in my house, my Raspberry Pi + Rasplex. This is comparable to Rasbmc (for XBMC) but using Plex Home Theatre instead. You will get a full Plex Home Theatre installation, all your album/series artwork and metadata available (as you do in Plex) and you can cast to it from the Plex apps and Plex.tv. Airplay is here too, but I've not used it personally. One large feature I find I use the most is that HDMI CEC works well in Rasplex, in other words, if your TV supports it, commands from it's remote will go to Rasplex. It's working flawlessly on my Sony BRAVIA from 2010, and I've never had to connect a keyboard (even for setup). This is the unique selling point that caused my girlfriend to start using it more than anything else.

Important Links:

My setup (which I would recommend):
  • Raspberry Pi Model B with 512mb RAM
  • HDMI CEC Capable TV (as described above)
  • A speedy Class 10 SD Card (however, any SD card will do if you do the optional step below)
  • Optional but recommended: A speedy USB Flash Drive to run RasPlex from - here are the instructions I wrote for doing so
  • The latest Rasplex install, at the time of writing this is 0.4.0-RC1. Currently it's better to use the RC versions than the last stable version (which was 0.3.1 - there is an explanation on the FAQ)

Also, after installing it, be sure to do the precaching process (changes quite a bit, currently a menu option if you press left on the main menu as of 0.4.0-RC1). This speeds things up a lot.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Mar 31, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Atomicated posted:

How well does the Cloud sync work? With the price drop on Google Drive hosting I'm really tempted to start using it as a Plex server.

In my experience, it's far from perfect. I've found it has trouble uploading some items and there are lots of reports of items getting stuck in the "uploading to the cloud" status. However, it has worked. I like the concept of it a lot, since when I'm out on the road I can have my server transcode and upload content for me remotely... when it works.

Roundboy posted:

I have a rp just sitting around. So this is taking the place of the chomecast and android plex control?

I was considering the new roku stick for the same, but this seems like a no brainer to set up.

The only issue is that my hdtvs seemingly won't work remote wise, but I'm assuming universal remotes would work too

Yes it could take the place of a Chromecast. I have both and use them interchangeably at the moment. Since you've got a spare Pi I would go for it. Even if you didn't, I would have said throw it on a spare SD card and try it (since changing OSes on the Pi is basically changing the SD card)

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

The Gunslinger posted:

Filebot and The Renamer are both good, the latter has a terrible custom UI but once you figure it out its probably the most accurate I've found.

And further to this, the typical output on both of these options worked well when I fired up plex on my media library. It was already (mainly) organised by The Renamer but FileBot looked like it would do the trick well too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

Newbie question: I'm streaming Plex onto my TV through a hardwired PS4 in the web browser. Would getting a chrome cast or roku stick stream higher bitrate HD to my TV?

It would almost certainly be easier, and I would think a bit rate boost is plausible.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

teagone posted:

The Lenovo TS140 with a Core-i3 can be had for around $250-$300. Has 4 HDD bays I believe.

[edit] http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-ThinkServer-TS140-70A4000HUX-Computer/dp/B00F6EK9J2 $262 shipped fulfilled by Amazon.

One final question, what's the fan noise like on those? I'm currently using an old C2D laptop with a very quiet fan but it's been choking on some transcoding. I've been searching for the best but near-silent NAS+Downloader+Plex+Crashplan machine (probably to use something like OpenMediaVault/UbuntuServer+PMS+Crashplan on) but it has to be in my living room.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

What's the cheapest way to get Plex on a SD TV? Is there a Wii home-brew client? or any RCA cable DNLA devices?

Possibly Rasplex on a Raspberry Pi, and using the RCA out cable and 3.5mm audio cable?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Housh posted:

Awesome. Always wanted an excuse for a PI.

I wrote a post on using them on the first page.

They work like champs over HDMI too when you upgrade to HD TV...

BTW... Why a standard definition TV?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does your TV have a built in Plex app? If so, yeah it'll work pretty much flawlessly. Plex is pretty much as easy as it gets for a streaming home soloution.

DNLA is also an excellent option, and works well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just had an email newsletter, PlexPass rates go up on 29 September. Lifetime cost is doubling! Only affects new subscriptions after that date.

Edit: Plex blog post on the subject

Edit again: if you want a lifetime pass for $79, purchase it now before the increase takes effect.

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 22, 2014

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just a 2 days to go warning... The prices increase on Monday. Purchase PlexPass now to avoid the higher prices.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
What sort of upload speeds do people have for remote streaming? It chugs on my 1mbit up

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Heads up that Plex have released their Android TV supporting Plex Media Server v0.9.11.1. However, also note that PlexPass is required during the preview period (at least according to the Android app releases forum post)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Plex for Android free today (30 Oct 2014) in the Amazon app store: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/

Also free in the international app store, for example:
http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/
http://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B004Y1WCDE/
... But not the UK one.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

kri kri posted:

Is the amazon store version really old still?

I'll be honest, I only installed the Amazon app store so I get this for free in case I ever own Amazon hardware. I have absolutely no idea and my mind was too full of "must save a hypothetical $5" to process anything else.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

Nexus Player
I was testing with 1080p x264 mkvs.

That's the issue. Lots of users are reporting issues with 1080p content on Plex on the Nexus Player. I last looked a week ago but there was no meaningful info beyond basically that.

Edit: I'm affected in a similar way too.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cornjob posted:

Has anyone else tried Openelec + plex? (not Plexbmc). I tried it the other day and have had some issues.

link: https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/topic/87943-openelec-plex-home-theater-the-all-in-one-pht-distro/

Took me a while to realize exactly why this wasn't Rasplex, but looks neat now that I understand. FWIW, I use Rasplex daily for over a year.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cornjob posted:

I have a RPi B+, and my experience is that it performs better with Openelec +xbmc than Rasplex.

I've not tested in comparison, but what makes you say that necessarily? I've been very happy with RPi B (not B+) with Rasplex installed on a USB Flash Drive.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

eddiewalker posted:

It doesn't seem like the most cost-efficient device for the purpose and you're stuck with external storage.

The ThinkServer TS140 is currently the darling child for Plex/storage servers ots I believe.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there an easy way to rename all my TV shows to match the Plex format?

FileBot or theRenamer

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Maneki Neko posted:

I bought Plex lifetime back in 2015 and have more than gotten my monies worth. They've been good about moving the platform forward and adding features and I don't see that changing anytime soon for the enthusiast market.

I agree, I've had it since about 2013, bought for $75 and worth EVERY penny.

Look, if you must, look at what it gives now and how long you think it would last even if they did turn on their own userbase and start charging above and beyond. Is that worth $75? I assessed that even if I only had a couple of years of service before I moved to something I liked more I'd be happy. It's worked out.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

H110Hawk posted:

This is patently wrong. Cat5 (no e, but good luck buying something not labeled 5e) is good for 100meters of gigabit ethernet.

I have cable labelled Cat5e in my walls and I do get gigabit through it. We're I to fit it now I would put in Cat6 (or greater), but I'm not going to swap out the Cat5e yet, it's working just fine.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
To everyone who's asking "Is Plex Pass worth it?". I have had Plex Pass for almost 6 years, yes it is worth it.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Let me be sure I have this right. For h265 direct play support:
* Shield is the outright darling
* Fire TV Stick 4k is the cheap one? (Limited to 35mbps and questionable audio support)
* Fire TV Cube is the middle cost one? (Same restiction as 4k stick)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'll be honest, the truehd audio part also worries me [buy a Shield], most of my out of copyright educational works use TrueHD [buy a Shield, you want it] and I'm on a war against Transcoding [therefore a Shield, permission granted]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Qwijib0 posted:

I'm looking to replace an ancient nvidia ion box running the now defunct Plex media player distro.

If I want a similar appliance experience, is a shield the best option for the widest format compatibility with little hassle? Can it be configured to just boot into the Plex interface?

Yes except the boot to Plex bit. You could have Plex as your first app on the home screen requiring a single press of the centre button on the remote to open it (we do).